or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Milton Friedman: Legalize It!

Milton Friedman: Legalize It! - Page 5

post #161 of 368
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
Perhaps your right lets just throw those bastards in jail because they deserve it right? its their bodies not yours or the govt. Being Fat is proven much more dangerous so lets start throwing the fatso's in jail along with some others. Govt has no business trying to legislate behavior. I remember them telling me all kinds of things in school about weed. From freaking you out to making you a killer to that if you smoked weed your tits would grow. All govt lies. The govt has done many studies on weed and the fact is there is no reason to be throwing people in jail over it but they want everyone to think weed is like cocaine or heroine and its not. Stop the lies. Again Alcohol is way way more dangerous.

Yes there is. Smoking, growing and selling pot, is illegal. Period. Eating french fries is not. Donuts are legal. Cigarettes are legal to those over 18. Alcohol is to those over 21. They draw the line at pot. They have to draw a line somewhere.

You undertake illegal activities you get fined or go to jail or both. What are you missing. Your personal feeling have nothing to do with it. You are either acting legally or you're not.

So some teachers lied to you, so what. You have a brain - use it. Pot is currently illegal. Saying it's safe does not make it so.

Are you guys smoking right now? Well that would explain it...
post #162 of 368
As a parent if my child every decides to experiment or whatever i dont want them thrown in jail for what amounts to nothing. Sure id rather them not smoke or drink but its their life not mine. Alcohol kills thousands as does tobaco but do you hear of people being killed by weed? and they have been smoking the stuff for centuries. Anyways by making it legal we can do a much better job then we can by making up lies & spin,throwing people in jail and growing the police state. The marijuana laws are bullshit just as our immigration laws are. Its past time to reform them.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #163 of 368
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
Cigarette smokers smoke more cigarettes than marihuana smokers smoke joints.

From personal experience, 90% of the people I know who smoke ganja don't smoke cigarettes. On the other hand, most people I know who drink socially once or twice per week do smoke cigarettes.

Yes because drinking is naturally evolves into to rolling something up in paper and lighting and breathing in the smoke.

I see your logic now.
post #164 of 368
Quote:
They have to draw a line somewhere.

No you don't. Why is it the government's business what people do to their own bodies?

The law against marajuana is based on bad information. It is an arbitrary law that makes no sense, because other drugs that are worse for you are legal.

We are talking about why we should make marajuana legal - your saying "its illegal because its illegal, deal with it" does not add anything to the conversation.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #165 of 368
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
Yes there is. Smoking, growing and selling pot, is illegal. Period. Eating french fries is not. Donuts are legal. Cigarettes are legal to those over 18. Alcohol is to those over 21. They draw the line at pot. They have to draw a line somewhere.

You undertake illegal activities you get fined or go to jail or both. What are you missing. Your personal feeling have nothing to do with it. You are either acting legally or you're not.

So some teachers lied to you, so what. You have a brain - use it. Pot is currently illegal. Saying it's safe does not make it so.

Are you guys smoking right now? Well that would explain it...

You need to do a little research and find out why it was made illegal and you will find a pocketful of lies and spin that had no basis in reality just as many of our laws. Just because some idiots pass some stupid law means little to me. I bet you didnt know that going down on your wife or her on you is illegal did you? Laws that have little to do with the real world. In fact most have something to do with some special interest somewhere.
post #166 of 368
When the solitary action itself does not affect anyone else then there is no reason for it to be illegal.

This is why we make driving while under the influence of a drug illegal and not, in the case of alcohol, the drug use itself.

There are classes of drugs that make you dangerous to others.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #167 of 368
Quote:
You need to do a little research and find out why it was made illegal and you will find a pocketful of lies and spin that had no basis in reality just as many of our laws. Just because some idiots pass some stupid law means little to me. I bet you didnt know that going down on your wife or her on you is illegal did you? Laws that have little to do with the real world.

Well being a law abiding person, I will stop going down.

The problem I see with this whole argument for legalization, is that the majority of people that are advocating for it are illegal users. You are basically saying to everyone else, "it should be legal because I use it and I'm fine" It's a totally selfish argument.

