or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › London Terror Attack: Politics

London Terror Attack: Politics - Page 9

post #321 of 369
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Baited breath is just a gross image.

I prefer my breath "bated," thank you.

Main Entry: 1bate Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: bt, usu -d.+V
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -ed/-ing/-s
Etymology: Middle English baten, short for abaten to abate (beat down)
transitive verb
1 : to reduce the force or intensity of : MODERATE, RESTRAIN <he bated his breath>
2 : to take away : DEDUCT, SUBTRACT <that grave and orderly senior was not going to bate a jot of his dignity -- George Eliot>
3 archaic : to lower especially in amount or estimation : DIMINISH, LESSEN <and I shall have to bate my price -- A.E.Housman>
4 archaic : to make dull the point or edge of : BLUNT <and now I have bated your curiosity -- J.F.Cooper>
5 : to leave out of consideration : EXCEPT, OMIT <bating their jewels ... I would not give three sous -- Laurence Sterne>
6 archaic : DEPRIVE <when baseness is exalted do not bate the place its honor for the person's sake -- George Herbert>
intransitive verb, dialect : to fall off : DIMINISH, DECREASE <the wind is bating>

Citation format for this entry:

"bate." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (16 Jul. 2005).

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #322 of 369
Quote:
Originally posted by stupider...likeafox
Doesn't he say that the 'company', rather than the drill, consists of a thousand people. It sounds like the drill/scenario was just a roomfull of people.

Yes, exactly.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #323 of 369
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ain_suicide_dc

Quote:
The Daily Mirror report said several factors cast doubt on the suicide theory -- two of the men had pregnant wives, they did not carry the explosives strapped to their bodies, and they bought return rail tickets from Luton to London.

It quoted unnamed security sources as suggesting the bombers may have been duped into believing they could escape unscathed.

Perhaps a simple explanation is that the bombers were paid to be unwitting couriers by a third party, and the bombs were then set off shortly afterwards, either by remote or by inbuilt timing devices.
post #324 of 369
or perhaps they were brainwashed by and extremist and sent to kill themselves along with a bunch of innocent people.
Moe has left the building
post #325 of 369
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo

Perhaps a simple explanation is that the bombers were paid to be unwitting couriers by a third party, and the bombs were then set off shortly afterwards, either by remote or by inbuilt timing devices.

Just a question: do we know if the 9/11 hijackers bought round-trip tickets?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #326 of 369
Quote:

The Daily Mirror report said several factors cast doubt on the suicide theory -- two of the men had pregnant wives, they did not carry the explosives strapped to their bodies, and they bought return rail tickets from Luton to London.

It quoted unnamed security sources as suggesting the bombers may have been duped into believing they could escape unscathed.

A)One way ticket purchases are being flagged.
B)Not carrying the explosives attached to their bodies doesn't mean anything.

You are right that perhaps the actual bombers did not know the exact time the explosives were set. Perhaps their handlers didn't trust them to follow though, maybe specifically the ones with pregnant wives and they wanted to have a failsafe...i.e. tell them the bombs are going off 10 minutes later than they actually were timed to go off. Perhaps they were not paid, perhaps the 'third party' was their leader, perhaps they were duped into thinking this act would send them to heaven, perhaps they didn't think it was a suicide mission, just one of mass murder.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #327 of 369
Quote:

I seem to recall they were one way.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #328 of 369
Quote:

Note: Buying one-way train tickets is FAR more common/"less suspicious" than one-way plane tickets. Traveling Europe by rail, one often takes a string of one-way rides.

(Or is serendipity outlawed now?)
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #329 of 369
In Farenhype 9/11, they interview Dick Morris, who gives a brief description of how Al Gore headed up a search for way a spot bad guys getting on planes, an AlGorythm (Morris' joke, not mine) to figure it out -- and it worked on 9/11, they just didn't do enough with the information.

post #330 of 369
Quote:

That is an unknown, one of many. There are no credit card records of ticket purchases by any of the alleged hijackers. The airline manifests do not even show anyone with middle-eastern/Arabic names on any of the four flights.

