or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Any Rugby fans here ?

Any Rugby fans here ?

post #1 of 26
I guess not but I need to vent anyway.

British Lions: wtf is Woodward doing ?????? Wilkinson instead of Henson ? Out of position AND when he hasn't played competitive rugby for something like a year.

This is just more of the Woodward English mentality: select the team for kicking ability solely, bore the opposition to death (not to mention the crowd) and when they start to fall asleep just hope they start to make errors and that your kicker can convert penalties.

Pray that the number of penalties outnumbers the bucketload of tries you let through.

Except that this is the All Blacks he is trying this on.

It's going to be a massacre. possibly literally.

And all because he is 'English' and can't stand to pick the Welsh superstars who alone would have sealed a sequence of historic and classic victories, devastating the ABs and reducing them to a spent and humiliating force.

Now unfortunately the Lions are going to be have to taught some humiliating lessons about the game.

Sad.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #2 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Now unfortunately the Lions are going to be have to taught some humiliating lessons about the game.

Sad.

That is what we are hoping for.

The devils that drive us do not discriminate
post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by Omega
That is what we are hoping for.

Well, reckon you can count on a cricket score.

Unless NZ get too complacent but I guess Henry will nip that in the bud - over-rated coach though he is
post #4 of 26
Let us just say we are quietly confident.

Our only real concern is a grinding slow boring match, very much similar to the English's style from the RWC, where free flowing rugby is stifled.

That, and JW being able to throw the ball through the sticks on a regular occasion. If he does it too often we may have to send out an "enforcer" to snap him in half.

Also for those who don't know NZ is the consistently the best team in the world . They are also one of the most frustrating teams as well, where potential is not realised, and we choke. :brick:
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Let us just say we are quietly confident.

Our only real concern is a grinding slow boring match, very much similar to the English's style from the RWC, where free flowing rugby is stifled.

That, and JW being able to throw the ball through the sticks on a regular occasion. If he does it too often we may have to send out an "enforcer" to snap him in half.

Wilkinson will crack.

Who will NZ throw at him ? Mauger or Umaga or McCaw ? All of them ?

He won't cope and nor will O'Driscoll. I fear the worst.

Umaga must be laughing his head off.
post #6 of 26
I am a fan, but the games are on at 2am, so it's hard to follow in the states, aside from the occasional 7's tournament that gets a prime-time spot.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
I am a fan, but the games are on at 2am, so it's hard to follow in the states, aside from the occasional 7's tournament that gets a prime-time spot.

2 am isn't so bad - and at least it's on. Here you have to go to the pub to watch it - at 7 in the morning !

Really though, I am so pissed off about this Woodward. For the first time in years there are British teams playing exciting free-flowing running creative rugby and he single-handedly winds back the clock to the forwards and kicking game.

It's going to go horribly wrong.
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Who will NZ throw at him ? Mauger or Umaga or McCaw ? All of them ?

I believe Jerry Collins is playing.

You may remember his hit on Chavez (?), the Welsh captain before the RWC. Nurse Umaga stopped playing and put him the recovery position!

post #9 of 26
Quote:
I believe Jerry Collins is playing.

You may remember his hit on Chavez (?), the Welsh captain before the RWC. Nurse Umaga stopped playing and put him the recovery position!

Charvis - and he is a massive bloke himself. I would phone in sick if I was JW.
post #10 of 26
Looks like the playing surface is going to be wet, favouring the "English".

Might be a closer game than we think....
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Looks like the playing surface is going to be wet, favouring the "English".

Might be a closer game than we think....

Yeah, the weather may play a part but Henry and Umaga are playing the old mind games again I think...
post #12 of 26
Lions are going down. They were beaten by NZ Maori, and looked ordinary against NPC teams.

Meanwhile, ABs kicked the crapola outta Fiji.

This is going to be blowout.

Go the ABs!
post #13 of 26
I'm not really a rugby fan, but I did enjoy the Sevens this year.
post #14 of 26
21 - 3

post #15 of 26
Having been at work all evening I missed the game. General consensus is that you boyz got owned up front, which I find amusing because that is where they thought you might be able to compete,

O'Driscoll went down as well, which is not good for the "Power of Four", or should that be "Power of One and a few others"?

As Sean Fitzpatrick used to say, "full credit" to Clive for admitting his team was shit, especially in the line-outs.

And for the record the presenters here thought NZ played a good game, but thought 41-3 was a score that would have been reflective of the domination displayed.

Well, I guess we always have next week!!

post #16 of 26
Quote:
Having been at work all evening I missed the game. General consensus is that you boyz got owned up front, which I find amusing because that is where they thought you might be able to compete,

O'Driscoll went down as well, which is not good for the "Power of Four", or should that be "Power of One and a few others"?

As Sean Fitzpatrick used to say, "full credit" to Clive for admitting his team was shit, especially in the line-outs.

And for the record the presenters here thought NZ played a good game, but thought 41-3 was a score that would have been reflective of the domination displayed.

Well, I guess we always have next week!!

Unless Sir Clive (heh) does something drastic then next week will be ten times worse. This was a flattering score.

Unfortunately I'm sure he will dig his heels in and sing Sloop John B and Sweet Chariot as the ABs knock in another cricket score.

If they lose again I can see a dressing room mutiny.
post #17 of 26
The Lion's line out last night was the most pathetic I have ever seen.

And yes I remember the AB's in 1999.

Overall, a pretty disappointing game considering all the hype. ABs stuffed up numerous opportunities, the Lions had nothing.

Luckily I was drunk so it all seemed fantastic at the time.
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by Sceptic
The Lion's line out last night was the most pathetic I have ever seen.

And yes I remember the AB's in 1999.

