or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple testing Mac OS X 10.4.3, OS X Security, and Safari updates
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple testing Mac OS X 10.4.3, OS X Security, and Safari updates

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
Apple Computer has begun testing a third maintenance update to its new Tiger operating system, in addition to gathering feedback on two forthcoming Safari web browser bug fix releases and a Mac OS X Security Update.

Mac OS X 10.4.3

Mac OS X 10.4.3, which its believed to be on target for a release by mid-Sept., began making the rounds in Silicon Valley earlier this week. Sources were mum on details, saying the first pre-releases builds of the software are slated to be released to thousands of Apple developers and business partners for testing in a matter of days.

Security Update 2005-007

Expected to proceed Mac OS X 10.4.3 on Apple's software release schedule is Mac OS X Security Update 2005-007, which is also rumored to be in the early stages of testing. Like Mac OS X 10.4.3, it's unknown at this time on which issues the update will focus. A quick search of Apple's Bugzilla database reveals no major or critical issues associated with Mac OS X.

Safari 1.3 and 2.0

Finally, as reports from tipsters and several Mac websites have also indicate, Apple is working to perfect the current version of its Safari web browser on both Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

On Thursday the company reportedly asked developers to test Safari 2.0 Update 1 for Mac OS X 10.4.x and Safari 1.3 Update 6 for Mac OS X 10.3.9. Because both versions of Safari are based on the same version of WebKit, the list of bugs and fixes associated with the updates are nearly identical.

According to reports, the updates will repair several issues with Safari that have recently begun to cause the browser to crash. The Safari team has also fixed issues with the list-style css property, comment parsing, caps lock key and bookmarking, and Flash media layout issues.

All three software updates will be released to Mac OS X users free of charge.
post #2 of 37
"All three software updates will be released to Mac OS X users free of charge."

I would hope so.
post #3 of 37
Long before Longhorn!

er, Vista (which sounds like a feminine hygiene product)

post #4 of 37
Really happy to hear about the flash media placement fix. This is really the only annoying thing about Safari now. A flash media advertisement can basically appear at any place on a web page sometimes blocking texts and things I actually want to see.

Safari still seems to crash at weird times - all of a sudden. It is by far the most unreliable software that comes with OS X. Everything else I found runs like gold.
Everyone remembers John 3:16, but the next verse is better: "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him."
Reply
Everyone remembers John 3:16, but the next verse is better: "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him."
Reply
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi
Long before Longhorn!

er, Vista (which sounds like a feminine hygiene product)


Actually... From Dictionary.com:

"Vista: A distant view or prospect, especially one seen through an opening, as between rows of buildings or trees."


An obstructed view of something very far away? Yep, sounds like Longhorn all right!
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
"All three software updates will be released to Mac OS X users free of charge."

I would hope so.

Bad enough paying $129 every year, we'd really riot at this one.

Oh wait. We wouldn't. We're Mac users.
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by humanfellow
Safari still seems to crash at weird times - all of a sudden. It is by far the most unreliable software that comes with OS X. Everything else I found runs like gold.

Well i dont ever have Safari crash on me, but one thing i ALWAYS do is to disable Java as i dont need it.
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Bad enough paying $129 every year, we'd really riot at this one.

Oh wait. We wouldn't. We're Mac users.

The cycle is now every 18 to 24 months for reference releases of Mac OS X.
Leopard is due out at the end of 2006.
post #9 of 37
Not only did Safari start crashing in 10.4 - 10.4.2, but the whole machine locks up as well. I can't find a problem.
post #10 of 37
Anyone visit mysapce? I find that site to crash from with almost every browser. Why? Can it be fixed?
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Not only did Safari start crashing in 10.4 - 10.4.2, but the whole machine locks up as well. I can't find a problem.

Did you do a erase and install of 10.4?
Do you have any 3rd party Safari plugins?
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by coldfusion1970
Did you do a erase and install of 10.4?
Do you have any 3rd party Safari plugins?

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm pretty familiar with the procedures, and no, she has very little software at all. What she does have, we have on the other three machines as well, plus far more.

This seems to be an Apple problem, as Apple is apparently aware of it (which is why we have this thread). I'm not sure if the lockups are special though.
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm pretty familiar with the procedures, and no, she has very little software at all. What she does have, we have on the other three machines as well, plus far more.

