or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › The "WWDC Speculation" Thread

The "WWDC Speculation" Thread

post #1 of 295
ok the new final cut studio is out, recently new ipods, new powermacs....what do you think will come out of WWDC?
post #2 of 295
Tiger info.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #3 of 295
eeh...not to excited...im talking hardware though.
post #4 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRbetterthanPC
eeh...not to excited...im talking hardware though.

What new hardware would warrant an announcement at a developers conference? The G5 was announced there but that's like one hardware announcement out of many WWDCs over the year.

WWDC is not for new hardware unless it somehow dovetails into new development methods. Thus if we want new hardware at WWDC we're going to have to point towards some new device like a STB box that runs iTunes music and other media types.

So that'll be my prediction. Hardware iLife. Listen to music, view photos and view videos.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #5 of 295
Since Jobs is keynoting the conference, I guess the question comes to mind, when was the last time Jobs keynoted something without announcing hardware?

Not too many.

Also, since it is a month away, hardware announcements can easily be iMac G5 rev, iBook rev, eMac rev, Mac mini rev, iPod rev, or something different. Asteroid or Jam Box could finally be announced?
post #6 of 295
I don't think Apple will anounce anything at WWDC that is of direct interest to the developer.

If I paid $1395 I don't want to hear BS about how cool and audio device is or about how those new iBooks have 1.42Ghz G4 processors.

I need to see something that I can begin to plan around. Support or develop for basically. Apple can announce new hardware on any tuesday they feel like after the product is ready.

I don't understand the fixation with WWDC and new hardware. If history is the best predictor of future events then we are less likely to see new Macintosh hardware.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #7 of 295
Powerbook G5
New display 40" +
maybe some sort of DVR.

Wishful thinking? maybe. but what else will Steve introduce?
He's not going there just to talk about Tiger. Tiger is old news now and historically he always introduce something at WWDC in the past few years.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #8 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison

So that'll be my prediction. Hardware iLife. Listen to music, view photos and view videos.

I like it:

in Hidef

perhaps also a large monitor with such a device built in.

Total hardware convergence.

or ITmovie Store
post #9 of 295
Quote:
I don't think Apple will anounce anything at WWDC that is of direct interest to the developer.

If I paid $1395 I don't want to hear BS about how cool and audio device is or about how those new iBooks have 1.42Ghz G4 processors.

I need to see something that I can begin to plan around. Support or develop for basically. Apple can announce new hardware on any tuesday they feel like after the product is ready.

I don't understand the fixation with WWDC and new hardware. If history is the best predictor of future events then we are less likely to see new Macintosh hardware.

I dont know where you have been but since Jobs has been keynoting WWDC there have always been new hardware annoucnments.
post #10 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by jsnuff1
I dont know where you have been but since Jobs has been keynoting WWDC there have always been new hardware annoucnments.

Not always but they did announce the 30" at WWDC according to Apple.com/pr.

It certainly isn't habit but I'd be willing to change my views if WWDC 2005 comes with new hardware
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #11 of 295
Some device that allows _all_ current Macs to automagically decode HD video, fitting as it is "The Year of HD". Or a setup box dealie like hmurchison meantioned, also good.

Otherwise no bumps please. Totally new hardware (doesn't mean PowerBook G5 either) or none, just talk about software and whatnot. Developers tend to really enjoy that software stuff.
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
post #12 of 295
One item sure to be announced: sales figures for Tiger.

Nothing gets commercial developers' juices flowing faster than hearing how big their target market is... which is one *large* reason why Tiger was released a few weeks before WWDC - they want the sales figures to pimp to the crowd. Releasing it *at* WWDC wouldn't have allowed that. Also, this let everyone get more of a chance to play with it and get ready for WWDC, as well as get customer feedback to come prepped with questions.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #13 of 295
Quote:

I don't think it has anything to do with it being relevant to a developer or not for hardware to be announced at WWDC anymore IMO.

Again IMO I think they (or SJ) likes to announce hardware there just to add to the value of the show, being that it is the one show it actually costs a good deal of money to go to, that has a lot of people that in some ways are very important to Apple attending.

Again that is just My 2¢ on it.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #14 of 295
Quote:

That true, but ever since Apple dropped out of Macworld, they have been using WWDC to launch hardware.
post #15 of 295
I'm going to be wildly optimistic and say dual core XServes.
post #16 of 295
Interesting side note...

Apple's registrations are down from recent years...

Proof?

#1. They extended "early bird" registration by another month.

#2. They called me asking me to register for WWDC. I would have gone this year again, but the dates happened to land on Finals Week.

This leads me to believe most of the devs out there do not see any need to go to this event. I blame this on a few things (lack of rumors and roadmaps especially), lack of hardware, lack of new developer software etc.

