or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple says goodbye to single processor PowerPC Power Macs

Apple says goodbye to single processor PowerPC Power Macs

post #1 of 38
I was just at the Apple online store checking on an order when I noticed that the low-end single 1.8GHz model is no longer being offered. They're all duals now.

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPadĀ Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPadĀ Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

post #2 of 38
Apple Computer's online store sold today what may have been its last single processor PowerPC-based Power Mac.

After seeing ship times slip to 7 to 10 business days earlier this week, all mention of the 1.8GHz Power Mac G5 vanished from the company's online store by Wednesday morning.

According to reliable sources of information, the company actually declared an "end-of-life" to the 1.8GHz Power Mac in late April when it revamped its Power Mac G5 offerings to include dual processors ranging from 2.0 to 2.7GHz.

Over the last month and a half it's believed that Apple manufactured very few, if any, single processor Power Mac systems and instead moved product that was already present in its inventory.

The Power Mac product line has been a sore spot in Apple's product family as of late, largely in part to IBM's inability to produce G5 processors that meet or surpass the 3GHz barrier.

It's believed that during the last fiscal quarter Apple shipped about 130,000 Power Mac G5 units when Xserve numbers were deducted from the company's reported Power Mac mix -- a far cry from the 211,000 Power Mac systems the company shipped in the same quarter of 2002.

Going forward, it seems unlikely that Apple will re-introduce a single processor PowerPC-based Power Mac system with the consumer-oriented iMac line already topping out at 2GHz itself. And in a year and a half Power Macs are due to obtain a flavor of Intel's Pentium processor.

So today the single processor PowerPC Power Mac appears to be nothing more than a memory and collectors item for the ages.
post #3 of 38
So.... do you think Apple will cut prices, even if just a tad?
post #4 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Nak

Nah! They'll just implement some other awesome, new, cool, hardware/os features to justify charging you double for it.
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Nak

I think you will start to find some killer deals on PowerPC-based Macs in about 12 months when the first Intel-based Macs hit the market.

And to answer your question more directly: It appears -- based on what I have researched -- that Apple is making a pretty penny on the Power Mac G5 systems it currently sells and could easily drop the price. I have no information to suggest upcoming drops, however.

Best,

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Moscow
Nah! They'll just implement some other awesome, new, cool, hardware/os features to justify charging you double for it.

lol, in true apple fashion
post #7 of 38
I bet it's just because they have not been selling enough. They weren't upgraded when the rest of the line was upgraded, and had fallen behind the iMac, so they were probably only available until supplies ran out.

I still believe we will never see the 970MP or 970GX... I'm hoping that Apple will pull an Intel-based Mac out of their hat this year. But what do I know?
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #8 of 38
So why not add a little interest and offer a 2.3 single processor? That might work for some users and would be above the iMac line.
Ken
Ken
post #9 of 38
what are you talking about? the 1.8 Ghz is still in the online store,

edited later : uups sorry only in Germany
post #10 of 38
Hi. The single processor is still on the apple UK site. It is not on the american one though.
m

EDIT
Im not sure but i think that the single processor has only gone on the american site
Mithi
Mithi
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Mithi
Hi. The single processor is still on the apple UK site. It is not on the american one though.
m

EDIT
Im not sure but i think that the single processor has only gone on the american site

I don't know if its true but looking at this makes me believe PowerMacs (and probably all other Apple products) are manafactured in the U.S. So they probably stopped selling 1.8s in the U.S. and shipped all the ones which they were not able to sell, to overseas this is probably usual practice by Apple I would assume, and makes sense to me.
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by punica888
manafactured in the U.S.

Industry in the US?? You must be joking!
post #13 of 38
I don't know about the US, but up until recently many of the PowerMac G5's were manufactured in Ireland.
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Robin Hood
I don't know about the US, but up until recently many of the PowerMac G5's were manufactured in Ireland.

BLARNEY!

(I believe you. I just felt like saying that.)
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #15 of 38
Canada online store has all duals now.
ArtisticEvolution.com
Step Through My Doorway, Into Another World!
ArtisticEvolution.com
Step Through My Doorway, Into Another World!
post #16 of 38
guess theyre finally movin on
post #17 of 38
I wonder what would happen if the Clowns at Apple sold a single cpu version with their fastest CPU. A single 2.7? Lot of Folks dont need a 2nd cpu hanging around doing nothing for the most part. Lot of folks just want options and a single fast cpu not a single slow cpu. Apple is lost in their own Tier spin and have been for years. Apple took the 1.8 and made it less machine then the year before. Clowns in Hardware, thank god the software division has been saving their sorry butts. Lets hope they dont pull the same gimmicks when going to Intel. I can see it now the powermacs gets dual core Intels running at 4.0 and iMac will have a 2.2 ghz P4 Apples whole marketing scheme on its computers is a mess hence they own 3% of the market. Why not just sell what people want instead of the games with powermac screwing all lines?
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #18 of 38
It was a lousy system anyway. Same bus speed as the iMac. It previously may have been considered a bit of a good buy before May, but when Apple put out the updated Macs, and didn't update the 1.8, you knew they didn't care about it, and anyone who bought one after that point was just stupid.
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Robin Hood

