or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › going to greece

going to greece

post #1 of 10
the wife and i are going to greece in a few weeks and wanted some suggestion on what to see and do while we're there. most of the time will be spent on the isle of santorini, with roughly 2 1/2 days in athens. i'm sure we'll spend a day just running around athens looking at all the ruins and historical shit, which i'm absolutely looking forward to. any other ideas are welcome. thanks.
post #2 of 10
Be sure to let the "Grecians" know President Bush says howdy...

Share some pics with us when you return. Have fun!
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
post #3 of 10
Just got back from there myself.

Make sure to hit Plaka in Athens. Ton's of good food to be had there. It's located right next to the Parthanon.

It's a whole day trip from Athens but Meteora is a must see. Huge cliffs rising out of the ground with monasteries perched on top. Extremely breathtaking.

Santorini itself.... You're a lucky man. You'll never want to come back once you've seen this island.

Just make sure to hit a fourno(bakery) while your there. Nice and early in the morning and get fresh baked Laganas.

Have a blast!
post #4 of 10
My only advice is that while on Santorini, wear as little as possible.

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by AlmightyMac
Just got back from there myself.

Make sure to hit Plaka in Athens. Ton's of good food to be had there. It's located right next to the Parthanon.

It's a whole day trip from Athens but Meteora is a must see. Huge cliffs rising out of the ground with monasteries perched on top. Extremely breathtaking.

Santorini itself.... You're a lucky man. You'll never want to come back once you've seen this island.

Just make sure to hit a fourno(bakery) while your there. Nice and early in the morning and get fresh baked Laganas.

Have a blast!

thanks for the suggestions almightymac. the hotel we are staying at in athens, i'm told, is located right on the edge of the plaka. hopefully we should have ample opportunities to explore what it has to offer.

here are some links to the places we'll be staying at while in greece:

athens
www.electrahotels.gr

santorini
www.astra.gr
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
My only advice is that while on Santorini, wear as little as possible.

good people of santorini, behold my white ass.
post #7 of 10
Also the new tram system is great. If your hotel is near plaka you should be right near the tomb of the unkown soldier. There is a tram station right there that can take you outside Athens right down to the beach. I think it costs .60 lepta (cents) to ride.

Just hop on and it's about 30-40 minutes to a great boardwalk right next to the water. And a few stops more and you'll be in Glyfada (pronounced gleefatha) there's some great night-life there as well as some trendy shopping if you're into that.

Oh and in case the hotel doesnt have access, there's a couple of internet cafe's along the plaka as well. You know... in case you need to check the forums
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by running with scissors
good people of santorini, behold my white ass.

You'll be surprised at how quickly you tan. Anyway, sunbathing nude at least avoids those ridiculous tan lines that leave your thighs lily white and your calves red or tan. Board shorts are the stupidest idea ever. Not useful for tanning. Not useful for swimming. Shows a lack of confidence. Just dumb. That's why those in the know call them "dork shorts".
post #9 of 10
Small favour: if you see any strange symbols on lids or covers could you take some photos for me ? I am a collector of the strange and uncommon and there is an ongoing mystery of this type in Athens and surrounding areas.

You might also like to visit Pendeli Cave which is cool even if you aren't into all the weird stuff rumoured to go on there (as I supsect you aren't !).

Have a good trip. Don't get a burned bum.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
"dork shorts".

This just made my week. Given that I live in a subtropical region, and on the beach, I will use that phrase ALL THE TIME.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › going to greece