or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Paris expo: speculation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paris expo: speculation thread

post #1 of 154
Thread Starter 
Well there are threads for mini and ibooks, but they all don't indicate an imminent update. So Paris expo is the perfect time for updates.

According to http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ we will seePowerbook, iBook and mac mini. What we MIGHT see is updates for: xserve, Powermac.

What we won't see is intel macs, perhaps devkits but that is all. Apple has agreement with IBM and freescale till the end of 2007 for PPC's.

http://www.apple-expo.com/

What I think will happen: we will see updates for sure and for some productlines like ibook, powerbook and mini the last update till Intel machines, because those lines have an approximate 6 month update cycle. So untill march or april no more updates and then a special event could start the Intel switch and by June Intelmacs will begin shipping.
Powermac and xserve will get 970 mp and some new goods.
Imac is a big blank, they might get a 970mp but one or the will get single 970 up to 2.5.

And this will all happen between 1 month before and after Apple expo Paris.

Let the speculation begin.
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
Reply
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
Reply
post #2 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by fieldor
.....
Let the speculation begin.


let the painful, gut-wrenching waiting begin
post #3 of 154
New PowerBooks I reckon, nothing special, probably higher speed Freescale 7448s (up to 2GHz) and maybe improved graphics.

If the iBook isn't updated tomorrow, then it too will be updated there. Too late to be of any use for loads of people unfortunately. Same for the Mac Mini, probably at 1.5GHz and 1.7GHz depending on the heat output of the 7448 at those clock speeds.
post #4 of 154
Is Jobs giving the keynote? Keep in mind that even if he is, he doesn't do speed bumps at these kinds of events any more. They're more likely to do it a week before or a week after than at the keynote itself.
post #5 of 154
Just so everyone knows, the Mac Expo Paris runs from September 20th through the 24th. So it's a ways off.

What will be announced at the Paris Expo in terms of hardware ...with all of that supposed *great* PowerPC products in the pipeline... I don't know. I think it's all contigent on the supposed 'imminent' updates. I would like to think that they would update the Mac mini and the iBook soon, and not at Paris, then again, the situation is grim and Apple is Apple.

So my official prognostication:

Faster iMac G5 with new height adjustable display design

New widescreen 'high-definition' displays; better range of displays; brighter, faster response time, better viewing angles, and height-adjustable design. Best of all less expensive.

As far as the portables go, they need to be upgraded ASAP and cannot wait for Paris...otherwise if they aren't updated in the next few weeks, then they are a definite for Paris.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #6 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Just so everyone knows, the Mac Expo Paris runs from September 20th through the 24th. So it's a ways off.

What will be announced at the Paris Expo in terms of hardware ...with all of that supposed *great* PowerPC products in the pipeline... I don't know. I think it's all contigent on the supposed 'imminent' updates. I would like to think that they would update the Mac mini and the iBook soon, and not at Paris, then again, the situation is grim and Apple is Apple.

So my official prognostication:

Faster iMac G5 with new height adjustable display design

New widescreen 'high-definition' displays; better range of displays; brighter, faster response time, better viewing angles, and height-adjustable design. Best of all less expensive.

As far as the portables go, they need to be upgraded ASAP and cannot wait for Paris...otherwise if they aren't updated in the next few weeks, then they are a definite for Paris.

all i will say is that if we don't see those 'great powerpc products' by apple Paris expo september, it would mean that apple is going ride off their iPod success and move strongly into consumer/convergence stuff and slowly make the Power line niche, until the Intel resurrection in mid to late 2006.
post #7 of 154
yeah, I guess.
Hopefully we are going to see something good by then. If not, I don't expect anything amazing until Intel kicks in.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #8 of 154
I strongly believe we'll see updated iBooks and Mac Minis either this week, or next. At Paris? I'm not sure what we'll see. Maybe something else for our homes, or video iPods. One would think they might want to announce some kind of big new consumer product at the Paris Expo, and a video iPod might fit the task.

