or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › What is going on with the moderators?

What is going on with the moderators?

post #1 of 33
Why all the thread locking?
This is making this once fine website seem very childish and big brother like.

Something needs to be done about it.
post #2 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
Why all the thread locking?
This is making this once fine website seem very childish and big brother like.

Something needs to be done about it.

6 locked threads in FH + the 2 "check forum" ones...this is just getting ridiculous. As much as I don't want to tell you how to do your job, if you're going lock a thread, give a reason.
My computer can beat up your computer.
post #3 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by mynamehere
6 locked threads in FH + the 2 "check forum" ones...this is just getting ridiculous. As much as I don't want to tell you how to do your job, if you're going lock a thread, give a reason.

Make that 7 + 2...
post #4 of 33
Quote:
Make that 7 + 2...

Make that 7 unneccessary threads which, either:

1) Offer no original content from the poster.
2) Duplicate threads already in progress.

-or-

3) Proclaim that 'The Apple Store Is Down!!!'.

The two 'locked' threads at the top of the FH forum are there for a specific reason. That reason should be evident ... in fact, one of the sticky threads specifically asks users to check the forum before posting a new thread. If that post were followed, we would have less need to lock threads.

If you have a complaint about the moderation, please address the situation through the PM system with the applicable forum mods or an administrator.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution

-snip-

If you have a complaint about the moderation, please address the situation through the PM system with the applicable forum mods or an administrator.

I have to totally disagree with that attitude. These forums are made by a community, and complaints about the moderation the forums should be made in the open, not hushed up behind closed doors.

I also think that too many threads have been closed by the moderators. Some of the threads might have been placed onto the wrong forum and should have been moved, but way too many threads are being locked.

Moderators, please remember - just because you feel that a topic has been "beaten to death," it does not mean that all of us feel the same way, so please leave it open so the rest of us can partake in the discorse. If no one is interested in a thread, it will die on it's own, there is no reason to kill it.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Res
I have to totally disagree with that attitude. These forums are made by a community, and complaints about the moderation the forums should be made in the open, not hushed up behind closed doors.

The posting guidelines are clear, complaints about an admin or a mod should be dealed only via e mail or PM. That's the way it works, on most forums I go on.
Now it's not specified on the guidelines that you can talk about the moderation in general.
Now remember that the moderators are doing a free job, in order to keep this forums nice.
We are open to any suggestions, but we will never do whatever people want, if we think that it's against the gaol of this forum ( a civil place to discuss Apple's related stuff).

Quote:

I also think that too many threads have been closed by the moderators. Some of the threads might have been placed onto the wrong forum and should have been moved, but way too many threads are being locked.

Moderators, please remember - just because you feel that a topic has been "beaten to death," it does not mean that all of us feel the same way, so please leave it open so the rest of us can partake in the discorse. If no one is interested in a thread, it will die on it's own, there is no reason to kill it.

I can understand your point to a certain extent, but when too many threads are open, it lead to confusion. It's better to have less open threads, but more complete one. Some members will not want to reply to every duplicate threads. And in general these members are the best contributors of these boards.
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
The posting guidelines are clear, complaints about an admin or a mod should be dealed only via e mail or PM. That's the way it works, on most forums I go on.

Then what's this (Feedback) forum? chopped liver?

Quote:
Now it's not specified on the guidelines that you can talk about the moderation in general.

Well, maybe it should be then (we are in the feedback forum after all, which has the description "For use in presenting us with comments and suggestions on the forums.")

Quote:
Now remember that the moderators are doing a free job, in order to keep this forums nice. We are open to any suggestions, but we will never do whatever people want, if we think that it's against the gaol of this forum ( a civil place to discuss Apple's related stuff).

Unfortunately, it's always "what the moderators think," and that seems to be proving that they have the power to ban and lock at their whim.

All we're asking (I think) is that you at least think (and look) twice before locking a thread, since quite often they are not identical to others already in the forum.
If you feel you must lock a thread, then post a reply with the reason and a link to the appropriate thread, if such a thread exists.
In some of these cases, we couldn't email/pm the mod since whoever the mod was hadn't bothered with this common courtesy.

And one more thing to all the mods: don't get wrapped up in the notion that you have unlimited power with no accountability. It's actions like these that will eventually drive the users away to other sites.
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Then what's this (Feedback) forum? chopped liver?

Well, maybe it should be then (we are in the feedback forum after all, which has the description "For use in presenting us with comments and suggestions on the forums.")

Unfortunately, it's always "what the moderators think," and that seems to be proving that they have the power to ban and lock at their whim.

All we're asking (I think) is that you at least think (and look) twice before locking a thread, since quite often they are not identical to others already in the forum.
If you feel you must lock a thread, then post a reply with the reason and a link to the appropriate thread, if such a thread exists.
In some of these cases, we couldn't email/pm the mod since whoever the mod was hadn't bothered with this common courtesy.

And one more thing to all the mods: don't get wrapped up in the notion that you have unlimited power with no accountability. It's actions like these that will eventually drive the users away to other sites.