This seems to be an Apple problem, as Apple is apparently aware of it (which is why we have this thread). I'm not sure if the lockups are special though.

Well as i mentioned i dont have any problems with Safari.
What sites are you visiting?
Have you tested those same sites in Camino and Firefox?
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by coldfusion1970
Well as i mentioned i dont have any problems with Safari.
What sites are you visiting?
Have you tested those same sites in Camino and Firefox?

It's random. I'ne tested on Netscape because sometimes she uses it. The legal department in Citicorp has that. No problem.

It's definitely an Apple problem.
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
It's random. I'ne tested on Netscape because sometimes she uses it. The legal department in Citicorp has that. No problem.

It's definitely an Apple problem.

Must be something with your system.
I use Safari (10.4.2) at home and at work and its totally stable.
Try creating a new account and trying Safari again.
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by coldfusion1970
Must be something with your system.
I use Safari (10.4.2) at home and at work and its totally stable.
Try creating a new account and trying Safari again.

As I've been saying, there is a problem with the browser, at least. That's why Apple is trying to fix the crashing problems. It doesn't happen on all machines regularly, but two of my other machines with 10.4.2 started occasional Safari crashing when the update was applied. They rarely had that problem before. The machine I'm on now is 10.3.9, and rarely does Safari crash. Some crashing with Safari has always been a known problem.

Individual installs have different files installed, depending on the machine and its configuration. Usually, with something like this, nothing is wrong except that Apple didn't account for a number of configs when they did the upgrade (or update). They then have to scramble to identify the problem ones and correct for it. This happens all the time when some program or other has a problem after an update or upgrade. There usually nothing the customer can do until Apple fixes it.
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
As I've been saying, there is a problem with the browser, at least. That's why Apple is trying to fix the crashing problems. It doesn't happen on all machines regularly, but two of my other machines with 10.4.2 started occasional Safari crashing when the update was applied. They rarely had that problem before. The machine I'm on now is 10.3.9, and rarely does Safari crash. Some crashing with Safari has always been a known problem.

Individual installs have different files installed, depending on the machine and its configuration. Usually, with something like this, nothing is wrong except that Apple didn't account for a number of configs when they did the upgrade (or update). They then have to scramble to identify the problem ones and correct for it. This happens all the time when some program or other has a problem after an update or upgrade. There usually nothing the customer can do until Apple fixes it.

Did you do a erase and install of the 10.4 software?
Or was it a upgrade from 10.3.x?
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Mac OS X 10.4.3, which its believed to be on target for a release by mid-Sept., began making the rounds in Silicon Valley earlier this week. Sources were mum on details

Keep an eye out for Quartz 2D Extreme will you? As soon as they turn this on by default I'm going to upgrade the office and get the boss to buy a new server.
post #19 of 37
Quote:
A quick search of Apple's Bugzilla database reveals no major or critical issues associated with Mac OS X.

Well, let me help you a little bit on critical issues. The Power Mac G5/1.8 Single (late 2004) freezes when using fullscreen applications after an uptime of more than two hours. If apple doesn't fix this with the security update or an firmware update they'll face a major lawsuit.

http://www.macuser.de/forum/showthread.php?t=94435
http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...1732@.68ae9b7b
http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...2347@.68b11897
http://forums.macgeneration.com/vbul...8&page=1&pp=20
http://www.osxfacile.com/bug.html
http://www.apfeltalk.de/showthread.php?t=15507
http://www.slainer68.net/tigerbrokemyg5/

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...8100@.68ae63de
http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...vR.2@.68af3609
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@@.68b2c330
http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...U.10@.68b116e4
http://discussions.info.apple.com/we....8@.68b28aff/9
http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...gU.2@.68b11897
http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...0558@.68ae9b7b
http://discussions.info.apple.com/we....2@.68af135c/1
http://g5support.com/group/viewtopic.php?t=4909
http://www.mactechnews.de/index.php?...amp;answers=24
http://www.macuser.de/forum/showthread.php?t=94435
http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...tz.1@.68b34e17
http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/sh...amp;PHPSESSID=
http://forums.macgeneration.com/vbul...ge=1&pp=20
http://forums.macgeneration.com/vbul...ge=1&pp=20
http://forum.macbidouille.com/index....p;hl=tiger+bug
http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...1517@.68b3ac88
http://www.macmusic.org/agora/forums...p;lang=EN&
http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?ne...p;threshold=-1
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Not only did Safari start crashing in 10.4 - 10.4.2, but the whole machine locks up as well. I can't find a problem.