What would excite a developer to go this year after being at last years event? They pretty much went over EVERYTHING new to tiger last year. Core Data, Core Image/Video, spotlight, automator, ObjectiveC++ (not new but new methods and additions to the library), XCode 2.0, Widgets, etc etc etc. In addition to all these sessions, all the devs were sent a DVD library with every session on DVD.

What's new to go for? IMO... NOTHING. Why go? No person is going to pay 1,500 to go see Jobs' keynote on what might be new announcements.

Personally I think what would be really cool is to open up the iPod and make an SDK for it. Devs would jump all over that one. (probably can't because it would expose how to hack it).

Anyways, point being is I think WWDC will be a huge disappointment for anybody that things "great new things" will come from this years event.

Hmurch is right once again, Tiger reiteration.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #17 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
That true, but ever since Apple dropped out of Macworld, they have been using WWDC to launch hardware.

That hasn't stopped them from updating hardware and software... MW and WWDC consist of 2 days a year, they have 363 other days to fill with announcements. Apple has been announcing on non-keynote days for years. Always will and have to.

If it wasn't for new displays last year, hardware announcements would have been a noshow (besides the 6800ultra). If I was a developer and paid to go to WWDC, watched SJ do his shindig... and at the last part announced new iPods or update iBooks... I would be insulted. I would feel like I just paid him with my hard earned money for him to announce new things that have NOTHING to do with me as a developer. I would be there to learn new things... not be dragged through a 90mhz update on an ibook.

Quote:

Quote:

post #18 of 295
Quote:

I need to see something that I can begin to plan around. Support or develop for basically.

Right. Let me see. How about a CELL based HD Powerbook ? We are aware of the "leaked" specifications in the 17" model user manual, are not we? And explaining to developers how they should write their code to exploit the one or two SPEs for video/audio co-processing?
post #19 of 295
I would say it is very much up in the air what hardware Apple has planned, if any, for the WWDC. I can't imagine there won't be any hardware announcements there. I will plant the seed and say that if the iBooks are NOT updated by the end of May, perhaps we are going to be presented with a revolutionary new notebook lineup both iBooks and PowerBooks. It occurs to me that portable sales are the most important of any Apple product right now because this is where the growth is in the industry and if Apple's iPod "Halo Effect" is to truly work, they need to have a strong portables line up to capture them.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #20 of 295
re: hardware being relevant to developers, it depends on what's in the oven. if just a speed-bump to existing architectures, then i agree the developer utility is low.

but if it were some major shift in architecture, say 970MP, then it would be ideal to announce at WWDC, with special seminars on programming techniques and new compiler tools (eg: gcc4) that leverage the MP optimally.

time will tell, as it always does.
apple gets "it."
apple gets "it."
post #21 of 295
There will be new powerbooks at WWDC, now if only they would be FAST... ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by gugy
Powerbook G5
New display 40" +
maybe some sort of DVR.

Wishful thinking? maybe. but what else will Steve introduce?
He's not going there just to talk about Tiger. Tiger is old news now and historically he always introduce something at WWDC in the past few years.
post #22 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by webmail
There will be new powerbooks at WWDC, now if only they would be FAST... ;-)

How can you be confident of such a statement? The Powerbooks were updated at the end of January. I wouldn't mine seeing a new lineup, but it seems hard to imagine.
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
post #23 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
I would say it is very much up in the air what hardware Apple has planned, if any, for the WWDC. I can't imagine there won't be any hardware announcements there. I will plant the seed and say that if the iBooks are NOT updated by the end of May, perhaps we are going to be presented with a revolutionary new notebook lineup both iBooks and PowerBooks. It occurs to me that portable sales are the most important of any Apple product right now because this is where the growth is in the industry and if Apple's iPod "Halo Effect" is to truly work, they need to have a strong portables line up to capture them.

Excellent point. I think the entire line could see a shakeup. I think Apple (and IBM partly, as well) has failed in getting the 970fx and bus/chipset heat reduced to a rate that can survive in a laptop without a serious hit on battery life. I have always been one to stick to the f**k Motorola/Freescale view, but that may be the last great hope, unless IBM can deliver a better chip and accompanying chipset truely aimed at a portable.

Jeez, the mini and eMac are the only desktops left with the G4 and it is topped out. Why do you think they finally put a 1.42GHz cpu in the eMac and started off with a 1.25GHz cpu in the Mini? I think Apple forsees that they need to prolong the G4 in a desktop, so as not to have their typically strongest sellers (laptops) dwindling with the worst processor in the hardware lineup. Remember the, 2004 is (well, was) the year of the laptop line from one of Jobs' keynotes? Uh-huh. Only educational district contracts of iBook sales are saving their hide, and with Tiger, it seems the specs are lotsa memory, better GPUs and processors. Tiger will push the G4 (and its weak bus) to the limit. True, you can turn off things like Quartz 2D Extreme, but who wants to. You get Tiger and iLife with new iBooks, etc, but some of the amazing things are limited with limited memory, a weak GPU and a weak processor/bus.

