or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces two-button mouse [MERGED]

Apple introduces two-button mouse [MERGED]

post #1 of 240
Looks cool, but where is the bluetooth version?! I just ordered a bluetooth mouse for my new mac mini which arrived today. I was a bit miffed when I saw this, but now realise I didn't miss out since there isn't a bluetooth version of this (yet)
post #2 of 240
goto apple.com i didn't see this coming. that mouse is awsome, much better scroll and more things you can do with it. and yet, it still looks like the one button apple mouse. good job apple, very good job
post #3 of 240
I. Will. Be. God. Damned.

Multibutton mouse.

From Apple.
meh
meh
post #4 of 240
Typical Apple.

While I agree that the Bluetooth version should be ready as well, this mouse simply ROCKS!

The beautifully clean appearance of a single-button Apple Mouse with the power of a multi-button mouse and a wonderfully engineered scroll-ball.

Anyone know if they'll be in stores today? If so, I'm on my way!
post #5 of 240
I will wait on the Bluetooth variant but NICE!
post #6 of 240
DONE RIGHT... WOW...
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #7 of 240
If and when the bluetooth option is available, I'll trade in my bluetooth apple mouse. Looks good, if only it was bluetooth!
post #8 of 240
It looks confusing, but I'll probably order one to see what's up.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #9 of 240
post #10 of 240
well, i wouldn't judge it from the pictures ... i guess i'll have to try it out myself. but it does look interesting, and i'm pretty confident that apple has done a nice job with this, since they didn't exactly rush this out the door ...
Unless this is a nude love-in, get the hell off of my property!
Unless this is a nude love-in, get the hell off of my property!
post #11 of 240
okay, apple now owes me $50 for SPITTING COFFEE ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD THIS MORNING.

may i just say, the gloves are OFFICIALLY off.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #12 of 240
threads merged - link no longer needed

The devils that drive us do not discriminate
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
post #13 of 240
No Mighty Mouse for us Aussies
iBook G4 1.2GHz 512MB 10.4.2
3G 15GB iPod
512MB iPod shuffle
iBook G4 1.2GHz 512MB 10.4.2
3G 15GB iPod
512MB iPod shuffle
post #14 of 240
look a beauty mouse
Close the world, open the Next
Close the world, open the Next
post #15 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by rok

may i just say, the gloves are OFFICIALLY off.

Really-- what else to complain about? "G4 is teh sloww"-- oh, wait we'll have Intel CPUs next year. "One Butan!" Oh, wait...

They're slowly crushing all the factors that have tainted the perception of the Mac, right as MS it totally flailing with Longhorn/Vista.

Do what you will, but harm none.

Do what you will, but harm none.

post #16 of 240
Fuck. That's awesome.

And of course, they came up with something that we now can't live without. Not a scroll wheel anymore, heck no. Scrollball. I want one. Hmm all the more incentive to get that Mactel Mini when it's out...
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #17 of 240
Can't you just imagine steve sitting there trying to describe to engineers exactly how the touch sensitivity must feel and act, and exactly where everything must be placed. No wonder it took so long to get this mouse. I am puzzled by the lack of bluetooth, maybe all that touch sensitive stuff eats batteries like crazy?

"Alas the fate of the one-button mouse in todays multibutton world. Who has time for intuitive, elegant design when there is so much clicking to do?" - from apple's site, something says there is still resistance to multi-button mice from within apple.

Also, "Mighty Mouse © Viacom International Inc. All Rights Reserved."
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
post #18 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by Dogcow
I am puzzled by the lack of bluetooth, maybe all that touch sensitive stuff eats batteries like crazy?

well, i have to say that i bought a wireless rf keyboard and mouse back when everyone was getting the itch to be wireless, and really, i'm just not that jazzed about replacing my batteries in my mouse every once in a while, especially when it's working fine one second, then, without warning, it stops, or sputters, then dies. better hope you have a wired mouse in a drawer, or spare batteries, because it can become a finger-twister to remember all of the ways to access stuff via keyboard when you don't have a mouse working.

post #19 of 240
"Mighty Mouse even sounds as good as it feels. The audio feedback built into Mighty Mouse provides an aural sensation that responds to your movements. A tiny speaker inside Mighty Mouse produces button-clicking and Scroll Ball-rolling sound effects."

W

T

F

?
meh
meh
post #20 of 240
One word: FINALLY!!!!!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I...
Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I...
post #21 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by Harald
"Mighty Mouse even sounds as good as it feels. The audio feedback built into Mighty Mouse provides an aural sensation that responds to your movements. A tiny speaker inside Mighty Mouse produces button-clicking and Scroll Ball-rolling sound effects."

