or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Best English speaking country to live in

Best English speaking country to live in

post #1 of 80
What is the best English speaking country to live in? Every one that I can think of has problems.

USA
---

- I am getting pretty uncomfortable with the religious right, if they get any more powerful I might have to leave.

Canada
------

- pending Cascadia Megathrust will wipe out Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle (every building will be knocked down, too dangerous to live there)

- The rest of Canada (besides the coast of BC) turns my balls blue with cold every winter

Australia
---------

- Business owners can go to jail if one of their employees does something stupid and hurts themselves.

- I hate the stamp duty tax

- Climate change and the ozone hole seems to be wrecking the country (for example, causing greatly increased hail at my father-in-law's farm)

- Greenies have too much power

UK
--

- taxes you to death (Beatles taxman song...)

- cloudy, foggy, cold

- lousy food

- traffic is horrible

New Zealand
-----------

- ???
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #2 of 80
Of course I have to say Denmark because I am a nationalist pig (and because we usually come out ahead in international "what is the greatest place to live" competitions). And remember: Its not the taxes that are bad. Its how effective it is used that matters (and your country STINKS in that area )

But the real reason I just had to post in this thread is this:

Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
- Climate change and the ozone hole seems to be wrecking the country (for example, causing greatly increased hail at my father-in-law's farm)

- Greenies have too much power

"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #3 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Of course I have to say Denmark because I am a nationalist pig (and because we usually come out ahead in international "what is the greatest place to live" competitions). And remember: Its not the taxes that are bad. Its how effective it is used that matters (and your country STINKS in that area )

But the real reason I just had to post in this thread is this:

Because the australian greenies are not in control of the things that are wrecking their climate, they concentrate on little things that irratate people.

Like telling you that you can't chop down the tree in your yard that you planted.

Denmark is an English speaking country?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #4 of 80
Well. Danish might be our first language but english is surely our 1.1nd one

You´ll have a hard time trying to find someone who doesn´t understand english, even among those above 60. I don´t have an ear for languages and my english has deteriorated after I stopped using it in conversation and began to better my german. So most below 30 are much better than me.

Edited for grammer
post #5 of 80
Quote:
- lousy food

Bangers and mash! Bubbles and squeak! Blood wine!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #6 of 80
Quote:
Because the australian greenies are not in control of the things that are wrecking their climate, they concentrate on little things that irratate people.

Like telling you that you can't chop down the tree in your yard that you planted.

Denmark is an English speaking country?

Well you shouldn't have planted it if you didn't want it. No reason to kill the tree because of your poor planning.
post #7 of 80
Have you considered the american territories out there?
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #8 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
Have you considered the american territories out there?

Guam? Puerto Rico? The USA does not have that many territories.

Unless you meant Iraq...
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #9 of 80
Is St. Thomas a territory? That island is amazing.
post #10 of 80
I also find it ironic that you are complaining about the environment, and then complaining that Greenies have too much power. Huh?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #11 of 80
That's his way of being smart.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #12 of 80
If you are that concerned about the religious right, move out of the Bible-belt. (Although Chapel-Hill is a liberal hippie-haven. I should have gone there.) Move out west (not Utah) or to a big city on the East Coast like NYC or Miami.
post #13 of 80
Boulder.
post #14 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by acr4
Move out west (not Utah)

Hey! What's wrong with the Utah Bubble?
post #15 of 80
Gibraltar = tax free, loads of sun, anti-Blair.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #16 of 80
Quote:
Guam? Puerto Rico? The USA does not have that many territories.

Unless you meant Iraq...

Virigin Islands.

American Samoa.

Guam.
post #17 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Hey! What's wrong with the Utah Bubble?

Nothing, just making a bad, religiously-biased joke... Didn't mean anything really. I love Utah and all the surrounding states. It is absolutely beautiful out there.
post #18 of 80
new zealand looks great, but the US pacific nw seems to have everything
post #19 of 80
It sounds like you just need to move out of North Carolina. The nice thing about the US is that it's very large, and there's a lot of variance between the states.

You may want to think about moving to the DC area. It's not quite as asshole-dense as Boston or New York, and there aren't the neo-hippies like the ones in the rest of New England. However, if you're a libertarian you should move to New Hampshire. . . Some of the folks in the party with too much time on their hands are trying to set up a Libertarian district in New Hampshire as the foundation of what they call the "Free State Movement."

