or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Paris expo: speculation thread

Paris expo: speculation thread - Page 2

post #41 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by mjteix
iBook 12/13" @ 1.33 512MB HD40@5400 Combo ATI 9600/64 $999
iBook 14/15" @ 1.50 512MB HD60@5400 Combo ATI 9600/64 $1299

this is looking really possible now, given that apple has to secure at least 2 months of good back to school sales for this quarter, this would seal the deal for july-to-september quarter. c'mon apple, you can do it.

a mac mini update would be the icing on the cake.

i think radeon 9600 mobility/normal, 512mb, and 5400rpm drives have to be there for a good running start with Tiger 10.4.2 and iLife 05. particularly if apple wants to err on the side of caution given that they themselves admit they do not know the extent of the impact of the intel announcement. (focus groups, market testing can only give you so much information)

yes, yes, i have a better feeling about this. 5400rpm drives in the iBook, albeit at lower sizes than current powerbooks, and it is possible powerbook update in paris will come with 7200rpm drives.... powerbooks if not updated in paris september 20 will be rolled out in time for christmas frenzy to seal the deal for the christmas october-to-december quarter
post #42 of 154
Less then 2 months now and ibook and mini got a bump/ double ram.

Only left are Powermac, Powerbook and xserve.

970mp and a minor bump for powerbook.
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
post #43 of 154
I just re-read this thread, and I believe I was too optimistic: 13" screen and 5400rpm HDs for iBooks...
Maybe the powerbook 12" will turn 13" at Apple Expo, let's hope, and a little speedbump maybe to 1.8Ghz.
post #44 of 154
If anyone is interested in joining fellow Appleinsider folks to the Paris Expo, please IM me. I go every year, we usualy have a group of 10 - 15 guys & gals (All English-German-French Speaking). It's a great time in a great city.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #45 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by fieldor

It is Powerbook's turn this time. And it will get the 7448 from Freescale. Not sure though if this chip can support faster graphics.
post #46 of 154
With the iBooks and Mac minis now upgraded I believe the PMs and PBs are the only things left. Unless Apple is going to put in a new Freescale chip (especially if the dual core is ready, regardless of estimated ship schedules) then I can see that announced. Otherwise the focus will probably be on a PM with IBMs newest chips.

There is also the chance for "one more thing", especially if Steve J is giving a keynote speech. Hopefully it will be something that we haven't thought of (like the original iPod) and blow the market away.

Right now I believe that most of Apple's R&D money is directed at the Mactel lines (especially those that will be released first), working with developers to convert to Mactel, developing an enhanced version of iWork (with a spreadsheet and a junior version of FileMaker) and a new iLife. These all lead to Jan 06 through June 06 releases.

To keep sales of the Macs continuing through this period I see "enhancements" to current lines only, like the iBooks and Mac minis just got. No mind blowing form factors for any Macs until it's time for Mactels - then watch out, your credit card will be at risk.
Ken
Ken
post #47 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by kenaustus
Unless Apple is going to put in a new Freescale chip (especially if the dual core is ready, regardless of estimated ship schedules) then I can see that announced.

The problem with the dual core chip 8641D is that it will require a complete motherboard redesign. I don't believe that Apple would do that while they work on the new Intel Powerbook. On the other hand, the 7448 is pin compatible with the existing G4 in the Powerbooks. It is the only obvious option for this autumn.

Quote:

There is also the chance for "one more thing", especially if Steve J is giving a keynote speech. Hopefully it will be something that we haven't thought of (like the original iPod) and blow the market away.

23" iMac for $2100 .
post #48 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by fieldor
Less then 2 months now and ibook and mini got a bump/ double ram.

PM's will get an update to a new PowerPC no earlier than January, remember that Jobs said that they still had great (good, acceptable) PowerPC products in the pipeline. This will be the multi-core 970's for the PM's. The PB's will get 7448's, which will require minimal dev time due to it's pin compatability with the current chips. This leavs the way for iMacs and Mac Mini's switching to Intels in the first half of the year which will meet Jobs delivery date of before the next dev conference.
post #49 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by kenaustus
.....then watch out, your credit card will be at risk.

