or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Is it possible to flash a pc RADEON card with graphiccelerator?

Is it possible to flash a pc RADEON card with graphiccelerator?

post #1 of 6
I have a FW800 Powermac DP 1.25 and I've been looking for a Quartz 2D extreme/Core Image compatible video card.

The only problem is that I don't want to increase the noise of my already noisy PowerMac.

I've considered several options:

1. The modified 64MB RADEON 9600 Pro (no fan) sold by OWC.
2. Underclocking the retail 9800 and exchanging the fan with a heat sink.
3. Find a PC RADEON 9600 with MAC ROM.

Several people told me that 64MB wasn't enough for Quartz 2D Extreme so I decided to pass on choice #1.

I don't want to do choice #2 because I'm afraid that I will mess up a brand new $250.00 card.

My last hope is to find a 256MB PC RADEON 9600 with MAC ROMs. During a quick search on the internet, I found a whole bunch of PC 9700s and 9800s on sale with Mac ROMs but I couldn't find a anyone with a 9600.

As I was about to give up, it suddenly struck me that maybe Graphiccelerator can flash PC cards with Mac ROMs. Did anyone ever try this?

EDIT: After some research, flashing a PC card is not as simple as it initially seemed. But I am still taking suggestions for a silent Core Image compatible card.
Sold my beige.
Sold my beige.
post #2 of 6
Any replies?

Are there any people who tried the OWC 9600 in a PMG4 and enabled Quartz 2D extreme? Did it speed up the system?

Is there anyone who tried to silence their 9800 by underclocking or replacing the fan with a quieter one (e.g. Verax)?
Sold my beige.
Sold my beige.
post #3 of 6
No replies...

Anyway, one more question: Can the Radeon 9650 be modified to run in a PM G4 with 4x AGP?
Sold my beige.
Sold my beige.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally posted by BeigeUser
No replies...

Anyway, one more question: Can the Radeon 9650 be modified to run in a PM G4 with 4x AGP?

I too wonder something similar: I have a (somewhat aging) Radeon 8500 on a Sawtooth (upgraded to 2x 1Ghz G4's from powerlogix) and have been wondering what is the best card I can put in it, and what would be redundant, since I only have the AGP slot that came with that machine (2x? 4x?--- I think 2x)

Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
post #5 of 6
My gut tells me that if you are worried about the $250, it's probably not a good idea to fuck around with it. If, on the other hand you don't really care and just want to try - pull the trigger (just be sure to post your results).
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally posted by SethMonster
My gut tells me that if you are worried about the $250, it's probably not a good idea to fuck around with it. If, on the other hand you don't really care and just want to try - pull the trigger (just be sure to post your results).

At this point, I'm not sure if the 9650 even supports the 4x AGP of the PowerMac G4. But if it does, then the modification should only involve the application of two small pieces of tape. A process that should be reversible if necessary.

The quieting modification for the 9800 is much more extensive and it sacrifices a PCI slot and $79.00(for Verax).

I should mention that the 9650s can be purchased off eBay at a much lower price than the 9800s.

I hope you could see why I'm more likely to mess with the 9650s than the 9800. But being cheap by nature, I'm waiting for someone else to try the 9650 mod first. Let me know if anyone has any success with the 9650 in a G4.
Sold my beige.
Sold my beige.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Is it possible to flash a pc RADEON card with graphiccelerator?