or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft to roll-out Messenger 5.0 for Mac

Microsoft to roll-out Messenger 5.0 for Mac

post #1 of 67
Microsoft on Tuesday is expected to announce the immediate availability of Microsoft Messenger for Mac 5.0 with improved security and broader collaboration features, AppleInsider has learned.

According to sources, the free software should be available for download from Microsoft's Mactopia website by morning. It will feature an evolved user interface to better match that of Mac OS X, security enhancements, and other new features currently available with the Windows version.

Additionally, the new Mac version will sport a dual-tab interface to separate corporate and personal messaging accounts, integration with the Global Address List, and enhancements to overall usability.

Sources say the software will allow users to post separate away messages to their personal and client messaging accounts as well as offer improved integration with corporate messaging. The software will feature support for animated emoticons, inline user photos, and other refinements to match the experience of Messenger for Windows.

Microsoft Messenger for Mac 5.0 is expected to make realtime communication and collaboration easier and more secure for corporate Mac customers through added support for Microsoft's Live Communications Server 2005.

When used in conjunction with Live Communication Server and a Public IM Connectivity license, users will be able to communicate with and add users from other messaging services (AIM, Yahoo, etc.) Â*to their corporate messaging tab.

Microsoft last updated Messenger for Mac in October of 2004, when it released Messenger version 4.0.1.
post #2 of 67
How about rolling out Windows Media Player 10 for the Mac?

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

post #3 of 67
Does anyone know if it will be able to do video-chat?
post #4 of 67
How about Outlook and Access? For better acceptance of Macs in a corporate environment.
post #5 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Guartho
Does anyone know if it will be able to do video-chat?

It won't be able to. Everyone knew it was coming out on the 9th, it's been up for ages! I posted this over at macrumors:
" Today, 05:37 PM\t #45
the-fish
macrumors newbie

http://www.microsoft.com/nz/mac/messenger/default.aspx

The help files for version 5 are back up, the link is http://help.msn.com/EN_US/frameset_...MSN%20Messenger

I think it's being released soon"
They say there is no conspiracy, but I *am* the
conspiracy...
conspiracy...
post #6 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by the_fish_v2
It won't be able to. Everyone knew it was coming out on the 9th, it's been up for ages! I posted this over at macrumors:
" Today, 05:37 PM\t #45
the-fish
macrumors newbie

http://www.microsoft.com/nz/mac/messenger/default.aspx

The help files for version 5 are back up, the link is http://help.msn.com/EN_US/frameset_...MSN%20Messenger

I think it's being released soon"

Hey there,

How come this new version still won't be able to do video chat? It's really annoying! I've used Adium, and iVisit, and AIM.. I still prefer MSN though. Hmmm.. but it's pretty cool that you knew way before many of us did though!
post #7 of 67
I still can't get WMP to work with Tiger.

What's that about?
post #8 of 67
I'd much rather see iChat able to communicate with MSN Messenger accounts, as it can with AIM accounts. I like iChat, and would prefer to use only one messenger client.

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPad Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPad Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

post #9 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by JimDreamworx
How about Outlook and Access? For better acceptance of Macs in a corporate environment.

Question and answer in same post
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #10 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Apparatus

What's that about?

I had an issue with WMP playing videos on CNN. Found I had a Disabled Folder in my Internet Plugins folder that contained WMP. Took it out of the disabled folder and put it in the plugins folder. All good. (Well as good as WMP can get anyway.)
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #11 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by c2poon
Hey there,

How come this new version still won't be able to do video chat? It's really annoying! I've used Adium, and iVisit, and AIM.. I still prefer MSN though. Hmmm.. but it's pretty cool that you knew way before many of us did though!

Thanks. And they said no there's no such thing as a hacker who uses Macs!
i'm not actually from new zealand i just have scripts running to research stuff.
Apparently they pulled the webcam for mac idea because they'd have to change the msn server configuration or something and obviously microshaft are too lazy to actually do that; they don't care if they're neglecting one of their markets i suppose
conspiracy...
conspiracy...
post #12 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by the_fish_v2
Thanks. And they said no there's no such thing as a hacker who uses Macs!
i'm not actually from new zealand i just have scripts running to research stuff.
Apparently they pulled the webcam for mac idea because they'd have to change the msn server configuration or something and obviously microshaft are too lazy to actually do that; they don't care if they're neglecting one of their markets i suppose

No WebCam?! I don't care about dancing emoticons. Only one friend I know has AIM or iChat. Every one else has Yahoo and MSN. Jeez, this is dissapointing Micropoop.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #13 of 67
I like iChat, but MSN's dual personal/work accounts is a nice thing.
post #14 of 67
but they still aren't implementing the games section are they?.. no minesweepers against your 'other' friends
post #15 of 67
Adium, Adium, Adium.

A chatting client without tabs is worthless.

