or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Chipotle Hot Red Chilie Sauce

Chipotle Hot Red Chilie Sauce

post #1 of 18
I am a huge fan of chipotle; but I can't afford to eat there on my diet everyday. While its a 5 min walk from my office, I need to resist. However, something that would help me hold over is a red chili sauce that I can buy in grocery store. Chipotle's hot salsa tasets sooooo good, but I can't find anything in stores that comes close to the flavor.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or even know what the heck I'm talking about?
post #2 of 18
What I'd like to know... How do you pronounce "chipotle"?

The obvious Spanish pronunciation, chee POHT lay? Or something else?
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
What I'd like to know... How do you pronounce "chipotle"?

The obvious Spanish pronunciation, chee POHT lay? Or something else?

I pronounce it chii-pole-lay, where the chii sounds like chip without the "p".

sauce me up folks
post #4 of 18
Chipotle is pronounced chee-POT-tleh. The POT has a not quite long O sound. The tleh comes off sounding almost as two syllables. The word comes directly from the Nuahtl language. It's most well known speakers were the Aztecs. The language is still (relatively) widely known in Mexico.

Without going into the recipe, Chipotle's are basically smoked and sauced Jalapenos.
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
post #5 of 18
It's not the chipotle sauce I am wanting. I am trying to find a store-purchasable alternative to the lovely Tomatillo Red-Chili Salsa that upsets my stomach for 24 hours, and makes for awkward situations at my girlfriend's house when I am there for those 24 hours.

Please help me
post #6 of 18
we always laugh when people from Spain try to say a word with the "tl" or "x" sound. They can't!

Losers.
post #7 of 18
Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but if you're not going to make your own, in my opinion the only decent widely available bottled hot salsa is La Victoria. Ortega and Old El Paso are gross, and even the "hottest" variety isn't hot. Even for the milder varieties, La Victoria tastes fresher.
post #8 of 18
tabasco makes a chipotle sauce that's ok. Otherwise, all "Chipotle" does is add liquid smoke to regular sauce and bingo.
Cat: the other white meat
post #9 of 18
Spline, he's not looking for what we know as chipotle sauce. He's looking for tomato salsa from a restaurant or something called "Chipotle".

maaaaark, if you want to take the La Victoria one step further to make something really fresh and still hot enough, open one bottle of La Victoria "Salsa Victoria" or "Salsa Ranchera", dice up a large fresh tomato or add one small can of diced tomatoes (the canned tomatoes taste fresher than the bottled salsa because the flavors are not mixed and diluted with the other ingredients), dice up half a fresh onion (essential for a "fresh" flavor), and mix. Add some fresh chopped cilantro if you have any.

You'll have the perfect salsa.

La Victoria
post #10 of 18
There's a chain of burrito restaurants called Chipotle. Think of it as Subway for burritos. Really quite good. I eat there about twice a week.

http://www.chipotle.com/
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #11 of 18
My favorite pronunciation is from a Jack-in-the-Box commercial: "chip-ih-tahb-lay"?

chee-poh-tleh

Chipotle is the only enchilada sauce I make. It is too hot for the wife but she suffers through because it's awesome.

AND YOU WILL NEVER KNOW MY SECRET!
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Spline, he's not looking for what we know as chipotle sauce. He's looking for tomato salsa from a restaurant or something called "Chipotle".

Yeah, I've seen 'em. The restaurant chain "Chipotle" is owned by McDonalds, hence my suggestion to add liquid smoke to the sauce of your choice.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
Yeah, I've seen 'em. The restaurant chain "Chipotle" is owned by McDonalds, hence my suggestion to add liquid smoke to the sauce of your choice.

I've never heard of the place. Is it new? Do they have them in San Diego? I can try it this summer when I go out there.
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat

AND YOU WILL NEVER KNOW MY SECRET!

Um, hot sauce?
post #15 of 18
Not sure. There are a lot here in TX. www.chipotle.com or www.chipotlefan.com

I NEED TO FIND THIS HOT SALSA :'(
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
Yeah, I've seen 'em. The restaurant chain "Chipotle" is owned by McDonalds,

From where do you get this info? I thought they were an independent, private company.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
From where do you get this info? I thought they were an independent, private company.

Nope. I read it a few years ago in the Washington Post, which was on the topic of the new Chipotle restaurant in town.
post #18 of 18
If you don't find such a sauce at Hot Hot Hot (search for keyword chipotle), nobody can help you. But be warned.

Their most famous sauces are DOA Cyanide Hot Sauce and Rigor Mortis Hot Sauce
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Chipotle Hot Red Chilie Sauce