or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › G5 - The truth
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

G5 - The truth - Page 5

post #161 of 490
Fact is no matter what the mods say some will have their doubts... Dorsal could come right out and say where s/he works and then get fired and it even makes the evening news and people would still have their doubts... People are funny that way. Point to the sky and tell em it's blue and they still want proof...

You have a few choices here...

Believe or Don't Believe

My simple request that has gone totally ignored (you know who you are) is to please cut down on the personal attacks and the nasty and/or rude comments.

The Future Hardware forum has (as of this posting) 197 different topics... If you don't like or believe what Dorsal has to say just move on to a better/different topic.

If every time Dorsal posts and the same handful of people chime in to cut him and/or his reporting down (and maybe drives him/her away) you are doing a great diservice to those who want to hear what s/he has to say.

I still don't know how I feel about Dorsal, I do know s/he called the 2001 MWSF PowerMac's (to a tee) back in the FALL of 2000 (october/november posts)... As for the MWNY PowerMacs... Well the speeds were right but not much more...

Dave,

P.S. Dorsal I sent you a private message...

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #162 of 490
So what purpose does Apple serve sending machines out for testing? What testing occurs outside of Apple that Apple could not do internally? Maybe Apple approached the testing of the G5 hardware differently than they have in the past.

Has anyone here done hardware testing for a major computer manufacturer before...outside of the company?
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
post #163 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:
<strong>Fact is no matter what the mods say some will have their doubts... Dorsal could come right out and say where s/he works and then get fired and it even makes the evening news and people would still have their doubts... People are funny that way. Point to the sky and tell em it's blue and they still want proof...

You have a few choices here...

Believe or Don't Believe

My simple request that has gone totally ignored (you know who you are) is to please cut down on the personal attacks and the nasty and/or rude comments.

The Future Hardware forum has (as of this posting) 197 different topics... If you don't like or believe what Dorsal has to say just move on to a better/different topic.

If every time Dorsal posts and the same handful of people chime in to cut him and/or his reporting down (and maybe drives him/her away) you are doing a great diservice to those who want to hear what s/he has to say.

I still don't know how I feel about Dorsal, I do know s/he called the 2001 MWSF PowerMac's (to a tee) back in the FALL of 2000 (october/november posts)... As for the MWNY PowerMacs... Well the speeds were right but not much more...

Dave,

P.S. Dorsal I sent you a private message...

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have no idea who you are referring to but I have been around since the Worker Bee / Dorsal / Kormac76 / NF1 / Motoman days. I have always been a big advocate of Dorsal, especially after the MWSF machines were announced last year. This is a new board and whether or not this IS Dorsal is up for debate and this is a forum where things are debated and this is a Future Hardware forum where Future Apple Hardware is debated and if someone claiming to be Dorsal (whether it is really him or not doesn't matter) is passing along Future Hardware information than whether or not we or anyone feels the info is accurate or not is open for debate. Just as much as you do NOT want to debate whether it is him or not and you have that right, everyone and anyone else also has the right to debate whether it IS him or not and whether or not what he is saying is true or not.

Honestly, I could care less either way. If anything by him being here it's created discussion and anticipation and all of that is cool fun! <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
post #164 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:
<strong>So what purpose does Apple serve sending machines out for testing? What testing occurs outside of Apple that Apple could not do internally? Maybe Apple approached the testing of the G5 hardware differently than they have in the past.

Has anyone here done hardware testing for a major computer manufacturer before...outside of the company?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, Apple has always sent out development units of its upcoming hardware to developers (with a few exceptions, imac, ipod) There are a few reasons:

1. This sort of beta testing, much like software beta testing, helps to bring out problems in the hardware when used by real people in real life situations, the sorts of things that can't be duplicated in a testing lab, though Apple does put their hardware through their own rigorous tests as well.

2. It also helps developers ensure that their software is compatible with the new hardware, which is especially important when going to a new processor, or new motherboard configuration.

3. It gives developers a testbed for developing new hardware for use with the new machines to be released alongside the new hardware. Say, if gigawire is going to be a part of the new machines, then developers certainly need a functioning mac with Gigawire to test their new hardware with, yes? And what of the kids who are making the display cards for these new macs? How are they to sniff out hardware-specific bugs if they don't have the hardware to play with.

