or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › New AirPort Express to bundle wireless remote control?

New AirPort Express to bundle wireless remote control? - Page 2

post #41 of 64
The mini might not be able to decode full HD, but it could stream it to an AirPort that could using a hardware decoder.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #42 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
rongold wasn't talking about H.264.

I know what he was saying. At the same time this question has been coming up in a number of places. It didn't hurt to mention it. When people talk about driving an HD display, they are not only talking about standard Def now, are they?
post #43 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
I know what he was saying. At the same time this question has been coming up in a number of places. It didn't hurt to mention it. When people talk about driving an HD display, they are not only talking about standard Def now, are they?

Hey, no need to get upset

My point was just, high definition doesn't necessarily imply H.264; there's other less CPU-intense codecs for it. Then again, we have a bandwidth limit when talking about AirPort Express.

I don't know how feasible a hardware decoder inside the AirPort Express would be at this point.
post #44 of 64
Quote:
Hey, no need to get upset

My point was just, high definition doesn't necessarily imply H.264; there's other less CPU-intense codecs for it. Then again, we have a bandwidth limit when talking about AirPort Express.

I don't know how feasible a hardware decoder inside the AirPort Express would be at this point.

I don't like H.264 - it will only play properly on G5s which is ridiculous. I want to be able to play a movie and do other stuff in the background - DIVX is so much better just have to wait for the mac update.
post #45 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
I don't like H.264 - it will only play properly on G5s which is ridiculous. I want to be able to play a movie and do other stuff in the background - DIVX is so much better just have to wait for the mac update.

I've found that despite what Apple is proclaiming, H.264 will work just fine in certain G4's. It won't reproduce anything above 720p though. A dual 1.2Ghz and above will be fine for that and lower. I tested several machines. Even a single 733Mhz works for "enhanced Def" at full screen.

How much 1080p material we will see is another story.

DIVX won't be any better than H.264 if you are expecting anything like the same file sizes. However, right now DIVX is far worse than H.264 when a comparison of file size vs. quality is made. It's not in the same ballpark.

The algorithms for H.264 are much more complex than anything used before. MS's new WMA for HD is also much more complex. That's why it takes more processing power to render them on screen.
post #46 of 64
Quote:
I've found that despite what Apple is proclaiming, H.264 will work just fine in certain G4's.

And that differs from Apple's claims *how*?
post #47 of 64
Quote:
I've found that despite what Apple is proclaiming, H.264 will work just fine in certain G4's. It won't reproduce anything above 720p though. A dual 1.2Ghz and above will be fine for that and lower. I tested several machines. Even a single 733Mhz works for "enhanced Def" at full screen.

How much 1080p material we will see is another story.

DIVX won't be any better than H.264 if you are expecting anything like the same file sizes. However, right now DIVX is far worse than H.264 when a comparison of file size vs. quality is made. It's not in the same ballpark.

The algorithms for H.264 are much more complex than anything used before. MS's new WMA for HD is also much more complex. That's why it takes more processing power to render them on screen.

But DIV X will play at full fps
post #48 of 64
Quote:
But DIV X will play at full fps

Yes. I own the full version. I have made video's using it, and it is fine for what it does.

But it won't duplicate H.264, which according to my tests will make a file almost one quarter the size with about the same on-screen quality.

But H.264 is taking advantage of a more modern computer's power. This is the way of the world. Apple and others can't quarantee that their budget machines will be able to take advantage of these new technologies. It's sad, but that's the way it is.

Later this year, or early next year the Mini will get a G5 and it will work better. The only suggestion for those who haven't bought them yet is to wait or get something else. None of the cheap PC's will be able to play HD H.264 or WMA either.

Don't get mad at me for pointing this out. It's just a fact.
post #49 of 64
I'm not mad at you or Apple but the fact is a PowerBook G4 at top spec will not play HD H.264. Only the PowerMac will play it (doesn't it require dual 2.0GHz G5?)
post #50 of 64
Quote:
I'm not mad at you or Apple but the fact is a PowerBook G4 at top spec will not play HD H.264. Only the PowerMac will play it (doesn't it require dual 2.0GHz G5?)

As I've said only the highest resolutions are difficult.

Who knows? MacOS Rumors, which has been right at times, states that Apple will be coming out with dual Powerbooks before too long. If so, then Apple will be expanding the range of machines that can use this. It's to be expected. I've tried to access Rumors link, but for some reason can't get through. I'm sure that you have it bookmarked though.

The iMac G5's will play it. At least the new ones for sure, but I believe that the old ones will as well.

Don't forget that even the top Powerbooks and G5 iMacs don't have a screen that will resolve either 1080i or 1080p. The issue therefore is not that dry. H.264 plays better at lesser rendered rez's, though a 9600 or higher chip also helps.
post #51 of 64
Quote:
Who knows? MacOS Rumors, which has been right at times, states that Apple will be coming out with dual Powerbooks before too long.

Mac OS Rumors has no rumors and is traditionally ridiculous in its claims.
post #52 of 64
Quote:

Very much untrue over the years. They have made a number of statements that proved to be true.

