or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces two-button mouse [MERGED]

Apple introduces two-button mouse [MERGED] - Page 2

post #41 of 240
"Mighty Mouse © Viacom International Inc. All Rights Reserved." That is what royalties are for and you can be sure Apple has taken care of that one - the name is just too good to pass up. No way would Viacom pass up the money!

I have a feeling that there will be a very short adjustment time for most people and also, if you want to get one, you had better order very quickly. I ordered mine at 8 A.M. and the guy said they were going fast. Another new Apple product that will generate initial demand that far exceeds production capacity. Can you believe that there might actually be a mouse with a 3 - 5 week shipping time!
Ken
Ken
post #42 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by ijerry
...I am also speculating that they have done some testing with it as well to have me not be soo concerned with this...

Ah yes, something I still need to get used to in the Apple World - a company that actually thinks about how their products will be used before releasing them! Although, I have to say that I've never paid much attention to how other people use their mice, so I hope I'm not alone in this finger-resting.
Mmmm... 12" PowerBook - my best computer yet!
Mmmm... 12" PowerBook - my best computer yet!
post #43 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by kenaustus
"Mighty Mouse © Viacom International Inc. All Rights Reserved." That is what royalties are for and you can be sure Apple has taken care of that one - the name is just too good to pass up. No way would Viacom pass up the money!

well, a nice big ass company that decided to play ball with apple. how refreshing
post #44 of 240
Please put this stuff in the correct forum. The mightmouse has been announced so it should be in Current Hardware.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #45 of 240
Looks really cool, and priced nicely compared to other "high-end" mice--but I'd have to know just exactly HOW the left-right sensors work. Could I adapt? Would I even have to?

I don't want to have to lift one finger AWAY from the mouse before clicking down, to make sure the other finger is the one detected.

I think the chances of Apple not having thought this through are low But Apple takes risks in leading people to new ways of working. The price of innovation is that some risks don't work out so well in practice--or not the first time.

And for some common games you need to be able to click the other button while one button is already down. Is there a way that can work with this mouse? Not clear. (I don't thing squeeze or ball would make an deal alt-fire.)

So I'll have to head to the Apple Store and try one

And then I'll await a rechargeable BT version--one without a charger, please. Just a USB cord you use when you need to.

The ball is an utterly obvious solution. How does Apple manage to be first with obvious solutions so much? (But again, I'd have to judge it in person. No tactile feedback, just a speaker? I like the clicks I can feel in my current wheel.)
post #46 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
WTF indeed.

EDIT: And now look. In 10.5 the menu bar will be on top of the windows, not the screen

You hush your mouth.

Do what you will, but harm none.

Do what you will, but harm none.

post #47 of 240
It seems kind of odd. How does a novice user know that they can click left or right? There are no visual cues, and as far as I can tell, no physical ones either.

I can already hear all the calls from parents and grandparents asking what's going on, because when they click they sometimes get a menu and sometimes it acts normally.

That's not to say I dislike it though.

Will this mouse become standard with new Macs?
"Wait while I make my rhymes....I have them now."
"Wait while I make my rhymes....I have them now."
post #48 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyWingman
<snip>

It looks like the sides are programmable as much as anything else, at least it looks like that from the options shown in the gif on this page: http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/software.html

Using the sides to lift your mouse and come down again is pretty common practice, and is what the side panels were originally designed for in the Apple Pro Mouse. (What's better than Pro? Mighty!) Normally, I would also be concerned about this, however, this being Apple, they usually anticipate this stuff well and usually design this stuff just right. I would look at the iPod and its click wheel as an example. Still, it would be best to try this out at the store first.

I'm surprised people aren't throwing a real fit here about the touch-sensitive non-button buttons and the little speaker sounds for clicking and scrolling. There's a lot of that complaint going on at Ars right now, but I don't think they realize what they're in for, Just look at the iPod for what we're probably getting. It's nice to see some of the design of the iPod informing the design of Mac hardware in a substantial way, and I would imagine that this would be a good selling angle for Macs as the exchange continues.

