or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › G5 - The truth
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

G5 - The truth - Page 8

post #281 of 490
[quote] general pros: OS X scalable icons and big widgets
general cons: any fcn requiring modifier keys (although Newton had some niceties like 1-1/2 taps + drag was like an option-drag; so perhaps click-and-hold could bring up contextual menus, like FinderPop did) <hr></blockquote>

The carbon functions are well thought out. Every key can be simulated up or down, so to do apple-Q you do:

Apple down
Q down
Q up
Apple up

So if a stylus driven mac had a onscreen keyboard with every key, you could do anything
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/
Reply
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/
Reply
post #282 of 490
This may cause some confusion:

Ingram has 80 models in stock of the low end model, has 50 on order . BUT, they will arive feb. 7 2002 .
What do we make of this . No new powermac until feb. 2002 or is Apple waiting until then to ship the new powermac . Or, theory...G5 anounced in jan. but won't ship until feb . There you have your 6 months of beta-testing the G5 .

I'm getting confused of this ;o)

Still want a G5 though
post #283 of 490
The more I think about this the more it makes sense.

This is not an iMac. That's a very successful AIO concept that everybody from design company secrataries to your grandma can plug in and use. Jonathon Ive just has to come up with the goods one more time and it will sell itself.

This is something different; like the iPod its a 'value adding' product that only makes sense if you have a Mac. Its going to be aimed at the two markets, business & home. Remember Steve making the comment "the PDA market isn't somewhere we want to be right now. Nobody brings their PDA's to meetings anymore"

What they would bring (and I certainly would) is a tablet to make handwritten notes and sketches, airporting to their laptops and desktops after the meeting. Laptops are great but most of the time they are plugged into the mains; people use them as 'transportables'. They are a desktop power machine that you can easily pack up and move from place to place. Surfing the net at home (and in the office) via Airport is a great pleasure but its not really an 'on your lap in front of the television' type thing; especially if you hate trackpads; which I do. A tablet makes that scenario so much more compelling.

The 'remote control' aspect of all this makes things even more interesting; sys admins? business presentations? home AV system control? (once the whole HAVi mob gate their firewire act together). We've talked quite a bit in the past on these boards about the whole home entertainmen/TiVO/MP3/cable/server business and how Apple could slot in. Perhaps we were barking up the wrong tree. Whilst the rest of the world gets its act together trying hook up all their AV kit Apple have created the mother of all home remote controls (Phillips Pronto? my as)

So what does it need technology wise?
12" 1024 x 768 touchscreen
G3 500?
Airport, natch
Firewire, oh yes
USB, yep for keyboard (can we have a really cute Apple mini keyboard please Steve?)
5 gig micro drive? (they must have a warehouse full of them somewhere)
256meg hardwired
OSX with handwriting recog
Form factor? thin, thin, thin; you've got to able to use it like a writing pad.
Design? Oh I think we know that one don't we kids? Translucent white polycarbonate front, polished steel back ( with big rubber pads hopefully)

Price; hmmm $999 would be amazing but I can't see it myself. I think $1299 would strike the correct Apple balance between "Ouch!" and "I gotta have one!" whilst keeping Fred Anderson a happy bunny.

The last time Apple prised the credit card out of my pocket was 10 minutes after the Powerbook Ti was announced.....I'm getting that twitchy feeling again.....
post #284 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by vinney57:
<strong>This is something different; like the iPod its a 'value adding' product that only makes sense if you have a Mac. Its going to be aimed at the two markets, business & home. Remember Steve making the comment "the PDA market isn't somewhere we want to be right now. Nobody brings their PDA's to meetings anymore"

What they would bring (and I certainly would) is a tablet to make handwritten notes and sketches, airporting to their laptops and desktops after the meeting. Laptops are great but most of the time they are plugged into the mains; people use them as 'transportables'. They are a desktop power machine that you can easily pack up and move from place to place. Surfing the net at home (and in the office) via Airport is a great pleasure but its not really an 'on your lap in front of the television' type thing; especially if you hate trackpads; which I do. A tablet makes that scenario so much more compelling.

