or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › No Software Base Station for OS X

No Software Base Station for OS X

post #1 of 7
According to an <a href="http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1884%2526a%253D18459,00.asp" target="_blank">eWeek article</a>, Apple may not develop a Software Base Base Station for OS X. A standalone Base Station is obviously more elegant, but also more expensive.

I think that would be a serious shortcoming of AirPort on OS X, but can see that Apple would want to sell more Base Stations. I bet the profit margin on the APBS has improved drastically over the last 3 years, but it's still priced at $300. I wish I were an Apple shareholder instead of an Apple customer.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #2 of 7
That's definately a mistake. I plan to buy a Base Station sometime in the future, but I just don't have the money for it right now. I would really like a software base station in OS X because I have two computers already that both have AirPort cards (AirPort at work) and I would love to be able to use it at home too.
post #3 of 7
According to Maccentral, they're still working on it... and there are workarounds on VersionTracker
post #4 of 7
[quote]Originally posted by Nebrie:
<strong>... and there are workarounds on VersionTracker</strong><hr></blockquote>

just checked versiontracker and didn't find any "workarounds"... did I miss something?
post #5 of 7
[quote]Originally posted by Nebrie:
<strong>According to Maccentral, they're still working on it... and there are workarounds on VersionTracker</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nebrie: Could you please provide deep URLs?

Escher
post #6 of 7
So if there's no Software Basestation support, what's the "Create Network..." option do? Is it just for file sharing?
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #7 of 7
FYI: There's a <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=002236" target="_blank">thread at MacNN</a> that gives links to the 3rd party solutions for running a software base station in OS X. You need to use the terminal.

Escher
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › No Software Base Station for OS X