or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Novak/Plame

Novak/Plame - Page 9

post #321 of 346
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Might work. A "Being There" sort of thing:

Great film.
proud resident of a failed state
post #322 of 346
Cooper has an interesting piece, out today:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...124234,00.html

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #323 of 346
So does this mean that Bush will nominate Scooter Libby for the Supreme Court?
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #324 of 346
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate

Don't give them any ideas.

post #325 of 346
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate

It means he just moved to the top of the queue for Presidential Pardons in Jan '09, if not sooner.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #326 of 346
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
It means he just moved to the top of the queue for Presidential Pardons in Jan '09, if not sooner.

Think Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #327 of 346
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Think Presidential Medal of Freedom.

post #328 of 346
bumpin' dis
post #329 of 346
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
bumpin' dis

Yep.

This is getting more and more interesting. It appears that leaking of classified information is directly traceable to both Bush and Dick.

Can we impeach them both at once?
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #330 of 346
I hear the crickets chirping that it isn't classified once the president says it isn't...

anyone else hear it?
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #331 of 346
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
I hear the crickets chirping that it isn't classified once the president says it isn't...

anyone else hear it?

The claim is that by releasing it, the President was exercising his authority to de-classify it. It's true that the President can de-classify it, and I suppose it's also true that you can look at this as being what happened.

My problem is - if that's what happened, why on earth wouldn't they have said something about it long ago? If in fact the President - in effect - declassified the information, then there was no crime committed. This would seem to me to be an important piece of information. Why would they not have just said that in the first place?

There's something else going on here.
post #332 of 346
Quote:
Originally posted by OBJRA10

Well, yes.
post #333 of 346
At worse the president did something very very illegal, at best he was using grotesque machiavellian tactics -- neither of these looks good politically...
post #334 of 346
I just realized that the President probably didn't say he approved the declassification of the material to the special prosecutor if and when he was asked. In effect, at that point the President would have perjured himself, perhaps this is the cause of the delayed release of this info? Otherwise, the president would have had to play this entire scenario differently -- from saying that he approved the declassification of the info, to accepting the consequences of appearing machiavellian, he probably would have LOST the election due to this bizarre immoral (yet legal) act.

Edit: I actually don't think that the President declassified Plame's name...
post #335 of 346
from what i read, bush/cheney told scooter to talk to reporters about some report (NIE?). that is the "leak" released. from what i gathered the report contradicts wilson's article. i dont know just how sensitive it was; i tend to think that its not as big of a deal as outing a NOC. still slimey and creepy to declassify info to go after a political enemy, but not quite at NOC level.
post #336 of 346
Quote:
Originally posted by OBJRA10
The claim is that by releasing it, the President was exercising his authority to de-classify it. It's true that the President can de-classify it, and I suppose it's also true that you can look at this as being what happened.

My problem is - if that's what happened, why on earth wouldn't they have said something about it long ago? If in fact the President - in effect - declassified the information, then there was no crime committed. This would seem to me to be an important piece of information. Why would they not have just said that in the first place?

Do you seriously not understand why they didn't want to say, in the middle of an election, that the president approved the outing of a CIA agent to get back at her husband for revealing the truth about a falsehood the president told in his state of the union address in order to convince the country to go to war? Yeah, something else is going on.
post #337 of 346
Yeah, it's a classic case of dontfuckwithmeism.
post #338 of 346
He's done.

Wow.

He will either have to resign, or he will be impeached.

I wonder what his approval rating is now? 25%? Less?

That and the news that the NSA has been looking at ALL data at AT&T...

Breathtaking.

And the censorship of climate scientists, etc. This is really Nazi-esque. It's just stunning. It will probably be a long, long, time before Republicans can recover from this. I see a massive shift in the legislative and executive branches coming in the next few years. I mean why would you even bother running for President as a Republican now. This is great news, and it is scary news. Hopefully the idiot American public will act on this.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #339 of 346
I suspect that if Guilliani runs in 2008, he will win, and the US will become far more draconian...
post #340 of 346
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
He's done.

Wow.

He will either have to resign, or he will be impeached.

I wonder what his approval rating is now? 25%? Less?

That and the news that the NSA has been looking at ALL data at AT&T...

Breathtaking.

And the censorship of climate scientists, etc. This is really Nazi-esque. It's just stunning. It will probably be a long, long, time before Republicans can recover from this. I see a massive shift in the legislative and executive branches coming in the next few years. I mean why would you even bother running for President as a Republican now. This is great news, and it is scary news. Hopefully the idiot American public will act on this.

hahaha

that was good.

he will definitely have to either resign or be impeached.