Of course, if they pull it off, I'd certainly consider moving to Manchester, but otherwise New England is just too damn cold.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #20 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
It sounds like you just need to move out of North Carolina. The nice thing about the US is that it's very large, and there's a lot of variance between the states.

You may want to think about moving to the DC area. It's not quite as asshole-dense as Boston or New York, and there aren't the neo-hippies like the ones in the rest of New England. However, if you're a libertarian you should move to New Hampshire. . . Some of the folks in the party with too much time on their hands are trying to set up a Libertarian district in New Hampshire as the foundation of what they call the "Free State Movement."

Of course, if they pull it off, I'd certainly consider moving to Manchester, but otherwise New England is just too damn cold.

Sweet! New Hampshire is looking up. This school is 45 minutes SW of Manchester:

http://www.highmowing.org/
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #21 of 80
I've thought about what it would take for me to leave this country. Dunno, the religious right and the globally ambitious neocons are some pretty freaky guys but I think we'd have to slide pretty far down the slipper slope before I would seriously consider going somewhere else. Canada is OK but Quebec is too whiny and as said above, outside of coastal British Columbia the weather is too frosty. Plus I think hockey sucks ass. Or at least the NHL, Olympic hockey is pretty cool.

If so though then definitely Australia or New Zealand. People seem pretty damn cool and the land is beautiful.
post #22 of 80
What about South Africa?

English is the language of Parliament, one of twelve official languages. The weather's great, landscape awe-inspiring.

With the gun crime rate you should feel perfectly at home.

post #23 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
What about South Africa?

English is the language of Parliament, one of twelve official languages. The weather's great, landscape awe-inspiring.

With the gun crime rate you should feel perfectly at home.

I have daughters - and SA is the rape capital of the world. According to the SA girls that my neice met at Columbia - it is close to 100% for white girls unless you get out quick or stay in the armed compound all the time.

So it is a little worse than NC 8)

My wife gets frostbite at 70 degrees F, she just vetoed New Hampshire 8(

One of my friends has been to Gibralter - he says that there is a lot of social tension between rich and poor there. He recomended Coasta Rica instead.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #24 of 80
Quote:
I have daughters - and SA is the rape capital of the world. According to the SA girls that my neice met at Columbia - it is close to 100% for white girls unless you get out quick or stay in the armed compound all the time.

This isn't true, or anything like it. I'm really only pointing this out because I've spent a lot of time in South Africa in the course of my research and I know the place well.

Rape is a terrible problem, but not (God bless Apartheid) a problem for white women. And there are no armed compounds in South Africa, either.

Security's a problem for all but it's not a place where white people live under siege from frightening darkies with guns. This just isn't right. People go shopping in South African cities, go to a restaurant, go to a bar, get a cab home, just like people anywhere.

Not everyone can afford to do this, OK, but they're sorting the place out day by day. I've travelled all over southern Africa. It's a great place.
post #25 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
This isn't true, or anything like it. I'm really only pointing this out because I've spent a lot of time in South Africa in the course of my research and I know the place well.

Rape is a terrible problem, but not (God bless Apartheid) a problem for white women. And there are no armed compounds in South Africa, either.

Security's a problem for all but it's not a place where white people live under siege from frightening darkies with guns. This just isn't right. People go shopping in South African cities, go to a restaurant, go to a bar, get a cab home, just like people anywhere.

Not everyone can afford to do this, OK, but they're sorting the place out day by day. I've travelled all over southern Africa. It's a great place.

Yeah, but if you read JM Coetzee, the boonies are full of gang-raping hillbillies!
post #26 of 80
Quote:
I've travelled all over southern Africa. It's a great place.

That is good to know - my nephew is going to sub-saharan africa as part of the peace corps, and I was kind of worried about it.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #27 of 80
e#s,

I was going to recommend somewhere like Wyoming or Montana which both have a kind of secular Western libertarian spirit, but since your wife gets frostbite at 70º, that's a no go. As is Utah for 8 months out of the year.

Hell, even today. It's 40º right now.
post #28 of 80
Quote:
Hell, even today. It's 40º right now.

