or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › What software will be bundled with Apple's new iMac

What software will be bundled with Apple's new iMac

post #1 of 26
When Apple announces their new iMac (hopefully announce that is) what software titles will be bundled with the system? I can only think the following titles (Mac OS X titles):

Definites

iMovie
iTunes
Internet Explorer
Croc-Rally Game
Adobe Acrobat Reader
AOL & Earthlink

Maybe's

Quicken Deluxe (I'm heistant on this one)
Captain Bumper Game

Can anyone think of others??

Thanks
post #2 of 26
AppleWorks
Maybe World Book for OS X

otherwise I can't think of any others.
post #3 of 26
They'll probably bundle "OttoMatic" the spiffy new game from Pangea.

<a href="http://www.pangeasoft.net/otto/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.pangeasoft.net/otto/index.html</a>
Registered 2001? My God has it been that long?!
post #4 of 26
iDVD if there is a superdrive for sure!
any other iApp... (iPhoto, etc.)

you know, why doesn't Apple just roll all these "free" iapps into the OS (like MSFT does) so it is easyer to upgrade them (via s/w update instead of installers)?

-Paul
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #5 of 26
I think they do appear in software update. at least itunes does. hasn't been a free update for either iMovie 2 or iDVD in a while so can't say on those
post #6 of 26
Since we're on the subject of bundling software there's a small gripe I'd like to get off my chest.

I've bought iMacs, PowerBooks and PowerMacs and there's one thing that always manages to sour my new Mac purchasing experience: The bundled software.

Well, I bought my iMac and it came with mp3s, games, AppleWorks and a ton of other goodies pre-loaded.

So then I bought my G4 desktop which came with nothing in the free software department. I just spent 3x more on it and I got nothing! I know, I know, '"it's for prosumers who don't want games." But I do!

So now I just got my new PowerBook G4 and suprise suprise, no games, no gigs of free mp3s, no AppleWorks etc. etc.

I just wish Apple made a 'Bonus' CD for the pro people who can then opt to install it or not. Then the prescious hard drive space wouldn't be 'wasted' on free mp3s, games, apps etc. But if you wanted them you could have them.

/end rant.

-Y
post #7 of 26
[quote]Originally posted by Ybot:
<strong>Since we're on the subject of bundling software there's a small gripe I'd like to get off my chest.

I've bought iMacs, PowerBooks and PowerMacs and there's one thing that always manages to sour my new Mac purchasing experience: The bundled software.

Well, I bought my iMac and it came with mp3s, games, AppleWorks and a ton of other goodies pre-loaded.

So then I bought my G4 desktop which came with nothing in the free software department. I just spent 3x more on it and I got nothing! I know, I know, '"it's for prosumers who don't want games." But I do!

So now I just got my new PowerBook G4 and suprise suprise, no games, no gigs of free mp3s, no AppleWorks etc. etc.

I just wish Apple made a 'Bonus' CD for the pro people who can then opt to install it or not. Then the prescious hard drive space wouldn't be 'wasted' on free mp3s, games, apps etc. But if you wanted them you could have them.

/end rant.

-Y</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly why (rumored) Apple will be bundling the same apps on the towers. They were (rumored) under the assumtion power users didn't care about AppleWorks, games etc.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #8 of 26
Apple should bundle Office or at least Word/Entourage in every pro product. Make the mac a viable pc alternative straight outta the box.
post #9 of 26
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>Apple should bundle Office or at least Word/Entourage in every pro product. Make the mac a viable pc alternative straight outta the box.</strong><hr></blockquote>

MS would make Apple pay out the ass no?
Would be sweet tho...

-Paul
post #10 of 26
who knows. MS would just have a bigger Office monopoly.
post #11 of 26
Damnit... the one time I'm "in the know" about something, I've personally sworn not to say anything about it... and the key programmers browse various BBs including AI, IIRC. Aarrggg...

Now I finally know how the real insiders feel.

I guess I can try to give a really vague hint: versions of this program have been on the Mac for years and it has already been rewritten and released for X.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
post #12 of 26
[quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:
<strong>Damnit... the one time I'm "in the know" about something, I've personally sworn not to say anything about it... and the key programmers browse various BBs including AI, IIRC. Aarrggg...

Now I finally know how the real insiders feel.

