or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's tabletmac patent acquired

Apple's tabletmac patent acquired - Page 2

post #41 of 52
two thoughts.

1st - the screen rotation in tiger (havent seen this myself so please correct me if i am wrong) - this allows the whole screen to be rotated by 90, 180 or 270 degrees. Maybe this is a feature included so a tablet mac could be used any way round.

2nd - with regard to a rumour just posted about a tablet being used as a remote simply displaying a copy of the desktop if a mac in another room, could this be what the tablet is (personally i hope not)

stu
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by stustanley
1st - the screen rotation in tiger (havent seen this myself so please correct me if i am wrong) - this allows the whole screen to be rotated by 90, 180 or 270 degrees. Maybe this is a feature included so a tablet mac could be used any way round.

Is our new old mac os ready for that? i don't want a new os, osx mobile or so. just the same os running on my desktop, but capable to run on any other device. and the possibility to turn it, although it was just a 90 degrees rotation

Quote:
2nd - with regard to a rumour just posted about a tablet being used as a remote simply displaying a copy of the desktop if a mac in another room, could this be what the tablet is (personally i hope not)

don't know, but... it would be interesting to add remote control to it, not just for the computer. also for the tv, the music trough airport express...
post #43 of 52
The patent illustration looks a lot like the data-PADD devices from Star Trek: TNG. Who is copying who here?

-- Candidas
(Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare)
-- Candidas
(Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare)
post #44 of 52
Star Trek TNG is not selling these devices. Once again (can you guys read?) this is a DESIGN PATENT, it only covers products that look almost exactly like the figure, and it prevents competitors from introducing products that look substantially the same.
post #45 of 52
Quote:
two thoughts.

stu

On picking the device up there could be the option for an automatic orientation of the screen - where the tablet would know its position by its angle off the horizontal. Tilting the device would re-orientate it until an interface action is initiated by the user so locking orientation until sleep or log out.

Passing the tablet to a friend or colleague (in a direct way without turning and therefore increasing possibility of drop (Like Japanese method of passing 'meishi' business card)) would somehow be triggered so shifting the interface 180 degrees.

I would anticipate other subtle user scenarios where the act of using a tablet is enhanced by the ability of the hardware/OS to assist in reducing effort in minor ways. Ideas welcome.

/userone
post #46 of 52
more wild speculation...I could see a tablet / remote like described:

1. iTunes like video store (mac + win)....free

2. a simple device like the Airport Express with airtunes that can stream H.264 with a little chip inside just for video...sold by itself... $199

3. an 8" tablet with built in Universal remote capabilities (infrared included) which can control your iTunes/video store application and launch the video (and music/photos) to your Airport Express/video version... possible small browser included + wifi - $169.

You could have full video capability with #2 and any mac/windows computer and later add the remote as an added treat as you desire.

I would buy that.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #47 of 52
More Tablet speculation without any basis in fact (perfect for AI FH):
MacNETv2 on the iMaginary Tablet.
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Aries 1B
More Tablet speculation without any basis in fact (perfect for AI FH):
MacNETv2 on the iMaginary Tablet.

Those specs pretty much nail what I want, although I think the optical drive is redundant if firewire is on board - this is not a sole Mac, you can install stuff via target disk mode.

I would happily replace my Powerbook with one of these and a G5, it would be a lovely setup.
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/

post #49 of 52
I just don't see a tablet as a computer.....specific device for multimedia, but not an OS X machine. QT7 as an OS now, that would be interesting. Where's kormac?
...we have assumed control
...we have assumed control
post #50 of 52
From a R&D point of view going with a full OS X rather than a cut down OS must be cheaper, and leaves you with a really flexible device. I doubt I'd buy something I couldn't program either.

post #51 of 52
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
engadget chip in

Can Sonoma (or Son-o-sonoma!) work with PPC? If not then we could be looking at XScale, making this thing a Newton reborn, but I'm not sure I see the point with Palms LifeDrive out there.

A stripped down OS X on x86 or XScale is not OS X and won't run current apps, so you get new hardware with no 3rd party software. DOA.

For this to work it needs to run any software the owner chooses, so that means full OS X or NewtonOS, and I can't see it being the latter.

PPC emulation on a low power tablet? Seems unlikely so it won't be x86 based either.

I don't really think these two rumours cross.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's tabletmac patent acquired