But now they have gotten cold feet and state that all of their speculation is gotten from info from open sources. Still, I've found that they are right about as much as Insider and Thinksecert have been. Most of what they say is wrong as well.
post #53 of 64
Quote:

Not true over past years. They have made statements that have proved to be correct.

Now though, they have gotten cold feet, and have stated that they have gotten their info from open sources. But still, they have gotten some things right.

They are right about as often as Insider and Thinksecert have been, even though they haven't stolen info as Thinksecret and the Powerpage have.
post #54 of 64
For all those people who are excited about this story, you need to understand that this message has been present in iTunes since the 4.6 release - it is not new at all.

iTunes 4.6 was the first version to support AirTunes and when the Keyspan remote control was released Apple also release a new version of the Airport Express firmware that include the support for the Keyspan Remote Control.

The message then started appearing in iTunes unless you changed the Firewall of you ticked the 'do not show this message' again box.

There is no need to expect a new Airport Express with remote control from Apple just because of this message. That does not mean Apple won't make one, but this message is NOT confirmation.

Ian
post #55 of 64
Quote:

They are right about as often as Insider and Thinksecert have been,

post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Jambo

Well, you know, with all of the mumbo jumbo involved, and the fact that he isn't always as specific as you guys are, he's done ok.

I don't remember how many times you have been wrong, but never referred to that error later.

At least he's been known to say "we blew it".

Let's see if his latest predictions are close or not. you haven't said anything about it, so it should be interesting.

These are all rumors sites, you know. That's what makes them fun.

Sometimes one site will get something that they are not supposed to have and then a brouhaha begins. We all know about that as well.

Look at O'Grady's Powerpage, for example. He made so many predictions that were off the wall, that we constantly criticized him for them. It got to the point that he no longer allows comments on his articles. Even if you're a member and want to send an e-mail you have to go through so many hoops that it's not worth it.

So, to regain some credibility, he gets confidential drawings, and publishes them. Sheesh. Too far.

You guys are in the middle. But you can accept criticism.

I do respect that. That's why I'm here.
post #57 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by parky
For all those people who are excited about this story, you need to understand that this message has been present in iTunes since the 4.6 release - it is not new at all.

Well, I personally am not excited about this particular story. I am basing my belief of this remote/portable dummy-terminal by looking at industry trends and other evidence layed out in front of us that seems to be pointing in the direction that I have layed out. I also expect this device to use the iPod as leverage and even make it more attractive for continued purchases.
I could be wrong, BUT... this is what it is looking like.

Quote:
Originally posted by parky
iTunes 4.6 was the first version to support AirTunes and when the Keyspan remote control was released Apple also release a new version of the Airport Express firmware that include the support for the Keyspan Remote Control.

The message then started appearing in iTunes unless you changed the Firewall of you ticked the 'do not show this message' again box.

This point is incorrect and invalid. The Keyspan Remote came out before Mac OS X (and iTunes for that matter) was even released - 7 years ago.
post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by rongold
This point is incorrect and invalid. The Keyspan Remote came out before Mac OS X (and iTunes for that matter) was even released - 7 years ago.

That's not how Keyspan remembers it.
post #59 of 64
Quote:

Actually the Keyspan came out in 2000, 5 years ago, but support for the device in iTunes / AirTunes / Airport Express only came with iTunes 4.6 and the 6.1 update to the Airport Express base station.

The Keyspan only worked with the Airtunes and iTunes after the Airport Express firmware update.

You can read more about it here :-

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...formacosx.html

It makes no difference anyway, the whole point of the 'news' story was to try to say that this 'new' message means a new remote Airport Express from Apple. Regardless of when the Keyspan came out, the message has been around since iTunes 4.6 came out, it is not new in 4.8 and so the story is not based on a sound foundation. If this story had come out with iTunes 4.6 it would have been interesting and maybe a little more relevant, but so late after the fact does not seem to indicate that Apple are rushing out a remote.

Ian
post #60 of 64

I bought mine in 1999.
post #61 of 64
ANYWAY - the point was there is other evidence other than this remote message: wasn't it?
post #62 of 64
Quote:

I bought mine in 1999.

You are still missing the entire point. Last fall, shortly after the release of iTunes 4.6, Keyspan released a remote specifically made for AirTunes. Unless you went through some weird timewarp, it makes zero sense that a remote from 1999 (which is 7 years how?) would have supported iTunes, let alone AirTunes, from the start. Whether it supports it through some firmware update simply doesn't matter at all in this discussion.

This feature, the DACP (digital audio control protocol), has been introduced in iTunes 4.6, not 4.8. 4.8 merely changed the dialog box slightly to conform to Aqua HIGs better. There is no indication whatsoever that Apple will introduce a remote soon.
post #63 of 64
It seems clear to me that you will not let me... win this arguement(?); so I concede.
post #64 of 64
Sounds good to me.

If bose can make a remote control with song lists in it, so can Apple.

http://www.bose.com/images/home_ente...b_al8_pmc2.jpg

With this being RF, it would work anywhere around the house.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › New AirPort Express to bundle wireless remote control?