or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 20 or 23 inch?

20 or 23 inch?

post #1 of 45
I am planning how my computer setup should for the future and need some advice.

The sketch is as following:

A low end Powermac, 20 inch screen as main computer
A 15 Inch Powerbook.
A Mac Mini as a (mainly music)server

I have a iBook right now and I plan to make the purchases gradually over the next year. So I will ask for advice how to proceed.

First question is this: A 20 inch or 23 inch? Roughly twice the price for twice the pixel count. I won´t do FCP or PS stuff so the 20 is "enough" but now that have decided to drop the wallet on it would it wise spent?

From what I hear the panel in the 20 inch is hailed as one of the best (is not the best) panel out there right now. How does the 23 inch compare to it? For those who bought the 20 inch, have you regretted not getting the extra pixels? And visa versa, those of you having the 23, would you be able to live with fewer pixels?

And am totally wrong thinking that its a much better idea to buy a PM now and wait a year for the PB than the other way around?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #2 of 45
Here's my suggestion - get 2 20" screens. Close to the same price as a 23" screen, and you have far more total screen real estate. It's what I did, and I couldn't be happier with it. The 23" screen is the one of the three Apple models which have had QA issues, too (look around - there have been some serious discoloration issues with the 23" model - a pink hue that can't be calibrated out, and a yellow tinge at the edge of the screen).

Just my $0.02.
post #3 of 45
I have thought of that. The beauty in that model is I can wait to buy screen #2 if I need it later on.

More input, anyone?
post #4 of 45
I've used a 20" cinema display for almost 2 years now and love it to death. When I first got it I thought it was huge and that a bigger monitor would be overkill.

However, now I see the light and the value of the 23". I'd actually consider it for my next system, especially since prices are coming down.

Personally, I prefer a single large monitor over two smaller ones. It also helps if you play a game from time to time. The drawback of the huge monitor is that you need a decent graphics card to drive the large resolutions. Although this applies to two 20s too.

If you're budget minding, get the 20"s. Otherwise, do not pass Go and move directly to 23".
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
Personally, I prefer a single large monitor over two smaller ones. It also helps if you play a game from time to time.

It depends on usage, of course. I rarely game, but I do use a lot of a/v apps, and I like to have lots of plug-ins, pallates, and other windows open at once and find two screens work better for this - keep the work area in one window and the tools in the other. Or, if I have multiple apps running that I need to switch between constantly, the same principle generally applies.
post #6 of 45
I have the 23" at the office and hook a 1.5 15" PB to it. Love it to death and have no problems at all. I definitely prefer it over the 20" display on the G5 iMac at home, but I have a lot of windows open on it at the office.

My preference is to use the money from the Mac mini and put it towards the 23". While I got my display after the mini came out I don't think I would do any different today. I tend to adjust to larger screens (meaning I get spoiled) very quickly, but I love the 23". If I win the lottery I'll go for the 30"!
Ken
Ken
post #7 of 45
It is a question of real estate vs cost of course, but for me real estate wins. The 23" I have had runs perfectly, has no issues, and seems normal. I use it with my 15" Al Powerbook at home since one of my Cube's is still happily running one of those Cinema 22 displays that was the best investement I ever made. In my office I have my other Cube and its "15 original display so I notice the difference! My wife just took over the iMac 15" as an upgrade from her iMac Snow, so for the moment everyone is happy!

Bottom line, running two displays would be great, and I would do it if G4^3 could run the new monitors or power 2 displays! I just could not abide the size of the towers....
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #8 of 45
Get the Dell 24" - I bought mine new for $900 on eBay and I love it.

I don't like the idea of 2 monitors - the line down the middle would bother me.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Get the Dell 24" - I bought mine new for $900 on eBay and I love it.

I don't like the idea of 2 monitors - the line down the middle would bother me.

Unless you are into cinema scope landscapes, you can have your work on one and the OS and other stuff on the other. I.e. when designing web pages you can see what you are using and see where it goes at the same time. Or if you are running an online course in Blackboard, you can have all those silly docs open and the Blackboard site visitble on the other monitor.
post #10 of 45
Anders, in response to your last question, who knows what Apple is going to implement first using an Intel chip. But apparently one of the reasons Apple is switching is because IBM is unable to get a G5 chip into a powerbook because of heat problems. So yes, it appears that probably the PM G5 will be the last model to make the transition.