No...!!! I just finally cleared about $4000 worth of debt in one year, with a bit (okay a lot) of help from my parents
post #50 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
The problem with the dual core chip 8641D is that it will require a complete motherboard redesign. I don't believe that Apple would do that while they work on the new Intel Powerbook. On the other hand, the 7448 is pin compatible with the existing G4 in the Powerbooks. It is the only obvious option for this autumn.

23" iMac for $2100 .

i'm on 85% chance for 7448 powerbooks at paris
50% chance for 24" iMac

edit:
100% chance the powerbooks will still have ati mobility 9700
post #51 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman

100% chance the powerbooks will still have ati mobility 9700

If not 100%, certainly 99%. Why change the graphics subsystem for the last update? Even if the 7448 allows for more powerful graphics, I don't see Apple investing in that. Unless there is some graphics update requiring minimal tweaks, like the 7448 over today's G4.
post #52 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
If not 100%, certainly 99%. Why change the graphics subsystem for the last update? Even if the 7448 allows for more powerful graphics, I don't see Apple investing in that. Unless there is some graphics update requiring minimal tweaks, like the 7448 over today's G4.

a 7448 processor, ati mobility 9800 128mb vram, and 7200rpm 2.5" drive eg. seagate momentus 7200.1,

would be a killer for the christmas quarter oct-dec 2005. and would hold apple out until april/may 2006 for macintel powerbook...

that's what's in the 1% chance of happening.
post #53 of 154
Nonono, 1% is the PBG5!
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/

post #54 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat
Nonono, .1% is the PBG5!

Fixed the decimal point for you .
post #55 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Fixed the decimal point for you .

Reckon you missed a 0 after it! 8)

post #56 of 154
Quote:
a 7448 processor, ati mobility 9800 128mb vram, and 7200rpm 2.5" drive eg. seagate momentus 7200.1...

Now you made me remember. I saw the other day a Centrino PC laptop (I think a Sony) with 256 MB dedicated VRAM and a 17" display. The price point was at 2000 euros (for reference, a 17" Powerbook costs here 2730 euros). So, I think that whatever Apple does with the Powerbook, it is necessary to offer such a graphics option for the high end.

And, what's going on with the Apple Store today? Are my eyes playing with me or it is once more down ?
post #57 of 154
Quote:

Reckon you missed a 0 after it! 8)

Yeah, why not?
post #58 of 154
embarrassing rant deleted
post #59 of 154
Quote:
But seriously, PocketPCs are getting really good, now if they ran a better OS...

cannot believe it.. I have actually started to look at Windows mobile devices and think "that is useful I could do with one of those..."

Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #60 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
cannot believe it.. I have actually started to look at Windows mobile devices and think "that is useful I could do with one of those..."

i bought a dell axim 1 year ago. i sold it after a week. don't waste your time
post #61 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by othello

I had an iPaq 4150, it was really nice EXCEPT Pocket Windows 2003 kept crashing!

Pocket Darwin would be lovely.

post #62 of 154
applestore UK is down
post #63 of 154
Quote:

this is FUCKING IT !!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH

i knew it. i fucking knew it yeahhhh!!!!!!!

Does it happens to you to wonder if you need some more... intimate contact with girls or guys (I don't know your preference)?
post #64 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Does it happens to you to wonder if you need some more... intimate contact with girls or guys (I don't know your preference)?

heh we should probably discuss that on another forum
post #65 of 154
ah what the fuck. its just a new mouse.
post #66 of 154
Quote:
ah what the fuck. its just a new mouse.

And a mighty fock. Ooops, should not say that.
post #67 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
And a mighty fock. Ooops, should not say that.

btw apparently they licensed the name somehow... at the bottom of apple web page it says "Mighty Mouse © Viacom International Inc. All Rights Reserved."

heh
post #68 of 154
Prediction for Paris:

Might Mouse with Bluetooth.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #69 of 154
I say:

HD Projector, small form like the mac mini.