Thanks for your lessons ...
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Thanks for your lessons ...

you're very welcome.
post #10 of 33
So is it going to stop or not?
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
So is it going to stop or not?

Actually, I think I have found a solution. After reading this thread I believe you can solve the problem by simply transferring the FH mods to PO (Political Outsider) since they seem to be dealing with the opposite of the FH problem.
post #12 of 33
We will never allow threads like this :
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=55691

This forum will stay clean.
A vast majority of our members like it this way.
post #13 of 33
I understand locking threads that are inflammatory, duplicates or advertisements, but why delete the AppleNova thread from earlier today?

I though we were beyond that?
post #14 of 33
I'd like an answer to that one as well. There are a lot of users who frequent both sites. Some of those folks were relying on THIS site to keep in touch. And to problem solve a very difficult situation. I started that thread in hopes of giving AN's mods and users an opportunity to explain what was going on. If ever there was a useful thread, that was probably it. If you allow your personal issues to get in the way, then you only prove the points being made here.

Why? Give us an answer. Perhaps you can convince those of us who chose AN early on to utilize both sites!
Just another transplanted nobody!
post #15 of 33
Not to mention that the AN thread was NOT locked, no one was warned, no explanation was given. It was just quietly swept under the rug. Was it that bad?
post #16 of 33
Their site, their rules. If they want to delete threads about AN, that's their perrogative and their perfectly justified in doing it.

I was hoping for a little understanding in this case. The young man (Jack) who'd registered our domains passed away a month ago. He'd renewed them a week or so before he died, and I'm guessing the credit card bill defaulted upon his death.

I understand that there might be some bad blood left, but in this case I was hoping for a bit more understanding considering the circumstances and the amount of cross posting between sites. *shrugs*

However, your site your rules. I won't post any info about it if that will just lead to a thread deletion.
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by alcimedes
Their site, their rules. If they want to delete threads about AN, that's their perrogative and their perfectly justified in doing it.

I was hoping for a little understanding in this case. The young man (Jack) who'd registered our domains passed away a month ago. He'd renewed them a week or so before he died, and I'm guessing the credit card bill defaulted upon his death.

I understand that there might be some bad blood left, but in this case I was hoping for a bit more understanding considering the circumstances and the amount of cross posting between sites. *shrugs*

However, your site your rules. I won't post any info about it if that will just lead to a thread deletion.

Really. I guess that explains the tone of "I can barely stand to post here, but I guess I have to" from our cross-posting "friends"?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Really. I guess that explains the tone of "I can barely stand to post here, but I guess I have to" from our cross-posting "friends"?

A great many of us do frequent both sites. I know that there is "bad blood" between some of the moderators of each site, but I think it is past time people get over it. Deleting a thread about the current situation at AN is not only childish, but is a disservice to the whole Apple community.
post #19 of 33
Nevermind.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #20 of 33
We don't want to hurt you. If you let us have a thread here, then we will have an easier time of getting our own forum running again, so we can leave you be. Please bear with us in the next couple days!
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox

Be quick chester.

Breathe everybody breathe. I was replying to the deleted thread when it was deleted but I was going to say, (until then) that I thought it was very gracious of AI to allow the thread and chide the AN members for not being a little more courteous.

So how about doing that and AI given the circumstances and Jack's recent death, how about if they behave, cutting a bit of slack here. You never know, it might have positive benefits for everybody.

You reap what you sow.

And I've changed the emphasis of where I post because I got fed up with someone here. adda if you think back, I'm sure you'll appreciate the irony of our respective situations.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
Be quick chester.

Breathe everybody breathe. I was replying to the deleted thread when it was deleted but I was going to say, (until then) that I thought it was very gracious of AI to allow the thread and chide the AN members for not being a little more courteous.

So how about doing that and AI given the circumstances and Jack's recent death, how about if they behave, cutting a bit of slack here. You never know, it might have positive benefits for everybody.

You reap what you sow.

And I've changed the emphasis of where I post because I got fed up with someone here. adda if you think back, I'm sure you'll appreciate the irony of our respective situations.

This thread was moved away, because we feared that it will degenerate. We decided to move it back to Apple outsider, but to close it.

Of course if there is other news I will update the thread.
post #23 of 33
If you all want to see an example of a moderator with delusions of grandeur, check out this reply from groverat to me in a PM.
All I did was suggest that instead of just locking a thread on Iran, he at least give a days warning so things can wrap up.
This is what is ruining Appleinsider:

Re: how nice
quote:
That means you should just try to be fair, and not take sides.

Ok... did I take sides?

quote:
At least, if you are going to lock a thread give a days warning so the discussion can wrap up.

Warnings can be given. Or threads can just be locked. It's really not a hard-and-fast rule either way. You can prefer that I had done it another way, but do not pretend to decide what must happen.
post #24 of 33
Normally Steve 666, such posts are against our posting guidelines and should be deleted.
But as Groverat's answer appears so evil, I will let people judge by themselves.
Of course no comments will be allowed.
In the contrary this thread will be closed.

My last sentance was a warning
post #25 of 33
Are you kidding me?
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Are you kidding me?