First they complained that the government was hurting sick people by not allowing medical MJ. Well California gave in and now they have scores of people who are "sick" and an entire underground pot smoking community that needs policing. It seems there is an epidemic of glaucoma there these days.
post #168 of 368
Quote:
The problem I see with this whole argument for legalization, is that the majority of people that are advocating for it are illegal users. You are basically saying to everyone else, "it should be legal because I use it and I'm fine" It's a totally selfish argument.

First of all - I am an advocate and not a user. Most advocates that I know of are not users, because if the users were able to advocate for themselves it would already be legal. I don't know why the 10% of the population that smokes dope does not effectively push for legalisation.

Second - even if we were users, it is not selfish to advocate for your own rights.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #169 of 368
Quote:
Yes because drinking is naturally evolves into to rolling something up in paper and lighting and breathing in the smoke.

Went way over your head that one didn't it? I'll dumb it down for you. People who drink tend to smoke cigarettes more than people who smoke pot. Also, people actually buy "pre-rolled" cigarettes where I live. They come in little packs with 20 of them inside.
Quote:
I see your logic now.

I'd love to be able to see yours, but besides the minimal value of your arguments, your shitty spelling and grammar makes it even more difficult. e.g/ "because drinking is naturally evolves into to rolling".

I'm out of this thread before it gets "Napleized". It just embarrasses everyone.
post #170 of 368
Quote:
Well being a law abiding person, I will stop going down.

First they complained that the government was hurting sick people by not allowing medical MJ. Well California gave in and now they have scores of people who are "sick" and an entire underground pot smoking community that needs policing. It seems there is an epidemic of glaucoma there these days.

You better look into that disease their are scores of people with glaucoma including my sister but she's in florida. There shouldnt be any reason not to let these people get it if it can help them. When you get down to basics we have a lot of laws on the books that have nothing to do with fact ,reality or todays times. Many laws are passed to help a special interest or for a political interest. MJ laws are no different then the immigration laws except our govt has decided to ignore its own laws on that issue.
post #171 of 368
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Most advocates that I know of are not users, because if the users were able to advocate for themselves it would already be legal.

I really don´t think it helps your argument You are a funny guy today.

I used hash regularly until my mid twenties. Most of my friends still do. And they are college student and are doing fine (No jokes there Naples ) But I have also worked in a shelter in the drug scene here in Copenhagen and have seen how bright kids just have come to a full stop because of it. If you drink 30 beers every day it will effect your ability to function among others greatly no matter who you are. If you are doing coke or other hard drugs it will be the same. But hash will affect different people differently so everybody saying "I did fine" or "My friends are doing fine so its okay" just don´t know the impact it has on other groups. You only see those who can manage it because thats the ones who are more likely to be around you.

I don´t think it should be legalized. But tolerated to a certain degree, thats okay.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #172 of 368
Anders, that's much like alcohol - some people have a few drinks and a good time, some people end up going overboard and maybe blacking out, some people get sick, crash their cars, and/or join AA.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #173 of 368
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker
Anders, that's much like alcohol - some people have a few drinks and a good time, some people end up going overboard and maybe blacking out, some people get sick, crash their cars, and/or join AA.

No its not like alcohol. The effect of hash doesn´t depend on how much you use like with alcohol.
post #174 of 368
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
No its not like alcohol. The effect of hash doesn´t depend on how much you use like with alcohol.

Yeah, yeah it does. I haven't used pot, but pure biochemical reasoning tells me that you are wrong here.
post #175 of 368
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
Yeah, yeah it does. I haven't used pot, but pure biochemical reasoning tells me that you are wrong here.

Fair enough You´ll still not convince me though. I´ll trust what I have concluded through my work.
post #176 of 368
Quote:
Actually, it's not. RAND did a big study a couple of years ago on it

quote:Instead, the associations can result from known differences in the ages at which youths have opportunities to use marijuana and hard drugs, and known variations in individuals' willingness to try any drugs, researchers found...

"The people who are predisposed to use drugs and have the opportunity to use drugs are more likely than others to use both marijuana and harder drugs," Morral said. "Marijuana typically comes first because it is more available. Once we incorporated these facts into our mathematical model of adolescent drug use, we could explain all of the drug use associations that have been cited as evidence of marijuana's gateway effect."