Powerbooks? Well, I'm thinking around October, for those.
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
Reply
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
Reply
post #9 of 154
The wait for my mac minis has gone from 4 days to 7-10 on the apple store(UK). Is this an indication that there may be an update in the next week?
post #10 of 154
My bet is that across the whole mac line up we are going to see small speed bumps and not too exciting upgrades for awhile.
Maybe a video Ipod, DVR, Airport Xpress and update larger and better Cinema Displays will be the new cool stuff coming up.
IMHO big changes on the computer line up will only happen when Intel comes in.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #11 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by gugy
IMHO big changes on the computer line up will only happen when Intel comes in.

Yup. The most exciting thing will probably be dual-core on the PowerMacs. Otherwise, it's 100 Mhz bumps from here on out.
post #12 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
Yup. The most exciting thing will probably be dual-core on the PowerMacs. Otherwise, it's 100 Mhz bumps from here on out.

well maybe every tuesday until macworld sf 2006 we'll write out a wishlist.

here's mine for this tuesday:

iBook 14" xtra brighte 1280x768 widescreen
5400rpm 80gb drive
512mb ram
G4 1.5ghz
airport extreme + bluetooth regular
ati mobility radeon 9600 64mb vram
2 fw400, 2usb 2.0, other ports as usual

$1299 still, with the edu-iPod mini deal for students still going on
$1099 price drop for the older model 14" iBook
post #13 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
well maybe every tuesday until macworld sf 2006 we'll write out a wishlist.

here's mine for this tuesday:

iBook 14" xtra brighte 1280x768 widescreen
5400rpm 80gb drive
512mb ram
G4 1.5ghz
airport extreme + bluetooth regular
ati mobility radeon 9600 64mb vram
2 fw400, 2usb 2.0, other ports as usual

$1299 still, with the edu-iPod mini deal for students still going on
$1099 price drop for the older model 14" iBook

Never, especially considering those are the specs for the powerbook.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #14 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by g3pro
Never, especially considering those are the specs for the powerbook.

well, ati mobility 9600 in iBook, ati mobility 9700 in powerbook?
i know, i'm stretching it a bit...
post #15 of 154
I am just going to say it. Just so it is said. There isn't much Apple could intro Mac wise at paris besides bumps. I mean what could these, " Great PowerPC products" be? A simple PPC 7448 and a 970MP? Sure the 970MP is a cool CPU, but not show worthy IMHO. Remember when Jobs said he couldn't make a powerbook G5, "yet." SO I think a new Powerbook G5 will show since the Powerbook won't probably go intel until 2007.
post #16 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by quagmire
I am just going to say it. Just so it is said. There isn't much Apple could intro Mac wise at paris besides bumps. I mean what could these, " Great PowerPC products" be? A simple PPC 7448 and a 970MP? Sure the 970MP is a cool CPU, but not show worthy IMHO. Remember when Jobs said he couldn't make a powerbook G5, "yet." SO I think a new Powerbook G5 will show since the Powerbook won't probably go intel until 2007.

good point mate. but remember that a "great powerPC product" doesn't just rely on the CPU.

1gb or more RAM, a chunky SATA drive, phat ATi/nVidia, nice HDTV-720/1080p capable architecture, sexy svelte jonathan-ives signature design, could still make a 7447/ 7448/ 970whatever hold out and likely succeed till end of 2006...

not to mention display prices, flash ram, etc, all coming down fast. as much as a lot of us (me included) do not have much faith in that powerPC CPU pipeline, at least what you can build around that CPU is well, only limited by Apple's imagination at this stage \

edit:
i also don't put it past apple engineering to crack (hmm pun not intended) the heat issues, and pull a bit of a rabbit out of the hat to make the most of their 970fx's high-or-low-power-over-or-underclocked-whatever.
..................
.................. \
post #17 of 154
I have a feeling that there will be one "major" announcement, which will probably be related to the PowerMac as that is the one that needs a sales boost the most.

Displays might get an upgrade, especially if the PM gets upgraded as they go together in Apple's mind.

