or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple spreadsheet application in the works?

Apple spreadsheet application in the works? - Page 3

post #81 of 88
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Me
If you get access to Live Directory, the suite of Mail, iCal, and Address Book will do this now--in a fashion. By this, I mean that it works as well as Microsoft's own Entourage 2004.

That's damming Entourage with faint praise!

However it is true enough, Entourage (even 2004) as an Exchange client is an embarrassment. Mail+iCal+Address Book and especially if you add Snerdware's GroupCal is currently a better Exchange client for the Mac THAN MICROSOFT'S OWN!!!

Microsoft are of course saying that they are working on Exchange related enhancements for their next Entourage release, however they have said this for years and years and years.

Microsoft are notorious for starting with an awful product and improving it until it is 'good enough'. However Entourage as an Exchange client is still far from good enough, at least Microsoft are giving the impression now that they realise it (in the past their marketing drones used to try and kid you the Mac client was just as good as Outlook for Windows).

It would be interesting to see Ximian (the Exchange client specifically) ported to Mac OS X (not as an X11 app but as a proper Mac program).
post #82 of 88
Quote:
Originally posted by NaMo4184
--For Graphs. The graphs I make are usually for science classes. So say i want to plot. distance vs. time. And i want the x-axis to be time and the y-axis to be distance. There is no easy way to label the graphs. There is no easy way to set the x-axis as time. I guess you could just add in your own text boxes to label. And if you enter in your own label then the labels don't move with the graph. ...etc...

--no equation editor.

Agreed - the absolutely impeccable equation editor is one of the key reasons I use Lyx to do my science/maths coursework. This would be an excellent addition to Pages, especially if they want students to use it. However, I hardly regard this as a key feature for v1.0. Incidentally, Word's equation editor isn't actually too bad - the results aren't as stylish as Lyx but pretty it's easy to use. It does however have too drawbacks. Firstly, the equation is posted as an image - it doesn't just fit with the flow as in Lyx. Secondly, and much more importantly, it's nigh on indiscoverable. Even I (who knew it was there) had to resort to the help system to remember how to access it. Insert -> Object... Horrendous UI.

Regarding, graphs, I think the power you need is only ever going to be supplied in a spreadsheet or similar program. Hopefully Numbers will solve this and provide a nice way of impedding it's charts/data directly into Keynote/Pages.

Neil
post #83 of 88
As far as equations go, WebKit is going to be integrating MathML in the near future. I think it's one of the higher-interest To Dos that exists. If it can be abstracted or such so that Pages and Keynote and everything have access, that would be great. WebKit (will) integrates a lot of great technology that will likely permeate the OS outside of web access. I'm thinking mainly of the XML related stuff, but things like MathML will also become of far greater importance I think.
post #84 of 88
have you guys tried grapher yet. It has the best equation editor I've ever seen. The only thing It can't do is write the equations for you. If it could get integrated into Pages that would be awesome
post #85 of 88
Quote:
Originally posted by NaMo4184
have you guys tried grapher yet. It has the best equation editor I've ever seen. The only thing It can't do is write the equations for you. If it could get integrated into Pages that would be awesome

Just spotlighted for it and opened it. That is cool, and I can see where you're coming from.
post #86 of 88
Grapher is great, I forgot about that in my post. I did a Calc II project for school with it and LaTeX (= free) as opposed to leaving my room and using the schools PCs with several hundred dollar software.

I also found something that Apple really should embrace. LinkBack. It goes way beyond the Services menu, and allows for that added level of integration, WITHOUT the bloat of soMe Software.
post #87 of 88
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
You know that Microsoft Office format is .doc right? You know you can save your Pages documents as .doc right?

Research. Before. You. Say. It. Doesn't. Do. What. I. Need. It. To. Do.

actually.. Pages doesn't open Word Documents perfectly. It opens them about as well as Appleworkds does. If you want 100% Office compatiblity which for most of us is a MUST... then we are stuck with Office. Hopefully this will change for the better as Micorosoft is (being made to) working towards am open standard for Office.
post #88 of 88
Quote:
Originally posted by jelockwood
Microsoft are of course saying that they are working on Exchange related enhancements for their next Entourage release, however they have said this for years and years and years.

Microsoft are notorious for starting with an awful product and improving it until it is 'good enough'. However Entourage as an Exchange client is still far from good enough, at least Microsoft are giving the impression now that they realise it (in the past their marketing drones used to try and kid you the Mac client was just as good as Outlook for Windows).

It's in MS's interest to keep Entourage as the flaky Exchange client as it is. To make and keep it 'just not good enough' as a full blown Exchange client will force companies to keep working with Office on Windows.
Believe me, I know several who only use a Windows box because they have to connect (decently) with Exchange.
2x2.7 PowerMac - 1.25 Powerbook - 10.4 Tiger - '65 Mustang
2x2.7 PowerMac - 1.25 Powerbook - 10.4 Tiger - '65 Mustang
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple spreadsheet application in the works?