Oh, and you will find Expose incredibly useful, CrazyWingman. I can't tell you how much I miss it here at work. I currently have my middle button set to Expose all windows at home, and I'm always clicking my middle mouse button at work and sighing when I realize just what a PITA it is to dig through windows without it.

[edit]It's fun to watch Anders being dragged kicking and screaming into the new century.
post #49 of 240
gotta love how apple works...of course there is only a USB corded version currently. That way all the early adopters run off and buy the new mouse....3 weeks later, voila! Blue tooth version, now the early adopters go buy ANOTHER mouse. Makes sense. Why sell one when you can sell two? haha.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #50 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by sandau
gotta love how apple works...of course there is only a USB corded version currently. That way all the early adopters run off and buy the new mouse....3 weeks later, voila! Blue tooth version, now the early adopters go buy ANOTHER mouse. Makes sense. Why sell one when you can sell two? haha.

tad bit cyncial, wouldn't you say? how about the fact that an internal speaker firing for every click and roll and laser would eat batteries for lunch.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #51 of 240
Another move by Apple to attract more Switchers

I suspect this move by Apple is to make the Switch To A Mac easier for those Windows users who were unhappy with a single button mouse.

Good Job Apple
post #52 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
tad bit cyncial, wouldn't you say? how about the fact that an internal speaker firing for every click and roll and laser would eat batteries for lunch.

I wonder if a mouse with a dock is coming soon
post #53 of 240
I'm amazed about this whole ordeal. Apple has actually amazed me with this mouse. Would I purchase one? Maybe. .

I'm sure the multbutton sensors have been tested to no ends. I wouldn't expect the unexpected from these mice.

Great show apple!

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #54 of 240
No more 'we need a mutlibutton mouse from Apple' fora!
post #55 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Yohe
I wonder if a mouse with a dock is coming soon

Apple doesn't like to rush things, so I wouldn't wait for either a Bluetooth version, or one with a dock. Jeesh, it took them 21 years just to get to more than one button!
post #56 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by i-am-an-elf
... built in speaker

Apparently, I missed that one.

While we all know a bluetooth model is in the works, who knows how it will operate. I find it funny that in one corner Apple champions rechargeable batteries for your iPod but for their mouse and keyboard use AAs.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #57 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyWingman
First, I'm a little leery about the left vs. right touch sensors. When I hold my mouse, I usually rest my first two fingers on each of the buttons. Is it going to sense this and get confused? Is there still a mechanical button that you have to click, and the touchpad only says which finger pushed that button?

Second, I'm actually sort of disappointed in the options available for the squeeze buttons. I really can't see myself using them to launch applications that much. I don't have a Mac yet, so I'm not sure if I'd like the Dashboard or Expose available on my mouse. BUT, the first use that popped into my head was allowing me to move the window I'm currently using without grabbing the title bar. I think I would find it incredibly useful to just aim anywhere in the window I want to move, squeeze, and move. It even seems intuitive to me. However, I don't see any indication that this will be an option. They seem to only talk about Dashboard, Expose, and application launching. Anyone know anything different?

1. Yes I'm doing that now - hopefully I'll still be able to on the Mighty Mouse.

2. I love your idea; the squeezing of the mouse would be totally natural to picking up a window and moving it. You can select to launch applications, which means this mouse should be AppleScriptable... Although, there really wouldn't be much point in scripting a move command in the past, I'm sure it must be possible.
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #58 of 240
The design of the hardware is cool and the scroll wheel is a GREAT idea, but I think Apple missed the boat on the software for this little guy. You can't use the two side buttons independently of each other? What about clicking back and forward while Web browsing? I'm interested to see what's available under "Other..." in the drop-down menu.

How long do you think it'll take until a third party releases software to make this sucker fully functional for 10.4.1 and below and to maximize the use of all the buttons?
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #59 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
I'm surprised people aren't throwing a real fit here about the touch-sensitive non-button buttons and the little speaker sounds for clicking and scrolling. There's a lot of that complaint going on at Ars right now, but I don't think they realize what they're in for, Just look at the iPod for what we're probably getting. It's nice to see some of the design of the iPod informing the design of Mac hardware in a substantial way, and I would imagine that this would be a good selling angle for Macs as the exchange continues.

