or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes to sell music videos?

iTunes to sell music videos?

post #1 of 44
Apple Computer recently held discussions with major recording companies, seeking to license music videos to sell through the companys iTunes Music Store, according to a report in Mondays edition of The Wall Street Journal.

The talks (subscription required) are rumored to be a prelude to a video-capable version of the iPod, which Apple has reportedly told some entertainment-industry executives to expect this fall.

According to the Journal, the music videos would likely cost $1.99 each on iTunes, with the possibility of a discount if consumers buy a music video and a song at the same time.

If successful, the initiative could create a significant new source of income for media companies that are rushing to distribute video content on the Internet to offset the growing magnitude of pirated media, the report says.

Companies involved in the talks reportedly include Warner Music Group, EMI Group, Vivendi Universals Universal Music Group and Sony BMG, a joint venture between Sony and Bertelsmann AG.

Following the release of its iTunes 4.8 digital music jukebox software in May, Apple began bundling a select batch of videos with some of the music albums available through its iTunes Music Store. Most of the videos were bundled with music tracks for an additional 99 cent premium.

Merrill Lynch analyst Steve Milunovich issued a report at the time saying support for digital music videos in iTunes could allow Apple to work with the music industry to deliver a profitable outlet for the clips.
post #2 of 44
Not bad. Some videos are good enough that I'd consider spending $1.99 on them.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #3 of 44
Why are we going to have to pay to download advertising? Music videos are used to promote the song and artist. Its essentially an ad, not a product. I'll just keep watching MTV/VH1 at 3 AM. (Plus I can already watch music videos free on comcast on-demand).
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
post #4 of 44
Okay, so using a video iPod for music videos seems really stupid. I mean who the hell cares? How about a video iPod that can play actual movies? Talk about a huge market!

Come on Apple/Jobsy wake up and smell the opportunity.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I...
Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I...
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by baranovich
Okay, so using a video iPod for music videos seems really stupid. I mean who the hell cares? How about a video iPod that can play actual movies? Talk about a huge market!

Actually, it is probably just a licensing thing. If this new "video" iPod can play music videos, why wouldn't it be able to play movies as well? The music industry is just a good first step to prove the licensing model, and who knows maybe there will be a way to transfer your existing DVD movies to this new iPod, just like you rip your existing music CD's.
Spreading the gospel of hockey...
Spreading the gospel of hockey...
post #6 of 44
You have to start somewhere. It's easier to convince a company that spends a lot of money on a music video, and receives no direct revenue from it, to sell it online. While yes, some companies do make a small amount of revenue from their DVD's with music videos on them, but that market isn't exactly huge. If Apple can prove it can protect video content successfully, it'll be easier to get a iMovie store. However I would suspect that downloadable movies would range in the 10 to 20 dollar range, which at that point, it's easier to get a DVD.
post #7 of 44
Exactly this whole thing has to be with baby steps.

The entertainment conglomerates are afraid of on line distribution of content, They want to be shown that it is a viable business model, so Apple has to gently nudge them into it.
post #8 of 44
Quote:

Not much opportunity. Jobs has already stated that portable video just isn't a huge seller. How many people do you see walking around with portable DVD players or portable video players(they exist now..but no one really buys them in large numbers).

Videos are ok..if it's not worth a couple of bucks to you then save your money.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #9 of 44
I'd be interested to see what Apple would feel is an acceptable bitrate for the videos. I presume they would use H.264, but the question remains is would the videos be viewable in good quality on say a TV or a nice High Def Moniter.
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by scavanger
I'd be interested to see what Apple would feel is an acceptable bitrate for the videos. I presume they would use H.264, but the question remains is would the videos be viewable in good quality on say a TV or a nice High Def Moniter.

the proc needed for h.264 would be way too big for the iPod...It takes most of the CPU of my mini to play SD/DV in h.264...how the hell would an iPod pull it off...without becoming a laptop
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #11 of 44
I dont' expect a video iPod. My comment was more directed to just a iMovie store in general. I agree that a video iPod is a waste, atleast at this time, mostly due to screen size and battery life.

