or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Is the US trying to insult Islam?

Is the US trying to insult Islam?

post #1 of 236
It is sad to see this:

"Although allegations of the Koran being desecrated appear to have been the trigger, some analysts say the protests are also a reflection of growing resentment towards the Americans in these areas of Afghanistan.

In Jalalabad on Wednesday hundreds rioted over the allegations - reported in the American magazine Newsweek - that prison staff at Guantanamo Bay prison flushed at least one copy of the Koran down a toilet.

"Correspondents say the protests are the largest against the US since the fall of the Taleban in 2001 and have now taken place in 10 of the country's 34 provinces as well as Kabul."

"The biggest of the Kabul protests was at the university where between 200 and 300 students shouted slogans against the US.

They chanted "Death to America!" and carried banners stating "Those who insult the Koran should be brought to justice."

One group of students climbed a building and set light to the US flag, to loud cheering from the crowd."

"America is our enemy and we don't want them in Afghanistan," political sciences undergraduate Ahmad Shah told the AP news agency. "When they insult our holy book they have insulted us."

"Another student told the AFP news agency that the US were "invaders" of Afghanistan who had done "nothing good for Islam."

BBC Link

My question is: Are we trying to insult Islam?

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #2 of 236
Uhhhhh ...

Yes?
meh
meh
post #3 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by Harald
Uhhhhh ...

Yes?

My next question is:

What is our mission exactly?

replace the word mission with goal if you wish.

Fellows

post #4 of 236
The name of the new campaign to defame that religion by the US is : iSlam

okay... I'll get my coat
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #5 of 236
Well, both Islam and Christianity are as corrupt and as far removed from the truth as one can get. The important word to distinguish here is Fundamentalism.

Fundamentalism, is when people become insular and hateful, they also develop a nasty superiority complex to deceive themselves from realising just how hateful and angry they really are.

It is a disease of the mind, - where in order to prove they are worth something, they have to convince and posture themselves that they are more rigid, uncomprimising and true to the literal word than they were previously.

Soon you have a spiral of deceit, that can only be bettered by telling an even bigger lie, until it gets to the point that they have to utterly believe their own lie in order to believe anything. And then they are lost.

Whats even sadder, is that Islam and Christianity are 'the same thing', yet as we go into the unknown future, the lie of fundamentalism is to create an even bigger chasm between the two, in order to fulfill the believe that only they can be right.

And someday, it is going to fuck everyone.
post #6 of 236
I'm going to assume that "the US" means "the Bush Administration" since they are currently leading the nation.

With that terminlogy in place, I don't think the US is trying to insult Islam. I think the US is simply too ignorant and arrogant to not insult Islam. Meaning: When you get a jingoistic xenophobe dealing with

Put a racist in a room full of black people, even on his best behavior, the racist is going to piss them off because a racist's best behavior is still racist. Now leave him in the room for a long time (prolonged "war" on "terror") and put some environmental stresses in there and all hell will break loose.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #7 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by Fellowship

allegations

I think I found the key word in that report. Not that it makes any difference now whether it happened or not. America's reputation in the Middle East is so damaged now, through actual intent or just plain ignorance, that nobody over there will care if the report turns out to be fabricated.

You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #8 of 236
I do not believe that the US is leading a war on Islam - I do believe that some religious fanatics (it is irrelevant that they happen to be right-wing) are engaged on a 'Crusade' to 'convert' Muslims (as well as many other people) and that these groups have made substantial inroads into the miltary and politics.

I'm going to back that up with some links and some chilling info when I get round to it but first it's worth addressing two points:

1) I recently had several experiences which I shall not divulge here but which have brought me to a deeper understanding of spiritual Christianity in all its forms. In fact I'm quite near to repenting from bashing (almost but not quite there yet ) and I have come to believe that some (not all) 'fundies' are sincere.

Many of these people may genuinely want to 'save' people they regard as lost and may even care about them. Sure, they are running a 'Crusade' and (imo) it is ill-=advised but that's not to say we need to assume they are operating from sinister motives.

2) Fundamentalism: I now have to recant and distance myself from this term 'fundie' (again) - in reference to MarcUKs point about fundamentlists above, I now believe this to be totally wrong: a fundamentalist would be one who believed in the fundamentals of the religion - and hence, as the fundamentals are good and correct, would be a 'good guy'.

I think 'literalist' is a far better term - people who take their scriptures literally are often not the most broad-minded and where a broad mind is needed (dealing with other cultures for example) this can lead to trouble.