really? \ , well i guess they just made the move in the U.S. since it is the mother country
post #20 of 38
r.i.p
post #21 of 38
Dissapointing news. The offered expandability at a lower cost.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by AquaMac
Dissapointing news. The offered expandability at a lower cost.

Trying to force folks into dual Powermacs just to have expansion and a "real" video card. Paperpushers at Apple are at it again trying to figure how they can screw up more. Only way I see them correcting this is to intro a new machine thats based on 1 cpu and has expansion slots and video options. Wont do that though cause it takes sales from the Powermac. Apple sometimes just doesnt get it. PowerPC for One, not selling a single fastest CPU machine for another. Clowns & Committee's.
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
Trying to force folks into dual Powermacs just to have expansion and a "real" video card. Paperpushers at Apple are at it again trying to figure how they can screw up more. Only way I see them correcting this is to intro a new machine thats based on 1 cpu and has expansion slots and video options. Wont do that though cause it takes sales from the Powermac. Apple sometimes just doesnt get it. PowerPC for One, not selling a single fastest CPU machine for another. Clowns & Committee's.

Ummm, so you're brilliant concept on the only way they could fix this is to re-release the same machine? And they won't do it mainly because someone will look at the product map and go "Hey, for the exact same price, they could get an iMac, so why should we have this product?"

Yes, you gotta love apple. Want your own video card? Prices start at $2000. The $1500 machine was only there so Apple could say "We've got towers starting at $1500!". Nothing else. It was a bastard step-child. They even crippled the FSB for some stupid reason. What's funny is that the only anyone can think of to not release a cheaper tower is fears of loss of the higher-end sales. Yet Apple is doing that to themselves by having overpriced equipment that's barely any better then last years models.

BTW, Apple could sell low-end towers with one or two slots, plus AGP or PCI-Express, firewire 400 only, with the same box as they have now, then move the high-end into a better box, one that gives the user multiple (more than 2) optical bays, 4 or more internal hard drive slots, extra PCI slot, make them all PCI-X (just because they've jumped on that sword and now they're stuck, because no one else does PCI-X), dual processor, PCI-Express, Firewire 800, etc, etc, etc.
post #24 of 38
This stinks. Our newspaper needs to update its lab, and they already have pretty nice 20" CRT monitors, so there's no reason to get an AIO Mac. The low-end G5 tower was really the only option for us... the Mac mini is not at all expandable and it's slow, but a low-end tower now starts at $1799 which is probably more than we can afford right now (it was $1350 for the low-end before).

We can't wait 2 years for Intel Power Macs. Will Apple sell to pros on a budget before then, or just watch their unit sales drop each quarter?
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by bborofka
This stinks. Our newspaper needs to update its lab, and they already have pretty nice 20" CRT monitors, so there's no reason to get an AIO Mac. The low-end G5 tower was really the only option for us... the Mac mini is not at all expandable and it's slow, but a low-end tower now starts at $1799 which is probably more than we can afford right now (it was $1350 for the low-end before).

We can't wait 2 years for Intel Power Macs. Will Apple sell to pros on a budget before then, or just watch their unit sales drop each quarter?

Probably watch their sales drop. You could, however, invest in the mid-range iMacs (I think they're $1399 right now with a discount, so $50 more than the towers) and sell the monitors. Depends on your layout/screen-estate needs.
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
BTW, Apple could sell low-end towers with one or two slots, plus AGP or PCI-Express, firewire 400 only, with the same box as they have now, then move the high-end into a better box, one that gives the user multiple (more than 2) optical bays, 4 or more internal hard drive slots, extra PCI slot, make them all PCI-X (just because they've jumped on that sword and now they're stuck, because no one else does PCI-X), dual processor, PCI-Express, Firewire 800, etc, etc, etc.

That was one sentence!

But anyway, I think we will probably see much more expandable towers emerge when the Mactels come out. They'll have a lot more internal space to work with since they won't need three wind tunnels and a liquid cooling system to keep the tower from exploding like they do now.
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
That was one sentence!

But anyway, I think we will probably see much more expandable towers emerge when the Mactels come out. They'll have a lot more internal space to work with since they won't need three wind tunnels and a liquid cooling system to keep the tower from exploding like they do now.