And the fact that it's more widely available is what makes it a gateway drug. People will start off with mariijuana b/c it's so easy to obtain (the gateway) but once their bodies become tolerant to the drug they will start looking to other drugs (crack,heroin) to achieve a higher "high."
The Supreme Being
The Supreme Being
post #177 of 368
That's completely wrong, Protostar.

If marijuana was not illegal, then marijuana users would not do business with people who might also offer them harder drugs. How many of the kids who went on to harder drugs, got them from the same person who they bought their pot from? I'm sure it's at least 95%.

That's one side of the "gateway" effect that is actually caused by marijuana prohibition.

The other side was touched on earlier. Once a kid realizes that the teachers and DARE officers were lying about the effects of pot, then they may figure they are also full of crap when it comes to coke, acid, X, or whatever.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #178 of 368
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker
That's completely wrong, Protostar.

If marijuana was not illegal, then marijuana users would not do business with people who might also offer them harder drugs. How many of the kids who went on to harder drugs, got them from the same person who they bought their pot from? I'm sure it's at least 95%.

That's one side of the "gateway" effect that is actually caused by marijuana prohibition.

The other side was touched on earlier. Once a kid realizes that the teachers and DARE officers were lying about the effects of pot, then they may figure they are also full of crap when it comes to coke, acid, X, or whatever.

So smoking pot is a positive thing, in your opinion I see.

What lies exactly about MJ is being spread by DARE or teachers?

Please be specific with some solid evidence or stop being dishonest.
post #179 of 368
Quote:
So smoking pot is a positive thing, in your opinion I see.

I never stated or even remotely inferred that smoking pot "is a positive thing".

The ONLY thing that could be inferred from what I've posted is that I think the prohibition on smoking pot is a negative thing. The difference between the two positions is not a nuance - it's huge.

You're not just putting words in my mouth, you're flat-out making shit up. Please stop being dishonest.

Quote:
What lies exactly about MJ is being spread by DARE or teachers?

Well let's see, there was this statement by Aurora, to which you already responded without questioning its validity:
Quote:
I remember them telling me all kinds of things in school about weed. From freaking you out to making you a killer to that if you smoked weed your tits would grow. All govt lies.

Quote:
Please be specific with some solid evidence or stop being dishonest.

What a load of crap. "If you can't back up your opinion with evidence, then you are a liar instead of "then your opinion is wrong"

If I was to say that you consistently practice rational and intelligent discussion in this forum, that would not be an incorrect opinion - it would be a lie.

See the difference?

Now, back to the topic and away from your usual derailment shenanigans:

Do your own Google, or click here and take your pick.

Quote:
The "boomerang effect" which plagues DARE and many other drug education efforts is the predictable result of their use of what Arnold Trebach has called "prophylactic lies"--exaggerations of drug dangers which are intended to scare kids away from drugs.

When they are first told those lies in elementary school, our children believe them and become motivated young drug warriors. But as they grow older, their own experience and that of their friends exposes those lies for what they are. They see that some of the best students in their school smoke marijuana without any sign of brain damage or progression to heroin. They learn that some of their friends use cocaine occasionally without any sign of becoming hopeless addicts.

Having discovered that their teachers and parents are liars where drugs are concerned, they can no longer trust anything they have been taught about drugs. This leaves them with little reason not to try drugs.

Quote:
Our state education system has many effective education programs to teach kids about drugs by using professionals in the field. D.A.R.E. officers only receive two weeks of drug education compared to the four year college degrees professional drug educators receive. D.A.R.E. officers are professionals in the field of law enforcement, not in teaching drug education. Because of this, children are often subject to mistruths, outright falsehoods, and intolerant, ignorant attitudes concerning addiction and drug users. DARE exaggerations and outright lies foster mistrust and cynicism among our students, and set them up for dangerous mistakes in their drug choices.