I don't see anything more than a bump in the iMac - maybe to 2.3 and believe that the form factor will remain the same.

Paris is also a good time to give the Mac mini a bit of a boost and maybe even the eMac a 19" CRT.

My money (up to 25ยข) is on the PM.
Ken
Reply
Ken
Reply
post #18 of 154
How about iPod 5G and/or iPod Video?
Alec
Reply
Alec
Reply
post #19 of 154
Tablet... *runs*
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/
Reply
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/
Reply
post #20 of 154
I agree... not in Paris, but something like this is coming. I don't care what Steve said a few years back. Bring back that Newton... *starts running with Blackcat* - last one to Paris is a rotten egg :-)
post #21 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by imanta
I agree... not in Paris, but something like this is coming. I don't care what Steve said a few years back. Bring back that Newton... *starts running with Blackcat* - last one to Paris is a rotten egg :-)

I'm nearer

But seriously, PocketPCs are getting really good, now if they ran a better OS...
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/
Reply
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/
Reply
post #22 of 154
Here are my thoughts about the next computer products from Apple:
Around Apple Expo Paris, new iBooks, PowerBooks, Mac mini and eMacs will be announced and may be available in the same order. All will use the newly available Freescale 7448 CPU (which is a pin-to-pin replacement for the actual 7447A/B CPU). With a 200MHz FSB, DDR memory and up to 1.7GHz speed, it will give a nice boost the the actual versions.
1-
iBook 12 or 13" - 1.4GHz - 5400rpm HD - Combo - ATI 9600 64MB
iBook 14 or 15" - 1.6GHz - 5400rpm HD - SuperDrive - ATI 9600 64MB
2-
PBook 12/13" - 1.6GHz - SuperDrive - ATI 9700 64MB or better
PBook 15" - 1.6 and 1.8GHz* - SuperDrive - ATI 9700 128MB or better
PBook 17" - 1.8GHz* - SuperDrive - ATI 9700 128MB or better
*overclocked
3-
Mac mini - 1.4GHz - 5400rpm HD - Combo - ATI 9600 64MB
Mac mini - 1.6GHz - 5400rpm HD - SuperDrive - ATI 9600 64MB
4-
eMac - 1.6GHz - 5400rpm HD - SuperDrive - ATI 9600 128MB

Hope it comes true...
post #23 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by eekles77
How about iPod 5G and/or iPod Video?

They just merged the Ipod an ipod photo. there might be a spot open for the ipod video, but I think that's for MWSF in January.

Tablet I don't know, actually nobody knows. I will put money on Blackcat if you both use public transport.8)
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
Reply
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
Reply
post #24 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by mjteix
Here are my thoughts about the next computer products from Apple:
Around Apple Expo Paris, new iBooks, PowerBooks, Mac mini and eMacs will be announced and may be available in the same order. All will use the newly available Freescale 7448 CPU (which is a pin-to-pin replacement for the actual 7447A/B CPU). With a 200MHz FSB, DDR memory and up to 1.7GHz speed, it will give a nice boost the the actual versions.
1-
iBook 12 or 13" - 1.4GHz - 5400rpm HD - Combo - ATI 9600 64MB
iBook 14 or 15" - 1.6GHz - 5400rpm HD - SuperDrive - ATI 9600 64MB
2-
PBook 12/13" - 1.6GHz - SuperDrive - ATI 9700 64MB or better
PBook 15" - 1.6 and 1.8GHz* - SuperDrive - ATI 9700 128MB or better
PBook 17" - 1.8GHz* - SuperDrive - ATI 9700 128MB or better
*overclocked
3-
Mac mini - 1.4GHz - 5400rpm HD - Combo - ATI 9600 64MB
Mac mini - 1.6GHz - 5400rpm HD - SuperDrive - ATI 9600 64MB
4-
eMac - 1.6GHz - 5400rpm HD - SuperDrive - ATI 9600 128MB

Hope it comes true...

