or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Surefire Indicator That Apple Will Soon Release New Hardware
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Surefire Indicator That Apple Will Soon Release New Hardware

post #1 of 188
Thread Starter 
It has happened everytime for the last 2-3 years. Apple releases an onslaught of software updates; THEN, the following week we see some new hardware.

Will it hold up after this weeks smattering of updates including iSync 2.1, Mac OS X 10.4.2, iPhoto 5.0.3, Airport 4.2, DVD Studio Pro 4.0.1, Final Cut Pro 5.0.2, SoundTrack Pro 1.0.1...

It clears the gates and assures the buying public that they are continuing to address these customers concerns and brings assurance that they are working for us.

Will my theory hold true? We shall see in a couple days.
post #2 of 188
I didn't know about that. It does link with the lengthy iBook & Mini shipping times.
post #3 of 188
Yes. Its a sure sign. The update of FCP proves that the mini will be updated...
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #4 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
The update of FCP proves that the mini will be updated...

How so? Is there something in the FCP update that references new Mac minis?
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #5 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
How so? Is there something in the FCP update that references new Mac minis?

No... he meant the iPod Mini !

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #6 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot
No... he meant the iPod Mini !


Oh!
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #7 of 188
What I meant is that software updates on Apples über high end professional software titles hardly signals anything about their very low end consumer machines...
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #8 of 188
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
What I meant is that software updates on Apples über high end professional software titles hardly signals anything about their very low end consumer machines...

Apparently you didn't read what I had written. You just wanted to quickly jump in and discount it. Does iSync 2.1, Mac OS X 10.4.2, iPhoto 5.0.3, Airport 4.2 count as "über high end professional software titles"? And where did I say anything about "very low end consumer machines"?

Anyway, your dissing is misguided because as I said earlier, you didn't read my explanation.

If you read my post and understand what I am saying, then you can come back and fire away.
post #9 of 188
New Mac Mini and iBook are expected as early as next week. What will make them different from the current line is not known at this point.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #10 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by g3pro
New Mac Mini and iBook are expected as early as next week. What will make them different from the current line is not known at this point.

Is this inside knowledge, or just an opinion?

As for the difference, I don't know about the Mini but for the iBook, I think we can realistically expect a better graphics card, a larger HD, 512MB RAM as standard and bluetooth built in.
post #11 of 188
Well, since my iMac G4 needs a new motherboard I'm hoping for a nice upgrade of the Mac mini; 1.67 GHz, 512 MB, 80 GB HD, Superdrive and Airport for the same price as the current top-model.

One can always hope.
post #12 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrik_L
Well, since my iMac G4 needs a new motherboard I'm hoping for a nice upgrade of the Mac mini; 1.67 GHz, 512 MB, 80 GB HD, Superdrive and Airport for the same price as the current top-model.

One can always hope.

If that's the spec of the new Mac mini, then we are sure to see better PowerBooks....
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #13 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by timmyb
I didn't know about that. It does link with the lengthy iBook & Mini shipping times.

apparently my Safari browser is messed up because this is the screen shot I get of the Mac mini when I go to the US Store and try to buy one.... (there will be no updates)

ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
post #14 of 188
Geez, that's funny. My Safari must be messed up too because the screen I get of the mini when I go to the online store is this:

You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #15 of 188
It looks like everything is same day or with in 24 hours, even the high end PowerMacs.
post #16 of 188
Geez. They're onto us on the iBook G4 page

You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #17 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by g3pro
New Mac Mini and iBook are expected as early as next week. What will make them different from the current line is not known at this point.

If those two are updated, then the PB may be updated as well, since the iBook can't really be updated without stepping into PB-spec territory.
My computer can beat up your computer.
Reply
My computer can beat up your computer.
Reply
post #18 of 188
DHagan4755, you are too funy. You just took my idea and ran with it. I'm glad someone else see's the humor in this like I did...
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
post #19 of 188
Confirmed: Release of Intel-based Mini and iBook is imminent.

Yonah will hit the streets early, as a gesture of goodwill by Intel towards Apple. The dog-days of PPC are OVER!
post #20 of 188
Sadly, it looks like Apple will just let the iBook and Mac mini rot until they make the Intel transition next year. Where are these great PowerPC products in the pipeline that Steve Jobs spoke of? Someone call a plumber!

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #21 of 188
Well we know Apple will transition their low end products to Intel first, along with their laptops since they are most desperate for power. This leaves the iMac for switching to Intel later, before the Powermacs, but after the laptops and the Mini and maybe the eMac. If Apple does indeed follow this pattern, then the iMac will need at least one update before morphing into a MacIntel.

My bet is on a PPC 970mp-based iMac. Apple can make the Powermacs all dual PPC 970mp, and the iMacs single 970mp. Most of the Intel CPUs Apple will be using will all be dual core, so why not move to dual core now on as many lines as possible? Furthermore, it would pose a marketing problem if the iBook and Mini were both Yonah-based, with dual cores, and the more expensive iMacs were all stuck in the Triassic era with single core 970fx chips.

