or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › The "WWDC Speculation" Thread

The "WWDC Speculation" Thread - Page 3

post #81 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
That's because the 30" size is such a small market at this point. I would like to see sales numbers for the 30"... it would be interesting to see. If another company came out with a 30", you can bet it would be cheaper than apple's.

As you can see the 20" and 23" are outdated... especially the 20". Samsung has 19's and 20's down to 4ms response time. While the 20" hovers at 16ms response time. To me response time is the deciding factor when it comes to LCDs. I don't like dragging a window across the screen and watch it ghost behind. I work with graphics too much to have a tolerence for that.

That Dell 24" monitor has a 12 ms response time, not much better than the Apple's 23" Cinema Display.
17" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz, 128MB vram, 80 GB 5400 RPM HD, 2 GB DDR RAM, 200 GB LaCie D2 Extreme FW800 HD, M-Audio Sonica Theater USB Sound Card, Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra, Logitech MX 510, Apple...
17" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz, 128MB vram, 80 GB 5400 RPM HD, 2 GB DDR RAM, 200 GB LaCie D2 Extreme FW800 HD, M-Audio Sonica Theater USB Sound Card, Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra, Logitech MX 510, Apple...
post #82 of 295
An iPod SDK would certainly get the developers excited. Launching this along with iTunes 5 and some other HD kit would be huge!
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #83 of 295
Quote:
As for me, I don't think it will ever happen.

Ever....? seems to harsh! As technology gets cheaper and better such statemant doesn't make much sense to me. It might take few years to see such monitor but say never happen....
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
post #84 of 295
Why is 40" even needed? Who needs this? As it is it takes a 500 dollar graphics card to support the 30" display, (they are getting cheaper the 9650 does support it)... but it does take a special card to support such a high resolution.

The cost as it is for a 30" is pretty much for braggers and professionals. I suppose in 3 or so years the lcds will have dropped in price tremendously... over the last year I watched the dell 2001fp drop from 1k+ to 450

If this price trend follows the larger monitors, then I will agree it will eventually happen. I don't understand why apple would wnat to enter this market financially though. This 40"+ market is already saturated with plenty of companies that have been in the business much longer than apple. Viewsonic, Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, JVC, Phillips / Magnavox... apple would have some serious competition. This is why I say never.

Yes the dell is 12ms response time... Vs 16ms response time. There is a difference... though it wouldn't be noticed unless you were panning the whole screen.

You keep calling it a monitor... it wouldn't be just a monitor. It would be an LCD HDTV... not to be confused with an HD LCD. This is a market that has already been penetrated.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #85 of 295
Quote:
Why is 40" even needed? <snip> You keep calling it a monitor... it wouldn't be just a monitor. It would be an LCD HDTV... not to be confused with an HD LCD. This is a market that has already been penetrated.

Not to add fuel to this lengthy discussion but wouldn't this hypothetical Apple 40" display be much more than a HDTV? Wouldn't we be talking about 100 or more pixels per inch, much higher resolution than HDTVs? Otherwise, it would be pretty useless as a computer monitor.
post #86 of 295
Dear Emig647,
This discussion is getting long and I am getting tired.

Maybe you might not want or need a 40" monitor.

I am a broadcast designer. I would love to have such a monitor to work and also to preview the projects I am working on it. In the spare hours why not watch a HD DVD that will be coming soon.
I
f 3 years ago someone said that we would be working on a 30" monitor, people would think impossible. It's a reality today. That's why I disagree with your quote of "ever/never".

Maybe for most folks it's too much. Some people don't like dual monitors. Graphic designers, 3D animators, editors, etc. would benefit enormously of such monitor. So why not? Many people would benefit of this monitor. I hope Apple will make one eventually. And I think they will make it good if they target the same monitor to the home entertainment crowd that are paying big money to the current flat panel displays.

