or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › The "WWDC Speculation" Thread

The "WWDC Speculation" Thread - Page 7

post #241 of 295
With only a few days to go, tis very quiet.......

That could go either way - good or bad!
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #242 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755

I don't know if no new hardware is bad, but this is what I am expecting actually.
post #243 of 295
12 inches of 'Book. YEAH
(updated iBooks)

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

<ctrl-c>

sunilraman>_

gawd... its gonna be a LONG weekend before Stevie J puts us out of misery. NEW HARDWARE MOTHAFUCKA111!!!!1111111!!!111!!!111!!!111!!! <ctrl-c>

sunilraman>_

okay cool *sigh*
post #244 of 295
"All Mac Minis and iBooks will now ship with 512MB of RAM and Tiger!"

(hushed whispers in audience)

"And one more thing..." (looks around) "Oh, sorry, there is no more. Have a good WWDC!" (waits a moment)

(desultory applause slowly breaks out as people get up)
post #245 of 295
Perhaps it is best to expect nothing and then be pleasantly surprised.
But I'm telling ya, everything points to a certain new product.

And now, in just a couple days (actually, not even that if you discount non-business days), before a big announcement, Apple has settled on a long standing court case (iPod battery issue). This is a typical big business practice used to detract from any negative perception and publicity of the court case. Follow it up with something really good to take our minds off the bad.
post #246 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
"All Mac Minis and iBooks will now ship with 512MB of RAM and Tiger!"

(hushed whispers in audience)

"And one more thing..." (looks around) "Oh, sorry, there is no more. Have a good WWDC!" (waits a moment)

Fo such theatrical descriptions alone it is worth to be around here a few days before some Apple event .
post #247 of 295
Quote:

BUT then BOOMMM the lights go out ..........

booemboemboem pounding drums ...

one spotlight ...... and then ......
wow it is amazing how we as humans use our time to do completely useless stuff. i love humans
wow it is amazing how we as humans use our time to do completely useless stuff. i love humans
post #248 of 295
...nothing
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #249 of 295
post #250 of 295
ROFLMAO
ah, the insanity has begun
post #251 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by vormkrijger
BUT then BOOMMM the lights go out ..........

booemboemboem pounding drums ...

one spotlight ...... and then ......

(they can play off the whole "spotlight" in tiger with the one Spotlight)...but that would be cool, then the stage opens and a new (______) comes up out of the stage with a smoke machine going all around it too!
post #252 of 295
the public become crazily - some are vomiting of the tension

the smoke is drifting away and ....
post #253 of 295
a thousand sick bags are revealed; black with a white Apple logo. The thing that makes them so special though is...
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #254 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
12 inches of 'Book. YEAH
(updated iBooks)

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

updated 12" iBook. YEAH

<ctrl-c>

sunilraman>_

gawd... its gonna be a LONG weekend before Stevie J puts us out of misery. NEW HARDWARE MOTHAFUCKA111!!!!1111111!!!111!!!111!!!111!!! <ctrl-c>

sunilraman>_

okay cool *sigh*

hahahaha..... nice one... it's EXACTLY what i'm feeling right now. Thx for reading my mind
post #255 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by danielctull
a thousand sick bags are revealed; black with a white Apple logo. The thing that makes them so special though is...

there is a iPod shuffle 2 GB in each of them. Steve is smiling, pushing a button on his remote thingy, a nauseating gas is released in the room and everybody, EVERYBODY is throwing up in the bag before they are able to get the player out.

"Now the REALLY special thing is that on one, and only one, of those iPods there is a version of "Lucy in the sky with diamonds", performed by me with the help of Garageband. The one who has the right iPod has won a trip with me in my G5. But you have to find out NOW.

2000 people grab down into the bag filled with half the dinner from the day before and all what they had for breakfast, putting on the slimy headphones and trying to find out if they have the right bag. And to everybody's amazement its on all the iPods.

