or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to film new TV ads in Ames room
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to film new TV ads in Ames room

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Apple Computer is preparing to film a new set of television ad spots that will be set in an Ames room where people or objects can appear to grow or shrink when moving from one corner to the other, an interview with a well known director has revealed.

In an interview with The Huffington Post, an internet publication run by a second-year student at Harvard Law School, Errol Morris reveals that he has been contracted by Apple to produce a new set of television commercials.

A widely admired director and producer of documentary films such as The Fog of War, Morris was also responsible for directing Apple's 2002 "Real People" ad campaign, which featured stories from real people who had switched from PCs to the Macintosh.

"Im doing some more ads for [Apple]," Morris said in the June 2005 interview. "I have to go back to LA to shoot more commercials." He implies that Apple will shoot the ads inside an Ames room, which is currently under construction out in Los Angeles, Calif.

An Ames room, named after the American ophthalmologist Adelbert Ames, Jr., is constructed in such a way that a person seen walking about the room appears to be growing and shrinking rather than approaching and receding.

The trick behind an Ames room is that it appears cubic when viewed monocularly from a special viewing point but its true shape is actually trapezoidal.

"Ive always wanted to shoot in an Ames room and now were going to," Morris said.

It's unclear which of Apple's products the new ads will target, but recent rumors imply that Apple may be gearing up to produce its first Mac-centric television ads in years.
post #2 of 18
About time they get going with ad spots for computers. They should reassure the public about the switch to Intel.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
post #3 of 18
Methinks they're going to announce something really big...no wait, something really small...big, small, big...damn you Ames!

Not sure why this would point to a Mac add, seems more inline with iPod ads.
post #4 of 18
Is this really the appropriate time to start an advertising campaign? We're in the midst of a transition that could result in a myriad of soured experiences and consumer perception issues. Sure, Apple wants it to be seamless...
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by JonE
Is this really the appropriate time to start an advertising campaign? We're in the midst of a transition that could result in a myriad of soured experiences and consumer perception issues. Sure, Apple wants it to be seamless...

They should probably halt production, clear the channel and stop selling computers until the Intel based hardware is ready. This is the only way to make it seamless...

Or they could build a crazy compatibility layer in to the OS and name it Rosetta. They could also consider some sort of universal-like binary format that could install on PowerPC and Intel based hardware. Maybe even add an option to Xcode that makes it easy to make these Universal binary thingies. No way. That would be to difficult.
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
Reply
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
Reply
post #6 of 18
WiMacx media from there --> YOU.

Either that or they have perfected the transporter.



Actually it could be 3D TV !!!
post #7 of 18
Its an iPod commercial. Obviously, because Apple marketing doesn't know they sell computers.

Or it'll be a computer commercial, and everyone here will hate it, because they don't talk about how cool the OS is, or how much easier it is then Windows, or its virus free, or any of a thousand other things people who aren't marketing people think should be said, shown, etc, because they know what works ("Why don't they say that you can open 1000 finder windows in 10 seconds?")
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by fahlman
They should probably halt production, clear the channel and stop selling computers until the Intel based hardware is ready. This is the only way to make it seamless...

Or they could build a crazy compatibility layer in to the OS and name it Rosetta. They could also consider some sort of universal-like binary format that could install on PowerPC and Intel based hardware. Maybe even add an option to Xcode that makes it easy to make these Universal binary thingies. No way. That would be to difficult.

Yeah...thanks for that completely uncalled-for kneejerk twaddle (I was merely adding to the discussion), I bet it truly felt great to deliver those lines. But everyone already knows that stuff. My concern is with average consumer perception, and the transparency of the transition. It is naive to think that all of this will go off without a hitch anywhere in sight (Rosetta isn't all it's cracked up to be), people may not eye PPCs with the same value anymore, and there is going to be some inevitable market confusion. I would have welcomed Mac ads with open arms previously, but now I am naturally a bit apprehensive.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
Its an iPod commercial.

Yeah. Larger hard drives or their iPod Mini. It looks small but its big where it counts.
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
Reply
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
Reply
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by JonE
Yeah...thanks for that completely uncalled-for kneejerk twaddle (I was merely adding to the discussion), I bet it truly felt great to deliver those lines. But everyone already knows that stuff. My concern is with average consumer perception, and the transparency of the transition. It is naive to think that all of this will go off without a hitch anywhere in sight (Rosetta isn't all it's cracked up to be), people may not eye PPCs with the same value anymore, and there is going to be some inevitable market confusion. I would have welcomed Mac ads with open arms previously, but now I am naturally a bit apprehensive.

I dissagree. I think it is importaunt to calm the frears some have about the change. People will respect an honest assesment of the situation. I dont't think i will be too bad. Maybe the worst thing will be the lack of support for classic applications.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
post #11 of 18
Perhaps there's a new "switcher", switching from iPod to matching iMac.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
post #12 of 18
The first thing I thought of was that the commercial would be Mac OS X related. The effect of the Ames room is somewhat like the effect of scrolling over the dock.
post #13 of 18
Recent developments (well, it took a while for me to get registered, so they're not so recent anymore) indicate this article would have been better suited for publication on "QuakerOatsInsider" than "AppleInsider"... ;-)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/noah-helpern/the-huffpost-interview-_2610.html

"The Ames room Errol Morris describes is for an upcoming, but separate, campaign for Quaker Oats."
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by Allerbe
Recent developments (well, it took a while for me to get registered, so they're not so recent anymore) indicate this article would have been better suited for publication on "QuakerOatsInsider" than "AppleInsider"... ;-)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblo...iew-_2610.html

"The Ames room Errol Morris describes is for an upcoming, but separate, campaign for Quaker Oats."

Damn! How did you know I was busy working on a site devoted to Quaker Oats rumors??!

God. Now I've got to change everything. Maybe I should go more specific: Cocoa Pebbles Insider? Post, not Kellogg's, Raisin Bran Insider?

Or maybe more broad: Grits Insider.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #15 of 18
Quote:
How did you know I was busy working on a site devoted to Quaker Oats rumors??!

It was all over InsiderSitesInsider...
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by Allerbe
It was all over InsiderSitesInsider...

Grr. DAMN YOU INSIDERSITESINSIDER! You and you're stupid meta-ness! I blame you for the failure of Crazy Crazy Apple Rumors Site Rumors Site!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Grr. DAMN YOU INSIDERSITESINSIDER! You and you're stupid meta-ness! I blame you for the failure of Crazy Crazy Apple Rumors Site Rumors Site!

Well what do you EXPECT they openly admit their crew is on CRACK !!!
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
Its an iPod commercial. Obviously, because Apple marketing doesn't know they sell computers.

Or it'll be a computer commercial, and everyone here will hate it, because they don't talk about how cool the OS is, or how much easier it is then Windows, or its virus free, or any of a thousand other things people who aren't marketing people think should be said, shown, etc, because they know what works ("Why don't they say that you can open 1000 finder windows in 10 seconds?")

OooooO !

iPods are getting WiMacxs !!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to film new TV ads in Ames room