In the end it's all about choices.
I can work fine on a 20" monitor, but If there is something bigger and I can afford it. I'll buy it. so bring it on!
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #87 of 295
(that's why I quit replying)

I would like to point out that I do work on dual monitors on dual graphics cards. When I had my 2.0 g5 I had a ati 9200 in the pci slot and a 9600xt in the agp slot. Both running 20" Viewsonics. I enjoyed it. It was cheap. The bar in between was barely visible. But, I did have this set up cheaper than 1 23" apple monitor. As people are talking about in another thread... some apple setups (IE powermac) are niche in a niche... powermac being a niche and macs being a niche. This makes for a VERY small market. If apple sees a market for a 40" to make a good profit, then by all means produce one. I however don't see a 40" market. I think a 30" running 2560 resolution would be plenty. For the stuff I do the dual 20" was fine, I'd have all my toolbars on one screen (or multiple browsers) and all my editing stuff on the other monitor... IE Cinema, XCode, BBEdit, Photoshop. I am not in video, so if there is a high demand for these 40" monitors release them. I have to seriously step in and say I don't see it. Not saying it wouldn't be cool though.

Quote:

Quote:

post #88 of 295
Apple has a recent history of releasing a lot of updates in the weeks leading up to WWDC, to build buzz. Some of those updates have been significant, to the point where I remember people here wondering what on Earth Steve would talk about in his keynote.

That would be a good time to announce bumped iBooks, and similar small-but-significant updates.

Apple has a lot of ground to cover with developers. 10.4.1, or even 10.4.2, should be out by the time WWDC starts. That gives developers a stable base to work on, and it allows Apple to concentrate on big-picture issues like resolution independence, filesystem metadata, changing and optimizing (and threading) code for the more fine-grained kernel (especially, the more fine-grained I/O subsystem and networking stack, but also multiprocessing). They can also discuss optimization in depth. Perhaps they can give some hints about where they're headed. Tiger brought us stable, public APIs for everything (yay!) but there are a number of things that seem bolted-on, or unfinished, or unexploited (c.f. John Siracusa's in-depth discussion of Spotlight in his review on Ars), that might or might not mature into fundamental and pervasive components of the OS.

Since it's very likely that Apple will move to systems with more than two logical CPUs in the near future, they can also talk about that. Under NDA, of course.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!

Original music:
post #89 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
Since it's very likely that Apple will move to systems with more than two logical CPUs in the near future, they can also talk about that. Under NDA, of course.

How could they possibly do that with 2500 developers? It would be impossible to know a leak? Or would it be a special session? I suppose they could have selected people hit the sessions, but last year you could go to any session you wanted to as far as I knew, but I was just a regular WWDC attendee, maybe adobe and other special companies get special acesses with NDAs? If so I'm jealous

Quote:

Quote:

post #90 of 295
Quote:
How could they possibly do that with 2500 developers? It would be impossible to know a leak? Or would it be a special session? I suppose they could have selected people hit the sessions, but last year you could go to any session you wanted to as far as I knew, but I was just a regular WWDC attendee, maybe adobe and other special companies get special acesses with NDAs? If so I'm jealous

In fact, there are "behind the scenes" conferences at every major convention. If that makes you jealous, use that emotion to fuel the next Photoshop, then shell out for the Apple Premiere development contract, and then maybe you'll get in on the juicy stuff. But then, of course, relatively senior Apple folk will probably know you by name, and they will appreciate leaks even less.

If you look at the terms you agreed to as an Apple developer, and check in a few other places, you'll see that, in fact, anything Apple discusses at a WWDC conference that they have not announced in public is in fact under NDA, and that NDA is enforced.

There are alway leaks, of course, but most developers seem to be OK with keeping quiet. Since they all want Apple to give them as much information as possible with as little hassle as possible, there's also a certain amount of peer pressure to keep quiet, so that Apple doesn't get pissed off and become (more) coy and secretive with them.

Original music:

Original music:
post #91 of 295
The more I thought about it, the more I agree that there are behind the scenes sessions at WWDC. I suppose that was the reason they scanned everyone's pass before you entered at each session... bastards... Next time I'll have to kick an Apple devs ass outside of moscone center and steal his pass .

If being an apple premiere member is all it takes, it could be worth it... either way... we should bug every room

Quote:

Quote:

post #92 of 295
I think the iPod SDK is a viable thought for third party games and apps. More "Made for iPod" logo revenue.

Also what are the chances that Apple will finally license Fairplay? The iPod is in a very dominating position and Apple can garner more revenue by licensing Fairplay.

Wait a sec! with iTunes 4.8s capability to sell music videos, a new generation of iPod with video capability!
iMac G4 800
iMac G4 800
post #93 of 295
iPod SDK would definitely make WWDC worth the trip.

