or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › G5 - The truth

G5 - The truth - Page 11

post #401 of 490
What a major disappointment...Apple has the technology and the money.Apple trying to milk the
G-3's and G-4's.Blame Motorola when they have engineers at Apple working on the G-5.So, no G-5 until the Fourth Quarter: Oct.-Nov.-Dec..One complete year away???Holy Mackeral....Maybe for the best... since O/S-X is not complete.Too many patches.I guess we will have 10.5 by then.Not as many head-aches.I wanted a G-5 new case,HyperTransport,Rapid IO,DDR Ram,MPEG-4 on the motherboard,Raycer chip for the O/S,DVD-R,100 Gig HD,N-Vidia 32 Megs VRAM,built-in broad band, etc...Also Dual G-5's at 1.6 GHz Now that is hype.To blow WinDos out of the water.Run circles
around the WinTel platform.But, look at what we will probably get.....alot of hype and the minimum in technology.Apple makes it seem like the year 2000.So... depressing.So many hard-core Mac Aficionados believed
in Apple Computer,Inc...Perhaps...2003, 1st Quarter???Sounds about right.Alot of people are abondoning the Apple platform.That is for sure...no Rumor.
post #402 of 490
If the rumors of a Powermac line topping at 1ghz is true, I sadly think that I'm among those that will leave the Mac platform once and for all.
Even with the problems encountered with Motorola are not the only explanation of the Ghz gap, I think that Apple is responsible as well.
Come on guys, the MOBO for example is a piece of history!!
Even the entry level PC have a better motherboard architecture.
Oh another thing, did you know that the entry level of CPU of Intel now reaches 1.3ghz and use a 0.13 micron process?
even the latest CPU from motorola, the Appolo that is not out on the market yet, still uses a 0.18 micron process
Shame shame shame.....

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Toofeu ]</p>
post #403 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by KidRed:
<strong>

I know what Moto said, I was commenting to the poster above who said MacUser was spot on. If they were why would they be writing about that we already know and not themselves know Apple wouldn't release a 800mhz G5 but they (MU) would say that the G5 would be released in autumn?

Make sence?</strong><hr></blockquote>

KidRed, you're referring to a paragraph in their article that talks about Motorola's processor road map as is, independently of what Apple will do with the product. Apple won't be using 800 G5s in desktops next autumn.
post #404 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:
<strong>El Presidente knows his programming, but sometimes shows definite streaks of ego. I doubt he has any more insight as to reality than one of his brethren shareware programmers--Hamrick.</strong><hr></blockquote>

*ahem*

Hey, that's fine, I'm perfectly willing to be judged after the fact by what ends up being released at MacWorld/SF. If you see a G5 PowerMac there, I will gladly eat significant amounts of humble pie.

However, it isn't going to happen. No developers I know inside or outside of Apple, nor engineers I know at MOT put any credence at all into the G5 appearing until late in 2002 in desktop Macs.

Yes, it is possible they are in the dark too, or are being good and not sharing what information they have. But hey, at least it can't be as bad as <a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20001019021516/http://www.themacjunkie.com/archives/7.18.00.cube.html" target="_blank">this guy's predictions</a>
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.
Carpe Aqua -- Snapz Pro X 2.0.2 for OS X..... Your digital recording device -- WireTap Pro 1.1.0 for OS X
Carpe Aqua -- Snapz Pro X 2.0.2 for OS X..... Your digital recording device -- WireTap Pro 1.1.0 for OS X
post #405 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Renan:
<strong> Alot of people are abondoning the Apple platform.That is for sure...no Rumor.</strong><hr></blockquote>

While that may be true, clearly they then must also be gaining new customers, because their marketshare has been quite steady over the last few years.... which is significantly better than the drain that was happening none too long ago.

We have both Macs and PCs in our office -- we picked up a nice new 1.6ghz Sony Pentium IV box running XP. It isn't significantly faster than a ~800mhz G4 for day to day usage, I don't see what the big deal is. Even the Athlon is having to deal with the MHz disparity issue nowadays.
post #406 of 490
[quote]We have both Macs and PCs in our office -- we picked up a nice new 1.6ghz Sony Pentium IV box running XP. It isn't significantly faster than a ~800mhz G4 for day to day usage, I don't see what the big deal is. Even the Athlon is having to deal with the MHz disparity issue nowadays.<hr></blockquote>

As a vehicle guy, I'm sure you can appreciate the value of max torque vs. the value of max horsepower.

