or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › "Letting Go of God"

"Letting Go of God" - Page 6

post #201 of 326
I just wanted to interject that 'occult' here basically means alchemy, and the study of the escatology. Newton wasn't out in the woods on the weekends, naked, wearing a goat skull, and flaying guinea pigs.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #202 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
I just wanted to interject that 'occult' here basically means alchemy, and the study of the escatology. Newton wasn't out in the woods on the weekends, naked, wearing a goat skull, and flaying guinea pigs.

Alchemy is an occult art - it involves magical processes and ritual. It never was 'scientific' or intended to be taken literally which is why no-one has ever achieved the transmutation of metals.

It never was about that. It's an allegory.

We're in the wrong thread btw.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #203 of 326
How did that happen......Great, now I can't even operate my browser.

post #204 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
How did that happen......Great, now I can't even operate my browser.

And that was just me sacrificing a hamster....think what could happen when I get started on the virgins
post #205 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler
Why do I need help? Because I believe in God? Do you think having faith is like having a mental illness, that you want to do your best to cure? If I jump onto the bandwagon of yours and become an atheist, too, or at least a polytheist will you declare me sane?

Jamac, you really need help in learning the meaning of tolerance.

BTW, Abraham's and his sons' circumscision and the following circumscision of all jews and arabs (later becoming muslims) was the sign for the contract (I have forgotten the correct english term for it) between God and the believers in Him, what do you want me to think about it beyond that?

Nightcrawler

Maybe that it is pervers?

I am a protestant minister. I go to church every day.

I don't believe self mutulation is a good thing or something any god would want.
I don't believe bowing to a wall and asking it to forgive my sins makes sense.
My god is good and does not make idiotic requests like sacrifice or self mutulation.
My bible is filled with stories. I actually don't believe it is good literature. I used to be a Franziscan monk but I quit because of perversions. I learned acting at the convent and worked as a non denominational funeral speaker in germany for a while.
post #206 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by jamac
I am a protestant minister. I go to church every day.

Looking at your posts in this thread, I find that very, very hard to believe.
post #207 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell

Looking at your posts in this thread, I find that very, very hard to believe.

Why, because he urged someone not to rely on God exclusively to solve all of his problems? Are we just helpless puppets and if anything is difficult, make God do the work? If God is omnipresent I think he can take credit even when we do the work to fix things.

This whole attitude that we are just like God's little pets, that we'll get what we want if we whine and beg enough is quite odd. (That is the inference drawn from people's posts - not something anyone specifically said, by the way).

This whole God/Creation concept is flawed. It is fundamentally unfair for a timeless, omnipotent, uncreated being (let's play along) to make a bunch of little playthings, tell them they have Free Will and if they play the game according to his rules we'll be honored to be in his presence forever as a reward beyond words.

First of all (still playing along) there is no *choice* in our having been Created. It's like raising a slave baby and when it's old enough telling it "You can either work on my farm for nothing, for life, and if you're good, when you're older, I'll let you live in the Master's house where you can grovel appreciatively. Otherwise I'll just have you tortured and killed." Nice.

If you say it is our *place* to respect such a powerful deity for the very power He has, compared to our own lack of it, what is that respect based on since he has created us intentionally as his lessers? It just comes off as arrogance on God's part to demand awe from us. It is infantile of a god to do that. It's like going into a kindergarten class and dealing out roundhouse kicks. Fair fight. Not.

It is impossible for me to believe. This isn't even something easily dodged by the typical "God works in mysterious ways" cop-outs.

Illogical hodgepodge of half-baked mythology-based power structures is all it is.

Before that's labeled as yet more hate speech:

It is Illogical.
It is a hodgepodge of pagan and other religions mashed together.
It is half-baked, requiring constant apologetic reworkings and cause innumerable rifts amongst itself.
It is mythology, having no historical evidence of a Jesus being flesh.*
It is a power structure, a supra-government that meddles in governments daily.

* And that's "OK". But call it for what it is. Symbolic only. Not real. Myth.

You can't deny much of that. No hate needed for it to be largely correct.