While I can understand the frustration of threads being locked, there are rules about discussing issues with a specific moderator. It's in the posting guidelines:

Quote:
Moderators' and administrators' most visible functions are the locking and moving of threads. If your thread is locked, an explanation should be posted by the moderator who locked the thread as to why. If you feel the moderator who locked your thread has erred in locking it, e-mail or private message the moderator or an administrator about it. Do not create a new thread protesting the lock, post complains, or a make a thread in Suggestions about it.

Quote:
Do not start a thread in Suggestions or make a post in any other forum for the purpose of expressing displeasure with the actions of a moderator or administrator. Comments meant for moderators and administrators should be sent directly to the moderators and administrators. If you do not wish to address the moderator with whom you have a complaint, then contact one of the other administrators. If you have a legitimate suggestion as to how a potential problem could be fixed, express it in a manner which will not be interpreted as hostile.

I don't think the point can be made much more clearly than that.

Obviously there are many occasions when personalities will continue to clash. The mods have had discussions in the past about avoiding taking action in threads that they have posted in or when it might seem that a thread was locked/deleted to spite a specific member with whom the mod has been sparring in the past. Unfortunately, if a thread has come to a point that it requires action, sometimes the only mod online is the one who would appear to show some impropriety. We can't leave a thread to unravel for the lack of a thoroughly impartial mod.
post #27 of 33
OK, and so the best way to deal with it would be to email the contact info on Appleinsider, which I did.
And I received no reply, which I never do.

So, what it boils down to is that whoever the moderator is that is causing problems, or is clearly an egomaniac basically has carte blanche to do whatever he wants because we are powerless to do anything about it, including complain.

Am I correct in this assumption?
post #28 of 33
Quote:
OK, and so the best way to deal with it would be to email the contact info on Appleinsider, which I did.
And I received no reply, which I never do.

So, what it boils down to is that whoever the moderator is that is causing problems, or is clearly an egomaniac basically has carte blanche to do whatever he wants because we are powerless to do anything about it, including complain.

Am I correct in this assumption?

If you contact the forum Admins (Powerdoc or Jambo), as suggested in the posting guideline, steps will be taken. We mods are all just a mouse-click away from being regular members.

We're also, however, a mouse-click away from deleting ad-hom attacks. Keep that in mind when you reply in this thread.
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
If you contact the forum Admins (Powerdoc or Jambo), as suggested in the posting guideline, steps will be taken. We mods are all just a mouse-click away from being regular members.

We're also, however, a mouse-click away from deleting ad-hom attacks. Keep that in mind when you reply in this thread.

Why do you say that, I haven't been nasty at all.

Anyhoo, so when I email AI I am actually emailing Powerdoc?

And, what are the chances of the person I am complaining about actually being stripped of his moderator duties?

I think there is a pattern formed by this individual that is why I am asking.

Also, why have a feedback forum if we have to be so careful about what we can say? Isn't it kind of silly? JMHO.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Why do you say that, I haven't been nasty at all.

'Delusions of grandeur' could be construed as either a shrewd observation or an attack, I suppose. 'Egomaniac' begins to stretch it for me. I don't want to see it go past that point.

Quote:
Anyhoo, so when I email AI I am actually emailing Powerdoc?

No, you would be emailing Kasper, who runs the site. His concentration is the front news page, though.

Powerdoc and Jambo can be contacted using the PM system. I can see a need for a more straight-forward explanation of that in the guidleines.

Quote:
And, what are the chances of the person I am complaining about actually being stripped of his moderator duties?

I think there is a pattern formed by this individual that is why I am asking.

I couldn't answer that.

Quote:
Also, why have a feedback forum if we have to be so careful about what we can say? Isn't it kind of silly? JMHO.

The rules have been in place for a lot longer than I've been asked to enforce them. I think the intent was that people should be able to sort out their issues in a private, intelligent manner.
post #31 of 33
>Delusions of grandeur' could be construed as either a shrewd observation or an attack, I suppose. 'Egomaniac' begins to stretch it for me. I don't want to see it go past that point.<

Oh yeh, forgot about that

>No, you would be emailing Kasper, who runs the site. His concentration is the front news page, though.<

Is Kasper a ghost? He never answers his email.

>Powerdoc and Jambo can be contacted using the PM system. I can see a need for a more straight-forward explanation of that in the guidleines.<

I tried PMing Groverat. We all see how that turned out! Next time I'll try one of those two.

>The rules have been in place for a lot longer than I've been asked to enforce them. I think the intent was that people should be able to sort out their issues in a private, intelligent manner<

I tried that at first, but he basically jumped all over me. I will go right to the top next time. Or next to the top.
post #32 of 33
Quote:
We will never allow threads like this :
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=55691This forum will stay clean.
A vast majority of our members like it this way.

I agree, but feel a constructive AppleNova thread is possible. Thanks, . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #33 of 33
I think this thread can use some more positive energy so here:

No need to thank me, I'm just your average American doing my job.
The bored one.
The bored one.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › What is going on with the moderators?