or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Time For a Newbie Forum (no, really!)

Time For a Newbie Forum (no, really!)

post #1 of 5
Gentlemen:

I propose that you start a Newbie Forum (as others have suggested before). This forum would be for new AI-ers to build their posts up to, say, fifty. While there, they can get their feet properly under them, find out that there is a search function, etc..

Why do I propose this? A newbie has posted a question in General Discussion as to what PDA he should purchase to work with his new Powerbook... as in Ad Nauseum

"New AI-er Forum: Get your feet wet here."

Respectfully Submitted,

Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #2 of 5
Not so sure about this. We recently made a decision to keep AppleInsider forums few in number to ensure they will all stay busy. Look at the reaction to the short-lived Creative Corner and Retail Discussion forums.

We will be updating our posting guidelines soon and I think we will probably have a dedicated "Newbie" section. Any suggestions as to the contents would be appreciated.

Jambo
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Not so sure about this. We recently made a decision to keep AppleInsider forums few in number to ensure they will all stay busy. Look at the reaction to the short-lived Creative Corner and Retail Discussion forums.

We will be updating our posting guidelines soon and I think we will probably have a dedicated "Newbie" section. Any suggestions as to the contents would be appreciated.

Jambo

Great Jambo:

The posting guidelines
Beaten To Death Topics
Search Engines Made Easy

V/R,

Aries 1B
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally posted by Aries 1B
Great Jambo: �The posting guidelines, �Beaten To Death Topics, �Search Engines Made Easy.

I second posting guidelines. I have noticed a few, usually newer, members who mostly make personal attacks or just criticize others without adding meaningful content. MACchine was an example, and thanks for banning this person. I realize that as the MAC increases market share a larger variety of people will be joining these types of forums. I have personally sent polite yet strong Private Messages to newer members to please reread the posting guidelines. I am happy to say this usually helps. I enjoy the lively and meaningful content at AppleInsider and hope to see it continue in the future. Thank you!
Sincerely, . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #5 of 5
You could also start a "bitch and moan forum" for the "why no G5 in PB yet?" people...

Anyhow, I think that one of the biggest problems is people who post in the wrong forum...look at Current Hardware...it's filled with tech support questions, yet there is clearly a forum for that...as well as one for purchasing advice.

shrug...
My computer can beat up your computer.
My computer can beat up your computer.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Time For a Newbie Forum (no, really!)