How about this: try contacting Saudi Telecom and ask for Abdulaziz al Omari, one of their engineers. According to the FBI's website, he was one of the hijackers on board Flight 11 which hit the North Tower of the World Trade Center. He was one of several of the alleged hijackers interviewed by a number of media outlets following the attacks. Ask Mr. al Omari if he bought a round trip ticket, and while you're at it, ask him if he paid for it with cash. This may help the FBI clear up some questions.

Saudi pilot Walid Al Shehri could shed some light on this as well. He was also one of the five that the FBI said had deliberately crashed American Airlines Flight 11 into the World Trade Center. His photograph was released right after the attacks, and shortly afterwards he appeared in newspapers and on television around the world (but not in the USA). At the time of the attacks he was in Casablanca, Morocco. I don't know if he actually lives there, or if he was just there because of his job but according to the FBI, he was the man who was at the controls of Flight 11. Maybe he bought a round trip ticket? It's a relevant question, certainly. There are some others you could also look up, such as Saeed Alghamdi and Khalid Al Midhar.
post #331 of 369
I think that Tony Blair is going to clean house in the UK. I belive that he is going to lead a domestic war on terror that will surpasses the weak attempts of the Bush administration. Blair does nor seem to concerned about offending people and seems committed to doing what needs to be done.

From the BBC:

"Mr Blair denied the attacks were a result of the Iraq war.

He said the "roots of this are deep" and terror attacks went back more than a decade.

Mr Blair again denied the London attacks were a result of the Iraq war and said terrorism would only be defeated by "going after the ideas of these people ... taking them on and defeating them". "

Hunt down the terrorists. Shut down the radical clerics. It's time to drop the PC approach and call these people out. Radical Islam is real and must be destroyed.
post #332 of 369
I think what's likely to happen is just that he's going to lean on the Muslim community to out their radicals.

Edit: To which I add this: I wish someone would do that with the Christians, too.
post #333 of 369
Edited, 'cause there's no point in rehashing this issue.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #334 of 369
Do not start this Christianity vs. Islam shit.

I'll say it one more time:
proud resident of a failed state
post #335 of 369
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat

I'll say it one more time:

Gröverat and Frank777: My comment was not intended to re-start that silly debate. My point, however oblique, was that asking mainstream authorities within a religion to root out "radicals" of any faith is a difficult, if not impossible taskespecially when you consider that Islam and Christianity are both massive.

While I think that, for the time being, this is the best thing to do (i.e. lean on the Muslim leaders in London to out their radicals), I don't know that it would do any good, in the end. These radical movements (whether in Christianity or Islam) are underground and opposed to the mainstream for a reason, so "outing" them seems like it will have little or not effect.

Again, I can't think of anything better that might be done, but I doubt whether anything will come of it.

Blair is apparently going to call a "summit" of world leaders affected by international terrorism. Let's hope that something good comes out of it. Frankly, I like the idea of Britain taking point on this. One thing that most of us here agree on is that US leadership on this topic hasn't been as effective as we'd like.
post #336 of 369
Quote:
Gröverat and Frank777: My comment was not intended to re-start that silly debate. My point, however oblique, was that asking mainstream authorities within a religion to root out "radicals" of any faith is a difficult, if not impossible taskespecially when you consider that Islam and Christianity are both massive.

While I think that, for the time being, this is the best thing to do (i.e. lean on the Muslim leaders in London to out their radicals), I don't know that it would do any good, in the end. These radical movements (whether in Christianity or Islam) are underground and opposed to the mainstream for a reason, so "outing" them seems like it will have little or not effect.

It's the "I'm not going to tell mom you broke her vase, I'm going to ask her if she knows about it." that groverat was talking about.

post #337 of 369
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
It's the "I'm not going to tell mom you broke her vase, I'm going to ask her if she knows about it." that groverat was talking about.

Huh?
post #338 of 369
Talking about the subject by pretending you're not actually talking about it.

If mom knows then by telling her you are saying it wasn't you.
If she doesn't know you are telling her it is broken and, again, telling her it wasn't you.

[edit]
Way too many contractions.
post #339 of 369
Quote:
Originally posted by Moe_in_Texas
I think that Tony Blair is going to clean house in the UK. I belive that he is going to lead a domestic war on terror that will surpasses the weak attempts of the Bush administration. Blair does nor seem to concerned about offending people and seems committed to doing what needs to be done.