Eh, Apple probably won't do anything this cool, but it's nice to dream about.
post #22 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
Confirmed: Release of Intel-based Mini and iBook is imminent.

Yonah will hit the streets early, as a gesture of goodwill by Intel towards Apple. The dog-days of PPC are OVER!

Are you going to suck your dick if it doesn't happen?
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #23 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by O4BlackWRX
DHagan4755, you are too funy. You just took my idea and ran with it. I'm glad someone else see's the humor in this like I did...

I second this!!! Very funny on your part.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I...
Reply
Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I...
Reply
post #24 of 188
Although on European store pages (UK, NL, FR) Apple is mentioning 7-10 days shipping on the mini and 7 days on the iBook....
iMac, eMac, Powermac, Powerbook are all within 24 h.
post #25 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
Well we know Apple will transition their low end products to Intel first, along with their laptops since they are most desperate for power. This leaves the iMac for switching to Intel later, before the Powermacs, but after the laptops and the Mini and maybe the eMac. If Apple does indeed follow this pattern, then the iMac will need at least one update before morphing into a MacIntel.

My bet is on a PPC 970mp-based iMac. Apple can make the Powermacs all dual PPC 970mp, and the iMacs single 970mp. Most of the Intel CPUs Apple will be using will all be dual core, so why not move to dual core now on as many lines as possible? Furthermore, it would pose a marketing problem if the iBook and Mini were both Yonah-based, with dual cores, and the more expensive iMacs were all stuck in the Triassic era with single core 970fx chips.

Eh, Apple probably won't do anything this cool, but it's nice to dream about.

I would buy a 970 MP iMac in a split second!
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
Reply
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
Reply
post #26 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by dutch pear
Although on European store pages (UK, NL, FR) Apple is mentioning 7-10 days shipping on the mini and 7 days on the iBook....
iMac, eMac, Powermac, Powerbook are all within 24 h.

I ordered some mac minis for school over a week ago and there is no sign of them yet. I have had the keyboards, mice and software (iWork and FCE HD today though...
post #27 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Are you going to suck your dick if it doesn't happen?

Not mine - your mom's...
post #28 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
Not mine - your mom's...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #29 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by rongold
Will my theory hold true? We shall see in a couple days.

At least for this tuesday, it failed...
post #30 of 188
Not necessarily. It is only 10:51 a.m. in California.
post #31 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by kwsanders
Not necessarily. It is only 10:51 a.m. in California.

Well, I hate to burst your bubble but all web updates are posted at 9:00 am Eastern/6:00 am Pacific, and it has been this way pretty much since the beginning.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #32 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Well, I hate to burst your bubble but all web updates are posted at 9:00 am Eastern/6:00 am Pacific, and it has been this way pretty much since the beginning.

Aw come on there's always tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow, or the day after that.....
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
post #33 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by O4BlackWRX
Aw come on there's always tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow, or the day after that.....

There's always tomorrow. That seems to be the new Apple slogan.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #34 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
There's always tomorrow. That seems to be the new Apple slogan.

Nah, right now their slogan is "today's or yesterday's technology tomorrow."
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #35 of 188
I'm thinking something will be coming soon from the very fact that Apple has a knack for only leaving "unimportant" things on their main page for a week or so before replacing it with something bigger. How long do we really expect the 500 million iTunes songs thing to stick around?

I'm banking on something this coming Tuesday.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #36 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Well, I hate to burst your bubble but all web updates are posted at 9:00 am Eastern/6:00 am Pacific, and it has been this way pretty much since the beginning.

Personally, I could really care less. I was just making a comment. Just because it has been done one way throughout time for the history of man does not mean that it cannot be done differently at some point.

Remember... Apple has always used IBM chips until just a few weeks ago.
post #37 of 188
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Geez, that's funny. My Safari must be messed up too because the screen I get of the mini when I go to the online store is this:


Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Geez. They're onto us on the iBook G4 page


I think my theory (AND Apple's business practice) is pretty solid. I was off by about a week BUT that is only because I didn't take into account the straggler updates that they issued afterwards;

DVD Player 4 Update,
GarageBand 2.0.2 Update,
DVD Studio Pro 5 Update,
Compressor 2 Update and
Apple Qmaster 2 Update

After those were updated and released, only then had Apple cleared a path to release new hardware. When you step back and look at the big picture, I think you will find I was right on.
post #38 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by rongold
When you step back and look at the big picture, I think you will find I was right on.

Yes you were right congratulations, I bet it feels good. Oh and if these are "updates" I hate to see what the Intel "updates" will be like.

ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
post #39 of 188
Thread Starter 
Thank you for the cookie.
post #40 of 188
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
I'm banking on something this coming Tuesday.

Cha ching!

Where's *my* cookie?
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Surefire Indicator That Apple Will Soon Release New Hardware