I also recommend that you checkout Dell's lineup of FPDs. Using coupons that are often available at techbargains.com coupled with periodic sales, the 2005FPW, which is a fine display, can often be had for something in the $400-500 range. As someone else pointed out the 24" Dell, another fine display, can sometimes be bought at $899.

And finally, for those who question using dual displays, don't knock it until you've tried it. It's a great way to go.
post #11 of 45
I use the older white plastic style Apple 20" next to that Dell 2005FPW 20" widescreen at work. I got the dell for like $400 bucks and they look great next to each other, color is perfect across the board. Although I have to bring the Dell brightness all the way down to match the apple, but thats just because the Dell uses the newer screens. You should totally get two Dell 20's, for the price it's hard to justify the apple screens :/

+ you get a lot more connectivity options with the dell like picture in picture.

40" of screen is great
post #12 of 45
Personally I dig the FireWire ports on the Apple displays, along with the other features. Dell's "cable management solution", ie clutter, is horrendous. Dell's pedestal is crap too.

If you're cheap or these things don't bother you, then the Dell may be the way to go. But personally, I wouldn't not buy an Apple display at this point in my life.
post #13 of 45
I agree with you that the apple form factor is much better. The dell is no apple design, but it's certainly not horrendous and cheap, it's practical and works well. And I'm willing to give up a couple firewire ports for VGA, two more USB 2.0, svideo, composite and pip.

In the beginning I was a doubter, I figured I would just get the "cheap Dell piece of crap" (I called it this often) cuz it was inexpensive with coupons. Now that I have it, personally I don't see how I could justify buying one apple display when I could get two of these for that money with the same screen quality as the apple!! I mean I swore by apple displays for a long time but how can you argue with something that uses the same lcd for half price?

It's a tough call, It's hard for me or my place of employment to actually pay money to Dell, it actually hurts a little bit... BUT it has nothing to do with being cheap, it has to do with paying 400 bucks for an aluminum case!

post #14 of 45
don't forget that the Dell 2405FPW has a multi USB card reader. Very handy if you ask me.
If I could put a bug in Steve Jobs' office, I would be able to get some sleep!
If I could put a bug in Steve Jobs' office, I would be able to get some sleep!
post #15 of 45
all i hear about apple screens is dead pixels and no warranty.
all i hear about dell monitors are dead pixels and warranties.
post #16 of 45
Thanks for all the input so far. Please keep it up

Anyone having used both the 20 and the 23 Apple displays? ANy input regarding panel quality?
post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders

A 15 Inch Powerbook.

I have a iBook right now and I plan to make the purchases gradually over the next year. So I will ask for advice how to proceed.

First question is this: A 20 inch or 23 inch? Roughly twice the price for twice the pixel count. I won´t do FCP or PS stuff so the 20 is "enough" but now that have decided to drop the wallet on it would it wise spent?

From what I hear the panel in the 20 inch is hailed as one of the best (is not the best) panel out there right now. How does the 23 inch compare to it? For those who bought the 20 inch, have you regretted not getting the extra pixels? And visa versa, those of you having the 23, would you be able to live with fewer pixels?

And am totally wrong thinking that its a much better idea to buy a PM now and wait a year for the PB than the other way around?

ive personally liked wider screens and my brother uses the 30" monitor w/ the powermac he uses, duel G5 i believe is what work bought him... w/ the 30" screen.... and he likes it... so i'd say if you can afford the 30" go for that, but if not then 23" is nice too other then that i dunno what else to tell ya about how they compare...

also, you can get the educational discount, then i would use when you buy the powermac or whichever machine will cost more b/c your allowed 1 computer per year w/ the discount...

good luck
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
post #18 of 45
Anders go to the discussions forum for cinema displays on apples web site. If you look around there you will find a lot of info. Supposedly there were a couple of problems with the new 23's, pinkish screens etc... It also looks like apple may have fixed these problems. Some people are reporting good screens on new purchases.
post #19 of 45
I bought my 23" Cinema Display 6 weeks ago, and have no problems with it. No dead pixels, no pink haze, good colors and good looking... great screen !
post #20 of 45
Quote:

A 15 Inch Powerbook.

I bought a 20" with my PM in May and had some quality issues after 4 days of use. Initially it was perfect with no dead pixels, but after 4 days a grey vertical line about 2 inches wide appeared from top to bottom. I called AppleCare and they took it back and fixed it with a 2 day turnaround time (this is in Japan). It was returned with no dead pixels, but the brightness buttons were no longer responding. They took it back again with a 2 day turnaround time (including the weekend) and I've had no problems with it since.
post #21 of 45
IMHO if you are accustomed to using a 21" 4:3 CRT, then go for the 23"er. The 23"er is effectively a 21" CRT made widescreen. If you go for the 20"er, you will notice that it is cramped in comparison to a 21" CRT - it's similar to chopping of the bottom quarter of the screen.