"Ohh that wasn´t smart [hits Schiller in the face with a 17 inch Powerbook]. He fucked up again. Now you have to fight your way up to the stage and the first who touch me have won the trip"

A huge fight arise. Everybody against everybody. Vomit is flying everywhere as people try to make it on stage. Jobs is quietly leaving stage while receiving a huge check from a japanese reality show producer. "Fuck `em" are the last words heard from him before leaving the building"

Next day on AI forums: "Wasn´t it a new Powerbook Jobs used against Schiller? It looked a bit darker than aluminum"
post #256 of 295

Awesome Anders. Keep it going guys. We have no rumors, so let's have some nice laugh.
post #257 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by PB

Awesome Anders. Keep it going guys. We have no rumors, so let's have some nice laugh.

^
^
LOL totally agree LOL KEEP UP THE GOOD CREATIVITY PEOPLE
post #258 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
With only a few days to go, tis very quiet.......

What's going on? Where are the Photoshop'd pictures from Spymac? Mockups of slimmed down Newtons running OS X lite? 8 processor Power Macs nicknamed "Doc Ock"? Apple cellphone mockups? Anything? Anybody?
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #259 of 295
*iCrickets*
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #260 of 295
This has to be the weaskest pre-week before a big event I have ever seen...

I guess its time for me to migrate over to current hardware and OS X discussion boards.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #261 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
*iCrickets*

iSpeculate the noise is inversely proportional to the announcements.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #262 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
This has to be the weaskest pre-week before a big event I have ever seen...

I guess its time for me to migrate over to current hardware and OS X discussion boards.

Cheer up!

My feeling is that we are going to be blown away by the announcements next week. Is a good thing that's very quiet out there. Apple probably increase the pressure or/and fired the informants. That's why we have not heard anything lately. We have to be positive. if not, then we are f...ked
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
post #263 of 295
So let me get this straight...

Either things are going to be good, or they are going to be bad.

Well, thanks for clearing that up for us.
post #264 of 295
Since it's the year of HD, I'm waiting for the first HD capable apple laptop. I think it would be a decent offering since I doubt there will be a G5 powerbook. Besides, they already let the cat out of the bag about a future 17 inch laptop with higher resolution when the apple help documentation mentioned the 1920x1200 resolution. They should step up to the plate with the whole resolution independence issue they introduced last year: Higher resolution, and all widescreen.

I hope they also put out a widescreen 12/13 inch powerbook. They need another way to distinguish the consumer from the pro-laptops. Some of the compact laptops from sony and compaq already have better screens and better packaging than apple's current small models. A tiny widescreen powerhouse would get a lot of attention I think.

One more thing... Maybe we'll get rid of the damn one button mouse: cross the clickable scroll-wheel with a smooth apple mouse and voila! Gentlemen, I give you.... the scrolling wheelmouse.

post #265 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by Jacko
One more thing... Maybe we'll get rid of the damn one button mouse: cross the clickable scroll-wheel with a smooth apple mouse and voila! Gentlemen, I give you.... the scrolling wheelmouse.

Otherwise known as an ergonomic nightmare.
What the problem is?
What the problem is?
post #266 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
So let me get this straight...

Either things are going to be good, or they are going to be bad.

Well, thanks for clearing that up for us.

Let's put this way: It's going to be good!
Apple has not another alternative. Their laptop line up is not that great. Their latest Powermac update = minor. So the only good things happening in their front now are ipods, Imac and Macmini.
That's why I am optmistic about Monday.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #267 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
... Computers need to become smaller. G5s are just too big. Something like the Cube is ideal with beefed up networking and access to beefy storage containers on the network.

Back OT...i'm sure there will be some surprises at WWDC that we aren't privy too. ...

In the old days (1980's 'til now) we had desktops. Then we had notebooks for portability, at the sacrifice of power.

Let's take that a step further. Could notebooks be further downsized for most home users? And would that be especially attractive if home users had a super-duper server at home?

