or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Its versus It's

Its versus It's - Page 2

post #41 of 70
"Its" is used as a possessive for a nongendered pronoun. "It's" is used as a contraction for "it is", or for the possessive of somebody NAMED "It".
post #42 of 70
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
or for the possessive of somebody NAMED "it".

Yes. But then it would be capitalized. Cousin It's hat is cool.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #43 of 70
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Yes. But then it would be capitalized. Cousin It's hat is cool.

Oops, can't believe I forgot to capitalize. Fixed.
post #44 of 70
It's = It has.

Duh.

--B

post #45 of 70
(Rushes in, glasses steamed up, hikes up already hight waisted pants)
(In loud, nasal voice):

And stop using "torturous" when you mean "tortuous" and vice versa! You guys! Hey! Where is everybody? Guys?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #46 of 70
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
(Rushes in, glasses steamed up, hikes up already hight waisted pants)
(In loud, nasal voice):

And stop using "torturous" when you mean "tortuous" and vice versa! You guys! Hey! Where is everybody? Guys?

Oh, man. It it were only "it's" and what you've mentioned. I'm convinced of the following:

1) My students have a random preposition generator. "I will write over this subject by a number of aspects."

2) My students just use who/whom and me/myself however they feel like. "I'm the one whom revealed it's significance to myself."
post #47 of 70
Oh, and let's not forget about the San Francisco ice cream treat It's-It.

Presumably a secondary treat owned by same would be an "It's-It's It's-It", most certainly the exact point at which grammar collides with confection and makes a rhythm track. Let's dance!
post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Not quite. It can mean possessive as well. Though it's not the preferred way of using it. It has a somewhat special status in terms of the possessive. Nevertheless...

There are several way's of expressing , er, it.

One of the definitiions of the Webster's (notice the apostrophe?) Third New International Dictionary; still the standard in these matters, has as one of the expressions of its:

it's \\"\\ adj [by alter.] its

In it's/its Guide to Punctuation we find:

An apostrophe and s are usually added to a noun to indicate ownership or a relation analogous to ownership. ...a survival of the es ending in Old and Middle English,...

in addition

An apostrophe either with or without s forms the possive case of singular nouns ending in an s or z sound.

There is a fair amount more.

The point being that while "it" is a special case, it's perfactly ok, though not a "modern" usage.

I hereby nominate this for post of the century.
post #49 of 70
Quote:
Oh, man. It it were only "it's" and what you've mentioned. I'm convinced of the following:

1) My students have a random preposition generator. "I will write over this subject by a number of aspects."

2) My students just use who/whom and me/myself however they feel like. "I'm the one whom revealed it's significance to myself."

I always kind of liked the sound of writing that is taking a blind stab at sounding "academic" (of course, I don't have to read it all the time nor dissuade its authors from their eccentric course).

"I will write over this subject by a number of aspects." Just so.

Midwinter, have you ever happened across the short story "Essay #3: Leda and the Swan"? I think it's in one of those "Best New American Voices" type anthologies.

It takes the form of a high school student trying and failing to respond to an essay question about the Yeats poem (and yet disconcertingly succeeding as she recapitulates the subject piece while recounting her seduction by her sisters boyfriend).

The author provides her with a hilariously syntactically challenged style that I think you would really enjoy.
post #50 of 70
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
I always kind of liked the sound of writing that is taking a blind stab at sounding "academic" (of course, I don't have to read it all the time nor dissuade its authors from their eccentric course).

"I will write over this subject by a number of aspects." Just so.

Well, one of my old and hopelessly optimistic colleagues used to say "sometimes they sail over the bar. Sometimes they sail under the bar. Sometimes the take the bar out in a spectacular and potentially dangerous fashion."

Quote:
Midwinter, have you ever happened across the short story "Essay #3: Leda and the Swan"? I think it's in one of those "Best New American Voices" type anthologies.

It takes the form of a high school student trying and failing to respond to an essay question about the Yeats poem (and yet disconcertingly succeeding as she recapitulates the subject piece while recounting her seduction by her sisters boyfriend).

The author provides her with a hilariously syntactically challenged style that I think you would really enjoy. [/B]

Heh. Must have been in Best American Essays, I'll bet. I'll dig around for it.
post #51 of 70
The wife got tickled at this thread and reminded me that one of our favorite restaurants here in town has, on its menu, a reference to how their foodstuffs will have some effect on "your ravishing appetite."

Now, I don't know about you, but I don't want my appetite to be ravished or to ravish anyone in the vicinity. Sometimes it's ravenous, but never, ever ravishing or ravished.
post #52 of 70
Heh.