Parents, the traditional villains of psychological polemics, take a terrific drubbing in the D.A.R.E. program, which has traded the quaint notion of in loco parentis for a more contemporary philosophy of parentis locos. In the animated short In the Land of Decisions and Choices, which is routinely shown in D.A.R.E. classrooms, the parental role model is represented exactly twice: by a semisenile grandfather sitting around in his bathrobe spouting inanities through a haze of cigarette smoke, and by an obese drunken father, passed out on a sofa, a beer can perched on his belly, a lit joint dangling from his gaping mouth. In the film, which follows four youngsters as they wander through an eerie world of hag-faced smokers, drooling drunks, and babbling potheads, the only trustworthy figure in the landscape is the wily "D.A.R.E. dog." And though the program counsels pacific methods of conflict resolution, the druggies in the D.A.R.E. video are ultimately destroyed in an orgy of righteous violence.

Quote:
When I was in 5th and 6th grade I recived the dare program stuff for 2 weeks. At this time I had no idea if I were ever to try drugs, the thought never even passed my mind. During those 2 weeks I was told blatant lies about drug use and drugs in general.. I was told that pot (just smoking pot) has killed millions of people, which is so untrue it's not even funny.. Not one
person on this planet has died from pot smoke alone. They should have
re-worded that one, people do die from smoking pot, but not from the smoke, but from doing somthing stupid while under the influence. Another lie I was told is that your brain will fall out if you do lsd.. It was worded
exactly this way:

"Every LSD user knows that it may not be this trip or the next, but one time the lsd user will have the 'fatal' trip causing the users head to split open"

As a 10 year old boy, not knowing anything about drugs, you are going to think that this 'may' possibly be true. I picked up on it pretty quickly and at the end of the 2 weeks I saw what a ball of shit dare was. I dont even know why drug programs exist in schools. They do nothing what-so-ever to stop drug use. Out of all my friends, I have 2 friends who have never smoked or drank anything. That's like 2 out of 150 people or in my school. I think that the schools should still teach the true dangers of drugs, and the effects on your body (what each drug does, and if it's mentally addicting/physically addicting).
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #180 of 368
I've changed my mind. We must keep drugs illegal. Crack down hard. Double the penalties... no, triple them!

Only the ravages of severe drug use can explain the Apple/Intel insanity spreading like a mass hallucination wildfire throughout the news media this weekend.

The only thing left to see tomorrow at WWDC is if it's the reporters who were doing the heavy drugs, Steve Jobs, or both. \
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #181 of 368
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
I've changed my mind. We must keep drugs illegal. Crack down hard. Double the penalties... no, triple them!

Only the ravages of severe drug use can explain the Apple/Intel insanity spreading like a mass hallucination wildfire throughout the news media this weekend.

The only thing left to see tomorrow at WWDC is if it's the reporters who were doing the heavy drugs, Steve Jobs, or both. \

Mainlining uncut RDF is never healthy.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #182 of 368
Shit, I thought I was the only one.

My RDF habit used to be fine. Just a few trips to the apple.com man, and that long wait for his runner (FedEx, he called himself). But it didn't stop there.

Soon it was iBooks. Then PowerBooks. Then G3s, G4s, G5's ... Shit, I even got two iPods (3 if you count presents) and iSight. I'm far gone. Damn Steve and his RDF.

If it hadn't been nearly 15 years of almost constant spliff usgae during which I became a multi-millionaire, how would I have afforded the RDF? Doesn't bare thinking about *shudder*.
meh
meh
post #183 of 368
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Fair enough You´ll still not convince me though. I´ll trust what I have concluded through my work.

I ran experiments on myself as a teenager 8). You get different effects depending on how much you use - it is just hard to gauge because the quality control is so bad in pot production (The amount of THC in a bag of pot varies widely).

At the extreme end of things, you get (tactile, not visual) hallucinations that your lungs are exposed to the air, your heart is beating 200+ times per minute, and it feels like the ocean is washing back and forth between your brain and your toes. But it takes quite a bit to get to this point, and I don't care to get there again.

It is also hard to gauge because it stays in your system for quite a long time, so if you get really stoned two days in a row, you will get stoned more easily on day 2.