The 'remote control' aspect of all this makes things even more interesting; sys admins? business presentations? home AV system control? (once the whole HAVi mob gate their firewire act together). We've talked quite a bit in the past on these boards about the whole home entertainmen/TiVO/MP3/cable/server business and how Apple could slot in. Perhaps we were barking up the wrong tree. Whilst the rest of the world gets its act together trying hook up all their AV kit Apple have created the mother of all home remote controls (Phillips Pronto? my as)</strong><hr></blockquote>

vinney57 you better cut this out... My nipples are starting to get hard!

I don't care if people don't "SEE" the benefit of something like this... I know I do! I also know that once it is totally spelled out to them they too will see the light.

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #285 of 490
Ha!

easy tiger....
post #286 of 490
Here's a really quick mockup like I promised earlier - incorporating the Cube style into the new iMac like it may have been hinted, depending on how you read the posts...



-S
post #287 of 490
Maybe the G5 is coming. The Mot 8500 embedded in the iPad running OS X and all new comps have built in Airport.
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
Reply
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
Reply
post #288 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:
<strong>Here's a really quick mockup like I promised earlier...
-S</strong><hr></blockquote>

Way off...
post #289 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Codename:
<strong>

Way off...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Figured as much...too delicate for an iMac. Still had fun making it

But any hints other than "way off?"

-S
post #290 of 490
You should switch the cube guts to the back, shorten the "rod" things and I think it wouldn't be to bad. The screen could tilt up and down on a upper lip of the cube like guts. Kinda like the iBook screen and its case. (this would also remove the need for the "rods"). What about a pyrimid like base, perhaps never coming to a point. The CD slot would be on the base under the screen, but stick out because of the pyrimid like shape.

hmm...
Nope, never, not going happen'
Reply
Nope, never, not going happen'
Reply
post #291 of 490
[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: SpiffyGuyC ]</p>
post #292 of 490
Too ugly.
post #293 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by vinney57:
<strong>The last time Apple prised the credit card out of my pocket was 10 minutes after the Powerbook Ti was announced.....I'm getting that twitchy feeling again.....</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've never been a big fan of portables but if they released what you just suggested yours wouldn't be the only credit card they pried out of someone's pocket.

I would definitely not resist that :eek:
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
post #294 of 490
Fuck all this PDA/Tablet nonsense. Those products are nothing more than Sharper image toys for dorks with too much money.

What Apple needs is a CONSUMER TOWER. Basically, take the current tower, remove all but one PCI slot, shrink it down by allowing less space for HDs, and you've got a consumer tower.

Now, for the PRo tower: Take the current tower, add a PCI slot, add TWO expandable drive bays, and that's a pro tower.

Price the pro towers as is. Price the consumer towers 900-1600. They won't cannibalize iMac sales, totally different demographics and the tower is w/o monitor.

If Apple did the above their sales would grow in leaps and bounds. They should hire me and I would teach them a few things about what sells in the computer marketplace. First I'd have to confiscate all bongs, seize all acid, and use metal detectors to find all the syringes. That stuff has it's place when designing the iTunes visuals, but not the bread and butter equipment.
post #295 of 490
Junkyard Dawg
"What Apple needs is a CONSUMER TOWER."

Agreed.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
post #296 of 490
Codename I'd like to introduce you to my friend Jack because, judging from your cryptic posts, it's obvious that you don't know jack.
Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.
Reply
Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.
Reply
post #297 of 490
(Moved to Dolphin Thread)

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: mackie9 ]</p>
post #298 of 490
That product (above) looks awesome, but the iMac is and will continue to be all-in-one (unless this is supposed to be some in-between product and not an iMac). But I could see the screen legs straddling the base, attached at the top...so if the screen came off it would just act like an easel to place it on when not mobile.

However, I still say that any tablet Apple develops will be a product independent of a CPU. It will not be part of an iMac or anything else - besides, 15" is kinda big to carry around...in a tablet I'd look for iBook screen size. And it will supplement and drive other hardware sales in times like now where people aren't looking to purchase new systems, but maybe add a few cool toys.

The aspect of your design that I really like is the "short stack" cube.