Well, as long as this is turning into the "grammatical oddities" thread, how about the apparent notion among small business people that quotation marks mean something like italics or boldface?

Maybe it's a Bay Area "English is not my first language" thing but everywhere you turn are hand lettered signs in the windows of groceries and such that say vaguely sinister things like:

"Fresh" fish now on sale
We "guarantee" our service
"Best Quality" meats
"Big" sale

All of which imply a sort of ironic bitterness, surely not the intent.

I think these might be a sort of degenerate offspring of the orphaned slogan style of unattributed "quote":

"Extra savings all the time"
"Buy two get one free"
"Why go anywhere else?"

All of which seem to trade on the notion that if "somebody said that" the phrase has more weight than a mere naked assertion. These are either aping the style of bigger companies (where the slogan actually quotes the ubiquitous ad campaign, as in "We never stop working for you"), or (in a somewhat related strategy), the quotation marks are intended to suggest that the phrases have been selected from some larger, ongoing conversation, lending a certain social civility to the proceedings and hopefully belying any suspicion that you are in fact dealing with Just Some Guy Who Can Claim Whatever the Fuck He Wants.

Which leads to and slightly overlaps the "review" style unattributed quote, which at least makes sense in a sort of underhanded way:

"Best Hamburgers for 10 Years Running",

a sentiment apparently held by the owner, and the unmatched for subtle cunning "embedded review style unattributed quote":

Huge values! "Best selection in Northern California"! Take a look!

boldly citing the opinion of the copy editor.

Hmmm, that seems to be a lot more opinion on the subject than I knew I had.

Sorry. Carry on.
post #53 of 70
What bothers me is the misuse of farther and further.

I have seen KFC and Hyundai misuse these words in nationally-televised ads recently and it drives me bonkers that nobody caught it.

Hyundai ad: "When you're going the extra mile, why not go even further?" Listen for it on their recent ad about the new 2006 Sonata.

AAAAHHHHH!!!!
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #54 of 70
I think you mean "When your going a extra mile with myself"
post #55 of 70
*sigh*

I guess it's understandable that our colonial brethren cannot grasp the correct usage of "its" vs. "it's" when they can't even spell 'COLOUR' !! \
post #56 of 70
Quote:
Originally posted by Glublick
they can't even spell 'COLOUR' !! \

Now that's just trying to cheat at Scrabble.
post #57 of 70
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut

I have seen KFC and Hyundai misuse these words in nationally-televised ads recently and it drives me bonkers that nobody caught it.

Hyundai ad: "When you're going the extra mile, why not go even further?" Listen for it on their recent ad about the new 2006 Sonata.

AAAAHHHHH!!!!

What's the difference? I didn't know there was one :P
post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally posted by gregmightdothat
What's the difference? I didn't know there was one :P

One is depth/degree. One is distance.
post #59 of 70
Quote:

How about "For all intensive purposes..." instead of
"For all intents and purposes..."
post #60 of 70
Quote:
Originally posted by GregAlexander
How about "For all intensive purposes..." instead of
"For all intents and purposes..."

My students usually take that expression for granite.
post #61 of 70
Quote:

Back when I was a student teacher, teaching ninth-grade (which I still do BTW), a student started off a short story with:

"Once a pony time..."

I still giggle every time I think of that one.
post #62 of 70
All I know that if you insist to your boss that "it's" is an acceptable (as in ok to use today) possessive, then you'll soon be out of a job.

The harder you argue that it's okay, the more of an idiot you appear to be.
post #63 of 70
Quote:

Whatever works. After all, it's a doggy dog world......
post #64 of 70
Though this thread has moved off it's original topic, it goes on irregardless.

*cringe*
post #65 of 70
Quote:
Though this thread has moved off it's original topic, it goes on irregardless.

*cringe*

I think you mean "it's moved off its original topic".
Just to keep in the spirit of "its"

hehe
post #66 of 70
I think Cosmo took it for granite that people whom readed that would know he was joking.
post #67 of 70
Quote:
I think Cosmo took it for granite that people whom readed that would know he was joking.

My apologies then to Cosmo.... I haven't been giving this thread, and who said what, and who knew where it's and its should go and not go, the full attention it deserves ;-)
post #68 of 70
Their you guys go again, not letting a thread die. They're are a lot of people who want to see real content in the forum, and there entitled to not have to sift thru alot of junk threads do to so.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #69 of 70
FOR SELL: ONE THREAD.
post #70 of 70
Your all rediculous.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Its versus It's