or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › MIDI Software? When?

MIDI Software? When?

post #1 of 10
In the last bug fix, there were notes listing sevreal midi bugs that were fixed. I use my mac primarily for music making, but the complete lack of any pro audio applications for OS X has me really stumped. Does anyone know how far along midi support is in OS X? Are we ever going to have some apps?

Any info appreciated.
post #2 of 10
I have seen demos of some stuff in one of the keynotes, also check
<a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/" target="_blank">VersionTracker</a> for MIDI applications.

Daniel
post #3 of 10
What kind of MIDI apps/interfaces are you using? I'm in the music making biz as well and have delayed upgrading to OS X because of OMS, lack of apps, etc. However I hear MIDIMAN is releasing OS X drivers (good b/c I use MIDIMAN), and MOTU is releasing more OS X stuf.
Favorite Bumper Sticker:
Nuke the Gay Whales for Jesus!
Favorite Bumper Sticker:
post #4 of 10
I'm all motu, 2408 and DP3. No drivers or ports of apps yet.

None yet from emagic, steinberg, proppellerheads, bias, native instruments. It's very frustrating.

I've gotta assume that MIDI support just isn't ready for primetime yet......
post #5 of 10
Apparently, MIDI support is ready for primetime as of 10.1... which means that the developers who want to take advantage of it just got started a little while ago.

Most of the audio companies - both software and hardware - have committed to releasing OS X native software/hardware this spring. The hardware will change because OS X is so different. From what some of the companies are saying, expect previously high-end solutions to cost a lot less.
DigiDesign has also committed to the platform, but I haven't seen a timeline for ProTools.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!

Original music:
post #6 of 10
hmmm, you'd think there would be a midi control panel or something along those lines. I know there are directories for vst plugs to go eventually, and I have seen midi bug fixes listed in the 10.1.x release notes.......I'm just anxious is all :-)
post #7 of 10
Me too. I've got my eye on a MOTU 828 and some other goodies. MOTU will come out with drivers soon I believe. I know that some exist for Linux using OSS, could we use those as well?
Favorite Bumper Sticker:
Favorite Bumper Sticker:
post #8 of 10
Linux has a completely different (and woefully inferior) driver model.

Original music:

Original music:
post #9 of 10
bias has a new demo out for its Peak DV software for OS X. I got it from Apple's download section I think, either that or Aquafiles.com Its not full featured and expires after 14 days but it appears that you can buy a full version through bias.
Therefore, we request that you cease and desist from displaying your signature on all web sites and servers under the moderators' control, including AppeInsider.
Therefore, we request that you cease and desist from displaying your signature on all web sites and servers under the moderators' control, including AppeInsider.
post #10 of 10
There's another thread going on about a New Apple Audio app due in Jan.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › MIDI Software? When?