W

T

F

?

yep, there's your battery-eater. a speaker AND a laser? but i will bet you, in user testing, the users had a big problem understanding what they were doing with the mouse if it's all one slick housing, so they devised an audible feedback, too. it'll be interesting to see if you can turn it off, or adjust the volume.

you know, the more i look at this, the more i am amazed: it's a mouse, trackpad AND trackball ALL-IN-ONE (i'm not even sure what to classify the "squeezable sides" as)

post #22 of 240
WTF indeed.

EDIT: And now look. In 10.5 the menu bar will be on top of the windows, not the screen
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #23 of 240
As first predicted by AppleInsider in March, Apple today introduced Mighty Mouse, its next generation mouse with multiple buttons and a scroll ball.

Mighty Mouse offers power users up to four independently programmable buttons, without compromising simplicity for users who prefer just a single-button mouse. Mighty Mouse also introduces an ingenious Scroll Ball that lets users scroll in any directionvertically, horizontally and even diagonally. With the Scroll Ball, users can scroll with natural, fluid movements, making Mighty Mouse perfect for applications from viewing web pages and photographs, to video editing and music creation. Mighty Mouse is priced at just $49.

With Mighty Mouse, weve simply built a better mouse, said David Moody, Apples vice president of Worldwide Mac Product Marketing. With its innovative Scroll Ball and unique integration of multiple buttons, Mighty Mouse adds functionality while retaining the elegant, easy-to-use Apple design.

Mighty Mouse is the first multi-button mouse that retains the simplicity of a single-button mouse, and can be used as a single- or multi-button mouse depending on the users preference. Mighty Mouse features a single seamless enclosure with programmable touch sensors that act as primary or secondary buttons. With a simple click on the upper right or left side of the mouse, users can instantly access features such as contextual menus found in Mac OS X and other applications. Mighty Mouses two other buttons are activated by pressing its Scroll Ball and squeezing its sides, and can be easily programmed to give users one-click access to Mac OS X version 10.4.2 Tiger features such as Spotlight , Dashboard and Exposé, or to launch any application such as Safari or iChat.

Mighty Mouse features an easy-to-use design that comfortably fits the left or right hand and an optical tracking engine for responsive and accurate cursor movement on almost any type of surface. With up to four programmable buttons, Mighty Mouse makes it easy to access key features of Tiger with the side buttons and Scroll Ball providing quick, one-click access to Spotlight, Dashboard and Exposé.

Pricing & Availability

Mighty Mouse is available immediately through the Apple Store, at Apples retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $49 (US). Mighty Mouse requires Mac OS X, Windows 2000 or Windows XP and easily connects to Mac and Windows systems; Mac OS X version 10.4.2 Tiger is required to customize buttons for one-click access to Spotlight, Dashboard and Exposé or to launch applications. Mighty Mouse is compatible with either USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 ports.

The first Photos of the mouse have been posted on AppleInsider.
post #24 of 240
WTF? after all the fucking waiting its got a wire attached. Apple design? Where's the bluetooth or even RF? I cant believe that others are saying they think this is an advancement. Apple develops a pro mouse that is a pain to use with their bluetooth enabled laptops. I don't want more wires god knows there is enough coming ou the back of my G5...
post #25 of 240
here's hoping apple had the good sense god gave dirt to PATENT this device so no one else copies it. i guess this is what that "ipod track pad on a mouse" patent we saw was for?

post #26 of 240
ABOUT TIME!!!!
but the smarmy so & so's made sure it still only has one button... Was it really worth that much R&D just to save face? And it's a rort if you can't program it in Panther...

Anyway...

Bluetooth.

NOW!!!!!!!
post #27 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
WTF indeed.

EDIT: And now look. In 10.5 the menu bar will be on top of the windows, not the screen

I hope not .
post #28 of 240
Well, I placed my order with overnight shipping. I will know soon enough if it was worth it. But it just looks so damn useful!! I can't wait!
post #29 of 240
Relax, dude...they'll get a bluetooth version out eventually. I'm pretty sure they'll be just seeing how people like this one, make any necessary adjustments, and then put out a bluetooth version.
Desktop Mac: 2.0GHz iMac Core Duo
Laptop Mac: 1.5GHz PowerBook G4
Desktop Mac: 2.0GHz iMac Core Duo
Laptop Mac: 1.5GHz PowerBook G4
post #30 of 240
OWNED!
post #31 of 240
A shot across Micro$oft's bow... again. Emphasis mine.
Quote:
System Requirements - Mac OS X (programmability requires Mac OS X v10.4.2 Tiger or later), or Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

post #32 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by StealthRider
Relax, dude...they'll get a bluetooth version out eventually. I'm pretty sure they'll be just seeing how people like this one, make any necessary adjustments, and then put out a bluetooth version.