Quote:

Quote:

post #94 of 295
Not that it means anyting, I just visited the US Apple store and every computer, including laptops, is listing 1-2 days shipping.

Across the board updates next Tuesday. Powerbook G5's, Dual dual core G5 towers, MPC7448 iBooks and eMacs, 2.5Ghz G5 iMacs w/ 23" screens.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #95 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
Jobs announces new Powerbook:

1.8 GHz G4
17" 1440 x 900
Superdrive, 8x, dual layer.
ATI Mobility Radeon 9750
100 GB 5400 rpm HD

For Powerbooks, Jobs promises "2 GHz in one year!"

iBooks also get bumped:

1.42 GHz G4, 166 MHz FSB
14.1"
ATI Mobility Radeon 9250 64 MB
60 GB 4200 rpm HD
Superdrive, 8x

wait what??!! Did he already do it or just a guess? That would be a NICE ibook i would buy it so damn fast...
Soon: 12.1-inch TFT Display, 1024x768 resolution, 1.5GHz PowerPC G4, 512MB DDR333 SDRAM, 80GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB DDR)
IN MAIL Will be here Friday!!!! 5/27)
Soon: 12.1-inch TFT Display, 1024x768 resolution, 1.5GHz PowerPC G4, 512MB DDR333 SDRAM, 80GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB DDR)
IN MAIL Will be here Friday!!!! 5/27)
post #96 of 295
Quote:
If being an apple premiere member is all it takes, it could be worth it... either way... we should bug every room

It probably isn't enough. Being a Premier member and a major developer, or being a huge customer, or being a major journalist or analyst, is enough.

If I shelled out $3k/year for the Premier membership, I doubt I'd get more than exactly what Apple promises, simply because I'm one guy in Iowa. But Andy Inahtko would still get invited to look at prerelease products, because he's Andy Inahtko.

Original music:

Original music:
post #97 of 295
What if WWDC saw a monumental, unprecedented rollout of new Powermacs, Powerbooks, and ibooks?

Do you think it is possible?

Will it happen? probably not.

But Apple has done unprecedented things before. They fiddle with sticking to Tuesdays for hardware releases, they have updated powerbooks and powermacs almost right after updating them already. And, well, Tiger is out and the competition is at dual core.

What if Apple release New Powermacs with quad-core, new dual core Powerbooks, and new single-core G5 iBooks all at once? The iMac is already single-core G5, so it may not need an update.

I'd say the consumer level goes to single G5 across the board, while Pro series goes to multi-core G5-quad for the PowerMac and dual for the PowerBook. And the Mini can bump up to 1.67 ghz G4 to keep prices low and Freescale in business.

Apple is giving a lot of build up to the Jobs keynote for this event (even cannibalizing iMac marketing space on the front page of the web site) and as it is for developers, since Tiger will be there, it sounds ripe for a huge hardware announcement-like G5 and multi-core for the developers to jump on.

With all the rumors floating around about Apple having already contracted Asus to develop G5 iBooks and PowerBooks, it is just getting really interesting.

Granted, this thread is about as far-fetched as can be, but there has got to be a really huge announcement at WWDC this year.
post #98 of 295
iBooks will not get a G5 before the PowerBook does, and we are some way off that...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #99 of 295
Quote:
Granted, this thread is about as far-fetched as can be, but there has got to be a really huge announcement at WWDC this year.

WWDC has never seen a huge announcement. But it's fun to dream
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #100 of 295
Can we join this thread with the other thread?
(edit: The PM G5 was a kinda big announcement at a WWDC)
post #101 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
Can we join this thread with the other thread?
(edit: The PM G5 was a kinda big announcement at a WWDC)

True..I was thinking more along the lines of usually we see nor more than a couple products announced.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #102 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
WWDC has never seen a huge announcement. But it's fun to dream

G4, G5, at least one powerbook update. I wouldn't be surprised to see an hd powerbook, but anything beyond that is doubtful.
post #103 of 295
In fact, it makes little sense to update everything at once, because the announcements steal attention from each other.
post #104 of 295
The iMac was first shown at WWDC.

And yes, there's likely only going to be one major product announcement.
I have no idea what, though.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #105 of 295
no
onward....
post #106 of 295
As the sequel to Tiger is about 2 years out, it's pretty safe to say that Tiger will get support for more than dual processors somewhere in that period. So it's highly likely that we will see these new machines between this upcoming wwdc and a year from now. Either way, it's not far off
post #107 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
iBooks will not get a G5 before the PowerBook does, and we are some way off that...

