or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Best English speaking country to live in
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best English speaking country to live in - Page 2

post #41 of 80
Quote:
Well, I moved here 2 years ago after 8 years in Oklahoma and growing up in Mississippi, and this is the most beautiful place on earth. I still spend lots of time with my jaw on the floor. The mountains are amazing.

Utah's mountains are beautiful. I'm partial to Timpanogo(/a)s. But IMMHO the mtns of the Sierra Nevada, the Canadian Rockies, the North Cascades and the Cascade Volcanoes are among the more beautiful places on Earth. Although if you are from Mississippi and Oklahoma then pretty much anywhere is going to seem like Xanadu in comparison. ALthough I think one thing that really makes Utah attractive is the wild moonscapes of Southern Utah which gives some contrast to the Northern Mtns. There are some isolated spots with desert like that and the wildness but no other places in the US has the odd sandstone formations like that. Very cool.

I've spent some time in SLC as my uncle lives there and my dad used to live there and Ive spent some time around Mormons who were friends elsewhere. I don't think that they prostelitize as much there because anyone living there is either Mormon or already pretty well exposed to them.

Buddy up to them though and you'll find that some are on autopilot but there are a fair number, especially women, who are annoyed at lots of LDS stuff.

I think they drive a lot of people in education crazy though because that is such a state function and they meddle a lot. It gets real political. And they try to convert but they also really do exclude others.

Pretty much all of the Intermountain West has excellent housing prices since most of hte land was vacant and useless desert even 50 years ago. Certainly one big advantage over hte Pacific NW.
post #42 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath
I think they drive a lot of people in education crazy though because that is such a state function and they meddle a lot. It gets real political. And they try to convert but they also really do exclude others.

It's really not that bad. The only weird thing is what my students call the "Utah Bubble"they so rarely get out of Utah that they don't understand, for instance, that The Work and the Glory wasn't showing in theaters worldwide.

The only truly strange things are the religious indoctrination centers. They call them "Institutes of Religion." Kids take classes in them in HS and at Uni. There's one DIRECTLY across the street from my office at the university.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #43 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
That is good to know - my nephew is going to sub-saharan africa as part of the peace corps, and I was kind of worried about it.

It's a breeze. He'll have a blast. Rural Africa's safer than South America.

My ex-girlfriend travelled solo around Mozambique, Malawi, Swaziland, South Africa and Botswana, and she even went through Zimbabwe. I've seen people hitch-hiking through Lesotho.

The Peace Corps people always seem to be talking about reggae, showing off their command of local languages and getting drunk in spectacular places.
post #44 of 80
I'm taking my 4 year old to Kenya next year. It will be my first trip to sub-saharan Africa as well.
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Reply
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Reply
post #45 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by New
I'm taking my 4 year old to Kenya next year. It will be my first trip to sub-saharan Africa as well.

Cool.

There's a place called Gedi on the coast, an abandoned city. I went there I was about 14: it rocked.
post #46 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
Cool.

There's a place called Gedi on the coast, an abandoned city. I went there I was about 14: it rocked.

Thanks! :-) I also hear the muslim islands on the coast are very nice.
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Reply
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Reply
post #47 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
My ex-girlfriend travelled solo around Mozambique, Malawi, Swaziland, South Africa and Botswana, and she even went through Zimbabwe.

Wow. I have been toying with the same idea the last couple of months...
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #48 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Wow. I have been toying with the same idea the last couple of months...

Everyone should do this. It's safe, it's cheap, it's beautiful, the people are great.
post #49 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Has anyone here lived in both Australia and New Zealand? I know NSW and Queensland fairly well, so I would be interested in hearing what the differences are between the two countries.

Bump - anyone care to compare Australia and New Zealand? I figured the people have changed in a couple months - maybe I have a chance of new info.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #50 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
And I can't imagine the difficulties of growing up here and NOT being LDS.

I had a colleague who lived in Utah when he was in junior high. The Mormom kids used to beat him up all the time because he wasn't LDS.
Much have I seen and known...yet all experience is an arch, wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades forever and forever when I move. - Tennyson
Reply
Much have I seen and known...yet all experience is an arch, wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades forever and forever when I move. - Tennyson
Reply
post #51 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Bump - anyone care to compare Australia and New Zealand? I figured the people have changed in a couple months - maybe I have a chance of new info.