The funny thing is, that my new computer I built for like 900 dollars, with only a 1.8ghz AMD 64 in it, can play all the Apple HD content flawlessly. This is using the quicktime preview for windows. I'm really pleased actually, even when using stuff done in other 264 codecs it works fine. Content for H.264 is in reach, and is probably alot more playable then people realize.
post #12 of 44
Also, think about battery time. The iPod already has bad battery time if you have the backlight on the entire time; Image what it would be like watching an entire movie. (A 2 hour movie might entirely drain the battery)
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Not much opportunity. Jobs has already stated that portable video just isn't a huge seller. How many people do you see walking around with portable DVD players or portable video players(they exist now..but no one really buys them in large numbers).

Videos are ok..if it's not worth a couple of bucks to you then save your money.

SJ is probably right, but if the capability is already built in to the iPod (like they are now), you can bet they are just ensuring the longterm survival of their cash cow and making sure they don't get beat to the punch if video/movie sales become the next big thing.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #14 of 44
I think a video iPod would be very useful if you were able to download a video to it and then connect it to your TV to watch the video. I can't see a video iPod selling very well if you have to stop to look at the tiny screen until the video is over.

- Mark
post #15 of 44
Makes total sense. I'm all for it. Bring it on.
post #16 of 44
the new iPods will shoot a holographic image right in front of you so...

a) you don't have to stop to watch the video
b) you can see right thru your holographic britney spears
c) iPod will be your own personal R2D2

problem solved.
post #17 of 44
I'm sure there will be a video iPod this autumn (fall / whatever..), but I don't expect this to become the primary purpose of the iPod soon (or indeed ever..). It will likely be a natural evolution of the iPod photo (which has now lost the 'photo' moniker).

As others have said, there just isn't a market for people wanting to watch a 2 hour film (movie / whatever..) on a 2inch screen. Music videos are the perfect length for such a device, and I'm sure it's no coincidence that iPhoto has just recently got the ability to hold video clips aswell.

What I'm more interested in is the news that Apple may become an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator). This is where Apple needs to be. Mobile phones are the biggest untapped market as far as music content is concerned, and is certainly where Apple should be looking to make its money when iPod growth begins to level out.

I don't doubt that there will be a movie download service either - I just don't expect the iPod to have much to do with it.
post #18 of 44
Quote:

Are you actually suggesting that Apple haven't thought of this, and yet you have?
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyastronaut
the new iPods will shoot a holographic image right in front of you so...

a) you don't have to stop to watch the video
b) you can see right thru your holographic britney spears
c) iPod will be your own personal R2D2

problem solved.

Won't be happening, not from Apple! I know this for a fact, since I own the patent (pending) for "a portable device which can display talentless 'artists' in 3D holographic form while in motion"

Of course, once you apply the "Hot Coffee" mod to it, the clothing is optional. Just don't tell the parents!
post #20 of 44
First off, lots of people here seem to be writing off music videos as some sort of inferior art form. Have you seen any Chris Cunningham videos (if you havent, you should)?!?!? They are amazing. If I were to use a video feature on an ipod for anything it would be to watch/listen to music videos on my tv through the s-video connection on the ipod dock. Instead of making just a playlist for a party, you could make a music video playlist and have some awesome visual stimulation to match the music. Thatd be pretty cool.

As for full-length movies, I would prefer to just watch the DVD. I am not going to watch movies on a 2 screen and I am not going to take up an ass-load of room on my ipod to watch movies at home when I can just put a DVD in. Also, if they made the screen big enough to pleasurably watch movies it would be too big to carry around. I have a 13 tv in my kitchen I dont even like watching movies on.

I know this video thing is to compete with the PSP and although I have not held one, the PSP looks like a 2 lb. sack of crap. The only reason people would watch a movie on one is to say that they can it is a novelty at best.

