or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Where are IE 5 settings held?

Where are IE 5 settings held?

post #1 of 4
Happy New year to all, and I have a beginner's question: I run IE 5 on OS 8.5 and in the past couple of days have had various extension problems not yet fully resolved.

One result is that IE 5 reinstalled itself (why, I'm not sure) and all my Favorites were wiped out. Assuming they haven't been irretrievably deleted, where would they be held, and can I reinstall them?

Thanks for any assistance.
post #2 of 4
They are located in a file called "favorites" which is in your "Explorer" folder, nested in your "Prefs" folder, which is in your "Sys" Folder, which is on your drive. You may have lost them. I always back them up once a month.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #3 of 4
For anyone on OS X who is looking for this information, it's in /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Explorer/ .
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
post #4 of 4
Sorry about the delay getting back to you, and thanks for the reply. I think they must have been overwritten by IE, as what is located in the Favorites file are the new preferences.

I tried using Sherlock to see if there were any other Favorites files, and found one in a folder called "Saved By ICW", but those were a brand new set of favorites, not my customised ones.

I might try using Norton to see if it can retrieve my old Favorites from the Trash, but I don't hold out much hope!

Thanks for your assistance anyway, and if you have any more tips, they'd be very welcome!

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: alanwoollcombe ]

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: alanwoollcombe ]</p>
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Where are IE 5 settings held?