As chance would have it, I have both a 20" and a 23" sitting on my desk at the moment. I originally the 20" and as soon as I took it out the box I thought that it looked tiny.

Both screens offer fantastic picture quality and it's been a few years since I've seen an Apple branded LCD with a dead/stuck pixel.
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
IMHO if you are accustomed to using a 21" 4:3 CRT, then go for the 23"er. The 23"er is effectively a 21" CRT made widescreen. If you go for the 20"er, you will notice that it is cramped in comparison to a 21" CRT - it's similar to chopping of the bottom quarter of the screen.

As chance would have it, I have both a 20" and a 23" sitting on my desk at the moment. I originally the 20" and as soon as I took it out the box I thought that it looked tiny.

Both screens offer fantastic picture quality and it's been a few years since I've seen an Apple branded LCD with a dead/stuck pixel.

Fantastic. Any quality difference between the panels on the two?

I´m used to an 12 inch iBook and a 19 inch 4:3 LCD at work...
post #23 of 45
I haven't been able to set the two panels up simultaneously as yet, as I'm using a Mac mini.

To my eyes, both displays offer identical picture quality. I can't fault the quality of either display.

I think you'll be delighted with either display!
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Thanks for all the input so far. Please keep it up

Anyone having used both the 20 and the 23 Apple displays? ANy input regarding panel quality?

I have a 23" and bought for my assistant a 20". It's clear to me that I'd be happy with the 20" for myself, and I would just stick with a 20" were I to do this over again.

That said, I haven't really seen much difference in the quality of the two screens. Perhaps the 20" is a tad brighter...hard to say.

Go 20".
post #25 of 45
I'll tell you one difference I have noticed, though!

Whilst the 20"er runs cool, the 23"er gets REALLY hot!

\
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Cubit
Or if you are running an online course in Blackboard, you can have all those silly docs open and the Blackboard site visitble on the other monitor.

that is a great point I would kill for dual 20's to do just this..I have dual 20s at work (for video and desktop publishing) and it kicks ass on blackboard (our dept also handles blackboard Q&A and support)

I also feel better now that I know that I am not the only one who has like 3 word docs, two web browsers (1 for campus email), Preview with a PDF and iTunes open at the same time to get my homework done
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #27 of 45
the 23 can do HD (1080) which might be important to you in a couple years...
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
I'll tell you one difference I have noticed, though!

Whilst the 20"er runs cool, the 23"er gets REALLY hot!

\

My dell 24" is not hot at all.

Also, I went to the apple store and looked at the 23". It is true that the Apple monitor's aluminum enclosure is nicer looking, but I like the Dell's picture quality better.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #29 of 45
I have the 23" ACD and it certainly does NOT get very hot. I guess you just have to compare it to something first. I keep the screen at around half-brightness, just because it's so bright compared to my working space at home.

I got this display for Christmas and it hasn't been off except for system reboots in nearly seven months.

It has one stuck pixel in the upper left area of the screen, but it's not in a critical area, and I'm sure it's well within Apple's quality specification. I have to move a solid window around to find it, since I have changing iPhoto pictures in the background of the Desktop.

It DID come with a slightly pinkish hue when I received it, but after tweaking the Colors in the Displays Preference Pane it's now fine.

Hope that helps. And yes, I do have a 20" version at work, and it's just as nice, just smaller. The 23" seems HUGE compared to the 15" LCD it replaced.

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPad Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPad Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

post #30 of 45
I'd either purchase two 20" widescreens or one 23" widescreen. However, if you do not have the power to run those 20" fluently, I'd spring for one big 23".

The two minitor real estate is lovely, but it was a pain on my Sawtooth/9800 Pro

This G5 is another story
post #31 of 45
Is there any way to hook up 2 external monitors with my 15" al. powerbook even though it only provides 1 DVI port?
post #32 of 45
As far as I can see, Anders still hasn't answered what kind of use this equipment is going to see. However, I question the plan.

Why get a mini for a server when the Powermac can accommodate huge hard drives and is the better machine all around? If you get a dualie, the price difference should be about what the mini costs, and the added power will far surpass the power drain from light server activity.

Why get a Powerbook when you already have an iBook? (Is it an older model perhaps?) Current 12" iBook is very competetive with the 12" Powerbook. Do you really need it enough on the go that it has to have larger screen?