Often, such hardware test mules are sent only to the most important, or largest, developers. I'm sure microsoft and adobe would be on the short list of developers who get apple hardware in advance, as well as ATI and NVIdia.

make sense?

ciao,
my other signature is witty
Reply
my other signature is witty
Reply
post #165 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:
<strong>

Have no idea who you are referring to but I have been around since the Worker Bee / Dorsal / Kormac76 / NF1 / Motoman days. I have always been a big advocate of Dorsal, especially after the MWSF machines were announced last year. This is a new board and whether or not this IS Dorsal is up for debate and this is a forum where things are debated and this is a Future Hardware forum where Future Apple Hardware is debated and if someone claiming to be Dorsal (whether it is really him or not doesn't matter) is passing along Future Hardware information than whether or not we or anyone feels the info is accurate or not is open for debate. Just as much as you do NOT want to debate whether it is him or not and you have that right, everyone and anyone else also has the right to debate whether it IS him or not and whether or not what he is saying is true or not.

Honestly, I could care less either way. If anything by him being here it's created discussion and anticipation and all of that is cool fun! <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" /> </strong><hr></blockquote>

I too have been around in those days.. I tend to read a lot more than I post I usually don't post just for the sake of posting... (I also tend to learn more that way)

Anyway, the Admins as well as the mods have all stated that this is the dorsal of old and they are the ONLY folks who could confirm things.

Nobody could just take Dorsals word for it (not even me) but a third party group in a position to compare things such as IP addresses and/or email addresses used to create a user name did confirm things. I'm not saying the admins have full faith in Dorsal as an insider but I must trust them when they say this is the same person we knew from the old AI boards.

Some people here want to call the Admins/Mods liars? Well that's fine but I do take their word for it. If I didn't I wouldn't stay here.

Dave

P.S. Dorsal to read private messages click on the "my profile" link at the top of the page.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #166 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:
<strong>
Nobody could just take Dorsals word for it (not even me) but a third party group in a position to compare things such as IP addresses and/or email addresses used to create a user name did confirm things. I'm not saying the admins have full faith in Dorsal as an insider but I must trust them when they say this is the same person we knew from the old AI boards.</strong><hr></blockquote>


BINGO.

Would you all stop making up conspiracy theories?

We don't care that much. I especially don't get paid by AI, and I have nothing to profit from.


Just chill on the whole Admin Conspiracy, because it doesn't exist.

The reason for a secretive attitude towards it is that we don't want to say that "User XXXXX" knows the IP of "Dorsal" and thereby comprimise the privacy of our posters.

Chill out.
post #167 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:
<strong>
Would you all stop making up conspiracy theories?
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or at least make them more baroque.

[quote] Just chill on the whole Admin Conspiracy, because it doesn't exist. <hr></blockquote>

Conspirators always deny the existance of a conspiracy.
post #168 of 490
actually, as it turns out, there is a large moderator/administrator conspiracy afoot. I happen to know a little because my brother's girlfriend's friend's brother's friend's exgirlfriend's high school crush used to babysit for the friends of the brother of one of the administrators. And i unwittingly got pulled into the plotting.
apprently, it involves all of the administrators both here at the apple insider forums and over at the macnn forums, as well as all of the apple insider moderators. the macnn moderators do not appear to be involved. as usual (there seem to have been similar conspiracies before), the mastermind behind the scheme is "m" (think James Bond), who i believe (&gt;looks over shoulder&lt is working for the FBI or microsoft or both. his (her?) number one assistant "n" (it seems this "individual" is one or multiple administrators) is in charge of actually implementing the project. since the primary role imposed on me by the conspirators was simply to disseminate misinformation about the conspiracy, i can't provide any concrete details about their actual goals. all i can say is that they have big plans--bigger than anything seem before. and it has something to do with microsoft, and something to do with (the aquisition of?) apple, and something to do with (a large cut for) new hardware (for this forum).
and the rescheduling of the keynote address for the macworld sf was done for the personal convenience of m, not of steve.
"."
Reply
"."
Reply
post #169 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by flowerbob:
<strong>actually, as it turns out, there is a large moderator/administrator conspiracy afoot. I happen to know a little because my brother's girlfriend's friend's brother's friend's exgirlfriend's high school crush used to babysit for the friends of the brother of one of the administrators. And i unwittingly got pulled into the plotting.
apprently, it involves all of the administrators both here at the apple insider forums and over at the macnn forums, as well as all of the apple insider moderators. the macnn moderators do not appear to be involved. as usual (there seem to have been similar conspiracies before), the mastermind behind the scheme is "m" (think James Bond), who i believe (&gt;looks over shoulder&lt is working for the FBI or microsoft or both. his (her?) number one assistant "n" (it seems this "individual" is one or multiple administrators) is in charge of actually implementing the project. since the primary role imposed on me by the conspirators was simply to disseminate misinformation about the conspiracy, i can't provide any concrete details about their actual goals. all i can say is that they have big plans--bigger than anything seem before. and it has something to do with microsoft, and something to do with (the aquisition of?) apple, and something to do with (a large cut for) new hardware (for this forum).
and the rescheduling of the keynote address for the macworld sf was done for the personal convenience of m, not of steve.
<img src="graemlins/bugeye.gif" border="0" alt="[Skeptical]" /> </strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL

