or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's tabletmac patent acquired

Apple's tabletmac patent acquired

post #1 of 52
MacObserver
MacDailyNews

EDIT: Links fixed
~ Paul
~ Paul
post #2 of 52
Dude! Fix your link!

This here is the real link
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #3 of 52
hmm, guy in Picture not wearing turtleneck....
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #4 of 52
And not a flapping keyboard in sight!!!!

V/R,

Aries 1B

Edit:

Note the happy smile on the guy in figure 9?
He's smiling because he's using an Apple Tablet.
He's using The Tablet that changes the world.
He's using The Tablet that snuffs out the wretched, misbegotten, examples to be avoided Windows OS tablets that currently blight the world.

To repeat a promise that I made years ago: If Apple releases this, I will post a video of myself skipping my Palm m515 across/into a lake.
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #5 of 52
It's the same old iBook lid we've seen for a while now, right?

I bet if they do make a tablet it'll be 16x9 aspect ratio.

(I realize patent illustrations are not exact implementations)
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #6 of 52
Can i suggest a name?

iTab
post #7 of 52
You might want to change the link again. MacObserver has been SlashDotted. :P
post #8 of 52
Nothing new.

From 12/10/2003 Digitimes article: Link

Hmmmm.....

The Register caught wind of it in August of 2004: Link

Nothing credible about either source, but it is available from the US Patent Office website. Let's not forget, Apple patents lots of things that never see the light of day.
...we have assumed control
post #9 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by sherpa_74
Can i suggest a name?

iTab

Maybe if Apple were starting up LSD production....
"The world is all that is the case"
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein
post #10 of 52
gotta be smaller...

and a flippable screen with keyboard woulda been great...

Anyway, TabletPCs are suck. Don't see why Apple should get into the Tablet market too.

A 6-8 inch screen size would be cool with mini keyboard or something...
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #11 of 52
This may be a really stupid question...but I was wondering what the advantages are to getting a tabletmac would be. I am in the market for a powerbook...should I wait until the tabletmac comes out? Are they comparable to each other?
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by RYANQ
This may be a really stupid question...but I was wondering what the advantages are to getting a tabletmac would be. I am in the market for a powerbook...should I wait until the tabletmac comes out? Are they comparable to each other?

As the saying goes... If you have the need now... buy it now..

Although, as several people have posted here, this tablet patent stuff is fairly old news... and I wouldnt hold your breath for an Apple Tablet... Not sure where he said it but Stevo pretty much shot the idea down in flames about a year and a half ago in an interview...

Then again he promised us 3Ghz a year after the G5 release too... and George W got re-elected... so stranger things haave happened!
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein
post #13 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Aries 1B
... To repeat a promise that I made years ago: If Apple releases this, I will post a video of myself skipping my Palm m515 across/into a lake.

Please send it to me. I'll send you an M500 or something similar you can skip across the lake, and pretend it was the M515.

To forestall anyone else asking: This is a design patent. This means that they intend to release a product that looks almost exactly like the figure. The design patent prohibits anyone from making a product which looks almost exactly like it.

So, we can infer that there is a new product which looks almost exactly like the figure. Of interest is the fact that there is no apparent stylus, controls, or connector other than what appears to be an iPod dock connector at the bottom, and a round circle near the top.

My guess is the round circle is a power switch. The guy is tapping it with his finger...

(edit) So it's probably a video iPod. It won't function as an organizer, it'll just be a read-only thing like the iPod. So you'll probably want to keep the M515.
post #14 of 52
Let me be the first (even before any specs are released ):

screen is too big/small
too heavy
too slow
not enough RAM
video chipset is slow/out-of-date
battery life is too short
wireless range is poor
not enough expansion

</tongue in cheek>
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO
gotta be smaller...

Anyway, TabletPCs are suck. Don't see why Apple should get into the Tablet market too.

A 6-8 inch screen size would be cool with mini keyboard or something...

Hehe. You got that right. Tablets really suck at input. Maybe if it had a specialized finger GUI and Wacom input tablet flip cover on it, but otherwise, tablets as implemented by MS are useless short of the micro-niche markets (which don't need to have much input).

One just needs to look at why RIM is waxing compared to Palm or WinCE. They can barely replace pencil and paper notebooks as it stands now.
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO
gotta be smaller...

Apple's already got one of those.

Have you ever used a mini-keyboard? Proof that there is a hell, IMO.