Same here. Full Windows-style "you can move the cursor, but nothing's moving or clickable."
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Same here. Full Windows-style "you can move the cursor, but nothing's moving or clickable."

Dayum, am i just lucky or do you guys have broken systems?
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by coldfusion1970
Dayum, am i just lucky or do you guys have broken systems?

I never said that mine was from Safari; it could have been a result of me doing desktop tasks while running Doom 3 in a window.
post #23 of 37
I experience graphical trashing in full screen in 1600x1200 whenever I do a couple of slideshows using Finder or Preview. After a couple of tries, the screen always completely trashes, when viewing images that way, but returns to normal, if I zoom out to view the image list. Zoom in on an image and it trashes again.

It also happens sometimes if I get a growl notification when viewing a VLC movie in fullscreen.

Testing it under 1024x768 seems that nothing is wrong. Could it be a problem related to running out of texture memory in high resolutions?

10.4.2 on a Mac Mini 1.25 Ghz with 1 GB RAM.
post #24 of 37
By the way, you with Safari problems: Did you check up on CPU usage during lockups? How about swapping? If I have a lot of tabs open and start to move around, it will take long breaks with the beach ball where it needs to swap or do other work. Restarting it solves the problem.

I strongly suspect flash animations have something to do with it, because after installing Privoxy (ad-blocker), I didn't experience this problem anymore. Also the breaks seem to be synced somehow with the animation in flash ads.
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by henrikmk
By the way, you with Safari problems: Did you check up on CPU usage during lockups? How about swapping? If I have a lot of tabs open and start to move around, it will take long breaks with the beach ball where it needs to swap or do other work. Restarting it solves the problem.

I strongly suspect flash animations have something to do with it, because after installing Privoxy (ad-blocker), I didn't experience this problem anymore. Also the breaks seem to be synced somehow with the animation in flash ads.

Yes, I'll go and open up CPU monitor with my screen locked up.
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Yes, I'll go and open up CPU monitor with my screen locked up.

Try using MenuMeters to catch it in the act. Much easier and handier for catching runaway programs.
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Same here. Full Windows-style "you can move the cursor, but nothing's moving or clickable."

This is worse! Can't even move the cursor.
post #28 of 37
I've seen two bugs that emerged in recent versions of Safari (starting somewhere from version 10.3.8 - 10.3.9 / 10.4-10.4.2) that are presentation related.

Placing an animated gif in the background of a div and then nesting another div inside of it causes the gif to stop animating. Works fine on both platforms and in all other browsers, except Safari.

Another deals with absolute and relative positioning of divs. Sometime a div is pushed further down the page than it should be, but refreshing the page snaps the div back in its proper place. Resizing the window sometimes knocks the div back out. Again it works fine in all other browsers/platforms and used to work in prior versions of Safari.

Hopefully Apple will be ironing out some of these bugs.
2.66ghz Mac Pro - 5gb / 830gb / 7300gt 256mb
1ghz Tibook - 1gb / 60gb / 9000 64mb
iPhone - 8gb

netbanshee.com
Reply
2.66ghz Mac Pro - 5gb / 830gb / 7300gt 256mb
1ghz Tibook - 1gb / 60gb / 9000 64mb
iPhone - 8gb

netbanshee.com
Reply
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
This is worse! Can't even move the cursor.

But that's not going to say anything when the computer's locked up!
post #30 of 37
I just crashed Safari trying to build a car on the Scion website.

In my experience it does crash quite alot, both in Panther and now in Tiger which I just installed a few days ago using erase and install. i don't use any third party add-ons or stuff like that.

I'm looking forward to 10.4.3
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Not only did Safari start crashing in 10.4 - 10.4.2, but the whole machine locks up as well. I can't find a problem.

I have Safari clock up on me all the time when i load a large page. Seems as tho the browser chokes with too much data, it then locks up beachballs, become un-responsive then finally the page is displayed , the CPU meter drops then the bowser becomes operational. Camino does not have this problem.