Everyone talks about a "media server", but that's only half the equation. You don't carry a media server around with you. No, you carry a media player around with you. Up 'til now, that's been an iPod. But that's pretty limited.

Why not a media player that's more like the Sony PSP or the recently-announced-but-not-yet-available Nokia Linux device thingy? Larger than an iPod, smaller and thinner than an iBook. The rumored "tablet". Unlike a Windows tablet, it would be much smaller and lighter.

The Media Player wouldn't need a media drive (CD/DVD) because your Media Server would have that. The Media Server handles ripping and burning and has gigs of disk space. Your Media Player has a small hard drive, and syncs up with your home directory on the Media Server. So the Media Server is the base station and the Media Player is the portability aspect. (Think of those cordless phones with the big base station and a bunch of optional phones that can connect to it. Each family has a single media server, and mom, dad, and each kid has his or her own media player.)

The Media player is a content consumer (web surfing, iTunes, iPhoto, videos, PDFs, light word processing) whereas the Media Server is a content creator (iMovie, iDVD, databases, etc.).

Do desktops and notebooks make sense for home users anymore? Or is it a media server/media player world now?
post #268 of 295
The Media Server is not only a content creator, it's also the DRM master. You download songs and videos from the iLife Store with, say, a 3-user license. Then mom and Janey can download the yoga video you just purchased onto their media players and "check out" 2 licenses from the media server. Meanwhile Dad and Junior download the latest smash-em-up movie onto their media players and check out 2 licenses for it.

Now, everyone has their own temporary copy and it's fully legitimate. If Dad and Junior both want the yoga video, only 1 license is left, so they'll have to duke it out to get that last license. Or when Mom's done watching it 500 times, she can delete her copy and "check in" her license so Dad can use her license.

So the media server is the master hub for data ripping, burning, downloading, and DRM.

My wife used to joke about "the server in the basement", but it may actually be under the TV.
post #269 of 295
Did any of you hear about a this new monitor with a new stand???
post #270 of 295
[Cartman]LAME[/Cartman]
post #271 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by bikertwin
The Media Server is not only a content creator, it's also the DRM master. You download songs and videos from the iLife Store with, say, a 3-user license. Then mom and Janey can download the yoga video you just purchased onto their media players and "check out" 2 licenses from the media server. Meanwhile Dad and Junior download the latest smash-em-up movie onto their media players and check out 2 licenses for it.

Now, everyone has their own temporary copy and it's fully legitimate. If Dad and Junior both want the yoga video, only 1 license is left, so they'll have to duke it out to get that last license. Or when Mom's done watching it 500 times, she can delete her copy and "check in" her license so Dad can use her license.

So the media server is the master hub for data ripping, burning, downloading, and DRM.

My wife used to joke about "the server in the basement", but it may actually be under the TV.

Welcome bikertwin, and thank you. A novel, intelligent, well thought out and properly spelled AI post? You MUST be new!

Your license check out scheme is pure brilliance and very Apple. I await your further contributions to the forum.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #272 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by bikertwin

Hmm nice.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
Your license check out scheme is pure brilliance and very Apple.

Actually it's very Sony. They had this idea for music some 5+ years ago. You ripped you music in DRMed ATRAC3 and you would use their software to "check out" tracks. You could check each out 3/5 times (can't fully remember), and had to book them back in.

Unfortunately they didn't succeed. Funny really, when talking on the subject of Apple's success to friends, I nearly always mention how close Sony were to doing it:
  • superior ATRAC3 music format (compared to MP3)
  • decent looking players (well I thought)
  • decent navigation (on the player I have it was exactly the same as the ipod acts, only with fewer songs. hell they even had the jog dial wheel on the side to scroll with, like Apples wheel, but physical and not as funky)
IMO, their only failing was the complete lack of MP3 support up until a year ago. If they built MP3 support into them, they would have done it... They must be kicking themselves.

I would suggest Apple have noted Sony's failure and examined this checking in/out feature, I seriously doubt it's gunna happen though.