Some people are saying that Apple may have been misleading telling us there are no buttons. They're saying that the mouse is almost identical to the current single-button mouse that ships with Macs (but has sensors and the Scroll Ball). They're saying the whole shell may click down mechanically...but will register as a left-click or a right-click depending on which side the finger is clicking.

This mouse would essentially is the best of both worlds...you can use it as a single-button mouse (with a Scroll Ball) or a 4-button mouse (with a Scroll Ball).

The only thing that isn't completely clear (and has been mentioned by at least one other person in this thread) is that I normally rest my index finger on the left-button and middle finger on the right-button. If I don't lift at least one finger up, how will the sensors react? Will it register as a left-click? Or will I accidently trigger context menus. I have no intention of lifting fingers up to left-click or right-click.
post #60 of 240
It's just like my MX510, but for $15 more, with lower tracking accuracy, less buttons, and a white shell that will collect fingerprints and dirt ten times more easily!

Go Apple!

This is, however, good, good, good, good news. Apple has woken up.
post #61 of 240
I still like the Microsoft Mouses, far more ergonomic.
post #62 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Some people are saying that Apple may have been misleading telling us there are no buttons. They're saying that the mouse is almost identical to the current single-button mouse that ships with Macs (but has sensors and the Scroll Ball). They're saying the whole shell may click down mechanically...but will register as a left-click or a right-click depending on which side the finger is clicking.

This mouse would essentially is the best of both worlds...you can use it as a single-button mouse (with a Scroll Ball) or a 4-button mouse (with a Scroll Ball).

The only thing that isn't completely clear (and has been mentioned by at least one other person in this thread) is that I normally rest my index finger on the left-button and middle finger on the right-button. If I don't lift at least one finger up, how will the sensors react? Will it register as a left-click? Or will I accidently trigger context menus. I have no intention of lifting fingers up to left-click or right-click.

I read all the material at Apple's site and it would seem that the act of pressing with the left finger, despite the right finger resting on the mouse, will trigger the correct left click vs. right click. It's the way the sensors "see" more pressure with one finger vs. the other.
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
post #63 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by danielctull
1. Yes I'm doing that now - hopefully I'll still be able to on the Mighty Mouse.

2. I love your idea; the squeezing of the mouse would be totally natural to picking up a window and moving it. You can select to launch applications, which means this mouse should be AppleScriptable... Although, there really wouldn't be much point in scripting a move command in the past, I'm sure it must be possible.

I would imagine that you would have to press down with some pressure to activate it. It shouldn't be any worse than pressing down on an actual button.

I wish this was usable as a trackball. I don't like moving mice around. I prefer the Logitech or MS trackballs with the thumb activated balls. The MS Trackball Optical, which is my main unit, has four buttons and a clickable scroll-wheel.

By the way, one can scroll horizontally now with a regular scroll-wheel by pressing the "shift" key while scrolling. By pressing the "option" key, one can scroll three times as fast, and by pressing both, can scroll three times as fast horizontally. There are other tricks as well.
post #64 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
...the whole shell may click down mechanically...but will register as a left-click or a right-click depending on which side the finger is clicking.

I'd prefer that, but the speaker's inclusion to make the sounds of clicking and scrolling makes me think the only moving part on the mouse is the scroll ball.
post #65 of 240
Was there not a story on AI years ago about a mouse (or a patent for a device) with a 360 degree trackwheel in place of the mouse middle button. I have searched the archives, but cannot find this.

(It may even have been a two button mouse with a small trackpad for 4 plane scrolling...)

I'm sure it was from a patent submission, as the general concenious at the time was that the concept was never actually intened far a mouse, but rather evolved into the iPod scrollwheel.

