or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › The Perfect Sandwich™

The Perfect Sandwich™

post #1 of 62
What's your perfect sandwich?

Lately, mine has been the following:

-Three seed organic wheat bread from Wegman's (nicely toasted)
-Hot or sweet sopressata
-Roasted red peppers

AND (generously applied to the bread)

either: Extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper
or: horseradish

Buffalo mozzarella adds a nice light touch if you have it.

Slice diagonally.

So what's yours?
post #2 of 62
Maybe it is just me, but that doesn't sound good at all.

*Shudder*

Mine:
Toasted wheat bread w/ seeds & stuff on crust
Sliced California Avocado
Barely any mayo. (like "applied by accident than removed" thickness)
Fresh home-grown tomato
Salt & Pepper
Optional: Bacon or lettuce.
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
post #3 of 62
If I overdosed too much for you on the Italian, wait until you hear Splinemodel's mayo-covered perfect sandwich. Nothing Italian about it. Just very... eggy.

BTW fresh avocado sandwiches are delicious!
post #4 of 62
Here I was thinking I was going to have the only vegitarian selection on the thread.

My perfect sandwich is a soft Italian roll with provolone, lettuce, tomato, olives, and a half-inch layer of peperoncini. Add a generous amount of black pepper, a little olive oil, and then drown it with vinegar. Surprisingly, Subway makes these great if you're in too much of a hurry to make them at home.

My other perfect sandwich is a plain bagel, cream cheese, lox, fresh onion and tomato.

And Shawn's sandwich sounds scrumptious.
post #5 of 62
I don't have one perfect sandwich, but here are some of my favorites:

A cinnamon raisin bagel with raisin walnut cream-cheese from Ess-a-Bage on first ave. Yummy!

A home made BLT on lightly toasted multi-grain bread with a bit mayonnaise.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread.

Turkey on a roll with iceberg lettuce and mayonnaise, with potato salad and some chips.

Prime Rib on garlic bread.

I could go on, but I'm making myself hungry...
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
post #6 of 62
Sandwich. Mmmmmmm

Big fan of...

Hot roast beef with horseradish
Pastrami and gherkin
Parma ham and mozarella

in any kind of fresh granary bread

Hungry now
post #7 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
If I overdosed too much for you on the Italian, wait until you hear Splinemodel's mayo-covered perfect sandwich. . .

Someone ring?

Ever since moving out of sandwich country (the area between Philly and NYC) I've forgotten a lot there is to know about sandwiches. But I did stop in town a few months ago to pick up an annual "heartstopper," which is a cheesesteak with bacon and 2 fried eggs on top, slathered in Russian dressing. The secret is that it has to be cooked on a grill that is never cleaned (due in part to the 24hr nature of the store). It's history in a sandwich!

As far as late night snacks, the one I think you're talking about is the ever popular mayonnaise sandwich. Tasty, but you need good mayonnaise, such as Helman's orignal. Kraft or anything with the word "light" in it won't cut it. I've also dabbled in a new sandwich lately, which is mayonnaise, peanut butter, honey, and whatever else you can throw in there (bananas work well). The secret is you have to fry it up in a skillet also filled with mayo. After coming back from a 13 mile run or a long day at a 6-a-side soccer tournament, it will get you back on your feet.
Cat: the other white meat
post #8 of 62
^You know how to eat

Quote:
Originally posted by Res
Turkey on a roll with iceberg lettuce and mayonnaise, with potato salad and some chips.

I like leftover turkey, cranberry sauce, and horseradish on whatever bread remains from Thanksgiving dinner.
post #9 of 62
Frying something in mayo !!!! I can feel my arteries clogging already.
My favorite 2 are chunky peanut butter and strawberry preserves on toasted honey wheat bread. The second which I always get when in NY is a reuben that is stacked so high with cornbeef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and sauce that it hurts your mouth trying to get a bite.

reg
post #10 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by reg
Frying something in mayo !!!! I can feel my arteries clogging already.

Eh, it's not much worse than oil. Mayo is actually less detrimental than butter, since butter is 80-90% saturated fat, and mayo is mostly unsaturated. I have pretty good cholesterol numbers.