Hate has nothing to do with it. I despise it's lingering, persistent negative effects. And I hate that people are gullible to fall for it ceaselessly.

But that's not "hating Christians" for the sake of hate.

I love them all, they are all potential ex-victims of delusion and I welcome any that break free.
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #208 of 326
I'd have to agree with Brussel, what denomination offically supports jamac's views?

post #209 of 326
You can put that on my tab, johnq.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #210 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
I'd have to agree with Brussel, what denomination offically supports jamac's views?

Die Heretic !!!!!!
post #211 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
Why, because he urged someone not to rely on God exclusively to solve all of his problems?

jamac also said "The day god dies there will be peace on earth" and (about the Bible) : "It can also be used as toilet paper in case you run out."

I know there are plenty of serious Christians who have, shall we say, non-fundamentalist views. People like John Spong and Marcus Borg and Dominic Crossan. But those are writers and theologians, not ministers. To be a real-life minister you have to deal with people who would be seriously offended by talking about wiping your ass with the Bible, and I just doubt that someone who could utter such language would last as a minister.
post #212 of 326
Quote:

Look at it, not as good.

And they admit to taking steps to preserve the body and can be seen doing so.
post #213 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by MACchine
And they admit to taking steps to preserve the body and can be seen doing so.

I think right there you stated the only real difference.

One group admits to preservation, the other does not.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #214 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by rageous

Exactly.

This is an interesting article on this topic from the Fortean Times and it raises several key issues:

Quote:
Although popes bodies are not fully embalmed, they are preserved with formalin to prolong the period of public viewing. Funeral director Joseph Watts commented to the New York Daily News: He was embalmed right away. It was done by doctors, nothing but the best, and he was placed in the perfect place, the Catacombs. According to Watts, who has visited the tomb, the preservation of the popes body was probably the result of a number of factors. The embalming fluid was formaldehyde-based with other chemicals he was also in a triple-sealed casket and that was in a marble crypt There was no water or anything that could disintegrate [the body]. Vincenzo Pascali from the University of Rome said he doesnt think Pope Johns preservation is unusual: Its more common than you might think. The body of the Holy Father was well protected. Oxygen couldnt get into the coffin and any in there would have been used up very quickly [in the construction of the caskets] they used materials like lead and zinc which oxidise and slow the decomposition process.

Another issue is that if the incorruption of a Saint's corpse is a sign of Sainthood then why aren't all Saints incorrupt ?

And what about others who are far from Saintly:

Quote:
The Catholic authorities are right to be cautious in equating incorruptibility with holiness; a case in point concerns the body of Cardinal Shuster (18801954), a former archbishop of Milan, which was discovered to be incorrupt after 31 years in the grave. The 1985 exhumation caused some embarrassment as the cardinal was anything but a saint; he was a friend of Mussolini and supported fascism and Italys war with Abyssinia. Nor does the phenomenon of incorrupt bodies necessarily prove the claims of Catholicism. When the famous yogi Paramahansa Yogananda died in California, in 1952, his unembalmed body had not decayed and was said to emit a beautiful fragrance. Perhaps there are many incorrupt bodies of holy Protestants, Jews, Muslims and Buddhists, but well never know because these religions dont have the unusual custom of digging up their suspected saints.

The article also goes on to mention the numerous equivalents of Buddhist monks whose bodies are also 'miraculously' preserved.
post #215 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Die Heretic !!!!!!

um, segoivous, I hate to rain on your parade, but there is the small matter of ordination to consider. If he's a minister.......

Focus, man!!

post #216 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
um, segoivous, I hate to rain on your parade, but there is the small matter of ordination to consider. If he's a minister.......

Focus, man!!

Yes, I re-read it and I did find this bit deeply troubling:

Quote:
I used to be a Franziscan monk but I quit because of perversions.

post #217 of 326
Quote:

Your critical thinking is TOTALLY lacking on this subject:

1. I want to see the close up, well not really it would be gross !!!

2. St. Bernadette died in 1879 !!!

Your example is WEAK having died in 1924 Now you are going to argue that they had better preservation methods in 1879 then they did 45 years later ???