Welcome to the board. 1.5ghz for mac mini and ibook or 1.67ghz. Faster HD would be nice. ATI across the board, nice. Nvidia won't like that.
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
Reply
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
Reply
post #25 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by fieldor
Welcome to the board. 1.5ghz for mac mini and ibook or 1.67ghz. Faster HD would be nice. ATI across the board, nice. Nvidia won't like that.

Thanks!

If Apple uses the 200MHz FSB on all computers, I thinks the CPU clock will be more like 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 (maybe 2.0), if its 167MHz (like the actual PBooks) the CPU clock will go 1.5, 1.67 and 1.83 (hopefully). I maybe be wrong but: the more FSB, the better.

is there a Nvidia alternative?
post #26 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by mjteix
....is there a Nvidia alternative?

nvidia Go 6000+ series for mobility
http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforcego6.html

nvidia 6000+ series for desktop
http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce6.html

bloody unlikely that apple will use any of those though, i think they are getting a sweet deal from ATi on 'standardising' to radeon 9600. the next powerbooks may sport a 9800 mobility i don't know

the nVidia 6800 ultra is probably the best GPU you can get for your powermac g5 at this stage though (eg. Motion benchmarks?)
post #27 of 154
nVidia by far is the best designer of desktop GPUs on the market. It sucks how ATi has a lock on Apple. But nVidia can't be excused for its drivers.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #28 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by g3pro
.... It sucks how ATi has a lock on Apple. But nVidia can't be excused for its drivers.

just curious, what is up with that? are they not writing drivers for mac or what? or is steve pissed off with them? i wonder what the deal is, as a consumer we should ask for access to both ATi and nVidia, or at least find out why Apple has chosen one over the other
post #29 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by g3pro
nVidia by far is the best designer of desktop GPUs on the market. It sucks how ATi has a lock on Apple. But nVidia can't be excused for its drivers.

ATI is a better designer. Take a look at a 6800U and an X800 next to each other, physically. The 6800 is just plain bloated.

For the Mac, Nvidia is better simply because they bother maintaining the obsolete (on the PC side) OpenGL standard.
post #30 of 154
Thread Starter 
I think updates to ibook or mac mini are not for Paris but for the next weeks.
http://thinksecret.com/news/0507ibook2.html
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
Reply
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
Reply
post #31 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by fieldor
I think updates to ibook or mac mini are not for Paris but for the next weeks.
http://thinksecret.com/news/0507ibook2.html

if it's the case, it maybe really be a simple speedbump (same architecture 7447 CPU, maybe only a 167MHz FSB for all) and a better video card.

My guess:
iBook 12/13" @ 1.50 512MB Combo (Superdrive BTO)
iBook 14/15" @ 1.67 512MB Combo (Superdrive BTO)
Mac mini @ 1.50 512MB Combo (Superdrive BTO)
Mac mini @ 1.67 512MB Combo (Superdrive BTO)
Mac mini @ 1.67 1GB fully equipped

PowerBooks will be for Apple Expo Paris...

Hopefully with the 7448. 200MHZ FSB. up to 2.0GHz
post #32 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
just curious, what is up with that? are they not writing drivers for mac or what? or is steve pissed off with them? i wonder what the deal is, as a consumer we should ask for access to both ATi and nVidia, or at least find out why Apple has chosen one over the other

ATi has vendor lock-in on Apple, and so Apple is forced to support ATi as much as possible. ATi really doesn't have much to do to keep its supply to Apple high. nVidia has no vendor lock-in, and so it couldn't care less about its video drivers. It's a vicious cycle, care of Apple and ATi.


