or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Immigration out of control-Newsweek

Immigration out of control-Newsweek - Page 5

post #161 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
It says that the numbers do not include short-term illegals, who stay less than one year.

One interesting point. If steve666 is right about the 11M illegals, then at 275k per year the illegal immegrant population is growing at 2.5% (the same as the population growth of the US as a whole/all races, so the percentage of the population that is illegal is not changing).

That means that only 31% of the hispanic population is illegal, and that percentage is shrinking because the 5% growth of the hispanic population far outstrips the 2.5% growth in the illegal hispanic population.

You will have to speak spanish some day soon, but it will not be because of illegal immigration.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #162 of 185
Quote:
http://www.cis.org/articles/1997/IR28/5million.html

increase in the illegal population is 275,000 annually

The INS estimates that 41 percent of the illegal population are overstayers and 59 percent are EWIs.

So this seems to support both of your points. Entry without inspection is a real problem - 181,000 per year (the 275k figure is growth accounting for death, total illegal imegration is 420K total).

It is indeed much less than the 1m legal immigrants - so hardeehar is right there.

Mexicans compose 54% of illegal population, so you are right there.

I don't think that your 11 million figure is right, because it was about 4 million in 1996, according to the web page.

Its hard to get a handle on the figures because some is guestimation.
post #163 of 185
Quote:
One interesting point. If steve666 is right about the 11M illegals, then at 275k per year the illegal immegrant population is growing at 2.5% (the same as the population growth of the US as a whole/all races, so the percentage of the population that is illegal is not changing).

That means that only 31% of the hispanic population is illegal, and that percentage is shrinking because the 5% growth of the hispanic population far outstrips the 2.5% growth in the illegal hispanic population.

You will have to speak spanish some day soon, but it will not be because of illegal immigration.

If so, 31% is still a high number.
As for speaking Spanish, I don't think Bubba in Alabama is going to start learning to speak Spanish anytime soon.
Speaking of which, I also belong to USEnglish, a group trying to get a Constitutional Amendment declaring English to be our official language.8)
http://www.usenglish.org/
post #164 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666

Yes. But as E#s pointed out, that number is shrinking and will no doubt continue to do so. It took decades for the number to get that high. It'll take decades for it to go back down. Of course, one way to discourage illegal immigration is to help out the Mexican economy as much as possible.

Quote:
As for speaking Spanish, I don't think Bubba in Alabama is going to start learning to speak Spanish anytime soon.

Bubba in Alabama (and FWIW my uncle Bubba lives in the cultural Mecca of the South, Mississippi, not that cesspool, Alabama. Yuck!) has little or no reason to learn Spanish. But the Bubbas here in Utah sure took to Spanish just fine. I suspect that if the 35% black population of my hometown were magically transformed into Spanish speaking hispanic folks, my relatives would suck it up and learn a few words and phrases if it meant getting something done.

Quote:
Speaking of which, I also belong to USEnglish, a group trying to get a Constitutional Amendment declaring English to be our official language.8)
http://www.usenglish.org/ [/B]

Now why on Earth does that not surprise me?

You know, I've always found that movement strange, considering most people in America can't speak English worth a damn, anyway.

Cheers
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #165 of 185
Quote:
Samuelson is very well known. I can't make you believe that he is respected, but I really don't know why you would doubt it out of hand.

My goodness. Stop playing dumb. To my count you have claimed Robert Samuelson is a "respected ECONOMIST" or ECONOMIST exactly five times in this thread.
Quote:
Sounds like a mainstream economist is coming around to the seriousness of the situation.

Quote:
He is a mainstream economist pointing out the problems with our current immigration system.

Quote:
To me, to that economist, to the fellow that did the research it sure seems to be that way.

Quote:
My discussion is based on an article that a respected economist wrote and the dissection of it.

Quote:
thats why i thought some of you might find it difficult to jump all over a respected economist writing an article

When I pointed out that he's a financial journalist with a B.A in government- just like his bio in Newsweek says- you dismissively said:" And Newsweek is now hiring hacks?"

So by your own definition if this guy isn't the "respected ECONOMIST" you've been claiming that he is, then he's a hack. Sweet irony.

Edit: Still waiting for the title of that book.
post #166 of 185
Glisch: are you an American? If you're not then GET THE HELL OFFA MAH LAWN!!!

post #167 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
My goodness. Stop playing dumb. To my count you have claimed Robert Samuelson is a "respected ECONOMIST" or ECONOMIST exactly five times in this thread. When I pointed out that he's a financial journalist with a B.A in government- just like his bio in Newsweek says- you dismissively said:" And Newsweek is now hiring hacks?"

So by your own definition if this guy isn't the "respected ECONOMIST" you've been claiming that he is, then he's a hack. Sweet irony.

Edit: Still waiting for the title of that book.

You know what? I was wrong. Wrong Samuelson, because I can't find a listing of the eco book I am thinking of.
When I first saw his name in Newsweek, I thought it was the same guy, especially since he was writing about economics. Bizarre.

Well, how about he is a respected economic researcher and columnist?
post #168 of 185
Quote:
You know what? I was wrong.

No shit.
Quote:
When I first saw his name in Newsweek, I thought it was the same guy, especially since he was writing about economics. Bizarre.

I'm sure you did a little research when I first pointed it out and you still went ahead and played dumb instead of being honest about the guy. And no, it isn't bizarre. You knew what you were doing. I knew what you were doing.
Quote:
Well, how about he is a respected economic researcher and columnist?

How about you try not to be misleading and dishonest next time you post? Oh wait. You get most of your stuff from "FAIR". Nevermind.