Safari is poorly threaded if at all. You cannot load a large page an click on another preloaded tab to commence reading while the other page loads in the background or even create a new tab and click the bookmarks menu an expect Safari to continually load the other page in the background. Camino, Omniweb ect wont lock up. Safari operates like Mac OS 8x applications that is 1 function at a time, eg load a page click the bookmarks menu then the browser comes to a screeching halt an will not continue loading until you let go of the mouse button.

This behavior aggravates me to no end.

I browser with plugins an Java disabled. I notice Safari uses way too much CPU loading pages with JavaScript enabled, at least far more CPU than any other browser. I tend now to disable JavaScript and Images as well, now finally my pages load very fast like they should do on my fast connection. I vaguely recall the first version of Safari loading really fast like this with JavaScript an Images enabled, i wonder what happened over time. Now we have browser using far too much CPU and loads pages 10X slower than it should do.

Damn if Camino had URL Auto Complete on History id have that as my default browser !!!!
post #32 of 37
tomvos posted a list of links

in real world usage here are some details of page loading times with Plugins Disabled and Java Disabled as default in ALL tests. What i tested was aimed at JavaScript an images.

I used for example the second link from the top of tomvos's list

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...1732@.68ae9b7b

Now this just one example, my real world experience on nearly every page is roughly the same as my findings below of course times will always be different, the important thing is the each variable will consistently be in the same order.

Images + Javascript enabled = 11 seconds
Javascript enabled - Images disabled = 8 seconds
Images enabled - Javascript disabled = 5 seconds
images disabled - Javascript disabled = 3 seconds

Would be nice if Apple can do something about JavaScript performance this is really unacceptable.
post #33 of 37
It's not Apple's fault if a website is coded poorly with Javascript. Even if Javascript would be made to run 100x faster than currently, one could still make a website that will load so slowly - just like someone can make a program to be extremely slow - cuz the very fact that it's a programming language gives that ability.
-Myrd
Project Magma
http://projectmagma.net/
Reply
-Myrd
Project Magma
http://projectmagma.net/
Reply
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Myrd
It's not Apple's fault if a website is coded poorly with Javascript. Even if Javascript would be made to run 100x faster than currently, one could still make a website that will load so slowly - just like someone can make a program to be extremely slow - cuz the very fact that it's a programming language gives that ability.

Ironic, eh, the web page i linked too is Apple own page, haha, they better hire some better web page coders if that is the case, or do away with JavaScripts entirely. I remember the days where i could browse all day without the need for any Javascript an indeed i always had it disabled.

It really annoys me how the www has evolved. Too much useless and slow JavaScript, excessive use of images even in this forum.

I don't want to see a page full of logos, pop up menus who direct me to the selection as some JavaScripts do, and a bunch of overly sized avatar images and ridiculous signatures. What happened to providing buttons for simple things on pages like search or add reply etc why do they insist on using images, slowing our browsing down an costing us money in data downloaded. If i really wanted to look at a picture id prefer to click a link rather than a page spewing a dump load of images in front of me. ack Whatever happened to 'Text Only' versions of websites.

sheesh, loading websites on a 200mhz machine with 96 meg of ram on a 33.6k modem back in 97 loaded faster than a page today on a 10Mb cable line on the fastest powerbook.
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
But that's not going to say anything when the computer's locked up!

Excuse me for being dense, but I don't understand what you are trying to say.

"Not going to say anything"?

There are several kinds of faults. If she leaves the machine for a while, she might find that Safari "unexpectedly quit". Or it might as soon as she gets to a page. Or the machine will lock up with the mouse working - or not.

I've been in this business for quite a while, and am used to clients calling me for answers.

This doesn't bode well. I hope that the Safari problems they are working on fixes this. I'm not the only one affected, apparently thousands (at least) of others are as well.
post #36 of 37
Safari is also completely unusable with Yahoo chat.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Reply
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Reply
post #37 of 37
Can't wait till Safari acts normal again.

Not a day goes by or I have to crash it when it's "not responding" at over >100%CPU cycles (dual G5) and taking the whole system hostage.

Boot your system, it's fine. browse some, leave it on, browse some more, don't shut down at night ... next day you're in for slow browsing & some serious CPU activity where pages load slow, tabs are unusable for several minutes till every single one entirely loaded, ...

Maybe they can squeeze resources back on widgets too, and allow you to quit dashboard.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple testing Mac OS X 10.4.3, OS X Security, and Safari updates