I'm hoping we get a lot more torque...expressed as faster busses, RAM, etc.
marc siry
century city, USA
marc siry
century city, USA
post #407 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by marc_siry:
<strong>

As a vehicle guy, I'm sure you can appreciate the value of max torque vs. the value of max horsepower.

I'm hoping we get a lot more torque...expressed as faster busses, RAM, etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Horsepower is King, but Torque is your Friend.

Give me the horsepower (GHz) and I'll figure out what to do with it.

However, I am pessimistic about a G5 before mid-2002, so I'll take any improvements we can get (DDR, brain wave input device, etc.) until then.
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
post #408 of 490
I, for one, and for no apparent reason, am holding out hope that we will see G4's (perhaps appolos) significantly faster than a gigahertz.

Apple is not going to hype a show like this that allows them to appear that they are still lagging.

Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
post #409 of 490
Motorola has to work its butt off, do you know why? Because it has to, otherwise they are done for. Motorola nearly got dumped by Apple because of the appaling clock rates of the G4 (500Mhz).

So if motorola is to keep on supplying their chips to Apple, then they have to produce the goods, i.e a Powermac G5. The G5 will definitely be out in the first half of 2002. The G5 architecture is good enough so that high clock rates that match the Pentium 4 can be acheived. Apparentely, they successfully tested a G5 at 2.8ghz, but not with good enough yields for introduction to the consumer market (!yet!). However it doesn't mean that the G5 won't reach clock speeds of just above 3Ghz. I say this because the G5's rivals aren't the Pentium 4, or Athlon XP, its rivals are the Intel Itanium, and the Athlon Hammer chip, (the Hammer Chip has supposed to have reached 3.4Ghz, but they are playing the Mhz game now, when Intel have gone the other way, i.e fewer pipelines).

The G5 has to be released, or motorola will be dumped, and Apple will start failing.
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
post #410 of 490
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but I've posted my own personal final predictions for the new desktop lineup at MWSF...based on a combination of three factors:

1. Some amount of realistic expectations;
2. Some amount of pure wishful thinking;
3. Bits & pieces of the assorted rumors flying all over the place:

<a href="http://www.aapltalk.com/shootouts/mwsf2002_speculation.html" target="_blank">http://www.aapltalk.com/shootouts/mwsf2002_speculation.html</a>

Comments welcome, please try & be kind!

--BlueDjinn
post #411 of 490
The G5 better come out. it's been in development for 3 or 4 years or so. Motorola needs to make up for producing the horrible G4 (not really horrible but flawed).

and Apple should be pouring money into the G5 making sure it gets done quick and early. they have 4 billion dollars in cash. pour it into the G5. they need change not a 1 Ghz G4
post #412 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by mattyj:
<strong> I say this because the G5's rivals aren't the Pentium 4, or Athlon XP, its rivals are the Intel Itanium, and the Athlon Hammer chip, (the Hammer Chip has supposed to have reached 3.4Ghz, but they are playing the Mhz game now, when Intel have gone the other way, i.e fewer pipelines).
</strong><hr></blockquote>

The Hammer chips as competitors, certainly, they are AMD's next generation of the x86 anyway, although they are 64 bit, and some are clearly server oriented. The Itanium, however, is a different kettle of fish, it is decidedly a server chip, big and hot and expensive, not a competitor on the desktop in the foreseable future (even if it had decent performance, which it does'nt, has'nt even got up to the clock speeds of the G4.)

Michael
Sintoo, agora non podo falar.
post #413 of 490
Hate to say this, but Moki is pretty damn convincing, and he is in a position to know. However, it's still possible that the secret is to tightly kept for even Moki to hear about it. We'll see soon enough.

My guess is the following:

Powermac G4:
867 MHz
1000 MHz
Dual 933 MHz

That's it. But Jobs will make an ass out of himself by hyping the 1 GHz mark.
post #414 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by moki:
<strong>

While that may be true, clearly they then must also be gaining new customers, because their marketshare has been quite steady over the last few years.... which is significantly better than the drain that was happening none too long ago.