From the BBC:

"Mr Blair denied the attacks were a result of the Iraq war.

He said the "roots of this are deep" and terror attacks went back more than a decade.

Mr Blair again denied the London attacks were a result of the Iraq war and said terrorism would only be defeated by "going after the ideas of these people ... taking them on and defeating them". "

Hunt down the terrorists. Shut down the radical clerics. It's time to drop the PC approach and call these people out. Radical Islam is real and must be destroyed.

Right on, it must be done everywhere.
If Egypt says it wants their radicals back, give them to 'em!
post #340 of 369
Quote:
Originally posted by Tulkas
A)One way ticket purchases are being flagged.

This never made any sense to me, on planes or trains or anything. Like an international terror cells is going to be so concerned about saving a few bucks that they'll go out of their way to buy one-way tickets? if you can even dig up the option to do that on Orbitz. And for all the trouble, they probably wouldn't save any bucks anyway - any terrorist would realize that one-ways often cost as much, or more, than a round trip (so long as you extend it to include a Saturday night stay).

But on topic, what's the deal with all four of these fizzling? Does that strike anyone else as incredibly odd? The bomb-maker last time was obviously competent, if nothing else. If this was the same guy, how could he get 100% incompetent so fast? And if someone else, wouldn't he have gotten lucky at least once? Or, since the only plausible explanation is a systemic but precise flaw in how he assembled the things, wouldn't he have practiced first?
post #341 of 369
Quote:
Originally posted by Towel
This never made any sense to me, on planes or trains or anything. Like an international terror cells is going to be so concerned about saving a few bucks that they'll go out of their way to buy one-way tickets? if you can even dig up the option to do that on Orbitz. And for all the trouble, they probably wouldn't save any bucks anyway - any terrorist would realize that one-ways often cost as much, or more, than a round trip (so long as you extend it to include a Saturday night stay).

In fact, they would buy a round-way ticket on purpose because they would avoid any suspicion from the authorities. When you buy a round-way ticket, they presume you plan to come back. You could theoretically make the attack when you come back, but that doesn't make sens.

So I'd bet they bought round-way tickets on purpose, just to avoid suspicion.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #342 of 369
Quote:
Originally posted by Towel

But on topic, what's the deal with all four of these fizzling? Does that strike anyone else as incredibly odd? The bomb-maker last time was obviously competent, if nothing else. If this was the same guy, how could he get 100% incompetent so fast? And if someone else, wouldn't he have gotten lucky at least once? Or, since the only plausible explanation is a systemic but precise flaw in how he assembled the things, wouldn't he have practiced first?

Struck me as odd too, if this is the same group. But then, the first round didn't all go off together as seemingly planned. I suppose, if you were putting them together assembly line style, then in any batch, a problem with one might be in all. For instance, they may have got a batch of bad detonators. Or, were over-confident and cut corners in the assembly. Or it was a copy-cat or adherent who didn't follow all the instructions fully and skipped or botched the same portion each time.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #343 of 369
Quote:
Struck me as odd too, if this is the same group. But then, the first round didn't all go off together as seemingly planned. I suppose, if you were putting them together assembly line style, then in any batch, a problem with one might be in all. For instance, they may have got a batch of bad detonators. Or, were over-confident and cut corners in the assembly. Or it was a copy-cat or adherent who didn't follow all the instructions fully and skipped or botched the same portion each time.

According to Scotland Yard, all 4 detonators went off... (hence the loud 'bangs')...with enough force in one instance to rip apart the backpack/rucksack that contained on of the bombs. A detonator exploding with that amount of force definitely should have been easily enough of a shock to fire off main charge of explosives. What failed? Were there any explosives attached to those detonators? All four bombs of 7/7 went off as (presumably) intended. The chance of just one bomb failing, when its detonator exploded, seems unlikely. If, for example...the chance of a bomb failing is one in four or 25%...(which is being very generous)..then the chances of all four failing is about 0.004, or 0.4%, or 1 in 256. Say the chances of a successful detonation failing to set of a main explosive charge is 1 in 10...then the chance of all 4 failing in that manner is 1 in 10,000, or 0.01%.

