or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Airport 2.0 Released

Airport 2.0 Released

post #1 of 7
woohoo!

all i want though is support for a PPPoE Software Base Station under OS X...

taken from macnn:
AirPort 2.0 adds AOL, 128-bit support

Apple today released AirPort 2.0 software as well as an updated AirPort base station. Version 2.0 of the software supports AOL 5.0 (US only), 128-bit encryption, CISCO Leap clients, integrated firewall protection, and RADIUS support for centrally manage user access control. (Note that encryption for original AirPort Base Stations will remain 40-bit, while AirPort cards are updated to support 128-bit encryption via firmware.) Apple is also shipping new AirPort Base stations that support up to 128-bit encryption, offer two Ethernet ports, and support up to 50 users on a single base station. [Website updated, but software not available online nor via OS X; use OS 9 control panel]
post #2 of 7
Cool new white base station.

post #3 of 7
i like the new color. a perfect compliment for my iBook...
post #4 of 7
Now I just gotta find someone who will buy my 3 month old base station off eBay

Mac Guru
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral...
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral...
post #5 of 7
I can't get the update for some reason (I'm in Mac OS X 10.1 w/Security Update).

Any way, does anyone know if your Mac will still connect to your 'old' base station after upgrading it to 2.0?

I'm a little wary of upgrading, only to find out my 'old' base station is unable to see my Mac.
post #6 of 7
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>I can't get the update for some reason (I'm in Mac OS X 10.1 w/Security Update).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Try again. It is available via Software Update under X now as well.

[quote]<strong>Any way, does anyone know if your Mac will still connect to your 'old' base station after upgrading it to 2.0?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just did the upgrade to 2.0. The update also includes new software for the base station. The install requires a restart of your Mac, but apparently not of the base station. Interesting. So far it's working just fine for me.

Escher
(with a 2-year old base station)
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #7 of 7
[quote]Originally posted by Escher:
<strong>The install requires a restart of your Mac, but apparently not of the base station. Interesting. So far it's working just fine for me.

Escher
(with a 2-year old base station)</strong><hr></blockquote>

The new v2.0 of the AirPort Admin Utility uploaded new software to my base station and restarted it.

Btw. a bug where the AirPort connection was lost after sleep is now fixed
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Airport 2.0 Released