Originally posted by BrunoBruin
I agree, and I speculated elsewhere that this deal may not be about a move from PPC or the G5 but a replacement for the hoary old G4. While everyone is wetting themselves because the G5 has only scaled from 2.0 to 2.7GHz, in that time the G4 has gone from 1.42 to a whopping 1.67! And still on a 167MHz bus! If IBM has been unable to deliver a promised portable chip, and Freescale seems to be MIA, I can see Apple demanding whatever is necessary for them to take PPC to Intel and have them fab a Centrinoesque PPC chip for portables and the mini.
Hoary, I've always liked that word.
The worst thing about the G4 is that performance has not increased much with the speed increase, if at all.
I just sent Powerlogix an e-mail because I'm about to upgrade two of my machines shortly. I think it bears being put in my post for thought. I'm awaiting an answer from then, as I sent it Friday afternoon.
Here it is:
"This is pre-sales, but it's a tech question as well, so I'm not sure if you will want to answer it or pass it on.
There are now two different lines of processors that you have.
The 1.33 7457 and the 1.8 7447a, both duals.
I'm trying to decide what to get for my Digital Audios.
The confusing thing here is the speed vs. cache. I remember the last G4 Macs. One was a dual 1.25 with 1MB cache, and the other was a dual 1.42 with 2MB cache. The 1.42 only beat the 1.25 by about 6%. As I remember that the Mac's bus was limited to about 1.3GHz throughput, the cpu's were starved. The only reason that the 1.42 was faster was because of the larger cache. And that was with a 167MHz bus. The story should be even worse at 133.
So now we have either chips that are slower but with a 2MB cache running at 1.33GHz vs. chips with no L3 cache running at 1.8GHZ.
It doesn't seem to me that there is a performance advantage to the 7447a's, and that they might actually be a detriment.
So, other than a power advantage, what is the true story here?
Which should I use? Do you have tests comparing the two on the same machine, preferably a 133MHZ one?
This isn't easy to decide. I have two machines that I want to upgrade. One now, and one later this summer. I would like some peace of mind about this.
Best regards, Mel Gross."