This is still an interesting read from 5 years ago. What took them so long???
post #66 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by clonenode
I read all the material at Apple's site and it would seem that the act of pressing with the left finger, despite the right finger resting on the mouse, will trigger the correct left click vs. right click. It's the way the sensors "see" more pressure with one finger vs. the other.

geez, if that's the case, they will have really outdone themselves. i am with kks et al. on this: i rest my middle finger on the right mouse button, and then press when necessary. my middle finger would cramp up in a single morning of use. then how would i signal my displeasure to other new orleans drivers on my ride home?!?!?

post #67 of 240
It looks nice but I dont think its enough to stray from my MX500 just yet.
post #68 of 240
Well, two on the way through the EdStore. I'm cheap, though, so I'm taking the free shipping option.

Am looking forward to the wireless version, but the tail-tethered version is fine on the office desk! I do kind of wish I had not just bought the BLUETAKE Bluetooth Mouse for my PowerBook, though.... Can wireless be far behind?
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #69 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
The design of the hardware is cool and the scroll wheel is a GREAT idea, but I think Apple missed the boat on the software for this little guy. You can't use the two side buttons independently of each other? What about clicking back and forward while Web browsing? I'm interested to see what's available under "Other..." in the drop-down menu.

How long do you think it'll take until a third party releases software to make this sucker fully functional for 10.4.1 and below and to maximize the use of all the buttons?

I don't know. Apple says that there are four programmable buttons. To me that means that all four can be used independently. But the quote is confusing.

"programability of a four-button mouse in a single-button design. Click, roll, squeeze and scroll."

This sounds like you need BOTH side buttons at once:

"Change the side buttons from displaying all windows in Exposé to displaying only the windows in the current application."

But this doesn't:

"Launch any application you choose from any button on Mighty Mouse:"

So, maybe the mouse ball is the forth button.

Pretty soon. And maybe functions Apple doesn't have.
post #70 of 240
Here is what the thing looks like. It's very light. I'm going to take it for a spin right now:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1216

Best,

Kasper
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
post #71 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by Kasper
Here is what the thing looks like. It's very light. I'm going to take it for a spin right now:

Best,

Kasper

Are we there yet? Are we there yet?
post #72 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
As first predicted by AppleInsider in March, Apple today introduced Mighty Mouse, its next generation mouse with multiple buttons and a scroll ball.
Mighty Mouse is compatible with either USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 ports.

Not that I understand you rumor sites have to pat yourselves on the back a lot and all, but a few remarks:[list=a][*]People have been predicting a multi-button mouse from Apple for years (I thought I remember the original G5s would have one, let alone last year's updates).[*]Your prediction was for a two-button mouse, not a multi-button or three/four button mouse[*]No mention was made of a scroll-wheel or scroll-ball or anything else.[*]You stated it would be wireless, not wired[*]You had the price at $69 (but I'll give you that, as you thought it was wireless)[*]You said "Insiders warned that anticipation may continue to build for months as the company perfects the product", unfortunately I don't recall any anticipation building for this (maybe there was, but usually anticipation is shown whenever apple updates something, there's the requisite "But where's my Powerbook G5!" or the like). Then again, I'll give you this one as it was what 'insiders' predicted, and no one can really know what's going to get the general populace all excited in anticipation.[/list=a]

BTW, I'm not too sure on that scroll ball thingy. Mouse balls were removed from mice and laptops because they kept crudding up the rollers and would get stuck and such. I think a pointing device (like those on the IBM thinkpads) would be a better mover than a roller-ball. At least you wouldn't have to pull out an Xacto knife to clean the gunk out.
post #73 of 240
"squeezing" is an interesting idea for a mouse action, if they pull it off well. i can imagine emulate a "click and hold" or "click and lock" function to the side buttons. then you hover over a file on the desktop, squeeze will click on the item and hold it. press down on scroll ball to activate expose - all windows. drag item over expose'd (sp?) window, and when it double-blinks, let it go.

post #74 of 240
VERY COOL...

Apple is once again revealing their plans for "World Domination" and this little squeeker proves that the future for Apple is going to be incredible. Ever the innovator, Apple is looking far into the future and I like it!