i'm not sure about that. the battey will be a problem. laser, built in speaker, pressure sensing top and wireless? will require a very strong batter, possibly i built it one that needs to be recharged, very expensive and alot in a small little mouse
What does this mean for laptops? the trackpads could use this same type of pressure sensors and they already have the scrolling trackpads
post #33 of 240
"Of course, you can also customize Mighty Mouse to open whatever you choose Spotlight, Dashboard or any application when you have Mac OS X Tiger v10.4.2 or later. "

I've been a long time follower of these forums, and from my experience the gurus usually pick up on support for new hardware that's built into the OS (i.e. new model numbers, etc.). Did we miss something ( ) or was this undetectable?
post #34 of 240
The BT version would need a lith-ion battery and a charging station
post #35 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by DanMacMan
A shot across Micro$oft's bow... again. Emphasis mine.

damn... go apple, go go mighty mouse
.....here to saave the daaaaayyyyyyyyy
post #36 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by AWAL
.... Did we miss something ( ) or... [is]... this undetectable?

The new Mighty Mouse® has built-in, patent-pending, iStealth technology that makes it disappear from sight whenever you walk away from your laptop for just a moment, thus preventing any jealous CrappyMouse® users from stealing it
post #37 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by ijerry
Well, I placed my order with overnight shipping. I will know soon enough if it was worth it. But it just looks so damn useful!! I can't wait!

i'm lucky i cut up my two credit cards a few months ago. and i'm living somewhere where new stuff from apple takes about a month to show up... ah teh joys of living in Malaysistan...
post #38 of 240
It was like ESP - I just suddenly felt the need to visit Apple's website (I also remembered it was Tuesday, and I was a bit bored). And there it was, a multi-button mouse. Wow!

Now, since I won't get to an Apple store until at least the weekend, I have a few thoughts/comments that maybe someone else will be able to clear up.

First, I'm a little leery about the left vs. right touch sensors. When I hold my mouse, I usually rest my first two fingers on each of the buttons. Is it going to sense this and get confused? Is there still a mechanical button that you have to click, and the touchpad only says which finger pushed that button?

Second, I'm actually sort of disappointed in the options available for the squeeze buttons. I really can't see myself using them to launch applications that much. I don't have a Mac yet, so I'm not sure if I'd like the Dashboard or Expose available on my mouse. BUT, the first use that popped into my head was allowing me to move the window I'm currently using without grabbing the title bar. I think I would find it incredibly useful to just aim anywhere in the window I want to move, squeeze, and move. It even seems intuitive to me. However, I don't see any indication that this will be an option. They seem to only talk about Dashboard, Expose, and application launching. Anyone know anything different?
Mmmm... 12" PowerBook - my best computer yet!
Mmmm... 12" PowerBook - my best computer yet!
post #39 of 240
I use my bluetooth mouse about 4 feet from my mac.
Does anyone know how long the usb cord is on Apple corded mice?
Since I ordered the bluetooth set with my iMac I don't have a corded version!
Thanks!
post #40 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyWingman
It was like ESP - I just suddenly felt the need to visit Apple's website (I also remembered it was Tuesday, and I was a bit bored). And there it was, a multi-button mouse. Wow!

Now, since I won't get to an Apple store until at least the weekend, I have a few thoughts/comments that maybe someone else will be able to clear up.

First, I'm a little leery about the left vs. right touch sensors. When I hold my mouse, I usually rest my first two fingers on each of the buttons. Is it going to sense this and get confused? Is there still a mechanical button that you have to click, and the touchpad only says which finger pushed that button?

Second, I'm actually sort of disappointed in the options available for the squeeze buttons. I really can't see myself using them to launch applications that much. I don't have a Mac yet, so I'm not sure if I'd like the Dashboard or Expose available on my mouse. BUT, the first use that popped into my head was allowing me to move the window I'm currently using without grabbing the title bar. I think I would find it incredibly useful to just aim anywhere in the window I want to move, squeeze, and move. It even seems intuitive to me. However, I don't see any indication that this will be an option. They seem to only talk about Dashboard, Expose, and application launching. Anyone know anything different?

That is a marvelous idea! I love it, although expose will have to do for now it seems. Also, the touch pad seems to be non-mechanical, but does provide sound feedback. I am hoping the mouse does not get confused, but I am also speculating that they have done some testing with it as well to have me not be soo concerned with this...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces two-button mouse [MERGED]