We have both Macs and PCs in our office -- we picked up a nice new 1.6ghz Sony Pentium IV box running XP. It isn't significantly faster than a ~800mhz G4 for day to day usage, I don't see what the big deal is. Even the Athlon is having to deal with the MHz disparity issue nowadays.</strong><hr></blockquote>

day to day use

big deal. my Performa is "just as fast" as my G4 in "day to day use" too.
post #415 of 490
Moto is bleeding red ink and laying people off like crazy. I don't think they are worrying to much about Apple. I don't expect them or Apple to suddenly do much better and have the G5s for Monday.
post #416 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by BlueDjinn:
<strong>Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but I've posted my own personal final predictions for the new desktop lineup at MWSF...based on a combination of three factors:

<a href="http://www.aapltalk.com/shootouts/mwsf2002_speculation.html" target="_blank">http://www.aapltalk.com/shootouts/mwsf2002_speculation.html</a>

--BlueDjinn</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would be happy with yours. It makes sense to include AppleWorks and Quicken to entice the non-Mac user to switch. However, I'm still predicting G4's in iMacs!
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
post #417 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>

day to day use

big deal. my Performa is "just as fast" as my G4 in "day to day use" too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can tell you that I am horribly underwhelmed after 4 months of using a DP800 with a GeForce 3. I cannot agree with the day-to-day use statement, as I use NT machines at work that are older, but still repond to everything much faster.

Apple simply cannot underwhelm the crowd again.
Still waiting for a PowerMac that is a significant jump in performance from current levels.
Still waiting for a PowerMac that is a significant jump in performance from current levels.
post #418 of 490
<strong>Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but I've posted my own personal final predictions for the new desktop lineup at MWSF...based on a combination of three factors:

Had a look, nicely put together, but I would make a few points:

There is no indication that a 1GHz G3 is near volume availability. 512KB L2 indicates the 750FX, which will not be available for some months yet.

1GB of L2 memory on chip would require about 50 million transistors by itself, and dissipate a lot of heat. Also if you have 1MB full speed L2, adding 2MB of (relatively slow about 1/3 speed)L3 would give you very little benefit, at considerable cost.

Maximum memory of 2GB from 4 DIMMs, is silly, 1GB DIMMs are already available and bigger ones will be soon. I expect at least 8GB, probably 16GB limit on the new PowerMacs.

802.11a airport links should be available, why settle for the 802.11b?

ps. Why more than one airport antenna?

Michael
post #419 of 490

Doesn't look that bad, quite realistic, if underwhelming to me.

I agree on keeping one crt iMac (for education and the like), but not at 799. Make that 599. Lower the others by 100/200/300 dollars accordingly, and offer discounts on systems + monitors and systems + iPods.
post #420 of 490

Overall, I think your specs are well thought out. There seems to be adequate differentiation between and within the lines, which in my opinion is the major failing of most other sets of MW predictions.

A few things:
  • iMac Flat processors: It's been rumored that the new LCD iMacs will all have the same processor. This seems likely - it's worked for the iBook, and it makes production cheaper for Apple (especially if it uses Sahara G3's, which apparently aren't going to be super-expensive).
  • RAM: The amounts of RAM you specify are reasonable, but I doubt that Apple would use two sticks in situations where it could use one. It's cheaper to buy one 512 DIMM than two 256 DIMMS. The obvious exception is with 1GB on your high-end G5. This would almost certainly be two 512 DIMMS.
  • Flat iMac FSB: I think all the new iMacs will have the same basic motherboard configuration. If I had to bet, I'd go with your line-up for the high-end model (133MHz).
  • iMac Hard Drives: The current iMac lineup uses 20-40-60. I don't think Apple would downgrade their line to 20-30-40. The solution? Change your iMac line to 20-40-60, and your PM line to 60-80-80-100-100.
  • iMac Flat Video Card: I might be wrong, but I think they'll have the same card. The low end will definately still have a POS like the Rage Ultra, though.
  • USB 2.0: I think the only way we'll see this is if we get Firewire 2.0. Maybe not even then. USB 2.0 competes with Firwire 1.0 in terms of speed.
  • I'd flip the prices for your low-end PM and your high-end iMac. Unless a Superdrive is somehow involved (unlikely with a G3, IMO) I don't think Apple will raise the iMac's price above the low-end PM. I think 1499 for the iMac, 1599 for the PM.