Anyway, re the Qur'an - imo, it was just some bright-spark's genius idea for getting someone to talk. You have to see both sides of the coin - Wahabis and literalists flaunt their own weaknesses - who can blame someone in opposition for using them.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #9 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
2) Fundamentalism: I now have to recant and distance myself from this term 'fundie' (again) - in reference to MarcUKs point about fundamentlists above, I now believe this to be totally wrong: a fundamentalist would be one who believed in the fundamentals of the religion - and hence, as the fundamentals are good and correct, would be a 'good guy'.

Isn't it funny how this word has change? (if you think tragic is funny)

What once meant one thing... is now the opposite.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #10 of 236
Quote:

1) I recently had several experiences which I shall not divulge here but which have brought me to a deeper understanding of spiritual Christianity in all its forms. In fact I'm quite near to repenting from bashing (almost but not quite there yet ) and I have come to believe that some (not all) 'fundies' are sincere.

Very interesting segovius.

You did catch my interest with this post of yours.

Very much so in fact.

Fellowship

post #11 of 236
No evil USSR to scare people with...big problem. Bingo! Islam has neatly filled the gap, and probably more effectively because the muslim religion knows no national boundaries.

The people driving US foreign policy (the Neocons), with an unrepentant bias towards extremist Zionism, have effectively framed all muslims as terrorists or potential terrorists, for a large section of the US public. The neocons got a fortunate foundation with Palestine, the PLO and Yasser Arafat: the PLO (a terrorist organization), effectively made the word "Palestine" or anything "Palestinian" (or Arab for that matter) synonymous with terrorism and terrorists. It's not about 'insulting' muslims, it's about this administration framing, (or attempting to frame) them all as terrorists or potential ones, with the help of their publicity arm, the complicit (corporate) media.

The war on terror = the war on Islam. And without the "convenience" of 9-11 to "legitimize" it and bolster the neocon cause to such a massive extent, they would still be in the relative political doldrums, re. their sphere of influence.

Hugely oversimplified, but thats the general gist.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #12 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK
Fundamentalism, is when people become insular and hateful, they also develop a nasty superiority complex to deceive themselves from realising just how hateful and angry they really are.

I have huge respect for fundamentalists, no matter what kind, as opposed to the majority of people who will compromise on their beliefs and principles.

This is not to say I would always prefer the company of the fundamentalist to that of the moderate

As long as people are aware about the concept of separation between church and state, and care to implement it properly, I don't see why most religion would ever be a problem for others.

Being aware of the possibility of separation, yet not implementing it, is asking for trouble IMO.
post #13 of 236
My question is: Guantanamo Bay prison has toilets?
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #14 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
My question is: Guantanamo Bay prison has toilets?

It's not as primitive as some think.
Though I'm not certain about the prison facilities... \

Some quotes from the site:

Quote:
JTF Guantanamo conducts detention and interrogation operations to collect and exploit intelligence in support of the Global War on Terrorism, coordinates and implements Detainee screening operations,and supports law enforcement and war crimes investigations.

Quote:
JTF-GTMO Public Affairs Office The Joint Task Force (JTF), along with contracted linguists, have revamped and are now conducting a 28-week reading and writing course for Pashtu-speaking detainees in Camp Delta. When the course began in September 2003, only one linguist was teaching the course. But with more than 66 percent of the Afghani detainee population classified as functionally illiterate, a more formal ap- proach was taken by the JTF. Now, two full time linguists are teach- ing the course, and according to them, the detainees have become eager to participate in the program because they truly want to learn to read and write.The curriculum for this course is based on the California Education Program, said the officer in charge of the program.
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #15 of 236
Quote:

well I cant disagree, but at the end of the day, were both meaning the same mindset however we chose to label it.

It's a bit like the definition of Christian no?
post #16 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK
well I cant disagree, but at the end of the day, were both meaning the same mindset however we chose to label it.

It's a bit like the definition of Christian no?

A bit.

The thing is that (imo) God gave us reason and the ability (necessity) to use logic. The reason He did this (again imo) was becasue we need it - ie: things are not simple - there is no 'absolute proof' which will satisfy everyone, if there was and the truth of things was as obvious as knowing you are sitting on a chair for example, we wouldn't need reason would we ?

These literalists in all religions have forsaken reason and we need to get back to it. And I don't mean philosophical or logical wiseacring either - perhaps 'sincerity' is a better word. At the end of the day, one is either searching for the truth of any matter with an open mind (ie no preconceived bias) and if one does this sincerely then this is worth more than a philosophical procedure no ?

Of course, if one goes down this path then there is a high chance one might find something (as opposed to leaving the blinkers on) and naturally, many people might not like what they might find and decide it's not worth the risk - but that's a different story
post #17 of 236
Quote:
A bit.

The thing is that (imo) God gave us reason and the ability (necessity) to use logic.

yeah, but didn't we steal that in the garden?
post #18 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by Fellowship
It is sad to see this:

"Although allegations of the Koran being desecrated appear to have been the trigger, some analysts say the protests are also a reflection of growing resentment towards the Americans in these areas of Afghanistan.