If you will read the following quaote from the post this thread started with, you will notice that I was hoping for a G5 in a Powrebook at the same time as the iBook. The Powerbook would be dual-core G5, while the consumer machines would be single.

"I'd say the consumer level goes to single G5 across the board, while Pro series goes to multi-core G5-quad for the PowerMac and dual for the PowerBook. And the Mini can bump up to 1.67 ghz G4 to keep prices low and Freescale in business."

Anyway, this thread is not meant to be taken too seriously. I do believe that this is possible to do, especially with Apple wanting to keep up the market share growth-i think they would want to show the world they can aome out with the good stuff on time.

Like another said-It is at least a good dream. If this does not happen, no biggie as it lmost definitely will not.

I do remember rumor earlier this year about Powrebooks and iBooks BOTH being ordered from Apple to be built by Asus. I guess only time (a LOT of it, unfortunately) will tell.

I might as well just say it. I am hoping BIG TIME for a G5 PB. If not, a quad-core Powremac would do just fine.
post #108 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777

A redesigned iBook seems most likely to me because (1) it needs a Core Image supported graphics card, (2) the current design is four years old as of May 1st, and (3) this is the "year of HD".

Things I expect to see:
1. Widescreen
2. 64MB graphics card (at the very least a BTO option on high-end)
3. Higher screen resolution
4. Audio in
5. 512MB RAM (2/256, still 1.25GB max RAM)
6. Case still iPod white, but maybe color accented
7. Built-In Blue Tooth
8. High-end can get a 5400RPM hard drive
9. faster CPUs (1.33GHz and 1.5GHz)
10. Better battery life

Things I expect not to see
1. FireWire 800
2. DVI out/mini DVI out
3. Closed lid operation
4. Gigabit ethernet
5. Base hard drives are 4200RPM
6. faster bus and memory speed
7. SATA hard drives (PowerBooks will get them first)
8. Hard drives larger than 80GB

On the software side I would like to see the spreadsheet and database applications that will be part of iWork. If, as I believe, they are dependent on 10.4.x then Steve can intoduce them to the developers. The new iWork can be priced at $99.00 and the people that already purchased iWork can buy the two new applications for $20.00. To make sure someone does not just buy the two new apps for $20.00 either Keynote 2 or Pages has to be already installed.
post #109 of 295
That's some solid speculation, troberts.

The problem with a change in iBook form factor is that Apple's being constrained by their education sales.

When you're selling a notebook to schools in the tens of thousands, you're committed to support that form factor, including batteries and other accessories, for a number of years.

Apple would then have to support at least two sets of consumer portables if they changed the form factor. That's the reason for the long delay.

With regards to iWork, I hope the lackluster sales have shown Apple that the spreadsheet needs to come sooner than later. But I can't imagine Apple changing the suite, which would mean new packaging and a disc recall - till the fall.

iWork '05 was, after all, only introduced in January.
post #110 of 295
Let's not forget the iPhone which will almost certainly be introduced at WWDC... I just hope it is more interesting and innovative than just a standard Moto phone running a mobile version of iTunes. \
-- Candidas
(Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare)
-- Candidas
(Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare)
post #111 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by jms698
Let's not forget the iPhone which will almost certainly be introduced at WWDC... I just hope it is more interesting and innovative than just a standard Moto phone running a mobile version of iTunes. \

And lets hope it has a G5 or apple is doomed!
post #112 of 295
Quote:

The problem with a change in iBook form factor is that Apple's being constrained by their education sales.

When you're selling a notebook to schools in the tens of thousands, you're committed to support that form factor, including batteries and other accessories, for a number of years.

Apple would then have to support at least two sets of consumer portables if they changed the form factor. That's the reason for the long delay.

Um, so you think Apple can never revise the iBook design just because they've sold a bunch to schools, or you think Apple must stop selling to schools before they can revise the iBook? Neither makes sense to me. Why are schools any different than the hundreds of thousands of other customers who will just have to grin and bear it when their iBooks become the "previous" models?