However, I could actually feel my arteries crying for help when I fried 8 pieces of bacon, noticed how much molten lard would go to waste, and decided to fry 3 pieces of bread in the excess. That was a few months ago.
post #11 of 62
The thought of frying stuff in mayo is making me feel a bit queasy at 8.30am.

A friend of mine is renowned for making strawberry jam sandwiches, then deep-frying them in lard.
As one might expect, he is extremely large, and I suspect that his cholesterol numbers are rubbish compared to Splinemodel's.

Even so, I agree that the word 'light' is seldom a good thing in a sandwich
post #12 of 62
Mine is Parma or Serrano ham with Emmental or jarlsberg cheese, dirzzling of olive oil and some pesto, inside a toasted white shandwhich or a baguette.
post #13 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
As far as late night snacks, the one I think you're talking about is the ever popular mayonnaise sandwich. Tasty, but you need good mayonnaise, such as Helman's orignal. Kraft or anything with the word "light" in it won't cut it. I've also dabbled in a new sandwich lately, which is mayonnaise, peanut butter, honey, and whatever else you can throw in there (bananas work well). The secret is you have to fry it up in a skillet also filled with mayo. After coming back from a 13 mile run or a long day at a 6-a-side soccer tournament, it will get you back on your feet.

Concerning Mayo, a chef friend of mine once told me that commercial mayo in most countries taste strange because you really have to use raw egg yolks to get the real mayo taste. Because of salmonella you can get mayo based on raw egg in only a very few countries. Such as Norway, where eggs are guaranteed salmonella free.

I don't know if this is true. But our local mayo absolutly tastes quite different from Helman's and other import brands.
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #14 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by New
I don't know if this is true. But our local mayo absolutly tastes quite different from Helman's and other import brands.

Mayonnaise is actually pretty easy to make, but the home-made stuff doesn't have any sort of preservatives in it, and it doesn't last. Plus, as you noted, you need to find certified "salmonella free" eggs, which can be difficult to find and costly on this side of the pond. The kind made with raw-eggs is the best, but as far as stuff that can be found anywhere, I choose Helmans.
post #15 of 62
What's up with the TM in the title?
post #16 of 62
call me a simplest... wheat bread, miracle whip, and 2 slices of pickle & pimento loaf.

The bored one.
The bored one.
post #17 of 62
How do you guys get your mouths around those sarnies (<---english for sandwhiches) For me if it has more than 2 ingredients, it's a bloody meal not a snack

Mine is wafer thin honey roasted ham, with a speckle of cheese and onion on normal white bread No need to ruin the perfect fussy eaters sarnie with mayo
Mac mini 1.42ghz & OS X Tiger
The best computing platform in the world
Mac mini 1.42ghz & OS X Tiger
The best computing platform in the world
post #18 of 62
Toasted brown wonder bread, crust removed, with a thick layer of expensive duck pate.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #19 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Toasted brown wonder bread, crust removed, with a thick layer of expensive duck pate.

Pate reminds me of liverwurst.
post #20 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent
Pate reminds me of liverwurst.

Its not as good - I bought some liverwurst at Harris Teeter yesterday, because I didn't have time to make it to whole foods.

I can eat a whole pack of duck pate, but after a couple crackers with liverwurst I got that "don't eat any more of this stuff" feeling that I usually get from cheap hot dogs.

Here is another contender - Montreal smoked meat on pumpernickel.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #21 of 62
Funny, the "liverwurst sandwich on squishy bread with a ton of mayonnaise" is one of my all-time favs. I prefer it to pate, since you can really sink your teeth into a nice slab of liverwurst.

I want one now. . . drool.
post #22 of 62
The Fluffernutter is by far the best Sandwich.. with Banana. Reminds me of summer camp when I was about 7. Apparently this is a northeast thing too.
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
post #23 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent
What's up with the TM in the title?