I'm not sure how is a tablet is useful where a laptop woldn't be more useful. The only thing I can think of is the UPS dude, and I don't see Apple going after the package delivery market anytime soon. Oh, and the restaurant business! The clerks at McDonalds could use tablets and punch at food icons on the screen!
post #17 of 52
I think that it's concievable that the next generations powerbooks may all have the ability to function this way and will sport a fully rotating display (and for the love of god a G5 processor)
post #18 of 52
I'm used to typing out SMS with my thumb since 8 years... I know small input

anyway, by input it would be nice even an on-screen keyboard... although they arent the best thing.

I would imagine this is the reincarnation of somekind of Newton (or the technology at least)

I'd love a PocketPC type device. They're getting better and better. An all screen device. Like the fake mini tablet from Spymac a few years back.

Bah, we'll see what mamma Apple dishes out.

Then again, they may NEVER actually market it.

Honestly, seeing that the tablet market is very very speialized and small, I dont see why Apple would waste resources. Again, if Apple could make a screen flippable device (iBook/PowerBook base) that flips on itself, that would be awesome. Then again, others have done it and I think it wasnt really successful.

Maybe it could be a wireless device with a base station...

like a next gen iMac Mini with WiFi and this is the screen to it that you can use a bit everywhere in the house. Horsepower done by the Mini and then image sent to the Tablet.

I think this has been discussed maaaany many years ago (even back in 1998-1999).
post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
Apple's already got one of those.

Have you ever used a mini-keyboard? Proof that there is a hell, IMO.

I'm not sure how is a tablet is useful where a laptop woldn't be more useful. The only thing I can think of is the UPS dude, and I don't see Apple going after the package delivery market anytime soon. Oh, and the restaurant business! The clerks at McDonalds could use tablets and punch at food icons on the screen!

Tablets are great when you are in meetings or on the field and want to write stuff out and dont have a place to put a laptop to type. Or in university class or something where you gotta be mobile taking notes. OR in the living room, etc. But at home, I think people prefer using a keyboard to chat, type, etc.

Its a very niche product.

JYD, since when is the PB12inch screen flippable? Mine doesnt
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO
But at home, I think people prefer using a keyboard to chat, type, etc.

I don't think so.
With a usb port, u can connect a keyboard if u want
post #21 of 52
Quote:
I don't think so.
With a usb port, u can connect a keyboard if u want

Two problems with that:

1) Imagine that tablet with a standard keyboard. Try to keep both in your lap. Not gonna be very practical, so you'd have to be at a desk anyway.

2) The drawings in question have no visible ports. I could forsee this device being Bluetooth/Airport only for connectivity, but that has its own drawbacks.
post #22 of 52
how about a wifi enabled tablet style device that allows wireless control of a Apple home interface device... an iHome remote control. How sexy would that be?

edit: or something likethis . I know its an outdated article, but I can hope for it still.
post #23 of 52
it should to be used as a standalone device, thanks to a hard drive, the integrated display and the operating system. wifi conectivity. of course.

and the possibility to connect peripherals, keyboards, mouse, webcam, printers, external hard drives, ...

and it should be used as a peripheral for itself. As a external hard drive. Or as a display. Or just as a graphic tablet.

so it needs usb2, firewire or ethernet, in addition of bluetooth or airport express.

it's the only way to download or sync from iTunes store. Music... and maybe movies?
post #24 of 52
Quote:
so it needs usb2, firewire or ethernet, in addition of bluetooth or airport express.

No. It really doesn't need those ports. As I said, it could get by with nothing but Bluetooth and Airport. After all, what's the point of having a tablet slaved to an Ethernet cable?

Tablets really function best as light, special-purpose devices peripheral to a desktop machine. At most, I'd have a single USB 2.0 port on it, but Bluetooth handles a majority of what USB is needed for.
post #25 of 52
but the secret is portability.

so i want the possibility to connect everywhere to any other computer. that's the reason of a standard conection. just wireless makes it less versatile for my on the go lifestyle.
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Kesh
1) Imagine that tablet with a standard keyboard. Try to keep both in your lap. Not gonna be very practical, so you'd have to be at a desk anyway.

obviously, no keyboard has to be sold with it. u could use what u find, what u buy, or simply any desktop u have.
like the mini is sold with no display. and thus u can conect to the projector, screen or what u consider best.
it's not an integrated pc, like the imac concept. then it would become a pb, or a convertabook. that's a different idea.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kesh
2) The drawings in question have no visible ports. I could forsee this device being Bluetooth/Airport only for connectivity, but that has its own drawbacks.

