or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › i've been defrauded
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

i've been defrauded

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
i bought some cds from a guy and he's run off with my cash. he lives in the uk. do i call my local police? and or the internet fraund center?
post #2 of 20
Where from? eBay?
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
the guy is an ebayer but it was an non-ebay sale, i've done so many non-ebay transactions i can't remember and have never been screwed but this time i have been
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by burningwheel
i bought some cds from a guy and he's run off with my cash. he lives in the uk. do i call my local police? and or the internet fraund center?

I fear , but I am not a specialist, that you can't do nothing against this bad guy.
post #5 of 20
How did you pay him?

If you paid by PayPal or a credit card you will have some sort of buyer protection/insurance.

Do you have his address? A few of us could meet up and rough him up
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
thanks for the offer Jambo, i do have his address but it didn't show up on the UK address finding site i used

actually the guy's phone number who he gave me, said i can file a report with my local police dept, i've heard of this before, but i'm not sure you can, i need to check. also i'm going to file a complaint with the internet fraud center, if they ever fix their site



i paid with cash, but i've never had problem before this. apparently he screwed a bunch of people according to the guy who is at the nmber that he gave
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
well he lives in the UK and I acutally found the police department's website in his city and filed a complaint
post #8 of 20
I just flew in today and at the airport this guy with a nice suit comes up to me as I get off the phone and hurriedly asks me "excuse me, do you speak english? can you help me?

I say yes, and he starts excusing himself but, he just got his briefcase lost and works for Credit Suisse Investment Bank and his wife and daughters are waiting upstairs aaaaaand...

Anyway, he wants to ask for any amount of money I can advance to him and he would be willing to give me his "hermes" belt or 2000euro watch as guarantee that he would pay me back the amount lent... and that I would get a nice hermes tie as a present...

The thing that really struck me was a) he says "Don't worry, I'm Jewish, I can be trusted" and b) I look down, and the guy (who has a relatively nice pin-strike suit on) has a pair of REALLY beatup, dirty sneakers.

Alarm bells are already ringing, but now they're off the scale. The watch and belt (with a big "H") are obvious fakes upon secondary looks, and the "Jewish" remark just was messed up.

Anyway, I ask him which branch of Credit Suisse he works for, he says "Zurich main office" at which I promptly look surprised and say "Oh wow! Thats great, you must know "Bob" then! Great guy isn't he?"... he looks at me a bit awkward, replies "yeah, great guy"... and understands that he better get lost before I get him arrested.

Upon arriving to my train to get into town 2 minutes later, I went up to the "friendly" police officers and told them story. They suddenly had a gleam of mild amusement and started thanking me and radioing their colleagues.

I think I provided the Paris Charles de Gaulle police department with a fun evening.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Reply
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Reply
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by burningwheel
i paid with cash, but i've never had problem before this. apparently he screwed a bunch of people according to the guy who is at the nmber that he gave

I still don't understand...you paid cash?

You met him online and then you sent cash via snailmail but he never delivered the CDs? Is that it?
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by burningwheel
i bought some cds from a guy and he's run off with my cash. he lives in the uk. do i call my local police? and or the internet fraund center?


I made an order in the UK on the web once and then canceled. I got all kinds of cell phone charges on my credit card in the UK.

The CC company contacted me right away and they took care of it.

There are a LOT of flaky businesses and hackers in the UK.
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
i just heard back from the police in this guy's city and they are looking into it
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by MACchine

There are a LOT of flaky businesses and hackers in the UK.

Or...

A lot of gullible Americans?
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
I still don't understand...you paid cash?

You met him online and then you sent cash via snailmail but he never delivered the CDs? Is that it?

yeah through eBay, he had good feedback, i do this all the time but i got burned this time unless the police catch him. this is the only non-eBay transaction that went bad. in general 99.9 of the people i have dealt with are good honest people. but i will say that all those other non-ebay transactions, i used paypal, so i was somewhat protected. i used to buy lots of records from a guy who used to advertise in Record Collector magazine (UK), i sent him lots of cash over years, no problems. I guess i have a lot of trust in people in general

i know they say don't sent cash through the mail but i've never had a problem sending or receiving cash. one guy even sent me close to $1 in change plus some bills and i still got it, i couldn't beleive it!
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by MACchine
I made an order in the UK on the web once and then canceled. I got all kinds of cell phone charges on my credit card in the UK.

The CC company contacted me right away and they took care of it.

There are a LOT of flaky businesses and hackers in the UK.

my wife bought something through kagi i think or a similar company, it was hacked into we later found out and then we started getting charges for porn sites

i don't consder myself gullible \
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
How did you pay him?

If you paid by PayPal or a credit card you will have some sort of buyer protection/insurance.

Do you have his address? A few of us could meet up and rough him up

uh uh... can i come too?8) ive been screwed out of money also, so i dont care if you guys dont let me kick the arse, but youll need an EMT there to patch him up, wont you??? besides, im not one for fighting, but if theres a fight, and i dont feel bad or theres no huge advantage over the lil guy, then ill stand by and watch... can i come too?
Lone Wolf
Reply
Lone Wolf
Reply
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by burningwheel
my wife bought something through kagi i think or a similar company, it was hacked into we later found out and then we started getting charges for porn sites
......

well, good that that story worked with the wife, we on appleInsider don't buy it though

nice one

"uhhh... yeah honey, someone hacked into your credit card, i've never heard of any analgangbangers.com....."

nah it's cool mate, just messing with you...
credit card fraud is very annoying when it happens to you...
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by ragingloogie
uh uh... can i come too?8) ive been screwed out of money also, so i dont care if you guys dont let me kick the arse, but youll need an EMT there to patch him up, wont you??? besides, im not one for fighting, but if theres a fight, and i dont feel bad or theres no huge advantage over the lil guy, then ill stand by and watch... can i come too?

wtf? you want to watch someone get beat up so that you can then give them first aid? freaky
post #18 of 20
well if they diserve the beating, then sure... but it would be against me to not give first aid... so i would... just look at it for another chance for the victims to get their anger out on that guy who ran w/ their cash...
Lone Wolf
Reply
Lone Wolf
Reply
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
well, good that that story worked with the wife, we on appleInsider don't buy it though

nice one

"uhhh... yeah honey, someone hacked into your credit card, i've never heard of any analgangbangers.com....."

nah it's cool mate, just messing with you...
credit card fraud is very annoying when it happens to you...

nice 1 hahahaha
i'll keep that excuse in mind lol
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by MACchine
I made an order in the UK on the web once and then canceled. I got all kinds of cell phone charges on my credit card in the UK.

That 's why I only ever pay by PayPal as the seller has no access to your c/c details.

- T. I.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) / 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 500GB SSD
Reply
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) / 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 500GB SSD
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › i've been defrauded