Oh so this is qhy apple switched to Aluminium casings instead of plastic to withstand the explosion
post #28 of 38
Quote:
[B]I wonder what would happen if the Clowns at Apple sold a single cpu version with their fastest CPU. A single 2.7? Lot of Folks dont need a 2nd cpu hanging around doing nothing for the most part. Lot of folks just want options and a single fast cpu not a single slow cpu./B]

Couldnt agree more, but now most software if not the os must support multiple cpu's, so your getting use of the 2nd core/cpu on even the most basic of apps. Thats the idea anyway?
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by hasapi
Couldnt agree more, but now most software if not the os must support multiple cpu's, so your getting use of the 2nd core/cpu on even the most basic of apps. Thats the idea anyway?

Guess they had to do this crap because PPC is so slow Vs the Intels/AMD. 2 vs 1 with lots of spin added.
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Guess they had to do this crap because PPC is so slow Vs the Intels/AMD. 2 vs 1 with lots of spin added.

No all CPU manufacturers are resigned to a multi core future on just about every type.

IMO the PMac is faster than dual processor Xeon/Opteron's for the most creative of software, and generally at a more affordable cost.

That said, the roadmap for continued development does not look good for PPC, which is why Apple has adopted Intel.
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by hasapi
No all CPU manufacturers are resigned to a multi core future on just about every type.

IMO the PMac is faster than dual processor Xeon/Opteron's for the most creative of software, and generally at a more affordable cost.

That said, the roadmap for continued development does not look good for PPC, which is why Apple has adopted Intel.

The fact that multicore is the future for Intel and AMD mean (ironicly) that the Dual processor G5 may have a longer useful lifespan than you think. It will force more developers to multithread their applications to produce performance boosts, so future upgrades of software are more and more likely to run faster on dual processor computers, I realise many are already (esp. Apple ones)
Idiot, slow down....

- The Tourist, Radiohead
Idiot, slow down....

- The Tourist, Radiohead
post #32 of 38
As a G5 1600 user (purchased in 2003) , single processor I think I made a real stupid thing not to buy the 1800*2 option.

I didn't know OS X and its apps used dual processors that good.

Oh, "new" Intel zealots, P4 arch can't do SMP (real dual cpu, NOT HT!), Xeon can do it and it hates end user (non server) machines.
post #33 of 38
Ilgaz, welcome on board.

If you don't wait too long, you should be able sell it on the used Mac market at not too much of a loss. Better to eat it now than later...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
post #34 of 38
No I just made it 1.5 gb ram and its from 2003 G5 1600 SP.

I said I should buy g5 1800*2 instead of it that time. Being win32 convert, I didn't know SMP actually works as intended. Its also part that I was a intel customer and I got my mind fixed as "dual processor is for server only" (remember the date, 2003)

Lets hope Intel decision won't make this excellent SMP home computer platform like wintel.
post #35 of 38
(12 gun salute)

goodbye, single powermac. i had some good times with the 1.6 ghz single absolutely kicking ass with reason 2.5 software synthesis.

now that the iMac pretty much covers all that, so be it.

with the intel announcement as well, the single 1.8ghz is well destined for the bargain bin.

wow. computer stuff is really getting obsolete so fucking fast nowadays. goddamnit.
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
computer stuff is really getting obsolete so fucking fast nowadays. goddamnit.

"Computers are obsolete as soon as they get off the production line."
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
(12 gun salute)

goodbye, single powermac. i had some good times with the 1.6 ghz single absolutely kicking ass with reason 2.5 software synthesis.

now that the iMac pretty much covers all that, so be it.

with the intel announcement as well, the single 1.8ghz is well destined for the bargain bin.

wow. computer stuff is really getting obsolete so fucking fast nowadays. goddamnit.

Fast? Since when is computer stuff fast these days? I feel like it has slowed down in the last 3-4 years, at least in the windows world and partly in the MacWorld. Windows XP is Old News, the processors don't seem to get much faster, just very slowly and Harddrives are still kind of small where is the terabyte people said would be here by 2007? Since Longhorn aparently needs at least 500GB to run smoothly.
Really the only ones who are driving the industry forward are Apple see Spotlight, fast user switching etc. and I guess Intel have very similar feelings which is why they are so happy about the Apple deal.

Sos got into a bit of a diffrent topic here
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by bborofka

2nd party distributors still have the single 1.8's in stock. www.macmall.com has them for 1495.00 USD.
One of the fork and spoon operators from Sector 7-G
One of the fork and spoon operators from Sector 7-G
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple says goodbye to single processor PowerPC Power Macs