Regarding better designers: take a look at ATi's top of the line X800 card and take a look at the 7800GTX. Quite a bit of a difference, eh?
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #33 of 154
hey... just keeping the fires alive here, i apologise in advance for disrupting the table layout, but you know, for the graphic, it has to be at the same sizing as the actual apple page for full effect... enjoy mateys

post #34 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
hey... just keeping the fires alive here, i apologise in advance for disrupting the table layout, but you know, for the graphic, it has to be at the same sizing as the actual apple page for full effect... enjoy mateys


That may not be too far out actually...after all...iPod MINI...although maybe not since the iMac and iPod (regular) are still white...where's the diversity huh?
My computer can beat up your computer.
Reply
My computer can beat up your computer.
Reply
post #35 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by mynamehere
That may not be too far out actually...after all...iPod MINI...although maybe not since the iMac and iPod (regular) are still white...where's the diversity huh?

thanks... yeah i can't take full credit, i was riffing off appleInsider tacojohn who came up with the first mockups. i tweaked the colors in photoshop to ones i liked off colorwarepc.com pictures. full color ranges in this thread here:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...0&pagenumber=1
post #36 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by mjteix
if it's the case, it maybe really be a simple speedbump (same architecture 7447 CPU, maybe only a 167MHz FSB for all) and a better video card.

My guess:
iBook 12/13" @ 1.50 512MB Combo (Superdrive BTO)
iBook 14/15" @ 1.67 512MB Combo (Superdrive BTO)
Mac mini @ 1.50 512MB Combo (Superdrive BTO)
Mac mini @ 1.67 512MB Combo (Superdrive BTO)
Mac mini @ 1.67 1GB fully equipped

PowerBooks will be for Apple Expo Paris...

Hopefully with the 7448. 200MHZ FSB. up to 2.0GHz

They won't put the 1.67 ghz part in, it will eat Powerbook sales for 2 months , unless Powerbook will be updated too, which I highly doubt.
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
Reply
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
Reply
post #37 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by fieldor
They won't put the 1.67 ghz part in, it will eat Powerbook sales for 2 months , unless Powerbook will be updated too, which I highly doubt.

You're right, I was thinking that the iBooks were already at 1.33/1.42GHz but no it's 1.2/1.33, so:

iBook 12/13" @ 1.33 512MB HD40@5400 Combo ATI 9600/64 $999
iBook 14/15" @ 1.50 512MB HD60@5400 Combo ATI 9600/64 $1299

Mac mini @ 1.42 512MB HD40@5400 Combo ATI 9600/64 $499
Mac mini @ 1.50 512MB HD80@5400 Combo ATI 9600/64 $599
Mac mini @ 1.67 512MB HD80@5400 SuperDrive ATI 9600/64 $699

is this looks better?

PowerBooks will be updated anyway, and I think Apple Expo Paris is still a good time for that.
post #38 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by mjteix
You're right, I was thinking that the iBooks were already at 1.33/1.42GHz but no it's 1.2/1.33, so:

iBook 12/13" @ 1.33 512MB HD40@5400 Combo ATI 9600/64 $999
iBook 14/15" @ 1.50 512MB HD60@5400 Combo ATI 9600/64 $1299

Mac mini @ 1.42 512MB HD40@5400 Combo ATI 9600/64 $499
Mac mini @ 1.50 512MB HD80@5400 Combo ATI 9600/64 $599
Mac mini @ 1.67 512MB HD80@5400 SuperDrive ATI 9600/64 $699

is this looks better?

PowerBooks will be updated anyway, and I think Apple Expo Paris is still a good time for that.

Yes, your iBook specs seem pretty good, although I somewhat doubt the 5400 RPM drives. The Mac Mini specs I don't see the $500 coming with 512MB of memory, nor the 5400 RPM drive, nor are they going to put 3 different CPUs in the Minis. However, these are in general, not out of the ballpark ideas.
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
Reply
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
Reply
post #39 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by fieldor
They won't put the 1.67 ghz part in, it will eat Powerbook sales for 2 months , unless Powerbook will be updated too, which I highly doubt.

Apple has in the past made the high end iBook a faster clockspeed than the low end powerbook.

they will likely do it again. they sell more iBooks anyway
post #40 of 154
DON'T UPDATE iBOOKS, APPLE!

(my dad just bought one )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Paris expo: speculation thread