Honestly I could go without video capabilities period. If apple could stick an 80 GB HD in an ipod, slim them down and improve battery-life I would be happy.
post #21 of 44
Aside from the licensing stuff nobody will want to watch video on such an incredibly small screen. PSP's screen is much larger but still far too small to comfortably watch a movie on, and we've all seen the size of a PSP - makes iPod look absolutely tiny. Pocket size, it 'aint. (unless you have giant pockets)

The other problem is the hassle of getting your own content onto such devices. PSP makes you jump through a myriad of hoops to convert video to it's own curious format. Creative labs have a player coming which supports the more common internet standards of xVID and DIVX, but can you imagine Apple doing that? I'd be willing to bet it will play MOV and little else. Maybe AVI and MPEG if we're lucky.
post #22 of 44
I think people have to remember that the iPod can be connected to a TV. iPod Photo, yes? So the size of the screen in terms of watching music videos is less of a concern to me. I think most people will watch the videos on their computers or TV.
post #23 of 44
Just had a thought - imagine a regular white iPod rotated 90 degrees, with the entire face being a widescreen touch sensative LCD.

The clickwheel and interface uses touch to work, then when playing video takes up the entire screen.

Could work, but I bet they wouldn't do anything so daring.
post #24 of 44
It could work, yes, but it'd spoil the design as the ipod has carefully been designed to have the "perfect" proportions. We'll see, but I think if they do have a video ipod it'll be more of a bonus (like photos are now) - perhaps with a tottally new design (but similar shape)...
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Dogcow
Why are we going to have to pay to download advertising? Music videos are used to promote the song and artist. Its essentially an ad, not a product. I'll just keep watching MTV/VH1 at 3 AM. (Plus I can already watch music videos free on comcast on-demand).

Look down at the Sean John shirt you are wearing and ask that again.

Anyway, who couldn't see this coming? Of course this is the direction they are heading. Hmmm, suddenly iTunes becomes a quicktime player and Photo iPods come out. Music videos start appearing in iTunes music store. Hmmmm, do you think that maybe a phone could be in the mix? Perhaps Steve like most of us realized he had too many gadgets with him. An iPod, a phone, PDA, car stereo head unit, etc... DUH! Of course an iPod capable of videos will be out soon. It is the natural evolution of Apple making the legion of think different creative types into good little lemmings. As Dogcow notes, music videos are used to promote songs and we will soon be buying them like the good little consumers we are. But Apple has made it cool to be one. And they are about to merge all of our techno needs into one device that can play our music anywhere (home, bus, car), phone home, keep our calendars, addressbook, and be an extension of our TV. This way we never have to be with ourselves. Always stimulated, wherever we go.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #26 of 44
Why would I pay $1.99 for something I can get free on an album's ECD or via direct download from that artist's website?

Ah well, who knows... Maybe we'll start to see video remixes?
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Dogcow
Why are we going to have to pay to download advertising?

You might not, but it's virtually guaranteed that someone would. I know dozens of people who work in the ad industry who gladly pay $100 a year or more to download copies of the latest TV commercials.

It's simply a matter of supply and demand. It's worth $1.99 because that's what the market is willing to bear. Apple's early entries in the iTunes Music Store were a test to see if people would bite, and clearly the test showed a significant amount of demand at that price point.

I'm not saying this will be huge, just that enough people must have shown their willingness to buy for it to be worthwhile for the suppliers to offer videos for sale. Personally, it'd have to be a damn good video for me to pay for the download; I'm rarely interested in viewing one more than once. The same for most TV programs and movies, both of which I view a lot more of than music videos.

I'd prefer a more podcast-like subscription service for video, which allows me to download selected programs automatically as new episodes appear, but doesn't require me to have the massive amount of storage to save them for all eternity. Bandwidth aside, video takes serious disk space. I don't care to own my movies and TV shows the way I like to own my music. I think most people are perfectly happy with a rental model (e.g. Cable TV, Blockbuster, Netflix) when it comes to video.
post #28 of 44
Quote:

Come on, who is going to watch The Wizard of Oz on an iPod? Repeat after me, 'There's no place like home. There no place like ...'
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #29 of 44
PAY FOR MUSIC VIDEOS!??!

Dear Apple,

Your getting too cocky, so cock it down a notch. Videos should be free, as a suppliment to the iTunes store, not a cash source.
Cocks.