PS. Anders, that post about the iPods in the sick bags was hilarious
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #273 of 295
look mateys, something is definitely up. it would be too much of a let down and too much of a waste of a good event to not have something impressive.... it's coming, we just got to weather the quiet long weekend

now wheres that sick bag...

ps
i'd like to see phil give steve jobs a 'piggy back' around the stage as steve says "i've been trying to help phil with his weight loss goals"
post #274 of 295
Quote:
Welcome bikertwin, and thank you. A novel, intelligent, well thought out and properly spelled AI post? You MUST be new!

Your license check out scheme is pure brilliance and very Apple. I await your further contributions to the forum.

Ha ha, you make me laugh, Ensign Pulver! Glad I can contribute.

What I posted is definitely not insider information, since I don't live anywhere near California and don't deal with Apple distributors, marketers, etc. It's more what I'm hoping for, rather than what I'm expecting. The media server/media player integration just sorta occurred to me after digesting a bunch of sources:

* AI and various other rumor sites (although there hasn't been much lately!)

* A number of interesting posts here

* Rumors of an Apple personal organizer that was cancelled by His Steveness at the last minute

* Hints of a user/home directory syncing ability in Tiger

* General syncing improvements in Tiger

* Pen interface in Panther/Tiger

* "The year of HD" comment at MWSF

* Rumors on some guy's blog last week about a widescreen PDA/tablet

* The general promotion and failure of Windows Tablet and Windows Media devices (Steve often learns from others' mistakes)

* My wife and I seeing a Windows tablet device at a coffee shop a few weeks ago, and thinking with some Apple-ization that it might be kinda cool

* My own needs. I just sold my Lapzilla because it was too big and yet not powerful enough for making a lot of iPhoto DVDs. I want power and portability, so the perfect compromise would be a media server and a media player (in the meantime I bought a discontinued dual G5 2.0). I also have an almost-dead Sony Clié, and I realized I needed a portable device that also had input (i.e., my iPod mini's read-only interface for notes and contacts can't replace my Clié). I also want something that syncs with Address Book better, including syncing address book *groups*.

* PalmOne's overpriced Tungsten E2 (they raised the price 50 bucks and added Bluetooth after 18 months of development? I'm not impressed)

* Nokia's nifty new widescreen Linux thingy ( http://www.nokiausa.com/770 ) (only $100 more than the Tungsten E2 and way cooler and more useful)

* MacsimumWhatever.com's "Neo" columnist (although he's far too long-winded; I've never gotten more than half way through any of his/her articles!)

* Cringely's take on the iTunes store selling movies

* Dealing with Rational ClearCase at work, where you check things in and out; and realizing where Hollywood will want to take DRM in the coming years (not that I agree, mind you, but knowing what's probably going to be shoved down our throats...)

It all kinda fits together. Sorta.
post #275 of 295
New hardware in only 2 words.
ipod video.
post #276 of 295
ALL YOUR HIGH DEFINITION ARE BELONG TO HOLLYWOOD
post #277 of 295
Quote:
......A novel, intelligent, well thought out and properly spelled AI post? You MUST be new!.....

ROFLMAO....

bikertwin, i actually just read your idea, i say it is da bomb yo...!!

remember the NetworkComputer? (oracle IIRC)

thin (clients) is IN again !!
post #278 of 295
Quote:
Welcome bikertwin, and thank you. A novel, intelligent, well thought out and properly spelled AI post? You MUST be new!.....

look, if you want to get to Senior Member status and have 1500++ posts like some of us, you cant always be posting novel, intelligent, well thought out and properhly sppelled posts rite??
post #279 of 295
here is my list

- Webobjects upgrade
- xsan 1.1
- ARD 3.0?
- Quad-processor xserve
- bigger harddrives in xserve raids
- upgrade in Powerbooks
- new Ipods
- sneek preview of new technologies from apple...
:|
:|
post #280 of 295
Perhaps all we'll see is software this time around?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › The "WWDC Speculation" Thread