Also - regarding drug users not advocating for themselves, I think that society has shamed them enough (via false information) that it is embarassment that stops them. Just like legalising prostitution would be hard even though 30% of married men see prostitutes.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #184 of 368
The whole problem is that Govt has been putting weed in the same group as Cocaine,Heroine etc and it shouldnt have ever been classified along with those.Tobacco/Acohol have killed hundreds of thousands so why is it weed is illegal and these are not? Special Interest and Politics. Funny thing is this law if memory serves me was made up to get illegal mexicans decades ago who were weed smokers coming into the states. Now years later we still have the mexicans coming in which they do nothing about but the poor weed laws that were made to go after these guys are still on the books. Plus the Feds spun MJ into the same laws that had to do with the Hard Drugs. So here we are trying to enforce some stupid laws that had nothing to do with MJ but had everything to do with a Govt bent on its own political agenda. Plus add the lobbiest from RJ Reynolds and AnheuserBush and all their campaign money to the crooks in washington to see things their way. Politics.......................................... .......
(edit) My final point is that by making it legal we can do a better job, we can keep it out of kids hands,we can educate ,we can get tax money from it and we can eliminate the dealers,save lots of money, etc. How many folks you know grow their own Tobaco or brew their own Beer? Our nations MJ laws are chasing it from the Rear end instead of up front. Because they want to build those prisons and the police state. Its a big business and the problem is Big business running our Govt instead of the people.
post #185 of 368
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
I ran experiments on myself as a teenager 8). You get different effects depending on how much you use - it is just hard to gauge because the quality control is so bad in pot production (The amount of THC in a bag of pot varies widely).

At the extreme end of things, you get (tactile, not visual) hallucinations that your lungs are exposed to the air, your heart is beating 200+ times per minute, and it feels like the ocean is washing back and forth between your brain and your toes. But it takes quite a bit to get to this point, and I don't care to get there again.

It is also hard to gauge because it stays in your system for quite a long time, so if you get really stoned two days in a row, you will get stoned more easily on day 2.

Also - regarding drug users not advocating for themselves, I think that society has shamed them enough (via false information) that it is embarassment that stops them. Just like legalising prostitution would be hard even though 30% of married men see prostitutes.

30% of married men see prostitutes?

Are you getting all your stats from the NBDC (Nevada Brothel Development Commission) again?

post #186 of 368
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050606/D8AI68D00.html

OUCH,

Court Rules Against Pot for Sick People

WASHINGTON (AP) - Federal authorities may prosecute sick people whose doctors prescribe marijuana to ease pain, the Supreme Court ruled Monday, concluding that state laws don't protect users from a federal ban on the drug.
post #187 of 368
Quote:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050606/D8AI68D00.html

OUCH,

Court Rules Against Pot for Sick People

WASHINGTON (AP) - Federal authorities may prosecute sick people whose doctors prescribe marijuana to ease pain, the Supreme Court ruled Monday, concluding that state laws don't protect users from a federal ban on the drug.

The court also said Congress should change the Marijuana laws. Remember the Supreme Court can only make a decision based on current law. Its Clear we need new laws. Due to the politics involved Congress would never do this so they can pretend to be doing something on the failed drug war and so the Drug Dealers are kept in business. .........Taking up space in our jails when we could have plenty of room for murderers,rapist,child molesters etc...
post #188 of 368
I don't understand this decision at all. This was neither interstate (it was all in one state) nor commerce (the pot wasn't sold). On these matters, state law should trump federal law. If someone's individual liberties were being violated, it would be different. But here was a case where a state wanted to expand individual liberties, and reduce government power, but Bush said no. This is the true meaning of modern conservatism.
post #189 of 368
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
I don't understand this decision at all. This was neither interstate (it was all in one state) nor commerce (the pot wasn't sold). On these matters, state law should trump federal law. If someone's individual liberties were being violated, it would be different. But here was a case where a state wanted to expand individual liberties, and reduce government power, but Bush said no. This is the true meaning of modern conservatism.

This is hardly about conservatism. There are more liberal judges there than conservative, looks like common sense won out.
post #190 of 368
Quote:
This is hardly about conservatism. There are more liberal judges there than conservative, looks like common sense won out.