Thinking that the church would fake this, is incorrect and a total misunderstanding of what they are about.

Your faith and religion in nothingness is stopping you from thinking this through logically.

Oh and then there is the long line of wheel chairs that continue to pack the entrance to Lourdes !!!
post #218 of 326
Will some kind moderator please put MACchine out of all of our misery? If he isn't a troll, then he's then one of the most naturally annoying posters I've encountered. If chihuahuas could post, they'd sound like MACchine -- grating and hyperactive yipping noises, signifying nothing.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #219 of 326

I'm fascinated at how you can draw such conclusions about me from one quote. Perhaps you ought to go back and figure out who you're really trying to talk to here? Then you can PM me an apology for incorrectly attributing things to me. No need to make it a public affair.

post #220 of 326
Quote:
Yes, I re-read it and I did find this bit deeply troubling:

quote:
I used to be a Franziscan monk but I quit because of perversions.

Yeah, that's a real red flag right there. No one with perversions actually quits the Catholic church.
post #221 of 326
Quote:
Exactly.

This is an interesting article on this topic from the Fortean Times and it raises several key issues:

Another issue is that if the incorruption of a Saint's corpse is a sign of Sainthood then why aren't all Saints incorrupt ?

And what about others who are far from Saintly:

The article also goes on to mention the numerous equivalents of Buddhist monks whose bodies are also 'miraculously' preserved.

The bottom line to me is, if anyone can dismiss this easily, they do not think critically using evidence.

Further-more I accept the writings of a Nobel prize winner about miracles at Lourdes LONG before I will accept simple speculations on a web forum.

The findings of the first mummies were not made public until at the earliest 1881, so in 1879 there was no basis to say their was a popular desire for such a miracle.

http://www.egyptologyonline.com/mummies.htm

Your whole argument is quit fantastic and far fetched, the idea that this kind of preservation tech was available at that time is WAY OUT THERE.

You know YOUR ARGUMENT VERY WELL PROVES MY POINT, if St. Bernadette is preserved by a preservation technique then why aren't all saints preserved this way ?!?!?!?
post #222 of 326
Quote:

I'm fascinated at how you can draw such conclusions about me from one quote. Perhaps you ought to go back and figure out who you're really trying to talk to here? Then you can PM me an apology for incorrectly attributing things to me. No need to make it a public affair.

THAT PICT OF LENIN IS REALLY GROSS HIS FINGERS ARE TURNING SO BLACK THE MAKEUP DOES NOT EVEN COVER IT UP !!!

Oh soo because you are a mod you feel free to use your authority to gain favors and "Uncles" that others could not achieve.

Certainly this is what you are doing since I said nothing rude or obscene.

You are claiming that I am being presumptuous, and rather than correcting me you expect an apology -- THAT IS FUNNY. More flawed judgment.

No the other hand I claim that you were intentionally drawing me in and have now said you are insulted by ordinary disagreement, your lack of logic and common knowledge IS SEVERELY OFFENSIVE TO ME, thus YOU OWE ME AN APOLOGY.

Now you are saying to yourself that my judgment is flawed because this exchange will lead to me being band from AI, NOW REALLY IS THAT A PUNISHMENT OR A FAVOR !?!?!?!

From my point of view it IS NOT PUNISHMENT.

You are clearly part of the LIBERAL CONSPIRACY only this type would behave with such disregard.

I have NOTHING to apologize for, YOU SHOULD BE THANKING ME FOR SPENDING MY VALUABLE TIME CORRECTING YOUR WEAK MENTAL PROCESSES -- !!!

Actually I think these forums almost always devolve into molesters and molested children, the MC kiss the butts the M and they do that because they accept their station in life and want to see the innocent and strong pay the dues they are paying, and do all they can to draw then in. They want believe that no one can resist the strength of evil and their evil dominators.

Well, my whole family and small town that I grew up in are ALL molesters and I resisted them ALL -- AND I ALSO TURNED THEM INTO THE POLICE. The police who I am sure watch these forums diligently -- AppleInblackout !!!