Things I really like about your lineup:
  • Well, G5's, of course.
  • 2 large drive bays on PM's.
  • AppleWorks 7. About damn time. And on PM's, too, thank God.
  • GeForce2 MX on iMacs (finally), and GF3's standard on PM G5's.
  • A two-button scroll wheel mouse - but wouldn't it be on all models?

All in all, your predictions are reasonable & well thought out, though they clearly reside on the optimistic end of the spectrum. However, AI seems to have a positive buzz lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're right come Jan 7.

cheers.

-mithral
The crowd goes wild! It thinks you're terrific.
The crowd goes wild! It thinks you're terrific.
post #421 of 490
<strong>What a major disappointment...Apple has the technology and the money.Apple trying to milk the
G-3's and G-4's.Blame Motorola when they have engineers at Apple working on the G-5.So, no G-5 until the Fourth Quarter: Oct.-Nov.-Dec..One complete year away???Holy Mackeral....Maybe for the best... since O/S-X is not complete.Too many patches.I guess we will have 10.5 by then.Not as many head-aches.I wanted a G-5 new case,HyperTransport,Rapid IO,DDR Ram,MPEG-4 on the motherboard,Raycer chip for the O/S,DVD-R,100 Gig HD,N-Vidia 32 Megs VRAM,built-in broad band, etc...Also Dual G-5's at 1.6 GHz Now that is hype.To blow WinDos out of the water.Run circles
around the WinTel platform.But, look at what we will probably get.....alot of hype and the minimum in technology.Apple makes it seem like the year 2000.So... depressing.So many hard-core Mac Aficionados believed
in Apple Computer,Inc...Perhaps...2003, 1st Quarter???Sounds about right.Alot of people are abondoning the Apple platform.That is for sure...no Rumor.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Renan - so you're saying that Apple is the bad guy and is to blame for no G5s. Apple could do it, but Apple is greedy and doesn't want to. THAT MAKES NO SENSE! Who is making out because of this greed? If Apple was making so much money using that strategy, why haven't they bought Microsoft yet? Why is the stock stuck at $20? Don't you think Apple would sell more Macs and make more money if they stuck in a G5?

Earth to Renan - G4's have been stuck and the G5 hasn't appeared yet because they are built by MEN (or WOMEN), not Gods. It's not greed, it's the technical challenge!

Now as far as your unsubstantiated claims - "too many patches" and "abandoning Mac's" - BACK IT UP!

But I'm with you on wanting G5s and DDR. I want G4's in iMacs too! But greed is not the issue.
-JD
-JD
post #422 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:
<strong>But Jobs will make an ass out of himself by hyping the 1 GHz mark. </strong><hr></blockquote>

you said it JYD. if steve-o shows up with a single GHZ G4 he will be buried right there on the stage by a huge swell a of rotting fruit!!! (apples anyone??)

so... if he shows up on monday wearing a knight´s armament we´ll know what to expect in the very first second.
Unless this is a nude love-in, get the hell off of my property!
Unless this is a nude love-in, get the hell off of my property!
post #423 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:
<strong>Hate to say this, but Moki is pretty damn convincing, and he is in a position to know. However, it's still possible that the secret is to tightly kept for even Moki to hear about it. We'll see soon enough.

My guess is the following:

Powermac G4:
867 MHz
1000 MHz
Dual 933 MHz

That's it. But Jobs will make an ass out of himself by hyping the 1 GHz mark. </strong><hr></blockquote>

JYD - You are so right IF YOUR PREDICTION IS CORRECT. But my bet is that your prediction will be blown away on Monday.

However .... if your prediction is correct, we'll be blown away by some other products. (Is that covering myself, or what?)
-JD
-JD
post #424 of 490
God, I can't believe I waded thru this whole thread.

Anyway, FWIW, I'll give you some background on a few people in this thread:

Dorsal (or in this case Dorsal M) - is generally regarded by the old school AI as informed.

Powermac G4 (or Codename) - was, back in 2000, regarded as informed. He became more elusive when he was roundly criticized, and split for a while. Then he came back, but just mostly toyed with people. Personally, I love the new Nostradamus style codename.