In any case I think it's a good idea to get the Powermac first and laptop later, like you are thinking now. Wait for Intel laptops if you can.

The 23" ACD which I saw at the store before I ordered my 24" Dell had a green hue instead of the infamous pink. Horrible. The 20" ACD next to it was fine. I'm not sure how I would like living with the 20" now that I'm used to the 24".. anyway what you spend on a display is never wasted IMO.
I recommend either 20", dual 20", or 24". Note that if the 20":s are not Apple, you can pivot one or both to get positively huge space for text content.
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Marsh
I have the 23" ACD and it certainly does NOT get very hot. I guess you just have to compare it to something first. I keep the screen at around half-brightness, just because it's so bright compared to my working space at home.

I initially set my 24" Dell at half brightness, but now I have it set at 0%.. it doesn't go to dark as I thought. At 0% it is still a tad brighter than the 12" iBook at 100%
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Personally I dig the FireWire ports on the Apple displays, along with the other features. Dell's "cable management solution", ie clutter, is horrendous. Dell's pedestal is crap too.

If you're cheap or these things don't bother you, then the Dell may be the way to go. But personally, I wouldn't not buy an Apple display at this point in my life.

I recently got a 20" Dell display at work and while the flat panel itself is of decent quality, I can certainly tell the difference when compared to the Apple display. The number of cables sooting out the back and dangling down the back of my desk is horrendous. I thought it was funny that the basic power cable plugged right in to the back of the display. Sure, if budget is your prime concern, the Dell display might be for you, but if you care about anything else the Apple display is the way to go.

Still wish my ADC 20" was an aluminum model.
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Gon
I initially set my 24" Dell at half brightness, but now I have it set at 0%.. it doesn't go to dark as I thought. At 0% it is still a tad brighter than the 12" iBook at 100%

Oh - I thought that he meant physically hot (temparature of the box), not visually hot (color temparature).
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #36 of 45
My personal concern would be potential HD use, the 23" will natively display 1080p, the 20" ones will not without a little downscaling. You do get more screen real estate with two 20" units though.

Currently, I am running a dual 2.5 G5 with two displays, one 21" flat CRT and one 17" LCD as a "slave" screen. The CRT will display 1080p beautifly, just not as large of a picture as the 23" LCD would. I plan to buy a 23" after the next price drop, or two price drops from now.
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Oh - I thought that he meant physically hot (temparature of the box), not visually hot (color temparature).

Physically hot is how I understood it as well. The 23" ACD gets hot because there is no ventilation. The upside is no dust gets in. The Dell 2405fpw is not hot like that because the warm air gets out via cooling slits. However, you can't avoid warmth when you're generating lots of light. Turn this up to 100% brightness, or even 50%, you feel warmth radiating out when you put a hand a cm or two away.

Even at 0% brightness, when you put a hand on the cooling slits, the air is warm.
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Sure, if budget is your prime concern, the Dell display might be for you, but if you care about anything else the Apple display is the way to go.

Not accurate. Price is just icing on the cake. In the 23"-24" class Dell has a better panel and so better image quality, 2 more axis of adjustment, VGA, SVHS, component, composite inputs, pivot functionality, memory card reader, 2 years more warranty, 1" more size and a clear price win. Apple has better looks and a firewire hub.

In the 20" class both use the same panels, the fight is tighter and Apple is pretty competetive.
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Gon
Not accurate. Price is just icing on the cake. In the 23"-24" class Dell has a better panel and so better image quality, 2 more axis of adjustment, VGA, SVHS, component, composite inputs, pivot functionality, memory card reader, 2 years more warranty, 1" more size and a clear price win. Apple has better looks and a firewire hub.

In the 20" class both use the same panels, the fight is tighter and Apple is pretty competetive.

I 2nd this opinion. In every race except "how good does the chassis look", the Dell wins. And the Dell still looks pretty good as monitors go.

I would trade it for the 30" Apple, of course, but I don't think that I would take a free trade for the 23" apple if it was offered to me.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Gon
In the 23"-24" class Dell has a better panel and so better image quality, 2 more axis of adjustment, VGA, SVHS, component, composite inputs, pivot functionality, memory card reader, 2 years more warranty, 1" more size and a clear price win.

Right. This is a solid feature set that justifies the price difference here in Europe:

23" Apple display: 1568.99 euros
24" Dell display: 1692.79 euros

The Dell is almost 124 euros more expensive.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 20 or 23 inch?