Jump aboard you PC smucks or forever be left behind!

On the horizon:
New iPod Phone - will BLOW-U-AWAY!!!!!

"Think Alike... BE Different!"
never say never!
never say never!
post #75 of 240
This scroll configuration sounds great for Photoshop users, but I'd like to scroll straight down a page instead of careening side to side, thank you very much.
post #76 of 240
This left-right-diagonal scrolling is silly. How often do you actually scroll left or right, much less diagonally? 99% of all scrolling is up-down, when reading web pages, scrolling through finder windows, font lists, whatever.

I have a Logitech mouse with the tiltable scroll wheel that basically clicks to the left or right (Microsoft mice have it too) and I've set it to switch between tabs in Safari or Firefox. It's the greatest thing, and I can't stop using it.

Also, back and forward buttons (especially the "back" button) are amazingly important to have on the mouse, in browsers as well as the finder. And shift-click (open in new window or new tab) is also hugely helpful as a mouse button when browsing.

Apple should consider the purposes of multiple buttons and scroll wheels before just coming up with whiz-bang technology. The biggest reason for extra functions on a mouse is to keep you from having to mouse all over the screen to perform basic actions. Activating Expose could be a good use... I hope it activates F9 (all windows) and the fancy little ball then allows you to quickly scroll to the window you want.

I'm curious to see this thing, but I can't imagine it'll wow me. However, they should start including it with all new Macs immediately. While it may not be the best ever multi-button mouse, it's sure better than their wheel-less single button mouse.

:d
post #77 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by Carson O'Genic
No more 'we need a mutlibutton mouse from Apple' fora!

Wanna bet?

Instead, we're going to see the "It should be the default!" whining.

Oh wait, it just started...

My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #78 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by Kasper

Best,

Kasper

Can you please include the length of the cord in your report??
Thanks!
post #79 of 240
Quote:
Originally posted by dak splunder
This left-right-diagonal scrolling is silly. How often do you actually scroll left or right, much less diagonally? 99% of all scrolling is up-down, when reading web pages, scrolling through finder windows, font lists, whatever.

I have a Logitech mouse with the tiltable scroll wheel that basically clicks to the left or right (Microsoft mice have it too) and I've set it to switch between tabs in Safari or Firefox. It's the greatest thing, and I can't stop using it.

Also, back and forward buttons (especially the "back" button) are amazingly important to have on the mouse, in browsers as well as the finder. And shift-click (open in new window or new tab) is also hugely helpful as a mouse button when browsing.

Apple should consider the purposes of multiple buttons and scroll wheels before just coming up with whiz-bang technology. The biggest reason for extra functions on a mouse is to keep you from having to mouse all over the screen to perform basic actions. Activating Expose could be a good use... I hope it activates F9 (all windows) and the fancy little ball then allows you to quickly scroll to the window you want.

I'm curious to see this thing, but I can't imagine it'll wow me. However, they should start including it with all new Macs immediately. While it may not be the best ever multi-button mouse, it's sure better than their wheel-less single button mouse.

:d

Remember what Macs are often used for. When in Photoshop, FCP, or any publishing program, I find horizontal scrolling with the "shift-scroll" combination to be an invaluble time saver. This should be even easier, though, along with Placebo, I wonder if I can scroll straight ahead, or with wavy lines. But I use a trackball anyway so...
post #80 of 240
Well look at it this way...a webpage or text document that doesn't spill over horizontally will only scroll up and down no matter how you roll the ball. What do you care if you're not scrolling straight down or up if your image file has vertical and horizontal scrollbars?

99% of scrolling might be vertical but for those 1% times, it's nice to have horizontal scrolling without the need to hold down a keyboard key.

Besides...you can disable horizontal scrolling within the Mouse preference pane.

PS: back/forward buttons on a mouse is a stupid idea. Multi-button mice have had these buttons for a long time but they're definitely not important buttons to have unless you spend your entire days browsing the web. Buttons are better used for oft-used system-wide functions. And per-app button programming (other than perhaps games) can be problematic.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces two-button mouse [MERGED]