I guess I can try to give a really vague hint: versions of this program have been on the Mac for years and it has already been rewritten and released for X.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds like Office to me. :-)

Uh... and dozens of other things. :-)

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: abulsme ]</p>
post #13 of 26
[quote]Originally posted by abulsme:
<strong>Sounds like Office to me. :-)</strong><hr></blockquote>
Well, I don't know anything about Office, but this item isn't nearly as expensive as Office.
post #14 of 26
Word Perfect?
post #15 of 26
[quote]Word Perfect?<hr></blockquote>
Duh no. read carefully.
[quote]I guess I can try to give a really vague hint: versions of this program have been on the Mac for years and it has already been rewritten and released for X.<hr></blockquote>
try Appleworks.
four more beers, four more beers
four more beers, four more beers
post #16 of 26
Yes, a new version of AppleWorks would be nice too...

Ah, wtf, here's another biggie hint: it's not made by Apple, but the developers are truly dedicated to the Mac platform. As long as a full month ago, this product had already been tested and certified to be bundled with Mac OS X "Pro" CPUs "next year." Apple has aquired rights to do so, but that doesn't guarantee that they'll actually do it.

Still, I can't imagine them going to all that trouble an d then not bundle it.

Can't... say... any... more...

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
post #17 of 26
please be talking about photoshop X

oh please oh please oh please...
Dfn Eupfhoria: the joy of playing the 21st level of marathon.
Dfn Eupfhoria: the joy of playing the 21st level of marathon.
post #18 of 26
Let's hope MS Office is.
post #19 of 26
I can also think of DAVE, Drive 10 (or Tech Tool X), Retrospect and VPC.

Play 20 questions? Yes or no answers only.
post #20 of 26
FaxSTF?
It was just released for X not too long ago and it used to be bundled with Macs to provide a fax solution
"Moo" said the chicken
"Cluck" said the cow
Dr. Frankenstein rubbed his hands together with glee
"Moo" said the chicken
"Cluck" said the cow
Dr. Frankenstein rubbed his hands together with glee
post #21 of 26
Good one, and it's a nicely done Cocoa app.
post #22 of 26
Like I said, this app started back on the old Mac OS and has been rewritten for X. It's been out for some time now on X; lots of people have it. It's not a free app, but it's nowhere near as expensive as Office. I believe Apple has a great number of licenses so the app will be pre-registered on the Macs or include a registration key.

I'll say one last thing before I leave tonight. There has been some controversy and minor public outcry about a certain "feature" of this app.

zzzzzziiip! My lips are sealed!

If this thread loses interest and drops off the forums listing, I'll be sure to bring it back up on the 7th to explain how my messages related to the app.
post #23 of 26
Well, if anyone still cares, the app I was alluding to was none other thaaaaaan...

[insert drumroll]

Snapz Pro X!

Yeah, yeah, I'm sure ya'll were expecting Office v.X or Photoshop or Final Cut Pro...

Andrew made his announcement <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=37&t=001830" target="_blank">here on the MacNN boards</a>.

BTW, the "controversy and minor public outcry about a certain 'feature' of this app" I was referring to was the new registration method. There's a four-page thread in MacNN's X Software forum debating it. It's really no big deal, people. Sheesh...
post #24 of 26
[quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:
<strong>Well, if anyone still cares, the app I was alluding to was none other thaaaaaan...

[insert drumroll]

Snapz Pro X!

Yeah, yeah, I'm sure ya'll were expecting Office v.X or Photoshop or Final Cut Pro...

Andrew made his announcement <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=37&t=001830" target="_blank">here on the MacNN boards</a>.

BTW, the "controversy and minor public outcry about a certain 'feature' of this app" I was referring to was the new registration method. There's a four-page thread in MacNN's X Software forum debating it. It's really no big deal, people. Sheesh...</strong><hr></blockquote>

that was my original guess and then you made it seem like a bigger app.

its included on the iMac?
post #25 of 26
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>its included on the iMac?</strong><hr></blockquote>
Sorry, but nope. As I said before, it's only on the "pro" machines, aka. the PowerMac G4 towers. I just posted in this thread since I didn't want to make a whole separate thread for it.

Hmmph, some "pro" machines...
(couldn't resist!)
post #26 of 26
With the new iMac you get iTunes 2, iMovie 2, iPhoto, iTools, iDVD 2 (on SuperDrive-equipped systems only), QuickTime, AppleWorks 6, Mail, Microsoft Internet Explorer, AOL, Quicken 2002 Deluxe, World Book Mac OS X Edition, Otto Matic (3D Game), Mac OS X Chess, PCalc, Acrobat Reader and FAXstf 10.0 Preview.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: High On Mac ]</p>
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › What software will be bundled with Apple's new iMac