If one person, I can resist all these people working against me then YOU must face the facts YOU ARE ALL PITIFULLY WEAK AND PATHETIC AND EVIL IS ALSO PATHETIC AND WEAK and that is just the way it is.
post #223 of 326
I'm thinking that MACchine must be Hassan.
post #224 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
I'm thinking that MACchine must be Hassan.

No Hassan, YES MACchine, YES Mac_yoda, YES backwards talk !!!
post #225 of 326
I'll tell you what:

Show me where I posted a photo of Lenin, and not only will I declare myself owned, I'll give up the modership that I so thoroughly abuse.

But to make things fair, if you can't find my post, perhaps a week long ban from politcal outsider for you for thread hijacking and being an all around nuisance?

Deal?

post #226 of 326
Quote:
I'll tell you what:

Show me where I posted a photo of Lenin, and not only will I declare myself owned, I'll give up the modership that I so thoroughly abuse.

But to make things fair, if you can't find my post, perhaps a week long ban from politcal outsider for you for thread hijacking and being an all around nuisance?

Deal?

You TOTALLY LOST ME ???

I never said you posted a photo of Lenin, the other guy DID.

HOW have I hijacked this thread ??? Most of my posts here are simply responding to YOU !!!

How is a LOGICAL argument a nuisance ??????

I continue to ask the unanswered question posed by my brilliant friend above:

"You know YOUR ARGUMENT VERY WELL PROVES MY POINT, if St. Bernadette is preserved by a preservation technique then why aren't all saints preserved this way ?!?!?!?"
post #227 of 326
Quote:
You TOTALLY LOST ME ???

HOW have I hijacked this thread ??? Most of my posts here are simply responding to YOU !!!

"You know YOUR ARGUMENT VERY WELL PROVES MY POINT, if St. Bernadette is preserved by a preservation technique then why aren't all saints preserved this way ?!?!?!?"

If you can post like a normal human being, without using caps and blathering on about 'liberal conspiracy', then your position may be tenable. You are undermining your own credibility by doing so.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #228 of 326
Quote:

Because if one wants to try and make people believe in over the top miracles to drum up support for their belief system, like a body that doesn't rot for instance, one may go to certain lengths to manufacture that miracle.

At the same time, if no Saint's body ever rotted, there'd be a lot of scientists clamoring to find out why, in which case something less than miraculous would probably be exposed.

post #229 of 326
Also (and as the resident fundie) on the same theme as rageous, in a universe of Ultimate Contingency, you could have a million miracles and it wouldn't really be of any significance.
(philosphically speaking)

post #230 of 326
Quote:
HOW have I hijacked this thread ???

By TYPING so fucking ANNOYINGLY if nothing ELSE!!!

!!!

As if you DON'T KNOW why you are ANNOYING?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!

:EYEROLL:

Now let's get back to DMZ not answering my questions or being soooo busy that he doesn't have time (until people stop asking him direct questions).
post #231 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
By TYPING so fucking ANNOYINGLY if nothing ELSE!!!

!!!

As if you DON'T KNOW why you are ANNOYING?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!

:EYEROLL:

Now let's get back to DMZ not answering my questions or being soooo busy that he doesn't have time (until people stop asking him direct questions).

short, economical riffs 'till the weekend, I PROMISE! :WINK:WINK;NUDGE;NUDGE

post #232 of 326
He's not me. I'm only pretend mad.
post #233 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
He's not me. I'm only pretend mad.

I dunno, maybe if we could get a urine sample?

post #234 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
I dunno, maybe if we could get a urine sample?

Cool, you could fill a tank with it and get a crucifix...err.....umm.....
post #235 of 326
Ever considered that there might have been a god at one point, but he's ceased to exist since then?
post #236 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Ever considered that there might have been a god at one point, but he's ceased to exist since then?

That is clearly the only conclusion one can reach from a careful reading of the old Testament. In fact, one can even pinpoint the point when God disappears - somewhere prior to the book of Ruth.

After that He never speaks again and is increasingly remote.