-S
post #299 of 490
Junkyard Dawg
"What Apple needs is a CONSUMER TOWER."

wasn't that the cube?? actually if i could buy a cube and a 15 or 17" lcd monitor for 1700 i probably would (ok, i definetly would--the cube should be sold bundled with an Apple studio display at a dicounted price)...so an up-dated cube that is priced right could be apple's consumer tower...just make it easy to add ram and change the battery and mainsteam users would be happy;

not what i think apple may do, but i hope:

iMac-$699-$799 crt education model--cd-r/20 gig hd/128 ram-G3
iMac2 (lcd)--$999-1499---3 models--
1.cd-r/40 gig hd
2.combo/60 gig hd
3. super/80 gig hd(not likely--but a man can dream)--G4 should be on iMac2 at all levels---leave G3 for crt education model.

cube/consumer tower--$1699-1999---maybe two models:
1. combo drive with 60 gig hd and 256 ram
2. superdrive w/ 80 hd and 256 or 512 ram--either comes bundled with 17in lcd ASD

pro-tower---see g5 thread for ideas---i gots nothing


if i could get a cube with superdrive and a 17 ASD for $2000 i would buy two and promise my next born child to steve jobs (of course, as my user name suggests, i will be having no more children...so that is an idle promise at best.

just dream thoughts, but it would be nice, is "doable" and would have me taking the wallet from my back pocket before S.J. was opening his second bottle of water on stage at MWSF....g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
Reply
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
Reply
post #300 of 490
whats the ipod screen size?

<a href="http://www.spymac.com" target="_blank">www.spymac.com</a>

"Time will as well tell about iWalk. What we can offer is only that much at the moment: Apple appears to be working very closely with Samsung in order to get the displays for iWalk produced. They are said to be 384 * 288 pixels of size. This was confirmed by another source as well - we had hoped for a typo as we'd have loved to see a bigger display in iWalk. Nevertheless, this will at least increase chances for iWalk to be affordable, considering Apple's current pricing-strategy (wait - is there one...?)."

Is this about the ipod's screen size? Or is the ipod screen about 150x150 (my guess, as I can't afford one).
Maybe a Newton sized tablet-type deal that could slide into a slot on the imac and auto mount as an additional HD?
e- can go back in time, can you?
Reply
e- can go back in time, can you?
Reply
post #301 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by river-wind:
<strong>whats the ipod screen size?

<a href="http://www.spymac.com" target="_blank">www.spymac.com</a>

"Time will as well tell about iWalk. What we can offer is only that much at the moment: Apple appears to be working very closely with Samsung in order to get the displays for iWalk produced. They are said to be 384 * 288 pixels of size. This was confirmed by another source as well - we had hoped for a typo as we'd have loved to see a bigger display in iWalk. Nevertheless, this will at least increase chances for iWalk to be affordable, considering Apple's current pricing-strategy (wait - is there one...?)."

Is this about the ipod's screen size? Or is the ipod screen about 150x150 (my guess, as I can't afford one).
Maybe a Newton sized tablet-type deal that could slide into a slot on the imac and auto mount as an additional HD?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't TRUST spymac AT ALL! They have a story up about some wireless technology called 'AirSurf' and claiming it is part of the iWalk... Problem is 'AirSurf' was trademarked in 1999 and then it was EXPIRED (marked as DEAD) in 2000. Had those guys taken just two seconds to look up the TM they would have known it!

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #302 of 490
There were pictures of this "iWalk" posted before the iPod was announced and they were fake. Very poorly done.
Stuck in an infinite loop waiting for an Apple PDA...

apple.otaku
Reply
Stuck in an infinite loop waiting for an Apple PDA...

apple.otaku
Reply
post #303 of 490
<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000288" target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000288</a>

There's a very interesting mock-up in the thread above.

Reminds me of something I can't exactly recall.

post #304 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Codename:
<strong><a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000288" target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000288</a>

There's a very interesting mock-up in the thread above.

Reminds me of something I can't exactly recall.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Codename,

I like that design but we have one major problem... A 15" LCD touch screen runs apx $1,000 (or more) and they are pretty dern heavy/thick unless Apple has some way around the price and weight I'm note sure what good the design is.

[edit]

Hmmm my bad... It seems touch screens have indeed come down in price... Given this box from Sony

<a href="http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1018-404-4774062.html" target="_blank">http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1018-404-4774062.html</a>


Dave

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #305 of 490
For what it's worth:

According to CompUSA sales person, he saw the order form for G5s from an Apple rep. Also, the chips will be made by AMD.