I like to think it stands for a sandwich you claim as your own. Some people have some really unique ones, while others like to keep it simple. Regardless of originality, those are essentially "their" sandwiches. Are you sometimes drawn in the middle of the night, after a 10 mile run, or for a mid-morning snack towards a particular sandwich or two?
post #24 of 62
Subway Footlong Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki on Parmesan Oregano bread
+lettuce
+tomato
+onions
+American cheese
+pickles...a whole lot of pickles
+Sweet Onion sauce
+Mayonnaise

mmmmmmmmm
post #25 of 62
Best with foccacia but baguette will do

+black olives
+olive oil
+mozarella slices
+tomatoe slices
+pepper (grinded, not too well though)
+basil
post #26 of 62
whole wheat toast, mayo, ham, and cheese...warm that up till the ham is hot and the cheese is melted, add Dijon mustard, and if the season is right, fresh tomato and fresh lettuce.
Add some corn chips and salsa and a tall ice tea with lemon and lime and a slice of cheese cake for desert and...damn...
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #27 of 62
my favorite: white cottage bread with smoked turkey, virginia ham, hard salami, and colby cheese. not as complex or extravangant as some on this thread, but damn good anyways. i love my meat...
Macbook Pro
2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo
160GB HD
2GB RAM
Macbook Pro
2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo
160GB HD
2GB RAM
post #28 of 62
My favorite is me between two hot chicks smothered with baby oil and some whip cream...

=)
post #29 of 62
That was almost enough to stop me for a sec.

But that would induce alimony.

For an old ex-midwestern fart this is almost as good:

Big assed poppy seed kaiser roll, with the kind of fresh bread smell that puts you just short of an orgasm. A touch of mustard, some really lean medium rare roast beef and a slice of swiss. Gotta have a dill slice on the side. Don't give me any crap about it's too expensive to trim the ALL fat off the meat. I'll pay an extra buck fifty if you do it right and be back every work day at lunchtime for the next 50 years.

You ever had that feeling at the back of you jaw from eating perfectly cooked roast beast? The one that makes you genetically remember your caveman roots? And forget the asshole in the next cubicle? That's the sandwich I'm talking about. The Vegans will never get it, that's fine, more for me.
post #30 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
Funny, the "liverwurst sandwich on squishy bread with a ton of mayonnaise" is one of my all-time favs. I prefer it to pate, since you can really sink your teeth into a nice slab of liverwurst.

I want one now. . . drool.

My mom loves liverwurst, <shudders> 'nuff said.
post #31 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by ijerry
My favorite is me between two hot chicks smothered with baby oil and some whip cream...

=)

If anyone has tried this or a similar sandwich please share.
post #32 of 62
Quote:

I've had something similar. I put the baby oil and whipped cream on myself, and instead of hot chicks, I used my hand. It's pretty much the same thing.
We're investigating reports of indecent acts being committed at the YMCA.
We're investigating reports of indecent acts being committed at the YMCA.
post #33 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac The Fork
I've had something similar. I put the baby oil and whipped cream on myself, and instead of hot chicks, I used my hand. It's pretty much the same thing.

You could use both hands
post #34 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ

I've tried that sandwich, but without the oil or whipped cream. It was very very good -- a little too much for a regular thing, but great for an occasional treat...
post #35 of 62
A Dinty More -
Corn beef and/or pastrami piled high with coleslaw and Russian dressing on Rye.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #36 of 62
Having just eaten a Heart-Attack on a Plate, I felt inspired enough to revive this thread.

Just take your regular Egg McMuffin and substitute a fine Italian meat like Sopressata. Here's my version:

Multi-Grain English Muffin (buttered on both sides)
Fried Egg (heavily salted and peppered)
Sopressata

Cut in half to see a seductive beauty of a sandwich. Mmm.
post #37 of 62
Quote:
Originally posted by cybermonkey
... sarnies (<---english for sandwhiches)...

You learn something new everyday! I googled "sandwhich", it tried to correct me with "sandwich", but still came up with almost a million hits. Does Google have it in for alternate spellings from Commonwealth countries (although I haven't seen that spelling in Canada)?
post #38 of 62
monte cristo from bennigans with rasberry jam. wild and wonderful
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #39 of 62
Jam
post #40 of 62
1. Toasted Farm bread, melted cheddar cheese, lettuce, bacon and a fried egg. I leave the egg a little runny so the yolk creates a sauce when cut.

2. Prosciutto and buffalo mozzarella.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › The Perfect Sandwich™