Beyond lame.
post #16 of 67
I haven't installed any Microsoft software on my Mac. For you current Messenger users, how is it? Do you find it stable and easy to use?

Thanks
post #17 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by amac4me
I haven't installed any Microsoft software on my Mac. For you current Messenger users, how is it? Do you find it stable and easy to use?

Thanks

It's very stable and easy to use, but very, very limited. It has just about the same feature set as WebMessenger, except with no animated emoticons...
conspiracy...
conspiracy...
post #18 of 67
If you need an all-in-one messenger client that supports AIM, MSN, Yahoo! and more, it's waiting right here .
post #19 of 67
It would be so mint if iChat could connect to the MSN network
post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by kiwimac
It would be so mint if iChat could connect to the MSN network

You can, by going through Jabber!
post #21 of 67
Try Mercury for an MSN messengerclient that allows video and tabbed chat.
http://www.mercury.to/
post #22 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by tirefire
If you need an all-in-one messenger client that supports AIM, MSN, Yahoo! and more, it's waiting right here .

I forget does adium support multi users for the same protocol? ie multiple MSN accounts at the same time?
post #23 of 67
Its about damn time!
post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by KeyMACer
I forget does adium support multi users for the same protocol? ie multiple MSN accounts at the same time?

Yes, I believe it does.

Adium is still early days, but you can configure it to be as good, better in my experience than Microsoft's Messenger. They seem to be ahead of MS so far and I believe they are looking to implement games and video chat into it one day.
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #25 of 67
There was over 22 000 signings for this next version of mac messenger over at PetitionOnline, and i think that the majority of people would be quite dissapointed with this version. All i hear so far is that you get emoticons, and still cant use video chat or online games.
Would it really be worth living in a world without television - Krusty the Klown
Would it really be worth living in a world without television - Krusty the Klown
post #26 of 67
I for one am excited about this new release of Messenger. I've been looking forward to using emoticons since 1998.

Please. "MSN to roll-out Messenger 5.0 for Mac" <- who, honestly, cares?

I just don't understand how such lame software continues to exist based merely on the "name brand"... no tabs? no multi-protocol? What's the game?

AdiumX, Proteus, or any of the INSANELY GREAT software out there runs circles around this bloatware. Oh wait... hang on, instead of paying shareware, maybe I'll donate 5% of my screen to flashing ads... hey, at least it's Microsoft-Approved software! Gee, I don't know about using this "adium" thing... I'm not even sure how to pronounce it...

Sorry, I'll get flamed for this rant I know. If anyone else wrote a program like Messenger 5 and put it in the forums, I promise no one would care.
post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by rdas7
Sorry, I'll get flamed for this rant I know. If anyone else wrote a program like Messenger 5 and put it in the forums, I promise no one would care.

While true, the big problem with Adium, Proteus and multi-IM clients is that their using reverse-engineered protocols. They're not the ones that are in control. I love the idea of having on IM client do everything (a lot do) but I'm not so sure about sacrificing stability over it. Adium and the likes have to be updated on a regular basis to keep up with the official protocols.

I love Adium and Proteus but nothing beats official support from the original company.

That said, I'm very sad MS just doesn't care enough to bring the full feature set to Mac.

Messenger and Media Player for Mac are right up there with the most disgusting apps out on Mac.

Yahoo and MS (and AIM) have really have issues when it comes to this stuff. I'm glad Apple stepped up and released iChat. We can at least get decent AIM/ICQ IM chatting (official support to boot).

At least with MSN 5, we're getting a few more needed features. Unfortunately, on the PC, MSN has grown into a monster. Bloatware at its finest...with games, huge emoticons, flashy gizmos that have nothing to do with chatting.

IMO, it's debatable how much of that garbage should be ported over to the Mac version. Some would argue that it's important to have full compatibility with the PC version (I think it's important) but some would argue that some of these features are annoying and useless (I really don't want large emoticons obscuring the entire screen when I'm using my computer).

MSN Messenger isn't a pure chat-client anymore...it's a platform. Chat, play games, share pictures, files. The purpose of MSN Messenger is blurred. I'd rather see several different apps than one big one.

Anyways...I'm off on a tangent. What I really want to say is that some people like the official apps because they're for sure going to work...it's just too bad MS (and Yahoo and AIM) cripple these apps so badly when Apple at least offers full iTunes and QuickTime instead of a one-legged mutant version of these apps.

It's bad practice...and it's why I hate Microsoft. They're playing unfairly and I don't think that's right.
post #28 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
I love the idea of having on IM client do everything (a lot do) but I'm not so sure about sacrificing stability over it. Adium and the likes have to be updated on a regular basis to keep up with the official protocols.

I love Adium and Proteus but nothing beats official support from the original company.

<snip>

Anyways...I'm off on a tangent. What I really want to say is that some people like the official apps because they're for sure going to work...