In Jalalabad on Wednesday hundreds rioted over the allegations - reported in the American magazine Newsweek - that prison staff at Guantanamo Bay prison flushed at least one copy of the Koran down a toilet.

"Correspondents say the protests are the largest against the US since the fall of the Taleban in 2001 and have now taken place in 10 of the country's 34 provinces as well as Kabul."

"The biggest of the Kabul protests was at the university where between 200 and 300 students shouted slogans against the US.

They chanted "Death to America!" and carried banners stating "Those who insult the Koran should be brought to justice."

One group of students climbed a building and set light to the US flag, to loud cheering from the crowd."

"America is our enemy and we don't want them in Afghanistan," political sciences undergraduate Ahmad Shah told the AP news agency. "When they insult our holy book they have insulted us."

"Another student told the AFP news agency that the US were "invaders" of Afghanistan who had done "nothing good for Islam."

BBC Link

My question is: Are we trying to insult Islam?

Fellows

My questions are:

Are we going to equate all of islam with a bunch of college students rioting over mere allegations?

What dimwit puts even an iota of stock in this?

Are none of you insulted that snot-nosed college kids are declaring "death to america" over a book, that is readily available?

These punks are going to be the same people that will be killing the troops that you claim to support, and you're worried about insulting them?

I guess the Borg has decided...
post #19 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
My questions are:

Are we going to equate all of islam with a bunch of college students rioting over mere allegations?

What dimwit puts even an iota of stock in this?

Are none of you insulted that snot-nosed college kids are declaring "death to america" over a book, that is readily available?

These punks are going to be the same people that will be killing the troops that you claim to support, and you're worried about insulting them?

I guess the Borg has decided...

Never mind. Bygones.
post #20 of 236
Quote:

dimwit

snot-nosed college kids

These punks

I hope Nick gives you hell over your use of these terms so that Nick is universal in his application of wrath.

Fellows

post #21 of 236
So I am assuming from the total lack of response that, shouting "death to America" is an acceptable response to an alleged book flushing.

You guys will embrace any ally, so long as it hurts GWB.

Unbelievable.
post #22 of 236
Quote:
So I am assuming from the total lack of response that, shouting "death to America" is an acceptable response to an alleged book flushing.

You guys will embrace any ally, so long as it hurts GWB.

Unbelievable.

So there you have it, the Common Man has spoken: 'book flushing'.

Out of interest, would you regard, say, burning the flag, as 'cloth disposing' ? Is there nothing you would hold sacred and deem worthy of respect (I was going to add 'even if you don't agree with it' but stopped myself in time) ?

If so then I guess we can just move on. If not then we can discuss what that makes you which will be only slightly less tedious.....
post #23 of 236
Quote:
So there you have it, the Common Man has spoken: 'book flushing'.

Call it what you want. It makes no difference at this point. It is all about accusations and allegations.

Quote:
Out of interest, would you regard, say, burning the flag, as 'cloth disposing' ? Is there nothing you would hold sacred and deem worthy of respect (I was going to add 'even if you don't agree with it' but stopped myself in time) ?

You mean like they do at the anti-Bush Rallies and I am sure they did at this shindig in Afghanistan? How about the Bush effigies that get burnt, hung and stomped at many a liberal rally right here at home? Is that OK in your eyes?

But let's get beyond all that. You don't find it at all offensive that this group of radicals wish to kill over a rumor - a allegation? And not just one or two people, but "Death to America"? You seem to be justifying this call to arms, or maybe your just agreeing with it, I'm not sure. All over a book. It is the ideas that are "sacred" not the book itself. And these people calling for "death to america" obviously don't embrace the ideas of the "religion of peace".

Quote:
If so then I guess we can just move on. If not then we can discuss what that makes you which will be only slightly less tedious.....

Refer to above. Ideas not paper. Get a grip.
post #24 of 236
Quote:
mere allegations?

Unlike the definitive proof you've dumped on us showing that the clintons are serial killers.
Quote:
All over a book.

For real! After all, Christians would never get offended by someone desecrating a bible, particularly if they were muslim.
post #25 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
After all, Christians would never get offended by someone desecrating a bible....

Yes, but could we get National Endowment for the Arts Funding for it? ....maybe a stall of performance art next to the Mapplethorpe exhibit?

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #26 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz

Yes, but could we get National Endowment for the Arts Funding for it? ....maybe a stall of performance art next to the Mapplethorpe exhibit?

A true Christian shouldn't be offended by that at all.

Or are Christians idol worshippers?

Oh and Muslims shouldn't care about the physical Koran either.