Geez. And we thought we had it bad with it being in the 60's until last week.
post #29 of 80
It was 80º two days ago.
post #30 of 80
That's just crazy.

As for south africa, it scares me. I know some people like to draw parallels between the crime there and the crime in the US, but the stuff I hear about south africa doesn't sounds pretty scary.
post #31 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
That's just crazy.

As for south africa, it scares me. I know some people like to draw parallels between the crime there and the crime in the US, but the stuff I hear about south africa doesn't sounds pretty scary.

You can't really go by what you hear, I guess. I went to Israel 5 years ago, and it was a lot safer than Philadelphia or Boston (I was mugged in Boston).

At least 5 years ago, Israel's reputation did not match reality on the ground.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #32 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
That's just crazy.

Update: it's snowing.
post #33 of 80
Where in Utah do you live?
post #34 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath
What part of Utah you livin in?

Just a little north of Salt Lake City. I'm told this isn't common, but that it isn't exactly rare, either.
post #35 of 80
Has anyone here lived in both Australia and New Zealand? I know NSW and Queensland fairly well, so I would be interested in hearing what the differences are between the two countries.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #36 of 80
You seem to have traveled a good bit. Military?
post #37 of 80
Quote:
You seem to have traveled a good bit. Military?

I married an Australian woman, and we go there to visit her parents every couple years. Israel was a business trip - I work for Nortel as a software designer.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #38 of 80
Ah somewhere around Bountiful or thereabouts or to Ogden? Never lived in SLC but snow isn't that surprising in June if you are at mid elevations, 7000+ even in desert areas.

Utah is a place I wouldn't mind living in some ways. Fairly safe area and decent housing prices. The mix of the Southern Utah red rocks and the High Uintas, Lone/Twin/Olympus Peaks areas etc are all nice.

The LDS aren't so bad in some ways either although if I had to interact with them professionally or raise a family in that environment then they might turn into a pretty big turnoff.
post #39 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath
Ah somewhere around Bountiful or thereabouts or to Ogden? Never lived in SLC but snow isn't that surprising in June if you are at mid elevations, 7000+ even in desert areas.

Ogden, yes. But we're not quite that high up. Only about 3900 feet at my house. And man, it's really snowing hard and I have to drive to SLC in a couple of hours.

Quote:
Utah is a place I wouldn't mind living in some ways. Fairly safe area and decent housing prices. The mix of the Southern Utah red rocks and the High Uintas, Lone/Twin/Olympus Peaks areas etc are all nice.

Well, I moved here 2 years ago after 8 years in Oklahoma and growing up in Mississippi, and this is the most beautiful place on earth. I still spend lots of time with my jaw on the floor. The mountains are amazing. The climate is perfect (only really hot in August), with a long spring and long-ish winter. And housing prices around here are GREAT because about 10 years ago, the banks were loaning 125%, and so all these 22 year old LDS kids were getting jobs at Iomega, getting married, squeezing out 9 kids, losing their jobs, and finding themselves in tremendous debt. So they're selling. We got our house for $45K LESS than what the sellers originally asked.

Quote:
The LDS aren't so bad in some ways either although if I had to interact with them professionally or raise a family in that environment then they might turn into a pretty big turnoff.

We have many LDS friends (mostly through work at the University), and the only problems we have out of them is that they're so wholesome and nice you want to puke. My next door neighbors are the friggin' Brady Bunch, complete with tow-headed kids having potato sack races in the backyard.

Ogden and SLC are weird, though. Bastions of liberalism, since the more strictly conservative LDS folks are moving to the burbs to get away from all of us. Maybe it's my street (which is full of heathens), but we've never had a missionary at our door, nor have we had anyone evangelize to us. However, our friends with kids get frustrated because they feel like their kids get treated "differently" in school. And I can't imagine the difficulties of growing up here and NOT being LDS.
post #40 of 80
Quote:
We have many LDS friends (mostly through work at the University), and the only problems we have out of them is that they're so wholesome and nice you want to puke. My next door neighbors are the friggin' Brady Bunch, complete with tow-headed kids having potato sack races in the backyard.

That's been my experience with them as well.
Quote:
And I can't imagine the difficulties of growing up here and NOT being LDS.

Aside from this point you've made a pretty good pitch for the area.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Best English speaking country to live in