I think the reason for the long delay is that iBooks have been selling well as they are, so Apple has had plenty of time to come up with a great new design. Four years is pretty long to go without a change, though. That's why I think it'll happen soon; probably at WWDC.
post #113 of 295
Quote:
That's some solid speculation, troberts.

I think troberts is only referring to the 14" model becoming widescreen; it hasn't been a big seller. At the 12" size, widescreen displays are too height-constrained to be of much use.

If they don't change the 14" to widescreen, at least they ought to increase the resolution.

But there's no reason to wait for WWDC to release such a rev. It could come out any day now.
post #114 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
I think troberts is only referring to the 14" model becoming widescreen; it hasn't been a big seller. At the 12" size, widescreen displays are too height-constrained to be of much use.

If they don't change the 14" to widescreen, at least they ought to increase the resolution.

But there's no reason to wait for WWDC to release such a rev. It could come out any day now.

I agree, if it's just a resolution bump, it might come out next Tuesday.

But if there's going to be a whole new shape to the 14" iBook, this close to WWDC I think Apple would wait so that Steve Jobs could show it off in his keynote.

Personally, I think if one size if revised, both will be, or one will be discontinued, followed shortly by the 12" PowerBook going to 13" wide screen. I fully expect all Apple portables to be wide screen by the end of the year and am surprised it hasn't happened already.
post #115 of 295
Dual dual-core X-station & 40" LCD
post #116 of 295
I wouldn't be surprised if WebObjects 6 gets announced with some updates to Xserve, Xserve RAID, Xsan and some other Enterprise Tools/Hardware.
post #117 of 295
i'm betting on livingroom-centric anouncements. ihome, video download, ipod docs on the device, etc. maybe even the device will have some kind of cell variant... it seems with the potential of the XBox, Apples time to move is now.
post #118 of 295
Quote:

To correct you, it was first shown to the Public at WWDC.

All Apple employees got to see it at DeAnza College. She was quite a shocker for the time being.

Everyone was wanting to ditch some of their old PPC systems for one on their desk.
post #119 of 295
Quote:
Originally posted by mikenap
i'm betting on livingroom-centric anouncements. ihome, video download, ipod docs on the device, etc. maybe even the device will have some kind of cell variant... it seems with the potential of the XBox, Apples time to move is now.

Remember that the X-Box won't ship till Christmas and any additional home centric gizmoids are unlikely to be working properly until mid 2006. A San Francisco announcement of the home orientated variety makes much more sense for APPL
post #120 of 295
Also If you remember correctly when Apple announced OS X the first time they had an enormous amount of BUZZ generated around OS X, and everybody was talking X. Then Microsoft's little gaming announcement wasn't that impressive in the minds of anyone compared to PS2, and they went, and announced they were naming it the X-BOX (putting that big M$ "X"- BUZZ word out there), and it totally shifted all Apples BUZZ their way. M$ totally stole Apples OS X BUZZ with the X-BOX, and Apple can do the same in reverse this time around if they get to work, and come up with a really cool home media center with iTunes integration, and any number of Apple utilities, and features.
But considering gaming is such a huge industry, and everybody is going to be buying, Apple would be naive to try to go head to head with console gaming without games integration.
They would have to make it the real digital hub with some kind of connection that links up to the M$ 360º device, or even better. All 3 gaming devices. Other options is to partner up with one of the 3 (= 2 not nintendo) And have an exclusive deal with iTMS included that would boost that particular device into the lead category. Now that M$ has shown their hand Apple could team up with sony, and link to their device, or both, and have the real media hub for the home. I know XBOX it's supposed to run with windows Media Center, or something, but you never know. Apple could try and partner up with all 3.
I'd like to see them partner with M$, but I think they (M$) are going to try and monopolize the XP media center thing, around the 360º. If M$ did give Apple an nod in to the 360º with such a device it would hardly hurt M$. Apple could pay some licensing, and M$ wouldn't look like a monopolist, It could still work with the XP media center too. Then Again M$ has shown their hand which could give Apple, and Sony much needed extra time to structure a PS3 / iHome network configuration that would knock the socks off the XBOX and put Sony as far ahead of the XBOX again as they were in year one.

Random thoughts on how Apple could take advantage of the new gaming consoles, and generate an enormous amount of BUZZ, and money for them self's again this X-MAS, and in the following year.

[edit] Probably should have put this in another thread.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › The "WWDC Speculation" Thread