Thanx

post #30 of 44
Video in car is huge. Having the ability to hook up your ipod and put music/movies into the back seat for your kids is a great idea. Anywhere a DVD can be played so can a video enabled iPod. Stop thinking about the tiny screen. There are plenty of other screens the movies can be viewed on.
Make it idiotproof and they'll just make a
better idiot.
Make it idiotproof and they'll just make a
better idiot.
post #31 of 44
From Slashdot:

Quote:
Chris Holland writes "Beyond the WSJ Story, Om Malik gives us inside information obtained by Business 2.0 Magazine about the Apple Video iPod. 'Steve Jobs has spoken with Disney President and soon-to-be CEO Bob Iger about ways to license various Disney content for a video iPod, according to an internal Disney email I have obtained. That could include anything from clips from ESPN and ABC News to short cartoons.' "
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #32 of 44
now, if the PSP could be hacked to allow the ipod video to stream movies to it... HOLY MOTHER OF MIGHTYMOUSE! That'd be sweet... But i'd need a 200gig ipod..

Does anyone here have the skill to hack hardware that doesn't exist yet?
post #33 of 44
The brevity's the thing (of the video content) that'll catch the filthy lucre of the masses. I own a PSP. It has a great screen. However, it is simply not something you want to hold for 90 minutes to 2 hours for a movie. My experience with it is that portable gaming is all about impulse play. 5 to 10 minutes of play throughout the day.

Watching "Kill Bill" turned out the same way. One chapter here and there which can really kill (heh, sorry) the momentum of a story (perhaps Tarantino's style favors that style, but not others).

On the other hand, "The Daily Show", "Robot Chicken" and other short items would be perfect.
post #34 of 44
Full length features will not be the popular content of choice, more likely to be quality TV programmes; Sopranos, Buffy, 24, West Wing, Lost, Smallville, BG, etc etc. The Networks make more money out of selling the DVD's than from airing the shows and the user experience is much better. Absolute prime candidates for downloading. Also the BBC's entire output is to be re-commercialised outside the UK in the coming years, another prime candidate.
post #35 of 44
I also think a video iPod's on the way, but you all need to think "outside the screen" as well. Yes, the video iPod will probably be able to show content on its screen. Wouldn't many of you like to watch a video podcast of ESPN SportsCenter on your iPod on the train to work each morning? How about a playlist of your favorite music videos?

But why not also have what was mentioned earlier: Music video playlists for your parties. Portable home movies of the kids when you go over to your mom and dad's house. Portable video presentations for business people who are constantly traveling.

There are lots of possibilities for a video iPod. Will they override the music? No, but it'd be nice to have the features there.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #36 of 44
Many of you are forgetting one critical piece that the iPod video could serve...home movies.

Just like the ipod photo and your digital pictures, the iPod video could be used to store and playback your home movies. Even iMovie could have an export setting for the iPod video. Apple could market how using iMovie can help you create great looking home movies that you can show off anywhere with your iPod video.

I see this benefit being marketed more heavily for the iPod video than playing movies and TV shows.
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by MPMoriarty
Many of you are forgetting one critical piece that the iPod video could serve...home movies.

Just like the ipod photo and your digital pictures, the iPod video could be used to store and playback your home movies. Even iMovie could have an export setting for the iPod video. Apple could market how using iMovie can help you create great looking home movies that you can show off anywhere with your iPod video.

I see this benefit being marketed more heavily for the iPod video than playing movies and TV shows.

Oh god, it's bad enough when my boss pulls out the wallet-sized accordion of his kids' photos. Now I'm going to have to squint at wallet-sized videos, too? How many times can you watch a kid feeding a llama on a 2" screen?
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Reid
Oh god, it's bad enough when my boss pulls out the wallet-sized accordion of his kids' photos. Now I'm going to have to squint at wallet-sized videos, too? How many times can you watch a kid feeding a llama on a 2" screen?

Here you go:

1) Secure another job.
2) Ask your boss to see that video again of his kid feeding a llama.
3) Kick his butt and take his vPod.
4) Start working at new job.

post #39 of 44
deleted
post #40 of 44
Wouldn't the reasons it's not recommended to run OS X off an iPod (e.g. overworking its hard drive) also hold true for longer uninterrupted playback of higher quality video to external displays? If true, that would be a factor in the design of a "video iPod" with that kind of playback capability.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes to sell music videos?