No spec info
post #306 of 490
As far as I know, the "order forms" used by any apple reseller has been the online apple store for quite some time now.
Sorry, but sales reps and compUSA employee's are cluless.
├╝berlurker since oct '99
_my backpacks got jets_
Reply
├╝berlurker since oct '99
_my backpacks got jets_
Reply
post #307 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by danho:
<strong>For what it's worth:

According to CompUSA sales person, he saw the order form for G5s from an Apple rep. Also, the chips will be made by AMD.

No spec info </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep that is the chain of command... From Steve's lips to a dude at CompUSA...

Folks don't you get it?!?! Even the people who who WORK FOR APPLE have little or no idea what is going to be announced at MWSF... I know someone who works for Apple and trust me he knows just a tad more than you or I (about some thing) but anything BIG is kept from ALL but those who really NEED to know till the very last possible moment.

Seems crazy?! Yep I think it's crazy too... but that's the way Steve playes the game.

CompUSA does get some 'insidish info' like when products are EOLed (end of lifed) and they might even get one or two days advanced notice to minor product changes (ala Combo drive TIBooks) but knowing about a whole new CPU and then knowing said CPU was being built by AMD?!?!?! Sorry but no way...

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #308 of 490
For what it's worth:

I found this on the Amiga web site (yes, it is still around, and no, I am not an Amiga fanatic):

"I did this with the best intentions but many factors have contributed to this slipping, some bad, such as the financial squeeze, compounded by the September 11 atrocity, some unexpected, such as the announcement of the G5, and some good, such as the advances in the next generation development that have made us rethink our transition."

The important point is that this came from the head of Amiga who should probably know something about an upcoming G5 chip. This seems to imply that it will be coming out sooner than later, but you never know....

<img src="graemlins/hmmm.gif" border="0" alt="[Hmmm]" />
post #309 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Demule:
<strong>"I did this with the best intentions but many factors have contributed to this slipping, some bad, such as the financial squeeze, compounded by the September 11 atrocity, some unexpected, such as the announcement of the G5, and some good, such as the advances in the next generation development that have made us rethink our transition."
</strong><hr></blockquote>

This quote is available from <a href="http://www.amiga.com/corporate/231201-mcewen.shtml" target="_blank">here</a>. It's under the AmigaOS heading, about 50% of the way down the page. It does look rather interesting.

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: whee ]</p>
post #310 of 490
So now 2 developers have mentioned G5s, the VueScan guy and now this. Very interesting indeed. It sounds like the developement for Amiga has slowed because of the G5. Either he got a test box or at least heard about the test boxes and realized he will have to do some re-tooling to the code.

BTW- when was it "announced" ? He mentioned it after the Sept 11th bombings so does that logically mean between Sept 11th and the 23rd (date of the article) it was announced? Insider info or a test box? Moto's roadmap was the announcement? Interesting indeed.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #311 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:
<strong>
Folks don't you get it?!?! Even the people who who WORK FOR APPLE have little or no idea what is going to be announced at MWSF... I know someone who works for Apple and trust me he knows just a tad more than you or I (about some thing) but anything BIG is kept from ALL but those who really NEED to know till the very last possible moment.
</strong><hr></blockquote>


Yeah your right, Steve Jobs builds all the computers himself...
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard.
Reply
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard.
Reply
post #312 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Michael Grey:
<strong>Codename I'd like to introduce you to my friend Jack because, judging from your cryptic posts, it's obvious that you don't know jack.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah good ol' Codena...um I mean PowermacG4.

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</p>
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
post #313 of 490
Whee,

Thanks for the link to the Amiga article. I was just too lazy to include it originally.
post #314 of 490
AMIGA???

HAHHAHAHAAAHHAHhahaaahahaa!

Matsu catches breath...

AHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

Please, Amiga was a pretty good platform, but it's dead, and this is just crap. Perhaps Amiga has a tiny future with an embedded OS type platform for plams/phones/alarm clocks and what not, but it was badly managed and it's dead. Every time I see mention of it in a mac community, I sweat a little. Look forward, not back.
IBL!
Reply
IBL!
Reply
post #315 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Matsu:
<strong>AMIGA???

HAHHAHAHAAAHHAHhahaaahahaa!

Matsu catches breath...

AHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

Please, Amiga was a pretty good platform, but it's dead, and this is just crap. Perhaps Amiga has a tiny future with an embedded OS type platform for plams/phones/alarm clocks and what not, but it was badly managed and it's dead. Every time I see mention of it in a mac community, I sweat a little. Look forward, not back.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's not about the OS persay, it's about the drag in developing the OS due to the announcement of the G5 (and sept 11th)

Trying to figure out how he knows about the G5.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #316 of 490
here's something interesting to think about. if the new imac does indeed have the widescreen 15.2'' LCD screen, imagine REMOVING THE SCREEN AND TURNING IT 90 DEGREES CLOCKWISE and then use a pen for wireless input. you'd have a sheet of legal paper...perfect for reading websites and taking notes. what if the new imac has a switchable display that can be both landscape and portrait? how cool would that be????

"Mac users enjoy a love-hate relationship with Microsoft--in which love is defined as "resigned tolerance" and hate as "lava-hot rancor fueled by the fire of a thousand burning suns."

-Macworld
Reply
"Mac users enjoy a love-hate relationship with Microsoft--in which love is defined as "resigned tolerance" and hate as "lava-hot rancor fueled by the fire of a thousand burning suns."

-Macworld
Reply
post #317 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by koffedrnkr:
<strong>here's something interesting to think about. if the new imac does indeed have the widescreen 15.2'' LCD screen, imagine REMOVING THE SCREEN AND TURNING IT 90 DEGREES CLOCKWISE and then use a pen for wireless input. you'd have a sheet of legal paper...perfect for reading websites and taking notes. what if the new imac has a switchable display that can be both landscape and portrait? how cool would that be????

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I remember those rumors of the iMac with removable screen/tablet and the base is also a airport station.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #318 of 490
I do not think Apple is going to be releasing a tablet/iMac with removable screen/whatever any time soon, because it would flop like the Cube. Think about it. People right now, with whats been going on, are going to want something super cheap and something that they are familiar with. They aren't going off and buying things like this and the tablet/PDA/home appliance market has been suffering.
post #319 of 490
Apple Computer had the G-4 at 2 GHz over a year ago.It all depends if Apple ordered the new chips.
Steve could debut the G-5 in January and the machines would ship in 4-6 wks.Or if production of the Motorola 8500 is slated for the first quarter
of 2002 and the machines to ship in the second quarter.Just in time for the summer.I have a gut feeling they will indeed revamp the G-5 casing design.At MACOSRUMORS they have a good point.
shorter and wider from the front-view.Study the NeXT cube and the Apple cube that failed.It was over priced.But it had a big following.So that
dedacahedron design is probably not too far off.
It would probably open from the rear.With a modular interior design.Made of magnesium and Black.Very futuristic.Very Steve Jobs.Of course it would sell...all the Mac freaks would order one.
With DVD-R and all.Cost would not be the prohibiting factor.Mac freaks would get what they want.
So of course it would sell.Plus a G-5 as a server...Cisco and SiliconGraphics would indeed jump on the band-wagon.The MIPS chip is almost dead.So whether it ships in April or ??? but it will
ship in 2002.Apples stock will be climbing over the coming months.They will not fail.Mark my words.Peace.
post #320 of 490
Apple Computer had the G-4 at 2 GHz over a year ago.It all depends if Apple ordered the new chips.
Steve could debut the G-5 in January and the machines would ship in 4-6 wks.Or if production of the Motorola 8500 is slated for the first quarter
of 2002 and the machines to ship in the second quarter.Just in time for the summer.I have a gut feeling they will indeed revamp the G-5 casing design.At MACOSRUMORS they have a good point.
shorter and wider from the front-view.Study the NeXT cube and the Apple cube that failed.It was over priced.But it had a big following.So that
dedacahedron design is probably not too far off.
It would probably open from the rear.With a modular interior design.Made of magnesium and Black.Very futuristic.Very Steve Jobs.Of course it would sell...all the Mac freaks would order one.
With DVD-R and all.Cost would not be the prohibiting factor.Mac freaks would get what they want.
So of course it would sell.Plus a G-5 as a server...Cisco and SiliconGraphics would indeed jump on the band-wagon.The MIPS chip is almost dead.So whether it ships in April or ??? but it will
ship in 2002.Apples stock will be climbing over the coming months.They will not fail.Mark my words.Peace.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › G5 - The truth