These probabilities are, of course, wild guesses....but since detonators that explode almost always accomplish their sole job and reason to exis, namely to set off a main charge...then perhaps one conclusion that shouldn't be overlooked....was that there were no explosive charges attached to any of those bombs. Why not? The bombers' and parent organization (whoever they may be), already having caused a huge casualty count of dead and injured, didn't even have to go as far as using explosives this time...the main effect this time was to twist the already frayed nerves of Londoners a few notches tighter.

Next:

Regarding security of soft targets:

Terrorists will always be free to plant and set off bombs etc. etc. against soft targets anyever they wish: It is impossible to stringently police every potential target in the United States, a huge country, and it would require security forces of *tens of millions* of properly trained people. (This, of course, applies to anywhere on the planet). In the western industrialized world, especially here in the United States, there are so many tens of thousands of soft targets for "the terrorists" to choose, in so many towns and cities, over the last n years. If terrorism was the ever present threat the way it is being sold to us, then "they" could have accomplished any number of attacks in so many places, in an ongoing and regular basis. Shopping malls, trains stations, sports stadiums, hotels, casinos, concert venues, clubs, churches, synagogues, mosques, discos, arcades...,....in fact any places where crowds of people are gathered together...the list is endless. After all....havent we been told that there are "thousands" of al qaeda and related "sleeper cells" all over America, who have blended into mainstream Amerian life..and have been for years before 9-11? How active are these groups, these cells, these alleged evil persons of malintent, whose supposed reason to exist is to destroy western civilization as we know know it?

The fact that international terrorist incidents are extremely rare on the US mainland (there is far more likelihood of being struck by lightning than by a terrorist's bomb).....just goes to show that either these 'al qaeda' etc cells'are not just quiescent, but more likely non-existent, phoney or fabricated, merely a toolforf fear-mongering put upon the people to allow the easy passages of controversial freedom-trashing legislation and other Un-American activities. Apparently, "they" (whoever the hell "they" may be) hate our freedoms, according to President Bush and company. In the same way, with the passage of their beloved fascistic Patriot Act, which has little chance of preventing determined terrorist bombers against soft targets, but instead trashes so many fundamental American ideals, it looks more as if the Bush crowd hates our freedoms just as much as the legendary (and probably largely fictitious and fabricated) "Islamic threat".

Perhaps a logical and unappetizing conclusion is that they are co-existing in a mutual and vicious symbiotic hate-fest.
post #344 of 369
Quote:

It is odd. My thinking is that it's either a copycat event or a particular cell were worried that the authorities investigating 7/7 were on to them.

So maybe they rushed an attack without proper planning.
post #345 of 369
The last bombs were RDX IIRC, so these apparently were stovetop syntex. If you don't 'cook the dope' right the mixture won't "explode" or combust at the required pressure/tempature.

post #346 of 369
The cells in the US arent imagenary, the cells existed before 9/11 and were involved in 9/11, and before that the4 WTC bombing.

I believe they dont act until they can pull off a large scale hit. They are here.
Thanks to Bush's inactivity on the porous borders, and Canada letting in immigrants without background checks.
post #347 of 369
Damn you, Freedom!!! You've destroyed us all!!!
post #348 of 369
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
It is odd. My thinking is that it's either a copycat event or a particular cell were worried that the authorities investigating 7/7 were on to them.

So maybe they rushed an attack without proper planning.

I was thinking about that, maybe their RDX/Syntex supply has been infiltrated/subverted; maybe they got sold blocks of modeling clay instead.

post #349 of 369
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
The cells in the US arent imagenary, the cells existed before 9/11 and were involved in 9/11,

True. One group of five of the alleged hijackers lived in a motel right outside the gates of the National Security Agency headquarters at Fort Meade a few miles outside of Washington DC. Three of the other alleged hijackers lived in San Diego, shared the apartment with a well-vetted FBI undercover agent, and they also had a number of close contacts in the US Navy.

:oi:

Quote:
and before that the WTC bombing.

But not quite as simple as it seems. Look up the material on the relationships between FBI agent John Anticev, FBI informant Edam Salem, Ramzi Yousef and others.

oi.