One thing a New Zealander told me over at AN is that apparently the country has no real industry but sheep, so there isn't much of a commercial tax base. Possibly as a consequence, he said there is a *lot* of pollution. (I guess he meant wrt the water.) It seems so beautiful there. I found his comments quite disheartening. \
Much have I seen and known...yet all experience is an arch, wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades forever and forever when I move. - Tennyson
Reply
Much have I seen and known...yet all experience is an arch, wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades forever and forever when I move. - Tennyson
Reply
post #52 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
What is the best English speaking country to live in? Every one that I can think of has problems.
Australia
---------
- Climate change and the ozone hole seems to be wrecking the country (for example, causing greatly increased hail at my father-in-law's farm)
- Greenies have too much power

First you complain about the results of environmental abuse then you complain about the poeple trying to stop the environmental abuse?
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
post #53 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by AquaMac
First you complain about the results of environmental abuse then you complain about the poeple trying to stop the environmental abuse?

This only makes sense when you realise that the environmental abuse that the greenies are trying to "fix" is not actually the environmental abuse that is "the problem".

Stopping home owners from cutting down a tree here and there is not going to fix the ozone hole (which is caused by arisol spray cans) - the two things have nothing to do with each other.

The australian greenies are stupid annoying busybodies, using environmental problems as an excuse to poke their nose in other peoples business. Kind of like the US greenies, but 10x worse.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #54 of 80
I've come to the conclusion that I have to find a way to escape this planet and start a new country somewhere else. All of the countries here suck. I think it has something to do with people. There just no damned good.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #55 of 80
Right. Enough.
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Business owners can go to jail if one of their employees does something stupid and hurts themselves.

Where the death or serious injury of an employee occurs due to an employer negligently and recklessly failing to maintain workplace safety standards, the employer may be held to be criminally liable. Note, however, this only applies to government organizations and work places covered by applicable State legislation.

Quote:
Climate change and the ozone hole seems to be wrecking the country (for example, causing greatly increased hail at my father-in-law's farm)

There's plenty of things you could have accused us of doing to wreck the country for which we could plead nothing but "Guilty as charged, Your Worship." But you choose the two things for which we bear no more or less responsibilty than anybody else in a first world nation. How very odd. I'll take this to mean you haven't got a friggin' clue what you're talking about.

Quote:
Greenies have too much power


Greenies huh? Gee, we're not being fed our lines by old cocky, pa-in-law, are we? There are 76 seats in the Australian upper house, the Senate. The Australian Greens hold precisely 2 Senate seats and no House of Representative seats.

Other than that there are various environmental lobby groups just as there are lobby groups representing numerous other sectors of society.

Quote:
This only makes sense when you realise that the environmental abuse that the greenies are trying to "fix" is not actually the environmental abuse that is "the problem".

Stopping home owners from cutting down a tree here and there is not going to fix the ozone hole (which is caused by arisol spray cans) - the two things have nothing to do with each other.

The "greenies" don't need to chain themselves to suburban shrubbery because, as far as I know, tree removal in all urban areas is subject to state or local council regulations. I think you might be referring to environmentalists trying to prevent land clearing, that is, widespread tree removal for agricultural purposes. I don't believe there's any dispute within environment, government or scientific circles that the destruction of millions of hectares of land by salination that is occuring as I type, is the result of past land clearing and land management practices.

Quote:
e1618978 is a stupid annoying busybody, using limited knowledge as an excuse to poke his nose ignorantly in other peoples business. Kind of like many Americans, but 10x worse.

You asked for it. Give grover something to do anyway.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
post #56 of 80
Okay. e-number may have a peculiar view on some aspects of environmental issues. But if you read the thread he has defended it three times now.

Could we take the environmental discussion with him elsewhere and offer what help we have got on his question in this thread?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #57 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
There's plenty of things you could have accused us of doing to wreck the country for which we could plead nothing but "Guilty as charged, Your Worship." But you choose the two things for which we bear no more or less responsibilty than anybody else in a first world nation. How very odd. I'll take this to mean you haven't got a friggin' clue what you're talking about.