The G4 is kind of like the punching bag for their hardware lineup. "No the G4 is still a viable, strong processor. We use it in the Mini, the eMac and our portable lineup. We like to have options." Sure, only until IBM can deliver a processor that can be wedged into a portable in practice, not just in theory as they have said of the G5.
...we have assumed control
post #24 of 295
Been trying to think what Steve might talk about.

He may give a few initial numbers on Tiger sales but we certainly will not be seeing a OS demo.

New PM's, iMacs, and eMacs have been released. So obviously, their will be no dual core news.

A PB G5 is a REMOTE posibility but I think that is still a good 6 months off.

No iBook either.

Music and video apps were shown at NAB. Nothing shown in regards to this.

Could be something new. Its time for something that is not an iPod. YEah, iPod sales are good but they will not continue forever. I give about 18 more months for the iPod fad to continue. Apple needs something new.

I want to see an answer to MS's Media center. I think the pieces are about in place for it to happen now.

Come on Apple. "WOW" me.
post #25 of 295
40" cinema display with media pod....

would be nice.

or just the media pod and itmovie store
post #26 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi

Why Apple would release a 40" monitor when the 30" one remains still practically without competition?
post #27 of 295
probably tiger talk (yay) and new ipods (again).
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
post #28 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi

would be nice.

or just the media pod and itmovie store

Not to harp, but I have seen a bunch of people referring to an ITMovie store. Why on Earth would it be iTunes Movie Store - iTunes is the app. iMovie is an app. How about calling it iMovie Store (IMS, for short). Is it just me?
post #29 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
Not to harp, but I have seen a bunch of people referring to an ITMovie store. Why on Earth would it be iTunes Movie Store - iTunes is the app. iMovie is an app. How about calling it iMovie Store (IMS, for short). Is it just me?

I don't care what it is called just deliver it.

call it iSteve or iJobs

and frankly I think the i in everything started out with Ives

aka Ive's Mac = iMac or Ive's Pod = ipod
post #30 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod

Because iMovie is a Mac-only film editing app, while iTunes is the cross-platform content delivery system with the massive mindshare and brand recognition.
post #31 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Because iMovie is a Mac-only film editing app, while iTunes is the cross-platform content delivery system with the massive mindshare and brand recognition.

Spose....how about Apple Media Store (AMS) ? Nothing Tunes/Movie/specific about that.
post #32 of 295
Anyone else notice there is no Keynote?
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #33 of 295
Jobs just confirmed within the last 48 hrs that he will be giving one.

Unless that changed...
post #34 of 295
EDIT: Ah, thanks for the link.
post #35 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
Not doubting you.. but can you give me a source for this? I can't seem to find any info about such.

link
post #36 of 295
Here's an idea, Jobs will announce his retirement, Ive's to take over.
iMac G4 800
iMac G4 800
post #37 of 295
Also been thinking about what the keynote might be about too. If the TBA sessions, there are quite a few, stay TBA until after the keynote, then I think there will be something developer-related announced.

Some possible software things that could be "announced". GUI resolution independence was talked at WWDC04, but was very low key. This time around it could be highly visible in Jobs' keynote. Same thing with Core Data. Some new Apple applications could also be announced like a spreadsheet to flesh out iWork or audio/video/graphics apps to display the power of Tiger.

Hardware-wise, the iBook will be 7 months old in June. If they are not updated before WWDC, it could be announced at WWDC. There is virtually zero room between the Powerbook and iBook, but there could be a paltry update up to 1.42 GHz G4. There is also room for 1 or 2 Powerbook G5 configurations above $2699. The Xserve RAID could be updated as well. Lastly, some iPod thing.

So the keynote could go like, not necessarily in this order:

1. State of Apple
1a. Finances
1b. Tiger sales
1c. Macintosh updates
1d. iTMS, iPod photo/mini/shuffle dominance
2. Tiger demos
3. Post-Tiger Mac OS Ten developments
3a. Resolution independence
3b. Metadata, UI changes to take advantage
3c. who knows
4. iBook update
5. Something iPod
6. One more thing

[edit: grammar idiocy]
post #38 of 295
Do you think he'll talk about the number of problems people are having with the tiger update vs. older updates? Tiger is one buggy install for more people than any other Mac OS release I have ever seen. It appears that even MacWorld is documenting it.
onlooker

onlooker

post #39 of 295
A lot of the problems I'm seeing are people who are "upgrading" their previous OS.

Me myself I would rather install Tiger cleanly and then reconfigure my computers settings. It's the "cleanest" way to do things but it means your installations take a lot longer.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #40 of 295
Aren't xServes ready for a bump? And wouldn't WWDC be a good place to do it?

HSE,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › The "WWDC Speculation" Thread