or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Evolution Lock Uncalled For - Read Before Protest Eliminated

Evolution Lock Uncalled For - Read Before Protest Eliminated  

post #1 of 17
Quote:
sorry guys. I really wanted you to do well, but it cannot be. I cannot find the last post that specifically relates to the original question.

From this point on - do NOT start any more posts relating to Evolution and/or Creationism. There are plenty of other forums on the net to discuss these things.

Several weeks ago, after OB locked a second thread on this subject, I wrote him (and a few other posters) expressing my disappointment. Written in a civil and constructive mode, I suggested that he was overly sensitive on this subject and that all of us enjoyed the discussion. Moreover, I suggested a few messages that had cartoons could be deleted (or the posters warned) before a sudden shutdown.

I GOT NO ANSWER!

This last 'badge heavy' action by OB confirms what many of us have suspected, he has a hair trigger on this subject and an agenda to shut down this subject for the slightest reason...

As Giant noted, we have had many political subjects that have wandered off 'the question' but stayed within the subject without threats (let alone action) to shut them down - most recently it took two messages on the thread Hillary and the Rosen trial to turn into a discussion of Republican misdeeds and unfair methods of politics. No one cared (nor did I, it was a fun topic).

All of us entered this thread feeling like we were walking on eggs, and under a warning to keep the discussion civil. Compared to political threads it was more than civil, certainly more than other threads.

But OB could not wait to find a reason, so he pulls the off-topic card. As we happily discuss theistic evolution as science (clearly within subject matter and intent) he pulls the "OFF TOPIC" card, and bans the subject without warning.

It is clear that this moderator a) refuses to discuss his imperious acts. b) is biased c) is inconsistent in his criteria and will, almost certainly, eliminate or pigeon hole this dissent as "inappropriate".

It was uncalled for and absurd. If you don't like people writing this kind of response, why don't you answer their polite inquiries?

You sir, are badge heavy and your action uncalled for.
post #2 of 17
I think it's wrong to lock contentious threads. Ban people that are assholes, but don't lock threads.
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
I think it's wrong to lock contentious threads. Ban people that are assholes, but don't lock threads.

Start an evolution thread. Get it locked.

It sucks but it's the law.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #4 of 17
Quote:

I agree, and it this case it was not 'incivility' it was slightly 'off-topic'. That's dumb - besides, on other threads that were seriously off-topic, the mod just told us to start another thread (or moved the items to a new thread).

I don't know who or why these occurs...
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Start an evolution thread. Get it locked.

It sucks but it's the law.

It not only sucks, but its wrong. Are you saying we do not have a right to protest ? Are you saying the mods are irrational and imperious autocrats, unable to accept advice or unwilling to respond to it ?

Who made them Gods ? Is there some secret order that appointed a few people to act as board kings ? I've read the rationale for heavy handed rule, but its not clear who is responsible for the rationale.

Do they march under orders from Apple ? It would be nice for someone to clarify...but then, they don't respond.

I know I am 'not of the body' of Landru, but unlike any board I've been on - its very autocratic and secretative...how come?
post #6 of 17
I started reviewing OB's posting history. He definitely has a conservative bent, and mentions that his "wife is our creative pastor" in a thread about something called "C3", which I gather is some sort of fundamentalist Christian conference that he attended.

None of that, of course, should disqualify him from moderating... unless, of course, his personal beliefs are biasing his "moderation". I think they are. I think the line "God, as a solution, is a copout. It's metal laziness." annoyed OB, so he locked the thread.

It's not that we're being expected to be polite or civil to each other that's the main issue here. OB wants us to be polite about his beliefs. I'll bet that someone could have called Darwinism a cop-out, or, in another context, called Buddhism a cop-out, and no thread locking would have occurred.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
I started reviewing OB's posting history. He definitely has a conservative bent, and mentions that his "wife is our creative pastor" in a thread about something called "C3", which I gather is some sort of fundamentalist Christian conference that he attended.

None of that, of course, should disqualify him from moderating... unless, of course, his personal beliefs are biasing his "moderation". I think they are. I think the line "God, as a solution, is a copout. It's metal laziness." annoyed OB, so he locked the thread.

It's not that we're being expected to be polite or civil to each other that's the main issue here. OB wants us to be polite about his beliefs. I'll bet that someone could have called Darwinism a cop-out, or, in another context, called Buddhism a cop-out, and no thread locking would have occurred.

Ahhhhh, that explains it. QB is an 'activist judge' of the right, judging with a finger on the scales of justice, blindfold removed.

So who appoints moderators ? Is there a 'senior' leader among the group ? Can we get him removed on this subject ?
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxParrish
It not only sucks, but its wrong. Are you saying we do not have a right to protest ? Are you saying the mods are irrational and imperious autocrats, unable to accept advice or unwilling to respond to it ?