Setting aside the fact that 7 of 9 Supreme Court justices were appointed by Republicans, this was a case brought by the supposedly conservative Bush administration. This was the decision that they wanted - for the federal government to be able to override a state decision to grant more individual liberties. This is exactly what modern conservatism is all about - reducing individual liberties in order to enforce their moral views.
post #191 of 368
Quote:
Setting aside the fact that 7 of 9 Supreme Court justices were appointed by Republicans, this was a case brought by the supposedly conservative Bush administration. This was the decision that they wanted - for the federal government to be able to override a state decision to grant more individual liberties. This is exactly what modern conservatism is all about - reducing individual liberties in order to enforce their moral views.

"The case was brought by two California women, Angel McClary Raich and Diane Monson."

More distortions. Is anything that you "progressives" claim based on facts?
post #192 of 368
---
post #193 of 368
Quote:
"The case was brought by two California women, Angel McClary Raich and Diane Monson."

from the article you posted:
Quote:
The closely watched case was an appeal by the Bush administration in a case involving two seriously ill California women who use marijuana.

pathetic.
post #194 of 368
Quote:

Bingo! But what NaplesX is missing is the court has to rule on current law not on how they feel. Bad Laws made years ago is what they had to base their decision on. Its why the court said the laws need work because they know they are Bullshit but never the less Law is Law.
MSNBC had a Poll going today on the weed issue and almost 90% of folks were for medical marijuana. Why shouldnt it be used to help folks? Because of some bad laws passed 70 years ago.
post #195 of 368
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
pathetic.

You're right, it truly is.. When someone says "this was a case brought the...Bush administration", this means something specific to people like myself that read and comprehend English. This claim is a lie.

http://www.angeljustice.org/article....t=type&type=13

This is the timeline of the case minus the current decision.

This case was filed by Angel McClary Raich. Legal procedures to get the supreme court review a case decided upon by an appellate court is called:

Petition for a Writ of Certiorari: A document filed to request that the United States Supreme Court review a decision made by a state supreme court or a U.S. Court of Appeals.

This in no way makes the case "brought" by John Ashcroft (Attorney General of the United States), even though the title of the case may have changed. These are normal procedures. It also does not mean this is a partisan case, since it was John Ashcroft's job to enforce US laws.

So are you saying by your pithy yet snide remark that you have fallen for the left spin also?
post #196 of 368
bad post again... damn it
post #197 of 368
Quote:
bad post again... damn it

Is that a moment of clarity . . .

just look back at almost any of your posts . . . .
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #198 of 368
Quote:

Yes, it was the Bush administration against those two women. The case is Gonzales v. Raich. It was the Bush administration who arrested the women, going against the wishes of the local California police who tried to stop the DEA agents. The women appealed, won, and the Bush administration took them to the Supreme Court. Now which fact is incorrect?
post #199 of 368
Quote:
You're right, it truly is.. When someone says "this was a case brought the...Bush administration", this means something specific to people like myself that read and comprehend English. This claim is a lie.

A lie? The Bush admin decided to send the feds to take these women's legal (according to state law) pot, and when the women tried to defend themselves in court, the Bush admin decided to pursue it to the Supreme Court rather than drop it. If you don't like the way I phrased it, how would you prefer it - "the Bush admin initiated the sequence of events?" The administration had to make a conscious decision to have a confrontation between federal and state law. They didn't have to do that.
post #200 of 368
Quote:
Bingo! But what NaplesX is missing is the court has to rule on current law not on how they feel. Bad Laws made years ago is what they had to base their decision on. Its why the court said the laws need work because they know they are Bullshit but never the less Law is Law.
MSNBC had a Poll going today on the weed issue and almost 90% of folks were for medical marijuana. Why shouldnt it be used to help folks? Because of some bad laws passed 70 years ago.

The court ruled on the law, sure, but they ruled on the constitutionality of that law. They could have argued and the dissents did argue, that the federal drug law was unconstitutionally applied in this case, because normally the feds don't deal in law enforcement except under specific conditions, and those conditions weren't met here.

I don't see a problem with a DEA enforcing laws against drugs, especially because most drug trafficking is inter-state, but when a state passes a specific law that carves out a medical exception, I don't see why the feds should pull a power play over it.

Hey I've got an idea. Maybe the Bush admin can stop Apple from switching to Intel.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Milton Friedman: Legalize It!