I had a 5 day break in NYC over Easter. I found the NY City pass to be of really good value. If you have time before your departure, buy it online and save waiting in the queues, especially at the Empire State Building.
You can find details at www.citypass.com
. The pass will cost you $53 for 7 days but saves you both time (bypassing the queues) and money.
Take a trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. You do need to book ahead and you can find information at NPS Statue of Liberty - Plan Your Visit
and ferry information at Circle Lines Statue Reservations Website
. Take heed of the warning to arrive 2 - 3 hours beforehand. With the heightened security, you will need it and even for the earliest tours, there are large queues and potenial of missing your allocated tour.
Some free things to do:
- Visit one of the city's Apple stores
- Central Park
- Take a walk down 5th Avenue (there are some toy aka gadget stores around)
- Visit Times Square at night
- Toys R Us and Virgin Megastore at Times Square
- B&H on 9th Avenue if you are into camera. This is photographer heaven
- Chinatown and Little Italy
- State Library
For a cheap hotel, try the Red Roof on W32nd St. Its just down the street from Penn St station, and around the corner from the Empire State Building.
A good resource for any trip is Trip Advisor
Hope that helps.