Sorry - I wasn't blaming Australians for those problems - the whole world is to blame of course. But the effects seem to be more noticable there.

Of course, this year we seem to have an early start on the Hurricane season, maybe it is starting up here as well.

crazychester - I wasn't trying to put Australia down, I think that it is one of the nicest countries to live in (probably #2 after coastal British Columbia). Maybe not the best country to start a business in, but not the worst either. Pretty fantastic country all round - much better than North Carolina.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #58 of 80
...well, I can't see any good reasons why Zealand the New (where the fuck is OLD Zealand)is not the perfect place.
...please - don´t cry...
Reply
...please - don´t cry...
Reply
post #59 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Marius
where the fuck is OLD Zealand

The two Dutch provinces of Holland and Zeelandt were separated by sea, the same as Hollandia Nova (Australia) and Zelandia Nova (New Zealand).
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #60 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
The two Dutch provinces of Holland and Zeelandt were separated by sea, the same as Hollandia Nova (Australia) and Zelandia Nova (New Zealand).

...thanx
...please - don´t cry...
Reply
...please - don´t cry...
Reply
post #61 of 80
I too would like to move away from NC to another state or maybe too another country but am afraid I'll be in the minority when it comes to political views. What does everyone think about Iceland? I like the cold, but is there anything to do there or work?
The Supreme Being
Reply
The Supreme Being
Reply
post #62 of 80
There is a couple of active Icelandics on the macnn boards. Try ask them.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #63 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Protostar
I too would like to move away from NC to another state or maybe too another country but am afraid I'll be in the minority when it comes to political views.

Would it be a problem, to be in the minority?

Quote:
What does everyone think about Iceland? I like the cold, but is there anything to do there or work?

Iceland is a beautiful place. With a population of approx. 300,000 you wont be finding all of the creature comforts that you have come to expect from living in the US. Need a job? You could tap some of that entrepreneurial spirit that you have and become a multi-zillionaire. How? You could learn to fish!

Seriously, though ... if you head over there with a grasp of only the English language you may have difficulty finding employment that, I suspect, would meet your criteria for collar-colour and renumeration.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #64 of 80
Quote:
Audiopollution wrote:
Would it be a problem, to be in the minority?

Not really. I've been in the minority all of my life as far as race, so I guess being in the minority as far a political views is ok since I know my view is right.

Quote:
Iceland is a beautiful place. With a population of approx. 300,000 you wont be finding all of the creature comforts that you have come to expect from living in the US. Need a job? You could tap some of that entrepreneurial spirit that you have and become a multi-zillionaire. How? You could learn to fish!

One question: Do they have broadband and where is it available?

Quote:
Seriously, though ... if you head over there with a grasp of only the English language you may have difficulty finding employment that, I suspect, would meet your criteria for collar-colour and renumeration.

What language should I learn and become proficent in then?
The Supreme Being
Reply
The Supreme Being
Reply
post #65 of 80
Thread Starter 
Protostar - you would love Hong Kong.

good things there: cool escalators that you can ride up and down the hill between apartments and work, ultimate capitalism, ultimate broadband (1 GBPs for $200), great food, nice weather, access to china which is really cheap (my neice and I got hour long armchair massages, where they soaked our feet in green tea, it cost $7 and the apologied for the high prices because it was a tourist area).

not so good: girls get felt up on the subway (if your girlfriend comes with you, she will only want to take cabs), expensive ($100 is typical resturaunt cost for two people), probably a little mild racism against you since you would be a minority.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #66 of 80
You would be required to take an islandic name.
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Reply
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Reply
post #67 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Protostar
Not really. I've been in the minority all of my life as far as race, so I guess being in the minority as far a political views is ok since I know my view is right.



Excellent. Problem #1 solved.

Quote:
One question: Do they have broadband and where is it available?



Broadband is widely available there. (Why, oh why, is broadband so darned important to you?) They also have cell phones and tv. It's not all fish stew and lounging around in the Blue Lagoon.

Quote:
What language should I learn and become proficent in then?

Icelandic.