I'm sure Ryan will be publishing this news just as soon as he figures out how to reboot his server (or pay his bills, or what ever.)
post #170 of 490
Well, if this is the real Dorsal, I always wondered if there were people above him that may have access to more new stuff (like the G5). This could explain why his original post made no mention of it. So his latest post could be accurate, or he could just be BSing to fall in line with the trendy rumors and to get more attention.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Tarbash ]</p>
"We're not gonna stop."
- Steve Jobs
Reply
"We're not gonna stop."
- Steve Jobs
Reply
post #171 of 490
Something in the back of my mind just wants to believe...
This Post Disabled on PowerMac G5s
Reply
This Post Disabled on PowerMac G5s
Reply
post #172 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Ventral:
<strong>Something in the back of my mind just wants to believe...</strong><hr></blockquote>

More like the top of your mind, I'd say.

Alex
post #173 of 490
[quote] More like the top of your mind, I'd say. <hr></blockquote>


dorsal=back, ventral=belly (front)

I went to a lot of trouble to make that one joke you guys better start laughing.
This Post Disabled on PowerMac G5s
Reply
This Post Disabled on PowerMac G5s
Reply
post #174 of 490
post #175 of 490
Back on topic-

Shouldn't the G5 1.2 or so be fabbing right now? I remember reading that the middle chip or so would go into production the 2nd week or so of Dec. I wonder how it's going it at all.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #176 of 490
Sorry guys, no G5 at MWSF.

G4's up to 1.266GHz.
post #177 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Codename:
<strong>Sorry guys, no G5 at MWSF.

G4's up to 1.266GHz.</strong><hr></blockquote>

&lt;sarcasm&gt;
Hi, my name is codename, and I like to post short, cryptic messages to make myself look like I actually know what I'm talking about.
&lt;/sarcasm&gt;

HOW do you know this?

brace yourselves for a short, cryptic reply...
post #178 of 490
(speaking on behalf of Codename)

I just know.
post #179 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Codename:
<strong>Sorry guys, no G5 at MWSF.

G4's up to 1.266GHz.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry guy, but I don't believe ya.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #180 of 490
Yea Bullsxxt
post #181 of 490
Moogs

Hilarious post back there on page 3. Not too often I actually laugh when reading these boords.
post #182 of 490
A little bird told that Trinity shall return, after eating pie, more voluminous than a dolphin...

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Codename ]</p>
post #183 of 490
codename= PowerMac G4
post #184 of 490
applenut-
What's that mean?
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #185 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Codename:
<strong>A little bird told that Trinity shall return, after eating pie, more voluminous than a dolphin...

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Codename ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Trinity = G4 Cube
dolphin = Nintendo Game Cube?
pie = ????

Not sure about the Game Cube reference either since the G4 Cube was always larger than the GC...
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #186 of 490
Wow, secret spy lingo. I'm lost now, lol
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #187 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Codename:
<strong>A little bird told that...
]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I prefer goat entrails
post #188 of 490
Whatever type of pie that is, I bet it's humble....



[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: boy_analog ]</p>
post #189 of 490
Perhaps a larger cube, targeted at the consumers who want a Mac without PCI slots (or only one), an AGP port for upgrading the video card, and the ability to choose their own display. If it's larger, then it will be cheaper to manufacture, meaning that Apple may be able to price it correctly, as in, cheaper than an iMac? That would be a hit, and it woudl be revolutionary for Apple, if not the rest of the industry.