Junkyard Dawg - has always been and always will be a pest with nothing to add informatively, just a vague grudge against Apple for not catering to his needs for a $99 computer that is bigger and badder than the other teenies on his block.

SdC, the old school IJ and ATV and dozens of others I can't remember, who was generally regarded as a jerk by some people, and occassionally funny, and who also had no inside information and was constantly wrong on his predictions
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
post #425 of 490
[quote] JYD - You are so right IF YOUR PREDICTION IS CORRECT. But my bet is that your prediction will be blown away on Monday.
<hr></blockquote>

Please understand, I sincerely want Mr. Jobs to make an ass out of ME on Monday! I want to be blown away. But I'm not counting on it. In fact, I don't recall a single Macworld expo that has blown me away, or even surprised me.

Even when Apple announces a new product with the potential to blow me away, they always, always, fu[k it up in some way. For example:

Cube: it was the perfect headless iMac, but the price left me reeling. A cube at 999 would have floored me, and I would have bought one. Instead the cube made me alternate between laughing and crying.

Titanium: Definitely had the potential to blow me away, but glaring defects turned it into a disappointment: video card sucked, the motherboard was pitiful, and the CPU speed was no higher than the Pismo's. A full year later, the Titanium is the laptop that Apple SHOULD have released at MWSF 01.

iBook: I must admit that this ALMOST blew me away, because of it's value. But the tiny display and lack of audio input left me only impressed, and not "blown away".

So for this expo, I expect nothing different from recent expos. The new iMac will have one or more glaring flaws that make it ALMOST great (it's beginning to look like it will totally lack in value). The Powermacs will not offer anything exciting. The laptops probably won't be updated, or if they are, it will be with ultra-lame 100 MHz speed bumps. And finally, a digital device won't blow me away, because I don't need one. Paper and pencil work fine, and if I want computing power, than I'll get a laptop. Understand, Apple?
post #426 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:
<strong>God, I can't believe I waded thru this whole thread.

Anyway, FWIW, I'll give you some background on a few people in this thread:

Dorsal (or in this case Dorsal M) - is generally regarded by the old school AI as informed.

Powermac G4 (or Codename) - was, back in 2000, regarded as informed. He became more elusive when he was roundly criticized, and split for a while. Then he came back, but just mostly toyed with people. Personally, I love the new Nostradamus style codename.

Junkyard Dawg - has always been and always will be a pest with nothing to add informatively, just a vague grudge against Apple for not catering to his needs for a $99 computer that is bigger and badder than the other teenies on his block.

SdC, the old school IJ and ATV and dozens of others I can't remember, who was generally regarded as a jerk by some people, and occassionally funny, and who also had no inside information and was constantly wrong on his predictions</strong><hr></blockquote>

My take:

PowerMac G4 might have been informed. But, he was also the most idiotic liberal I have ever seen.

Dorsal is informed indeed.

JD is entertaining in the least. But, he wants what I want...a decent pro machine for a decent price, not one that lacks specs and costs a fortune.

I have been here since Feb 2000 and not heard any of those other names....

Oh, and BTW, my predictions are based on nothing but the available info and rumor, and mixed with intuition.....and at the risk of sounding like an arrogant ass...they have been right most of the time (I blew the Pismo casing but I think we all expected a new enclosure on that one). I said no G5 and no new iMac at MWNY....and so on....

Once again:]EDITED AFTER FURTHER CONSIDERATION

PM G5

(Either 1.0-1.4GHZ or 1.2-1.6GHZ.)
60, 80, 100GB
1.2, 1.4, 1.6, Dual 1.4
DDR 266
Radeon 7500, Radeon 7500, Radeon 8500, and Geforce4 on top
Superdrive on all but bottom
Airport standard on 1.6 and dual 1.4.

$1699, $2499, $2999, $3499

I am also saying that the possibility of 1.0-1.4GHZ G4's exists. It is my second guess though. There are many possibilites if that happens..including dual procs on all but the bottom.

iMac
15" CRT, 15" LCD, 15" LCD
40, 60, 80GB
800ish MHZ G3, 933MHZ G4, 1GHZ G4 (approx speeds)
CDRW, CDRW/DVD, SuperDrive
PC133

$799, $1299, $1599

Leftovers of old iMacs sold for awhile....probably in Education....$599-799

ibook: Speed Bump at MWTKO

PowerBook: Tough one. I'll say...Apollo G4 @MWTKO (867, 933).

iPod: No change other than possible software update.

iPhoto: Free Download

Various other software announcements, updates on sales, etc...