Some German might help occasionally, too. English is widely spoken, but I think you would be best suited to arrive there with some knowledge of the native language.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #68 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by New
You would be required to take an islandic name.

Don't tell him about the RULES! That'll be enough to scare him into staying in NC.

Oh, yeah ... those rules about names are:

Quote:
The following laws apply when naming children born in Iceland
None of the following laws apply to families where both parents are, or have been foreign citizens. These individuals are free to name their children according to their own customs.

In families where one parent is Icelandic and the other parent is or has been a foreign citizen, certain rules must be followed.
The name of the child must be registered within 6 months from birth.
Either the childs first name or middle name must be on the current list of Icelandic names or parents must be able to prove that the name has historical links to Iceland.

Also, the name must comply with Icelandic grammar rules. Parents who choose one Icelandic name are allowed to select the second name from their respective language or culture. Parents are allowed a maximum of three names, i.e., two first names, and one middle name, or three first names. The child may have a foreign family name.

The following laws apply when becoming an Icelandic citizen:
A foreign-born national who is granted Icelandic citizenship is not required to change his/her name. The same applies to his/her foreign-born children. However, foreign nationals may assume an Icelandic name as their first or middle name if they so desire.

The following applies when an Icelander marries a foreigner:
As was mentioned earlier, foreign nationals do not have to change names when granted Icelandic citizenship. It is however permissible to take the family name of ones spouse; one may either adopt the son or the daughter name. For instance, if Mary Smith marries Jon Jonsson she may be called, Mary Smith, Mary Jonsson or Mary Jonsdottir. If John Smith marries Maria Jonsdottir he may be called John Smith or John Jonsson.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #69 of 80
What on earth (besides the hope of perhaps fooling him/her into leaving the US) makes anyone think Protostar would like Iceland?

It has strong social services, including socialized medicine.

While many taxes have been cut over the past decade or so, effective income tax rates are (at least according to the 2003 figures I could find online) nearly 40%.

Sounds more like Protostar's idea of Hell on Earth to me, albeit maybe not so deeply in the abyss as, say, Sweden.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #70 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
What on earth (besides the hope of perhaps fooling him/her into leaving the US) makes anyone think Protostar would like Iceland?

It has strong social services, including socialized medicine.

While many taxes have been cut over the past decade or so, effective income tax rates are (at least according to the 2003 figures I could find online) nearly 40%.

Sounds more like Protostar's idea of Hell on Earth to me, albeit maybe not so deeply in the abyss as, say, Sweden.

I was hoping he'd figure that out. Rules about names! That's a government with too much time and money. haha
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #71 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
What on earth (besides the hope of perhaps fooling him/her into leaving the US) makes anyone think Protostar would like Iceland?

Would you like me to delete your post?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #72 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Would you like me to delete your post?

Tempting, tempting...
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #73 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Protostar - you would love Hong Kong.

good things there: cool escalators that you can ride up and down the hill between apartments and work, ultimate capitalism, ultimate broadband (1 GBPs for $200), great food, nice weather, access to china which is really cheap (my neice and I got hour long armchair massages, where they soaked our feet in green tea, it cost $7 and the apologied for the high prices because it was a tourist area).

not so good: girls get felt up on the subway (if your girlfriend comes with you, she will only want to take cabs), expensive ($100 is typical resturaunt cost for two people), probably a little mild racism against you since you would be a minority.


Sounds awesome. How hot is it there? One of the main reasons I want to get away from NC is because of the heat (I heard the heat index was 115 on Wednesday on 96 rock). That's why I brought up Iceland. I've also lived here all my life and need to get away. And is that 200 dollars a month for broadband or a year or what?
The Supreme Being
Reply
The Supreme Being
Reply
post #74 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Protostar
Sounds awesome. How hot is it there? One of the main reasons I want to get away from NC is because of the heat (I heard the heat index was 115 on Wednesday on 96 rock). That's why I brought up Iceland. I've also lived here all my life and need to get away. And is that 200 dollars a month for broadband or a year or what?

$200/month - everything is expensive in Hong Kong, but wages are high. Kind of like New York City.