I can smell the blood in the water now.
post #341 of 346
Not with people like you in charge.
post #342 of 346
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...International/

Quote:
The AP-Ipsos poll is loaded with grim election-year news for a party struggling to stay in office. In the poll of 1,003 adults conducted this week, nearly 70 per cent said the country is headed in the wrong direction -- the largest percentage during the Bush presidency and up 13 points from a year ago...Just 36 per cent of respondents approved of Mr. Bush's job performance, his lowest rating to date in AP-Ipsos polling.

additional news snippets about that poll..
Only 40 percent of the public approves of Bush's performance on foreign policy and the war on terror, another low-water mark for his presidency.

Just 35 percent of the public approves of Bush's handling of Iraq, his lowest in AP-Ipsos polling.

By a 49-33 margin, the public favours Democrats over Republicans when asked which party should control Congress.

That 16-point Democratic advantage is the largest the party has enjoyed in AP-Ipsos polling."

o Bush's approval rating looks like it will slide in to the low 30s...

It's a rough time to be a Republican.
post #343 of 346
Reports are beginning to surface that Rove's been indicted.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/ope...indicted_o.htm

Quote:
Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald spent more than half a day Friday at the offices of Patton Boggs, the law firm representing Karl Rove.

During the course of that meeting, Fitzgerald served attorneys for former Deputy White House Chief of Staff Karl Rove with an indictment charging the embattled White House official with perjury and lying to investigators related to his role in the CIA leak case, and instructed one of the attorneys to tell Rove that he has 24 hours to get his affairs in order, high level sources with direct knowledge of the meeting said Saturday morning.

Robert Luskin, Rove's attorney, did not return a call for comment. Sources said Fitzgerald was in Washington, DC, Friday and met with Luskin for about 15 hours to go over the charges against Rove, which include perjury and lying to investigators about how and when Rove discovered that Valerie Plame Wilson was a covert CIA operative and whether he shared that information with reporters, sources with direct knowledge of the meeting said.

It was still unknown Saturday whether Fitzgerald charged Rove with a more serious obstruction of justice charge. Sources close to the case said Friday that it appeared very likely that an obstruction charge against Rove would be included with charges of perjury and lying to investigators.

An announcement by Fitzgerald is expected to come this week, sources close to the case said. However, the day and time is unknown. Randall Samborn, a spokesman for the special prosecutor was unavailable for comment. In the past, Samborn said he could not comment on the case.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #344 of 346
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
o Bush's approval rating looks like it will slide in to the low 30s...

That graph makes me think we're long overdue for a fresh serving of piping hot, rally-round-the-prez war. Wonder what the holdup is?
post #345 of 346
Quote:
Originally posted by Towel
That graph makes me think we're long overdue for a fresh serving of piping hot, rally-round-the-prez war. Wonder what the holdup is?

One of BushCorp's popularity spikes came with the capture of Saddam Hussein. The obvious ploy that comes to mind, without having to start another war, is 'the capture' of Osama bin Laden (or one of the other "al qaeda" honchos) just before the November midterms. If bin Laden is already dead which was widely reported shortly after the 9-11 attacks then he's probably been in deep-frozen storage in some military facility, and will be thawed out and presented to the public at a time of BushCorp's choosing.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #346 of 346
I actually didn't think Bush could fall below 30%, assuming that was some kind of hardest of the hardcore, but one poll has put him at 29%, and there seem to be a lot of investigations/indictments/convictions pending ( Abramoff fallout, Cunningham/Wilkes fallout, Goss/Foggo whatever the hell that is, the phone jamming case, bad mojo in the Kentucky and Ohio state houses, plus renewed interest in the Plame case with, as noted above, reports that Rove is about to be indicted and new questions about Cheney's involvement).

Add what figures to be only more bad news from Iraq, a new hurricane season approaching which may draw attention to the fact that Bush's big "renewal" initiative has actually done jack shit (gosh, there's a shocker--when he posed for his photo ops with his sleeves rolled up he seemed so determined), the good chance their are yet more revelations about NSA spying, and I'm wondering if this guy is going to beat out Nixon as most despised president.

Apparently the "push back" is supposed to be a photo-op ready big deployment of national guard troops along the Mexican border (men with guns in shiny new ATVs!) to placate the base, but I'm guessing somebody might have the poor taste to mention that Bush signed legislation in 2005 that was supposed to put 10,000 bodies on the border but offered a budget '06 budget that only funds a couple hundred.

And if Rove is indicted, his divided attentions would bode very ominously for the midterms, since his orchestration of attack and slander is really pretty much the Republicans will have going for them.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Novak/Plame