Overall, a pretty disappointing game considering all the hype. ABs stuffed up numerous opportunities, the Lions had nothing.

Luckily I was drunk so it all seemed fantastic at the time.

The Lions have massive problems now in addition to the millstone of 'Sir' Clive.

BOD is out for the whole tour, Hill and Shanklin are out (not much effect in Hill's case but still) and now Grewcrock's been banned for biting someone's ear....

Looks bad.

Still, he'll have to pick Welsh boys now.
post #19 of 26
We hope so. We think they got game.

And nothing like seeing CC gushing over Henson.

Little sad to see B O'D go under the circumstances as he is/was a pivotal player in the Lions.
post #20 of 26
Quote:
We hope so. We think they got game.

And nothing like seeing CC gushing over Henson.

Little sad to see B O'D go under the circumstances as he is/was a pivotal player in the Lions.

Yes, seemed a bit of a dubious - basically Umaga and another guy took him out ten seconds after the ball had gone, turned him upside down and speared his head into the turf.

Wouldn't have made much difference though. I read Zinzan Brooke's column today on the BBC which basically ripped Woodward apart and said that if the Lions plan centred on the non removal of BOD then there was a problem anyway.

Still, Manuwatu on Tuesday, they are a second tier team so that should be a 40 point victory to restore morale.

I think that the ABs are going to have to wait for a real game till November and playing Wales in Cardiff. Should be a great atmosphere - I'll be there
post #21 of 26
Quote:
[B]Still, Manuwatu on Tuesday, they are a second tier team so that should be a 40 point victory to restore morale.

You got your 40 point victory, but you also got your arse handed to you on Saturday as well.

Carter is the "it" boy of the moment, and the level of smugness is high at the moment. I would not be surprised to see the NZ stock market up on Monday due to the result!! (Yes, we are that mad about the sport)

Though the general perception this week is that at least you came to play. The first test was a complete abortion, while this one was at least a game (though not reflected on the scoreboard).

NZ rugby is so strong at the moment that nearly every position has a player who would be worthy of putting on a black jersey. We just hope we can crush the wallabies and the springboks in the Tri-Nations to readdress the failing of last year.

Another thing that has come through this tour is that the Lions fans have been a big plus. Little trouble, with lots of fun filled spirit. :thumbsup:

8)
post #22 of 26
Quote:
You got your 40 point victory, but you also got your arse handed to you on Saturday as well.

Carter is the "it" boy of the moment, and the level of smugness is high at the moment. I would not be surprised to see the NZ stock market up on Monday due to the result!! (Yes, we are that mad about the sport)

Though the general perception this week is that at least you came to play. The first test was a complete abortion, while this one was at least a game (though not reflected on the scoreboard).

NZ rugby is so strong at the moment that nearly every position has a player who would be worthy of putting on a black jersey. We just hope we can crush the wallabies and the springboks in the Tri-Nations to readdress the failing of last year.

Another thing that has come through this tour is that the Lions fans have been a big plus. Little trouble, with lots of fun filled spirit. :thumbsup:

8)

Well all I can say is congratulations - it was a foregone conclusion really. Can't argue with the reuslt. The ABs look pretty much unbeatable imo.

I'm glad it was a better game - all down to the 11 changes that should have been there in the first place. Along with Wilkinson out

The only thing I regret (apart from Woodward being within a 500 mile radius of the team) is that the Lions didn't start off with a positive, attacking (Welsh) team.

I'm looking forward to seeing NZ at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff in November now ! That should be a real game - the Lions tour has just lulled you into a false sense of security !
post #23 of 26
Something I am sure you will like is that most of the NZ commentators are taking the Welsh team to heart!

Not only do they think they are the better players in the Lions squad, but they are also the heart of the team - they are here to play because it is what they like doing. Contrast this to the woeful English lads....

Personally I think the Wales - NZ game was the best game at the WC, and I think that you should have had us. We were far and away a better team, but we didn't want it badly enough.

Care to sell you ticket for the match? I might be over that way then, and it should be a ripper...

post #24 of 26
Quote:
Something I am sure you will like is that most of the NZ commentators are taking the Welsh team to heart!

Not only do they think they are the better players in the Lions squad, but they are also the heart of the team - they are here to play because it is what they like doing. Contrast this to the woeful English lads....

Personally I think the Wales - NZ game was the best game at the WC, and I think that you should have had us. We were far and away a better team, but we didn't want it badly enough.

Care to sell you ticket for the match? I might be over that way then, and it should be a ripper...

Cheers !

I've always loved the NZ style of play - I think that if more northern hemisphere teams (England) do not adopt it then they will be whipping boys (heheh) and left far, far behind.

Unfortunately, I can't see any English players that can play like that. Oh well, never mind

I haven't got a ticket yet. I live in Barcelona but my family are in Wales and always try to get match tickets - when they do they usually get a few for friends so if there is a spare I'll PM you if you're around. Not sure if there will be or not though.

The Lions will probably blow you off the park next week now - maybe not
post #25 of 26
Lions? I thought that Sir CW had learnt his lesson - more Welsh players = more competitive performance. We are expecting to see to a full blooded Welsh team next week!

I got rubbished on another forum when I said that the RWC final was boring. The occasion itself was fantastic. The game itself was mundane.

It should be about flowing attacking rugby, not about who has the better kicker, This is why we Southerners still have hope for you Northerners as the Welsh and Irish teams were more willing to play an expansive game.

And in case people are wondering, me personally, I can't play the game! I grew up playing football (soccer), but if you want to survive in this country learn to love the game!
post #26 of 26
Vintage ABs. A better performance from the Lions, but man-for-man they were always going to lose.

I expect a similar performance this Saturday.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Any Rugby fans here ?