Who made them Gods ? Is their some secret order that appointed a few people to act as board kings ? I've read the rationale for heavy handed rule, but its not clear who is responsible for the rationale.

Do they march under orders from Apple ? It would be nice for someone to clarify...but then, they don't respond.

Well, the problem imo is that in any discussion - on the net or in real life - if it is 'real' will veer onto other peripheral but connected (even if tenuously) topics. This is generally regarded as the pleasure of debate.

Apparently here it cannot happen and we have to adhere to some form of 'literalism' in a fundamentalist sense by abiding by the exact topic of the post to the letter.

I suspect this is for reasons we know not of - perhaps there is a monstrous regiment of mod-alert button pushers - a lobby group who complain about subjects which they would wish to censor and the mods feel obliged to placate. Or perhaps the mods are actually fascists. Perhaps even we are all annoying morons and don't realise it (as you wouldn't) - this seems likely imo. I often feel that all the denizens of PO are complete saddos, myself included.

Anyway, having said all that one can always start another thread so how bad can it be ?

As a possible workaround I would suggest thread titles like 'evolution'. 'why ?', 'God' and 'something sucks but I'm not sure what it is - please help'.

Or just chill out, have a laugh and indulge in one's soporific of choice - that's always my policy.
post #9 of 17
I thought the evolution thread was very amicable...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar

I would have PMed you if I could but shouldn't it be Johnq quoted in your sig ?
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar

I think it was, even I was trying to be civil and productive, I think Shetlines right in his analysis.

BTW, if you really wanted to hammer out the details of Creation/Evolution, you would probably end up here.

http://www.evcforum.net/

But I'm really past all this, it sucks.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Well, the problem imo is that in any discussion - on the net or in real life - if it is 'real' will veer onto other peripheral but connected (even if tenuously) topics. This is generally regarded as the pleasure of debate.

Apparently here it cannot happen and we have to adhere to some form of 'literalism' in a fundamentalist sense by abiding by the exact topic of the post to the letter.

I suspect this is for reasons we know not of - perhaps there is a monstrous regiment of mod-alert button pushers - a lobby group who complain about subjects which they would wish to censor and the mods feel obliged to placate. Or perhaps the mods are actually fascists. Perhaps even we are all annoying morons and don't realise it (as you wouldn't) - this seems likely imo. I often feel that all the denizens of PO are complete saddos, myself included.

Anyway, having said all that one can always start another thread so how bad can it be ?

As a possible workaround I would suggest thread titles like 'evolution'. 'why ?', 'God' and 'something sucks but I'm not sure what it is - please help'.

Or just chill out, have a laugh and indulge in one's soporific of choice - that's always my policy.

I have no idea who/or what is behind this regime of control, but it has taken a lot of pleasure from this board. Your right, a little wandering (although I don't think it true in this case) is fine...what does one expect out of a thread that has 150 posts, and is one of the most popular?

Well let us form a lobby group. The natural sciences are a legit subject of discussion, and anti-moderns should not be allowed to apply 18th century umbrige to our desire to defend and discuss science - its absurd on a board dedicated to the latest in computer technology.

So, I'm not going to 'chill out', not unless change is impossible. Therefore, let's all "LOBBY" for sanity, let's all rotate starting threads on evolution of a general nature...if they want to ban us all as wild secular humanists...so be it (the board will be empty of intelligent discussion).

So signup: I'll go first...

Max Parrish
next name here
post #13 of 17
Don't do that Max. Just let PowerDoc or Jambo know that you don't like the idea, and maybe they'll agree - or maybe they won't, but don't be an asshole and start a bunch of threads.
post #14 of 17
I'll second it.

What's the point of creating a "PoliticalOutsider" forum, if not to have "controversial" political discussions? And what I really don't appreciate is the threat of a ban for starting an evolution versus creation thread.
post #15 of 17
What I don't like is the fact that our dear Prosecutor arbitrarily decided to lock the thread without warning. If ignorance of the law is no excuse mr. prosecutor, what happens when there is no law?
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Don't do that Max. Just let PowerDoc or Jambo know that you don't like the idea, and maybe they'll agree - or maybe they won't, but don't be an asshole and start a bunch of threads.

I can agree with not starting a bunch of threads about E v C. That would be in poor taste. But something needs to be said about a forum created explicitly for the discussion of political topics, yet we aren't allowed to discuss certain things.
post #17 of 17
Suggestion goes to different forums. Beefs with certain mods or admins go into PM. And at the moment evolution threads go to other boards.

And thats the way the cookie crumbles...
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Evolution Lock Uncalled For - Read Before Protest Eliminated