Of course, in any event this OT God was not 'God' but merely a tribal local god of the Israelites and one that ofr political/power purposes they elevated to the position of 'big-cheese'.

This is all quite explicit in the OT if read with an objective eye.
post #237 of 326
I'm sure most Christians won't agree with me here, but I think Christianity went a long way towards "letting go of God." The essence of Christianity, in my view, is that God was, for the first time, replaced by a man. It's really a humanistic religion in that respect. And I don't think Jesus ever referred to himself as the unique son of God, and I don't even think he talked about God. Instead he talked about "the Kingdom of God" which was already here and within us. That sounds like humanism rather than the kind of superantural religion that instead became Christianity.
post #238 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
SUCH a funny guy.

What's up with the wax museum?

I think that you usually call it another name . . . like the Church
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #239 of 326
Quote:
You TOTALLY LOST ME ???

Its really simple . . . if you had bothered to read the quote above. Some bodies don't rot most do . . . some people don't rot ( I chalk it up to foodstuffs or natural toxins or whatever . . . but mostly I just think that they do rot, but slower, and that those that 'really' don't have had some covert help in orderr to bring in the pilgrim-tax)

I want to point out also that the phrase that you are waving around like a hysterical fanatic, as if it is going to prove your point, can also be, in itself, proof positive that the Catholic Church's ideas about saints is quite. . . well . .. fallible: "why aren't all saints preserved this way?"

Meaning: why are all these so called saints' bodies rotting despite the fact that saints bodies are not supposed to rot?
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #240 of 326
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
Its really simple . . . if you had bothered to read the quote above. Some bodies don't rot most do . . . some people don't rot ( I chalk it up to foodstuffs or natural toxins or whatever . . . but mostly I just think that they do rot, but slower, and that those that 'really' don't have had some covert help in orderr to bring in the pilgrim-tax)

I want to point out also that the phrase that you are waving around like a hysterical fanatic, as if it is going to prove your point, can also be, in itself, proof positive that the Catholic Church's ideas about saints is quite. . . well . .. fallible: "why aren't all saints preserved this way?"

Meaning: why are all these so called saints' bodies rotting despite the fact that saints bodies are not supposed to rot?

I know all about the history of dead bodies and all the strange things people have found by digging them up, and the strange people that dig them.

SAYING SOMETHING THAT IS TRUE DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS ABSOLUTE OR IN-TRANSITORY -- and only very weak minds function this way, but alas many mind DO function this way !!!

Some bodies do decay very slowly but these are bodies that are buried in soils with natural preservatives or in caskets that by design or accident hermetically seal the body.

But they ALL decay some just do it more slowly, the liquids in the body pretty much guarantee this. And those bodies that were dug up after a month that looked like they were still perfect were highly decayed internally, the experts on the subject said that they were actually bloated internally, thus they were liquified inside. After a while they would just burst and fall apart.

It looks like Lenin is turning black all over, the color of dried blood and they are using light colored makeup to hide this.

Do me a favor and ever time you cook a piece meat put a little chunk of it in a plate on the counter and wait a week, and THEN EAT IT !!!

When you find one that has NOT rotted let me know, THANKS !

CALLING THE ANSWER TO A QUESTION fallible does not make it so or fool anyone, we ALL know the truth deep down, avoiding admitting it is how many people live there lives.

MANY people just say this won't work or that can't be true and that is the SAFE rought to take, you can no NOTHING AT ALL, and this will seem to be correct much of time. But the truth requires knowing how things work and that means the fine details of how things work, no it NOT true that most things DON'T WORK, most things DO WORK you just have to know how to use them.

See the problem people have with these topics is that they deal with information that does not fit into their comic book view of the world, but that is FANTASY NOT REALITY !!!

REALITY IS COMPLICATED so most people never realize it, thus true miracles will always be ignored.

I want to go make a donation to Mother Teresa but I can't find her body ???

Soo answer the question:

"If St. Bernadette is preserved by a preservation technique then why aren't all saints preserved this way ?!?!?!?"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › "Letting Go of God"