"One More Thing": I will confess to not knowing what to say here. But, I am not convinced of a new digital device. Overall, though, the possibilites (in order of likelihood) are:

1) Some type of long range AirPort.

2) DVD/CD/.mp3/Tivo box with Airport. Plays and records DVD's like a VCR. Plays .mp3's through your home stereo.

3) OSX on x86

4) iNewton---That's right. I think OSX on x86 is more likely. Steve Jobs himself has all but denied it.

5) Merger/Buyout with Sony/Disney.

There is another possibility. That being, no digital device. Instead, I think it is possible that the breakthrough might be ridiculous G5 clock speeds. I am talking about 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 GHZ...or higher.

If they released something like that there would be a whole lot of "Holy Shit" threads around here.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #427 of 490
If the G5 is not released until summer, I've been thinking that the jump from a single processer G4 at approx. 1.2GHz to a G5 at the same (or higher) frequency is going to be tremendous. So, is it possible Apple could release all dual processer G4's with DDR at this MWSF '02 so the jump in processer power when the G5 is finally released won't be too dramatic? Maybe...

Just some random thoughts.

- Mark
post #428 of 490
What I was trying to state is that Motorola had a PowerPC in their Laboratory at 2 GHz / Year 2000 over One Year Ago....This is 2002...Are you saying
that Motorola being Top-notch cannot produce a processor over 1.6 Ghz?For that matter a G-5?We are talking about Multi- Billion Dollar Companies.
So, it is not available because the technology is not there???This is the U.S we are talking about.
Not Honduras.
post #429 of 490
<strong>What I was trying to state is that Motorola had a PowerPC in their Laboratory at 2 GHz / Year 2000 over One Year Ago....This is 2002...Are you saying
that Motorola being Top-notch cannot produce a processor over 1.6 Ghz?For that matter a G-5?We are talking about Multi- Billion Dollar Companies.
So, it is not available because the technology is not there???This is the U.S we are talking about.
Not Honduras.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly. The problems were not in design but in Fab. The tech is there...I really think some serious ass kickin' speeds could be a'comin'
post #430 of 490
[quote] Junkyard Dawg - has always been and always will be a pest with nothing to add informatively, just a vague grudge against Apple for not catering to his needs for a $99 computer that is bigger and badder than the other teenies on his block.
<hr></blockquote>

You don't even know me, bitch.

I offer some damn good insight here, more than I've seen coming from you. You post some dumb-ass threads on handheld crap that you dream about so you can show off to your friends...am I getting warm?

I own a Powermac G4 400MHz, and I have no plans on upgrading anytime soon, because my Powermac is fine for my needs. In fact when I bought it, it was a discontinued model, so I got it for only $1100. Pretty good deal, huh? And no, I'm sorry to say that this doesn't dovetail very well with your accusations of me wanting the biggest, baddest computer on the block.

If Apple released 1.6 GHz G5s, I wouldn't buy one until a year later, when I could get a good deal on a discontinued model, and the new G5s were at 2 Ghz.

I'm interested in value, not raw performance. I'm not cheap, otherwise I would have bought an iMac.

Finally, I have a grudge against Apple for ripping people off with lame-ass hardware. That's it. I love OS X.

Of interesting note, is that unless I'm provoked I don't get bitchy about other posters here. You, on the other hand, are a mean person. And mean people suck.
post #431 of 490
bullshit. you are just a poor man's excuse to attempt some sort of neo-populism here at AI to cover your pitiful shortcomings as a human being IRL.

SdC
post #432 of 490
I believe they are coming, and will be disappointed if they are not...maybe I'm setting myself up for a big letdown, but that's just my feeling.

--Alexis
post #433 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:
PM G5

Either 1 to 1.4 GHZ or 1.2 to 1.6 GHZ
60, 80, 100GB
Dual on top end.
DDR 266
Radeon 7500, Radeon 8500
SuperDrive on all.