When you are worshipping a physical object to the point where you'll kill to defend it, it's idol worship in my opinion. Same goes for the U.S. flag. :shrug:
post #27 of 236
^^^^^^^ Doesn't look much like a stauros to me
post #28 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
Unlike the definitive proof you've dumped on us showing that the clintons are serial killers.

For real! After all, Christians would never get offended by someone desecrating a bible, particularly if they were muslim.

So speaks the mouthpeice for the Borg.

The collective loves to perpetrate mistruths. The collective will keep you warm. Obey the collective...
post #29 of 236
Quote:
So speaks the mouthpeice for the Borg.

The collective loves to perpetrate mistruths. The collective will keep you warm. Obey the collective...

No thanks, you know how I feel about wingers and Islamophobes....

Seriously though, I'd like to ask you something: have you ever whilst posting here learnt something that was opposed to what you previously believed or understood and taken it on board ?

If so, how has it changed your outlook ?

What was it ?

It's a serious question and I'm quite happy to reciprocate if necessary. We need to up the quality here while we still have the chance if f you catch my drift.
post #30 of 236
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #31 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Oops.

If that's really the case, it would seem that Newsweek is vying with Ridley Scott/Fox for title of "most culturally irresponsible media outlet".

post #32 of 236
As long as the rioters only end up dying themselves, then the world is better off with them dead.

Anyone who decides to kill over the desecration of a book is a neanderthal-like dimwit, like the retarded bully in elementary school.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #33 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
If that's really the case, it would seem that Newsweek is vying with Ridley Scott/Fox for title of "most culturally irresponsible media outlet".

Indeed.
post #34 of 236
Seems like somebody gave up and pulled the story under pressure.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #35 of 236
http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/nm/200...an_newsweek_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Newsweek magazine said on Sunday it erred in a May 9 report that U.S. interrogators desecrated the Koran at Guantanamo Bay, and apologized to the victims of deadly Muslim protests sparked by the article.

Editor Mark Whitaker said the magazine inaccurately reported that U.S. military investigators had confirmed that personnel at the detention facility in Cuba had flushed the Muslim holy book down the toilet."

Please read this carefully Fellowship, sammi jo, segovius, Wrong Robot, groverat, and the rest of the AO collective.

The earlier NYT said "Newsweek magazine said today that it might have erred" leaving the possibility open to the easily influenced, that the story was actually not a lie.

EDIT: Could your standard copy of the Koran actually flush down your standard issue army toilet?
post #36 of 236
Quote:
Please read this carefully Fellowship, sammi jo, segovius, Wrong Robot, groverat, and the rest of the AO collective.

And why am I not in this list? Care to answer that question? Hrmmm?

Quote:
The earlier NYT said "Newsweek magazine said today that it might have erred" leaving the possibility open to the easily influenced, that the story was actually not a lie.

BREAKING NEWS: Time passes.

Quote:
Could your standard copy of the Koran actually flush down your standard issue army toilet?

Picture this: I have a book I want to flush down the toilet. I tear out the pages.
post #37 of 236
Quote:
And why am I not in this list? Care to answer that question? Hrmmm?

BREAKING NEWS: Time passes.

Picture this: I have a book I want to flush down the toilet. I tear out the pages.

Feel free to add youself to the list. No offense intended by leaving you off it.

Perhaps you are right about the individual pages thing, but the story is now an admitted falsehood.
post #38 of 236
Quote:

yes, but is it art?

post #39 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
yes, but is it art?

It depends. When I used Atlas Shrugged for toilet paper (literally), I didn't really think of it as an artistic endeavor.
post #40 of 236
Quote:
It's a serious question and I'm quite happy to reciprocate if necessary. We need to up the quality here while we still have the chance if f you catch my drift.

I do get your drift and couldn't agree more if we were the very same person. If you will recall, I have repeatedly called for civility and honest debate.

Quote:
Seriously though, I'd like to ask you something: have you ever whilst posting here learnt something that was opposed to what you previously believed or understood and taken it on board ?

If you're asking, have I ever been wrong? Sure, and I admit such, publicly.

If you're asking me if I have ever questioned my stances on issues, once again, sure. I would hope we all do that on a regular basis. But don't expect me to adopt your stances. And you see there is where debate can be powerful or totally futile, depending on your approach to it.

When Giant posts insults to people because they don't agree with him, he immediately, instantaneously removes any possibility that any tinge of agreement can be reached. Not picking on him, just putting out an example.

If you are a politician you rely on agreement. A good one will find some point of agreement no matter how small, to get your support. This place is no different, really. Or should I say, it shouldn't be. No one can be right all the time, so that shouldn't be the motivation here. A much healthier one should be truth and fairness.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Is the US trying to insult Islam?