Right, but the important distinction to make here is that Adium (for instance) *is* stable. It *does* work. I wouldn't call Messenger any more or less "stable"... Plus Adium is updated frequently (I believe people had to PETITION Microsoft for an update to their software). Adium incorporates support for things like Growl and AppleScript, etc... as well as protocols from Gadu-Gadu to AIM. Completely customizable interface, tabs, multiple accounts, etc...

I just get the picture that the MS developers dont' really use computers all that much. Or at least, only occasionally browse the internets. How could you officially release software that is so blatently poor? And take so long to do it?

Oh wait, I think I'm off on a tangent too. Were we talking about their operating system or their messenger client? :/
post #29 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by rdas7
Right, but the important distinction to make here is that Adium (for instance) *is* stable. It *does* work. I wouldn't call Messenger any more or less "stable"... Plus Adium is updated frequently (I believe people had to PETITION Microsoft for an update to their software). Adium incorporates support for things like Growl and AppleScript, etc... as well as protocols from Gadu-Gadu to AIM. Completely customizable interface, tabs, multiple accounts, etc...

I just get the picture that the MS developers dont' really use computers all that much. Or at least, only occasionally browse the internets. How could you officially release software that is so blatently poor? And take so long to do it?

I agree on pretty much everything.

It's still nice (even though the effort is poor and the updates are far and few) to see continued work on the official client. At least they didn't pull an Internet Explorer: mac on us. Could you imagine if they dropped MSN Messenger support from Mac? Some people that refuse to use Adium or Proteus even though they work better and have more features than the official client would switch to PC.

Yahoo has essentially abandoned the Mac for its IM client. Pretty sad really.

From the looks of it MSN 5 is a complete rewrite (probably Cocoa)...if the app is released today, we'll know for sure if it's a rewrite or not. If it is a rewrite, there is a much better chance that the code will be easier to maintain. The official MSN Messenger's future looks brighter than it did a before this announcement (or before screenshots of MSN Messenger 5 were shown).

Official support is always a good thing (even if the third-party products do it better.) Some people like the simplicity of iChat and Messenger over the flexibility of Adium, Proteus, Trillian.

edit: apparently the new Messenger is in .NET not Cocoa.
post #30 of 67
Whoa! i've just downloaded Adium.. and it's pretty sweet.. well.. it doesn't have the cam feat. but it still kicks ass.. i've also tried that jabber-msn thingy.. it's a big disappointment.. IMO, adium is waaaaaaaaaaay better than that pathetic crappy msn messenger.. i bet that 5.0 is an other load of crap.. oh well.. what else do you expect from microsuck...?
post #31 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Yahoo has essentially abandoned the Mac for its IM client. Pretty sad really.

The current version of Yahoo! Messenger for Mac is pretty decent; it has webcam and everything...
conspiracy...
conspiracy...
post #32 of 67
Ok, it has been released into the wild - but not on microsoft's web pages!
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Apparatus

What's that about?

You need to go to home/library/preferences and trash the "window media player preferences" probably all the way on the bottom of the list. Should work after that...
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
post #34 of 67
where is it then? There's a link to download on the Australian site but it doesn't work yet.
iBook G4 1.2GHz 512MB 10.4.2
3G 15GB iPod
512MB iPod shuffle
iBook G4 1.2GHz 512MB 10.4.2
3G 15GB iPod
512MB iPod shuffle
post #35 of 67
I meant that it has been announced, but no download!

I'm sure the Mac BU at Microsoft are not responsible for this...
post #36 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Marsh
I'd much rather see iChat able to communicate with MSN Messenger accounts, as it can with AIM accounts. I like iChat, and would prefer to use only one messenger client.

why should any apple person be using a MS product when apple should develope a quality alternative. OK to get ichat to work with MSM you have to have the guts and patience to do the jabber work around---huh what gives apple. I chat should work with the top IM software. if my friends have 3 different IM clients , what do we do? more and more people are going tiger and apple so lets get ichat up to speed.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #37 of 67
where is it?!

the worst crappyware is the kind you cannot download.

other notable msn client is aMSN. It's decent, not perfect. It hasn't been updated for a while tho.

Mercury is nice because it has a broad set of features but unfortunately it seems to be coded in Java so it's painfully slow. Irritating sometimes.

Adium is as good as it gets.

Personally I'll be satisfied with full emoticon support (show, receive, send, save), display pictures, personal messages and iTunes-song-as-a-personal-message. Everything else doesn't do much for me.
post #38 of 67
The screenshots and info are on the Microsoft website now but the download link isn't working.
post #39 of 67
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #40 of 67
is adium easy to set up? does it include a good user guide. if i can keep away from MS i'd like to. what about virus and worms?
so would you use adium or MS when the downloard for 5.0 appears???
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft to roll-out Messenger 5.0 for Mac