I am also saying that the possibility of 1.0-1.4GHZ G4's exists. It is my second guess though.

iMac
15" LCD and 15" CRT for low end
800MHZ G3, 900MHZ G3, 1.0GHZ G4 (7450)
40, 60, 80GB
CD-RW, CD-RW/DVD, SuperDrive
PC 133

Leftovers of old iMacs sold for awhile....probably in Education....

ibook: Speed Bump at MWTKO

PowerBook: Tough one. I'll say...Apollo G4 @MWTKO (867, 933).

iPod: No change other than possible software update.

iPhoto: Free Download

Various other software announcements, updates on sales, etc...

"One More Thing": I will confess to not knowing what to say here. But, I am not convinced of a new digital device. Overall, though, the possibilites (in order of likelihood) are:

1) Some type of long range AirPort.

2) DVD/CD/.mp3/Tivo box with Airport. Plays and records DVD's like a VCR. Plays .mp3's through your home stereo.

3) OSX on x86

4) iNewton---That's right. I think OSX on x86 is more likely. Steve Jobs himself has all but denied it.

5) Merger/Buyout with Sony/Disney.

There is another possibility. That being, no digital device. Instead, I think it is possible that the breakthrough might be ridiculous G5 clock speeds. I am talking about 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 GHZ...or higher.

If they released something like that there would be a whole lot of "Holy Shit" threads around here.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]<hr></blockquote>

Good predictions. I have a few questions/comments:

PMG5:

When you say "dual on top end", do you mean the middle chip dual and the high end single? (like now) Or the fastest chip dual?

The Radeons I think will be BTO if the GeForce 4 is demoed "first for the mac" again. If not, you are probably right. I'd say 50% chance of this happening.

I feel that the super drive will only be on the top 2 models IF there is no superdrive in the iMac. If there is a superdrive iMac, then we will see superdrive accross the board (like you have it)

iMacs:

I think the middle model will be 866 or 933 not 900. Also there is a good chance it will be G4, unless Apple really wants to give the high end model a huge price increase over the middle model.

The high end will have an apollo G4. It is cheaper and cooler (temp, not cool although that applies as well...).

If there is a superdrive, there will NOT be a slot-loading drive accross the line, for better or worse. (I personally don't like them.)

iBook

There is a chance that high end iBook will get an 8x combo-drive, although if you are going to update one, why not update all of them in MWTKO?

One more thing?

NO WAY OS X is ported to intel chips.

I'd switch #4 and #5, with all this hype, a merger or partnership is more likely then the iPDA.

I'd also add the Tablet in there at #3 too.

Other then these minor qualms, I'd say you have some very nice predictions. I hope you are right!

-Paul

P.S. Why didn't you speculate about price?
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #434 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by jwdawso:
<strong>

JYD - You are so right IF YOUR PREDICTION IS CORRECT. </strong><hr></blockquote>

And if the Pirates had won all the games they wom and won all the games they lost, they would have won a lot of games.

BTW, you gotta give JYD some credit...he knows who to get himself known. If he stopped posting I guarantee there would be a thread in two weeks "where is JYD?" Now if I or 80% of the other poster here stopped posting, no one would even notice.
post #435 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by psantora:
<strong>

Good predictions. I have a few questions/comments:

PMG5:

When you say "dual on top end", do you mean the middle chip dual and the high end single? (like now) Or the fastest chip dual?

The Radeons I think will be BTO if the GeForce 4 is demoed "first for the mac" again. If not, you are probably right. I'd say 50% chance of this happening.

I feel that the super drive will only be on the top 2 models IF there is no superdrive in the iMac. If there is a superdrive iMac, then we will see superdrive accross the board (like you have it)

iMacs:

I think the middle model will be 866 or 933 not 900. Also there is a good chance it will be G4, unless Apple really wants to give the high end model a huge price increase over the middle model.

The high end will have an apollo G4. It is cheaper and cooler (temp, not cool although that applies as well...).

If there is a superdrive, there will NOT be a slot-loading drive accross the line, for better or worse. (I personally don't like them.)

iBook

There is a chance that high end iBook will get an 8x combo-drive, although if you are going to update one, why not update all of them in MWTKO?

One more thing?

NO WAY OS X is ported to intel chips.

