or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › MATLAB on OS X petition

MATLAB on OS X petition

post #1 of 4
I have started a petition to the Mathworks, Inc. to release a version of MATLAB for OS X. It can be found at <a href="http://www.PetitionOnline.com/matlabx/petition.html" target="_blank">http://www.PetitionOnline.com/matlabx/petition.html</a>

Mathworks discontinued Macintosh support for MATLAB a few years ago and many MATLAB users were forced to switch to Linux or Windows. I asked the founder of Mathworks over a year ago why they stopped supporting the Mac. He said that the Mac versions of MATLAB needed to be tested 'by hand' with an engineer on a Macintosh. The other versions could be tested automatically on a local network. In other words, they could not justify the costs of Macintosh support considering the size of the user base.

Given that MacOS X is similar to many of the systems they support, it seems that their reason for not supporting the OS is no longer valid. MacOS X allows remote login and running scripts from a terminal is trivial.

If you are a Macintosh user, a MATLAB user, or both, and would like to see this product on MacOS X, please sign the petition and spread the word.
post #2 of 4
Here's why Matlab management will probably not address this:

Matlab has more or less decided that pursuing a Java version of Matlab is sufficient a solution to this problem. While it isn't the same finesse product a full blown OS X native version would be, it is the most efficient usage of their engineering resources.

This is not what I think. This is what I think they think.
post #3 of 4
YYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!

Everyone should sign the petition and spread the word!!!!!

MatLab for OS X is so important!!
post #4 of 4
If you wish to state your opinion that The MathWorks should develop a version of Matlab for OS X please email The MathWorks at suggest@mathworks.com. The opinions of our customers carries considerable weight when planning for the future.

There you go. Now you can all preech to them on why OS X will make such a wonderful platform for Matlab compared to OS 9.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › MATLAB on OS X petition