Hei, apple has just patented an idea. And as you said, that drawings are just that. they will fill the computer with buttons. at least on-off

as i said before, it would become similar to something like this
post #27 of 52
To me, if Apple partnered and co-developed Medical Solutions a iTablet within the hundreds of thousands of medical professional, across various disciplines serving their various needs, would make Apple more than just a research solutions provider for the Bio fields.

Add the notion of its uses for Federal branches, depending on the form factor models this could be a professional hit in many arenas.

For the general consumer this would not be a big win.
post #28 of 52
For the same reason they find simple mice essential, I think an iTablet would be loved by parents. Mine are in their 60s and typing is not second nature to them, but writing is. Given a sensible price I think it could sell well to consumers.
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/
post #29 of 52
x grid.

and the tablet.
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi
x grid.

and the tablet.

Why? In what environment would that make sense?
post #31 of 52
how about ipad???

anyway, i think that it should be about the size of the 12" ibook screen, and can be used in portrait or landscape(with the press of a small button or something). i dont think apple would cover it in buttons. Just look at their other products to see that, probably just a power button and one to change the orientation, and possibly an eject if the managed to fit an optical drive in there.

As for the link posted i think in the previous post(edit: 3 posts ago), i dont think apple would make that. There are two many buttons and recievers ir recievers and such round the edge. If anything they would limit these to down one side.

I would buy one for college, instead of an iBook, so that it is easier to take notes and such. However it would NEED:

USB 2
Firewire 400
aiport and bluetooth
headphone out
microphone

and i would like it to have:

Slot loading optical drive
firewire 800
and a couple more usb ports
line in

also video out would be nice (even cooler if it could be done over bluetooth)

ethernet is not such a problem, as yo could easily just stick an aiport base anywhere you were staying for a length of time.

I know we may not get one, but i would buy one.

stu
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
Why? In what environment would that make sense?

distributed ubiquitous computing.

The tablet in the home getting its content and most of its processing from another mac and the homes broadband internet connection. Verizon is getting set to roll our Fiber to the Home and the cable companies will not be too far behind.

Out in the wild the tablet would be connected via wifi or perhaps edge (with a bundled plan (note earthlink is now bundling cell phone service and apple owns 25% or so of earthlink granted earthlink is currently using verizon and sprint (cdma)))

Slip in a gps chip and you have a car mobile navigation device/ itunes player/ in car movie device. Movies you say? Look at itunes 4.8 with the video library built in.

Now, use dashboard widgets for the rest of the apps that you might want when mobile.

The xgrid could very well sit on apple's end via huge farms of xserves

just a theory..

for more tantalizing info on this look here:

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph...ck_the_market/
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by stustanley
anyway, i think that it should be about the size of the 12" ibook screen
I know we may not get one, but i would buy one.

I'd also buy one like you describe. One extra feature I'd like to see is a high-resolution screen. Of course, all Powerbooks should be high-res, but it is especially important for a tablet IMHO, since a tablet is held in the arm, while a laptop is, well, on the lap.

Experiment: fold you arm at across your chest and notice how much closer it is than you thigh. Even without resolution independence, a tablet can afford to have a smaller interface due to higher resolution, since it is held so much closer to the eye.

The bestselling Windows tablet is the Toshiba M200. It is one of the very few tablets with a 1400x1050 resolution. A major selling point! I wish Apple would give us a HD tablet ...
-- Candidas
(Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare)
-- Candidas
(Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare)
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
Please send it to me. I'll send you an M500 or something similar you can skip across the lake, and pretend it was the M515.

...So you'll probably want to keep the M515.

The damned thing will no longer sync with either my powerbook at home or with my employer's Dell Thing at work. To the deep with it!

Have any of you looked at the referenced patents? Some cool images there; perhaps clues to what may come.

Consider: The Windows Tablets have been out for, what, two-three years or so? Apple still got their tablet design patented! Therefore, I'm inclined to believe that there is some ass-kicking 'over and above' capability in Apple's design compared to the Windows stuff floating around (besides the basic and obvious Apple advantage and elegance vs. Windows' repugnant burdeness and klugification ).

Y'know, people actually have had the temerity to call me an Apple Bigot?

If Apple will release this, it's going to be great.

V/R,

Aries 1B
post #35 of 52
If an Apple Tablet is released, then I will actually be living the dream as written by a Great Man:

"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a few feet away."