I'd switch #4 and #5, with all this hype, a merger or partnership is more likely then the iPDA.

I'd also add the Tablet in there at #3 too.

Other then these minor qualms, I'd say you have some very nice predictions. I hope you are right!

-Paul

P.S. Why didn't you speculate about price?</strong><hr></blockquote>

1. I would go with the duals being the middle MHZ speed....let me amend that prediction, it could be: 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.4 dual (four models instead of three)....I'm going to change that now.

2. Radeons...who knows. To be honest it is a minor point with me. I do think Steve is forgiving ATI as we speak though.

3. Agreed on SuperDrive.

4. 866 and 933 if 133MHZ BUS and RAM. Your probably right. I think it is, again, a minor point. Either way, those approx. speeds are what is needed.

5. Apollo: Probably right. In fact, a PM G5 would strengthen the case for all but the bottom iMac getting a G4....I'm going to change that as well.

6. "If there is a superdrive, there will NOT be a slot-loading drive accross the line, for better or worse. (I personally don't like them.)"

---Not sure about that. There might be....with the expcetion of the SD itself.

7. "There is a chance that high end iBook will get an 8x combo-drive, although if you are going to update one, why not update all of them in MWTKO?"

---No drive improvement IMO. Speed boost and possible colors.

8. One MoreThing: Well, by the time we get to number 4 and 5 I don't think the order matters anymore. Still mildly disagree though. OSX on Intel could happen....though I doubt it. That is why it so far down.

9. Price: See edit above in about 5 mins....

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
post #436 of 490
do people still think that Dorsal M was full of crap when he was talking about a hardware map, as well as secret meetings as to the new apple hardware?

stop and think about how much they're hyping this expo. this hype goes well beyond the norm, and fits in to place perfectly with what Dorsal M was saying weeks ago. the behavior he was talking about at apple was very unusual and we all thought he was full of crap for it.

now it looks like his strange info about apple's behavior falls right into place with their current hype.

something to think about considering he gave us that info more than a month ago.

-alcimedes
post #437 of 490
I have hopes for a G5 but I am not figuring it will happen.

Anything short of a 1.4 GHZ G4 would be a disaster.

Here is what I would like to see.

1 GHZ, 1.2 GHZ, 1.4 GHZ G4's
256, 256, 512 MB ram
60, 80, 100 GB HD's
Super drive (combo likely), super drive, superdrive
Ge Force 2 MX, Ge Force 2 MX, Ge Force 3
400 MHZ bus
DDR ram
Fire Wire 2
New case design
$1699.00, 2499.00, 3299.00

No duals due to not having enough chips.
post #438 of 490
One would think Dorsal M would be saying something about now as well....
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #439 of 490
[quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:
<strong>do people still think that Dorsal M was full of crap when he was talking about a hardware map, as well as secret meetings as to the new apple hardware?
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nothing Dorsal said tells us whether the G5, or even high speed G4s, will be announced tomorrow. What he does say is actually a bit more interesting -- Apple is working on substantial architectural changes. Again, nothing about this MW. The technical details he gives aren't out-of-line, but they also aren't highly detailed so its hard to nitpick.

I have no reason to doubt everything posted by Dorsal M in this thread (3 messages, I think?). We know Apple & Moto have been working on the G5 for a couple of years, and we know that the Apollo is coming soon. DDR memory is expected, as well as changes to the available I/O systems. None of this is surprising. Even the re-posted messages from earlier this year are reasonable -- it is widely thought that Apple pulled back at the last minute from a much more substantive update to the PowerMac line.

At least one person criticized because they couldn't believe he wouldn't know about secret prototypes, and then suddenly would know about them. Clearly that person hasn't worked in the corporate environment with NDA and "need to know" situations -- it happens all the time.

Dorsal M's messages are interesting and may very well be accurate. Do they tell us anything about tomorrow's Stevenote? No. Does whatever Apple is hyping have to be about the machines Dorsal M has written? No. Apple has an R&D pipeline and there is always stuff in testing that isn't ready to come to market yet. Does the fact that Dorsal M hasn't posted anything else mean anything? Other than that he might be put off by all the crap in this thread, no.

Did this reply add any content to this thread? Probably not.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #440 of 490
haha. So what are you saying then Programmer?
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › G5 - The truth