or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Flash drives in future Apple laptops?

Flash drives in future Apple laptops? - Page 2

post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by mike12309
does flash have to match the curve?

Yes and no. Yes, if the Flash drive is to replace hard drives in conventional computers. No, if they are used in here-to-fore impossible applications. If a PowerBook has a hard drive with capacity 100 GB, the customer will not accept the offer of PowerBook with a SSD of capacity 40 GB just because it uses a different technology. OTOH, a PowerTablet that uses a 40 GB SSD might succeed because the SSD allows much longer battery life in a much thinner package than is possible with a hard drive.
Quote:
Originally posted by mike12309
having the OS on a small (4-20GB) flash drive and having other data on a traditional HDD could provide good preformance boost....

My System and root-level Library folders combine for 5.3 GB. My BSD subsystem and Mach kernel add gigabytes more. Parkinson's Law holds. We are fast approaching the day when 20 GB will not be enough to hold everything in a standard OS installation.
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by thesosguy
What about the iPod thing? If these drives are cheap enough that is...

those drives wear out quickly with continuous use. That's why it's not a good idea to boot from one. Also, I believe they're 1" drives not 1.8"
My computer can beat up your computer.
My computer can beat up your computer.
post #43 of 43
Frankly the bus interface has nothing to do with the inherent problems with Flash. Those problems are as described below:

Read and write are not symmetrical. Generally writes to flash are much slower than reads.

Flash is not durable, only so many read cycles can be performed.

Flash isn't particularly dense. You would need many chips for most PC applications.

Now the above items are constantly under attack by the vendors through research and development. That does not mean though that they have taken a leadership position with respect to anything.

For servers Flash just couldn't be counted on at this time. For a portable the argument is different, depending on usage it may be feasable. Such a laptop though would probally be considered experimental or if not that at least something that would have to prove itself in the market.

Where Flash would excell would be in a portable designed with the intention to network with a host machine for transient storage. This would be a tablet or laptop that uses an RF link to store frequently changed data. That is the types of data that tend to wear Flash. Flash might also do well in a clinet machine on a corporate network, agian the server being the key storage area.

Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by mynamehere
That has nothing to do with the read/write speed of flash memory since you did it over USB (ie: the USB is what's slowing down the transfer, not the speed of the flash media itself)

Flash-based internal drives would be ideal in a server-type environment such as a high-traffic web server...right?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Flash drives in future Apple laptops?