There you have it folks.
post #169 of 185
Quote:
http://www.usenglish.org/

It is, but even without illegal immegration, hispanic people would have much higher population growth than the other races. Most of the things you are worried about (besides border security allowing criminals and terrorists in) are due to the high growth rate of the legal hispanic population, not illegal immegration.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #170 of 185
Quote:
No shit. I'm sure you did a little research when I first pointed it out and you still went ahead and played dumb instead of being honest about the guy. And no, it isn't bizarre. You knew what you were doing. I knew what you were doing. How about you try not to be misleading and dishonest next time you post? Oh wait. You get most of your stuff from "FAIR". Nevermind.

There you have it folks.

I am man enough to admit I was wrong and you insult me?
I had thought that was the same guy who wrote the book for 20 years!
post #171 of 185
Quote:
It is, but even without illegal immegration, hispanic people would have much higher population growth than the other races. Most of the things you are worried about (besides border security allowing criminals and terrorists in) are due to the high growth rate of the legal hispanic population, not illegal immegration.

Well, I also believe our rate of legal immigration is too high, however if something was done about illegal immigration it would help quite a bit.
post #172 of 185
Quote:
Well, I also believe our rate of legal immigration is too high, however if something was done about illegal immigration it would help quite a bit.

Perhaps they should enforce the Law???
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #173 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
Perhaps they should enforce the Law???

That would be nice, wouldn't it?

How about joining FAIR and helping me prod the politicians to do something about it?

http://www.fairus.org
post #174 of 185
Quote:
I am man enough to admit I was wrong and you insult me?
I had thought that was the same guy who wrote the book for 20 years!

lol You could've been man enough when I first pointed out who the guy-or the hack by your definition- was. Was my bolding of the word economist not enough? lol

Sorry dude. You don't get points for "damage/credibility control".

FAIR is a joke (pdf)
post #175 of 185
Ways to deal with illegal immigration:

1.Draft all 18 to 25 yr old illegal men and women into the military
2.Deny all illegal immigrants access to medical assistance
3.Deny all illegal immigrants access to the education (No Social Security number, no school)
4.Reform the law so that children born to illegal immigrants are still illegal
5.Contract out all men and women to old to be drafted to corporations (same thing should be done for prisoners)

I bet this would cut down on illegal immigration.
The Supreme Being
The Supreme Being
post #176 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by Protostar

Fascism is a pretty good way to cut down on people wanting into your country, yes.
post #177 of 185
Quote:
lol You could've been man enough when I first pointed out who the guy-or the hack by your definition- was. Was my bolding of the word economist not enough? lol

Sorry dude. You don't get points for "damage/credibility control".

FAIR is a joke (pdf)

I actually thought he was the guy, I had thought that for 20 years. You never really gave any credence to what you were saying until your last post about it, thats why I decided to look it up.

It doesn't change anything anyway. The fight against illegal immigration and uncontrolled legal immigration is going mainstream. First Newsweek, then Businessweek, my local newspaper, etc.

Local politicans are starting to get the pulse of the community on the issue also.

And its about fucking time!
post #178 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by Protostar
Ways to deal with illegal immigration:

1.Draft all 18 to 25 yr old illegal men and women into the military
2.Deny all illegal immigrants access to medical assistance
3.Deny all illegal immigrants access to the education (No Social Security number, no school)
4.Reform the law so that children born to illegal immigrants are still illegal
5.Contract out all men and women to old to be drafted to corporations (same thing should be done for prisoners)

I agree with #2. #3, and most definitely #4.
#1 and #5 I'm not too keen on.
As for medical assistance we have to provide emergency care (can't let people die), but regular care they are on their own (or Mexico can pay for it)
post #179 of 185
What is so sad is the Mexican Feds had to take over a Border town because the police chief lasted less then 30 minutes but George and his genius Republicans are saying we want your criminals! walk on in, we will look the otherway. WTF! who the hell is running this country of ours? Clowns? Idiots? or Party Stooges. Not any American I can assure you.
post #180 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
What is so sad is the Mexican Feds had to take over a Border town because the police chief lasted less then 30 minutes but George and his genius Republicans are saying we want your criminals! walk on in, we will look the otherway. WTF! who the hell is running this country of ours? Clowns? Idiots? or Party Stooges. Not any American I can assure you.

\\

Both Parties are controlled by scum.
At least there is a sizeable group of Republicans led by Tom Tancredo who are trying to do the right thing.
post #181 of 185
Quote:
\\

Both Parties are controlled by scum.
At least there is a sizeable group of Republicans led by Tom Tancredo who are trying to do the right thing.

There is a true patriot.
post #182 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
There is a true patriot.

Amen, brother
post #183 of 185

'Lets not start sucking on each others' dicks quite yet gentelmen.' - Mr Wolf (Pulp Fiction).
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #184 of 185
Businessweek, July 4,2005.

"The uprising is spreading in reaction to a new burst of illegal immigration. Since 2000, 1.4 million Mexicans have come to the US, and fully 85% of them have entered illegally, according to a new study by the Pew Hispanic Center."

So, apparently more are border hopping than what some here have believed.
The article is called "Go Back Where You Came From".

Local authorities are so fed up with the Feds' inactivity that they are taking matters into their own hands. Good for them.

The article also goes on to mention that Republicans are starting to get flak for Bush's amnesty plan and that they shouldn't expect the Guest Worker Program to go anywhere anytime soon. Good again.
post #185 of 185
I think we should start by sending all those god damn illegal back packers back to the US.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Immigration out of control-Newsweek