Codename, he's talking about the Powermacs getting the Apollo. Apollo is rumored to clock at :

1 GHz
1.133 GHz
1.266 GHz

I just don't see Apple using a CPU designed for low power, low heat applications in the Powermacs. It makes more sense for them to use the G5. But if the G5 isn't ready, then I think the above speeds are what we can expect for the new Powermacs. Nice, but nothing great.

The best part about it is that maybe, just maybe, this will free up some of the slower G4s, clocked at around 800MHz, for the upgrade manufactureres. I'd love to drop an 800 MHz CPU into my 400 MHz Sawtooth. Better yet, a dual 800 MHz upgrade! But alas, the upgrades are so expensive it's usually cheaper to just sell one's computer and put the money towards a new Powermac.
post #190 of 490
unfortunately what codename said may be true..i personally want a g5 but the sky looks cloudy..and word has it that if the g5 is not ready (likely) then we shall see a quad g4. not bad either, but pricey. only for the high-end folks.
post #191 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by BRussell:
<strong>For you linguistic analysts, and just for old time's sake, here is some old Dorsal.

From March 2, 2001:
Sorry for the long post, but I thought it would be interesting to see some of Dorsal's old posts again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, but Dorsal M registered on 11-23-2001. So where do his old posts come from.
post #192 of 490
Dorsal's old posts come from the old AI, before the extended period off the air.
post #193 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by KidRed:
<strong>applenut-
What's that [Codename = PowerMac G4] mean?</strong><hr></blockquote>

PowerMac G4 was a poster to the old AI boards. Waaaay back in the day he posted as Codename, and it appears that he's reverted to his old handle.

As I recall, he claimed to have a source at Motorola.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
post #194 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>codename= PowerMac G4</strong><hr></blockquote>

Fran? Where are ya? Here is your chance...

&lt;&lt;Fran thinks that PowermacG4 - Codename - Nick DePlume are all the same person&gt;&gt;
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
post #195 of 490
G5 is confirmed (love that!) for MWSF2002

Check out
<a href="http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html" target="_blank">http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html</a>

It says on the site:
Please note that the shareware version of VueScan is disabled on PowerPC G5 processors.

xlr8yourmac.com has the link.
post #196 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by CodeWarrior:
<strong>G5 is confirmed (love that!) for MWSF2002

Check out
<a href="http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html" target="_blank">http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html</a>

It says on the site:
Please note that the shareware version of VueScan is disabled on PowerPC G5 processors.

xlr8yourmac.com has the link.</strong><hr></blockquote>


Who is hamrick that they would have access to G5 machines. Forget that.
post #197 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by specialkbdc:
<strong>Moogs

Hilarious post back there on page 3. Not too often I actually laugh when reading these boords.</strong><hr></blockquote>


Thanks. But surely you can't be serious when you imply you don't often find anything to laugh about on these forums. This room in particular is ripe with butt-gusting commentary and hypothesis. Frankly, I usually find it hard NOT to laugh....

Aldo is watching....
Reply
Aldo is watching....
Reply
post #198 of 490
Just to pee on the campfire a little bit, this was posted on MacNN today:

[quote]
I dunno where people are getting this stuff, but I *assure* you that there will be no G5 at MacWorld/SF -- indeed, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there were no G5s in 2002 at all. It just isn't on the radar screen, and won't be under late 2002 at the earliest.

The new Apollo G4's are really G4.5's -- and they will reach some pretty decent clockspeeds in 2002.

________________

Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.
<hr></blockquote>

Andrew is reliable when it comes to nuts-and-bolts computer stuff, but I don't know what source/info he's relying on here.

Another fellow:

[quote]
There will be no "G5" in January, but 3 new G4 models based on the 7460 chip with the low-end G4 surpassing the speed of our current fastest, and the high-end topping out at 1.4GHz. The processor speed along with a faster version of DDR SDRAM @266MHz should dramatically change the feel of our current slug of an OS.
<hr></blockquote>

I am trying to temper my expectations, but I do hope JYD's reasoning turns out to be correct.
post #199 of 490
post #200 of 490
Perhaps a larger cube, targeted at the consumers who want a Mac without PCI slots

An Imac cube, 1ghz G3 with an LCD monitor for $1299? $1399? ...do we hear $1499?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › G5 - The truth