It is warmer in the winter and colder in the summer than NC, and the hurricanes are about the same:

http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/climat/climahk.htm

You may also like Singapore - I have never been there but I heard that it is really nice (as long as you don't break any rules).
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #75 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Carol A
One thing a New Zealander told me over at AN is that apparently the country has no real industry but sheep, so there isn't much of a commercial tax base. Possibly as a consequence, he said there is a *lot* of pollution. (I guess he meant wrt the water.) It seems so beautiful there. I found his comments quite disheartening. \

Please allow me to rebutt!

My comments were that NZ has a high focus on primary industry, with dairy farming and forestry being predominant. Without this sector of industry a large chunk of the economy would disappear. In saying that the majority of people live in the cities, for example nearly 1/4 of the population live in Auckland alone.

As for the pollution aspect my comment that the perception that NZ'ers (notice the "'ers")are clean and green is a bit misleading. Personally I think we could be doing a lot more to help the environment, and people who can not walk two steps to put something in a rubbish bin should be shot. However in saying that because we do not have the population density the country itself is clean, but it always be better, especially because we promote ourselves to be a clean and green nation.

I would liken Auckland to a small Sydney, with a smattering of Melbourne thrown in for good measure. The only thing that is really horrendous is traffic and the escalating house prices pushing rents sky high.

Having lived in Sydney for a year I can honestly say I hated that city. Too money grabbing and dirty for my liking. Two years in Melbourne left me with the impression that maybe I could live long-term in the land of Oz (great city). Auckland, because of its smaller size is still very liveable. However many people like Wellington due to its cosmopolitan feel, though I have never lived there.

Just thought I should dispel the doom and gloom, and correct the misconception (and sorry I did not see it sooner - why is thread in the Pol Lounge?)

The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
post #76 of 80
A friend of mine just moved to Iceland. According to him it is beautiful, fun and has some of the most amazing looking women he's ever seen. He did already know people when he moved there, so he was able to get established relatively easily, and he may have had less immigration crap to deal with since he has an EU passport. I don't know what the deal is for US citizens trying to live / work there.

The climate is not as cold as the name would suggest, due to the North Atlantic Drift. It's probably quite similar to Ireland. You definitely won't have to worry about 115 degree temperatures, but you probably won't freeze in winter either.

The CIA will tell you more...

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/ic.html
post #77 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by kneelbeforezod
A friend of mine just moved to Iceland. According to him it is beautiful, fun and has some of the most amazing looking women he's ever seen. He did already know people when he moved there, so he was able to get established relatively easily, and he may have had less immigration crap to deal with since he has an EU passport. I don't know what the deal is for US citizens trying to live / work there.

The climate is not as cold as the name would suggest, due to the North Atlantic Drift. It's probably quite similar to Ireland. You definitely won't have to worry about 115 degree temperatures, but you probably won't freeze in winter either.

The CIA will tell you more...

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/ic.html

Hmmmmmmm...Broadband internet+beautiful women+cool climate= awesome place to live. I think I'd like it there. I still haven't ruled out Hong Kong yet, I have a thing for Asian chicks (and 1Gbps broadband internet access, WOOOOH!!).
The Supreme Being
Reply
The Supreme Being
Reply
post #78 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Omega
Having lived in Sydney for a year I can honestly say I hated that city. Too money grabbing and dirty for my liking.

Thats funny - I thought that Sydney was remarkably clean for a city of that size, and the people were nicer than normal. I guess that it depends on what you are comparing things to. I am guessing that you will absolutely hate most US cities.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #79 of 80
Did you live there or just visit?

The inner city and the popular tourist areas are nice places to visit, but you do not have to scratch that city very hard or go very far to end up in suburbs that I found downright depressing.
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
post #80 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Omega
Did you live there or just visit?

The inner city and the popular tourist areas are nice places to visit, but you do not have to scratch that city very hard or go very far to end up in suburbs that I found downright depressing.

I have visited a few times, the longest was for a week or 10 days in 1996, but I never made it out of the city center - I will reserve judgement until I see the suburbs.

There was a pilots strike, and I was stranded there with a colicy 9 month old baby who would not sleep, and a nagging wife. The tension was high, as the only inn with a room was in a $400 hotel for the first three days. Needless to say, I was not predisposed to like the place but I still did.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Best English speaking country to live in