Quote:
I believe they dont act until they can pull off a large scale hit. They are here. Thanks to Bush's inactivity on the porous borders, and Canada letting in immigrants without background checks.

Perhaps the "inactivity" is because it is known within the loop that the real threat is a fabrication, an exaggeration.
post #350 of 369
Quote:
True. One group of five of the alleged hijackers lived in a motel right outside the gates of the National Security Agency headquarters at Fort Meade a few miles outside of Washington DC. Three of the other alleged hijackers lived in San Diego, shared the apartment with a well-vetted FBI undercover agent, and they also had a number of close contacts in the US Navy.

:oi:

But not quite as simple as it seems. Look up the material on the relationships between FBI agent John Anticev, FBI informant Edam Salem, Ramzi Yousef and others.

oi.

Perhaps the "inactivity" is because it is known within the loop that the real threat is a fabrication, an exaggeration.

I find it interesting that you 'know' more about the backgounds of these terrorists than we or the mainstream media does. Could it be that your 'sources' are frauds?
post #351 of 369
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
I find it interesting that you 'know' more about the backgounds of these terrorists than we or the mainstream media does. Could it be that your 'sources' are frauds?

It is quite possible that they are, yes. All of the facts I mentioned were from mainstream media reports. CNN, BBC, etc
post #352 of 369
Did I miss the thread discussing the shooting of the Brazilian or is that discussion taboo until we find a way to implicate Bush and the American military?
post #353 of 369
Moe's membership in the Bush Cult of Personality notwithstanding, I find myself wondering what the hell was up with that Brazillian guy.
post #354 of 369
Quote:
Moe's membership in the Bush Cult of Personality notwithstanding, I find myself wondering what the hell was up with that Brazillian guy.

That Brazilian guy....hmmm...most of the media swallowed the UK Government's lies about the "bulky jacket, etc" that hid a suspected bomb, which was used as the 'justification' for executing him. At least the Guardian has a little more journalistic adventure than the weasel brigade:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...537457,00.html
post #355 of 369
Quote:
That Brazilian guy....hmmm...most of the media swallowed the UK Government's lies about the "bulky jacket, etc" that hid a suspected bomb, which was used as the 'justification' for executing him. At least the Guardian has a little more journalistic adventure than the weasel brigade:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...537457,00.html

Great. But that story doesn't explain anything. Why did he get singled out? Why was he trailed? Why did the police fire?
post #356 of 369
Quote:
Originally posted by Moe_in_Texas
Did I miss the thread discussing the shooting of the Brazilian or is that discussion taboo until we find a way to implicate Bush and the American military?

We have been sort of discussing it in this thread.
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #357 of 369
Did anyone see THIS?

http://www.radarmagazine.com/web-onl...-tick-boom.php

So Bush's Homeland Security and DoJ botched investigations that could have prevented the London bombing.

Ow.

No wonder mainstream media won't touch it.

Ow.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #358 of 369
FYI:

Police have now arrested all 4 suspected bombers in the failed "2nd" round of attacks on July 21.
  • 1 in Birmingham yesterday (Tazered)
    (the Metropolitan police chief reportedly criticized those who tazered that suspect rather than providing a few new 9mm skull openings, but it looks like the correct decision because dead men can't reveal their accomplices and it appears that the remaining arrests were in part aided by information provided by that suspect while in custody)
  • 2 in London today (CS gas in apartment, both alive and in custody, if a bit teary-eyed)
    ITV/Daily Mail bought video footage from a neighbour across the street that actually shows the "swat team" firing CS gas into the apartment and getting the guys out in skivvies with hands up... gripping footage
  • 1 in Rome with the help of the Italian police (tracked due to use of a Rome Cell phone shortly after the bombings and subsequent calls he made [from the same phone - idiot] in the last two days from Paris, Milan, and Rome)
very effective policework.

Note to AG Gonzales and GWB... no torture required. All suspected terrorists caught in a week.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #359 of 369
Well done indeed.
post #360 of 369
They did it in a really professional, calm way. They *talked* one guy out. Imagine.
meh
meh
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › London Terror Attack: Politics