or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › China, the US and Oil

China, the US and Oil  

post #1 of 10
Sometimes I wonder if we live in countries or corporations. I mean which way is it?

The following story amazes me.

China's Oil Bid Riles Congress

"Political fears of China's economic might intensified yesterday following China's unsolicited bid to take over a U.S. oil company" "The bid by a state-run Chinese oil company to swallow a U.S. competitor "threw gas on the fire," said Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.)"

"China maintains it is being used in Washington as a scapegoat for the inevitable decline of U.S. manufacturing as jobs continue to slip to lower-cost countries."

So US corporations can eat up corporate assets from other parts of the world such as Ford Motor Company owning Volvo and General Motors owning Saab. But stop the presses that if in this "free market" world in which we live the Chinese wish to make a purchase of an American corporation.

I thought we believed in the "free market" to solve all problems.

I also find it funny that a "communist" country like China uses "free market" business deals as a method to aid in solving an energy crisis at home while the world leader in promoting "free markets" and "democracy" (US of A) go to other countries in the ME and just invade and take war to others for the same purpose.

What is up with this funny old world? \

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #2 of 10
China is an interesting case. The US has little trust for China. We have invested tons of money in China, yet we don't trust them and we worry about their increasing strength. A "communist " nation that uses capitalism to advance itself. Strange indeed. Don't for a minute think that we trust the Chinese or that they trust us. A delicate relationship sustained only my mutual economic interests.
Moe has left the building
Moe has left the building
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Moe_in_Texas
China is an interesting case. The US has little trust for China. We have invested tons of money in China, yet we don't trust them and we worry about their increasing strength. A "communist " nation that uses capitalism to advance itself. Strange indeed. Don't for a minute think that we trust the Chinese or that they trust us. A delicate relationship sustained only my mutual economic interests.

I think it is clear that for each country on the planet "self preservation" is the goal in the long term scheme of things. The question is can this world of ours and the many nations which constitute it "work together" for "mutual preservation"? or Will the strong dominate the weak in true to form evolutionary style?

How can universal civility overcome the fearful animalistic trends towards selfish survival? or is it even possible?

Must it be that only the strong will survive or can a willing, creative and united world work together to meet needs?

Will it get to a point where we are all like a pack of wolves fighting over a piece of raw meat? The difference being only that we are fighting over sources and supplies of energy? The strongest, fastest winning the prize? or is there a way to equitably distribute resources and work together to find creative solutions to provide for future mutual abundance for all?

Fellows

post #4 of 10
The case of China is funny : most occidental companies where very excited by china : a giant market is open.
Now people realise, that China is not only a giant market, ready to absorb all our occidental goods, but also a strong competitor, able to export massively in our occidental contries.
Economy is based upon exchanges : it seems that many people forgot that.
post #5 of 10
Funny, Congress sold out the American people to China & Asia a long long time ago for Big Business but when Big Business is about to be sold out they scream STOP. Its about election Cycle Politics and not much else. Congress is all about corporations and little else these days unless they can make TV on a issue. Big Business owns Congress so this would just be more of the same only now China owns Congress. ironic
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #6 of 10
The issue with this potential takeover is that the entity which would purchase the US oil company is a state-owned enterprise. So if the takeover happens, it would essentially be the Communist Party of China owning a US corporation. Thus the interests of the Chinese state would govern the operational policies of the corporation. From an American point of view, the potential problem would be the influence the Chinese government would be in a position to exert over the energy supply of the United States. This is fundamentally different from the case of Ford owning controlling interests in Volvo and Mazda. In that case, all three companies invovled are publically traded entities. Furthermore, the nation's energy supply is a matter of national security, wheras the ownership of an automobile manufacturer is not. If memory serves me well, there was very little fuss when Dailmer-Benz merged with Chrysler.
post #7 of 10
China practically owns the US anyway. they have been artificially supporting their currency at the expensive of artifially boosting the dollar, by buying US bonds, 48% last year I heard. besides, all of our mega-Stores are absolutely dependant on China: Wallmart, Target, CostCo etc . . .. if China wants to hurt the US they need merely flex a tiny little economic finger and our market crashes
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
China practically owns the US anyway. they have been artificially supporting their currency at the expensive of artifially boosting the dollar, by buying US bonds, 48% last year I heard. besides, all of our mega-Stores are absolutely dependant on China: Wallmart, Target, CostCo etc . . .. if China wants to hurt the US they need merely flex a tiny little economic finger and our market crashes

Thats the jist of it, look at your Mac. Made in China. We were sold out to these guys a long long time ago. Democrats & Republicans.....did what no war could do. Hand over America to the Communist.
post #9 of 10
Seems Communistic planned economy IS better* than the invincible hand, its just a question of who is making the planning

*Better to take over the world, not necessary ensuring the individual the right everybody here thinks as natural.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #10 of 10
A spammer zombied this thread, I'll just lock it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › China, the US and Oil