In what I hope is the near future, I will be on the couch at home, after a hard-charging and productive day at work walking around the plant with my Apple Tablet. I see myself leaning comfortably against my 'Survivor' watching wife. As she is caught up in the latest iteration of Outlast, Outwit, Outplay, I will be surfing the web, planning vactions, paying bills, updating databases, effortlessly navigating spreadsheets, sketching ideas, sending emails, tying up loose ends from work, organizing my iTunes songs, avoiding Political Outsider, complying with the Apple Insider Posting Guidelines, reviewing notes from school, reading books and blogs and magazines, ichating with family and friends, editing home video, writing a movie script in Final Draft, remotely deleting Documents To Go from my G4 Powerbook, finally enjoying the full power and potential of Omni Outliner, sending faxes, polishing up my latest Toastmasters speech, toying with AppleScript, surveying local Real Estate listings online, monitoring my kids' email traffic and internet activity, and reviewing my stock portfolio and positions.

I also expect to find a new signature quote.

V/R,

Aries 1B
post #36 of 52
Tablet-Mac, I wouldn't want one unless I could flip it open to reveal a keyboard so it could double as a laptop.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
Tablet-Mac, I wouldn't want one unless I could flip it open to reveal a keyboard so it could double as a laptop.

It is sad to see the Tablet Faithful descending into Sectarian Strife.

The Cult of the Amazing Flapping Keyboard.
The Reformed Church of the Concealable Keyboard.

And The One True Faith of the Resurrection of The Newton (with remote, plug-in/wireless keyboard).

One day these armies will clash....

V/R,

Aries 1B
post #38 of 52
surely, apple could change the hinge on the ibooks and powerbooks to hinge more, so the screen could be folded the other way, and add a tactile layer to the screen and a cheap(ish) tablet is born.

Though personally i hope they do something more stylish.

stu
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Aries 1B
It is sad to see the Tablet Faithful descending into Sectarian Strife.

The Cult of the Amazing Flapping Keyboard.
The Reformed Church of the Concealable Keyboard.

And The One True Faith of the Resurrection of The Newton (with remote, plug-in/wireless keyboard).

One day these armies will clash....

V/R,

Aries 1B

There have much better designs since the Newton, and that keyboard on a string. The only reason for that keyboard was because people wanted it with one, and it was a little late to add one then. Hence the stupid keyboard, and the eMate.
The new tablet flip around designs are pretty good. The Clio Vadem was the first I recall incorporating a full screen tablet with the flip option keyboard. I thought it was an awesome design back then. There have been better ones since, and hopefully if Apple does make some kind of tablet they wont drop the ball, and aim it singularly, and close off huge portions of probable purchasers.
I wouldn't buy a screen with a pen, or even a separate wireless keyboard
that I had to lug around with it. It needs a keyboard, but not on a plug in, or wireless one. That's just adding more crap to carry.
onlooker

onlooker

post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
There have much better designs since the Newton, and that keyboard on a string. The only reason for that keyboard was because people wanted it with one, and it was a little late to add one then. Hence the stupid keyboard, and the eMate.
The new tablet flip around designs are pretty good. The Clio Vadem was the first I recall incorporating a full screen tablet with the flip option keyboard. I thought it was an awesome design back then. There have been better ones since, and hopefully if Apple does make some kind of tablet they wont drop the ball, and aim it singularly, and close off huge portions of probable purchasers.
I wouldn't buy a screen with a pen, or even a separate wireless keyboard
that I had to lug around with it. It needs a keyboard, but not on a plug in, or wireless one. That's just adding more crap to carry.

Keyboard blasphemer!

I hate 'chicklet' keypads. If we get a Matsu-ian 8 inch screen tablet, then I can't see the thing having a keyboard. If we get something with a 12+", screen, then making it some kind of convertible would be understandable (although the supporting patents that are included with The Patent Of Patents that I've seen don't seem to have provision for a keyboard. I can see a clip-on, add-on keyboard that would contain an extra battery or some additional functionality, perhaps as an aftermarket item.)

If a hypothetical Apple Tablet (Steve Jobs be praised) does show up and it has a chicklet keyboard, then I'm going to buy it anyway. To some, that makes me a heretic.

I'm enjoying this Tablet speculation stuff far, far too much. Come to think of it, if the Apple Tablet does show up... what am I going to eagerly anticipate?

Egad!

V/R,
Aries 1B
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's tabletmac patent acquired