or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Cubase VST/32 5.1 is out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cubase VST/32 5.1 is out

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I was checking Steinberg's website and found that there is a new version of Cubase out. It seems like a pretty significant upgrade and is in a new package and everything. I believe this was released pretty recently since I only saw 5.0 in the last catalog I got from Sam Ash. I checked out the specs and system requirements and alas, it doesn't work in X! This sucks considering I want to use OS X full-time and I was looking into getting this program since it seems to be a top notch pro audio app. If this has been out a while now is there going to be a Cubase 6 coming soon? Hopefully they will get an OS X version out very soon. I think I heard about Logic 5 coming to X, is that good?

Here's the site: <a href="http://www.steinberg.net/products/ps/cubase/mac/vst32/index.phtml?sid=07173831" target="_blank">http://www.steinberg.net/products/ps/cubase/mac/vst32/index.phtml?sid=07173831</a>

Looks pretty sweet to me.
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
post #2 of 17
TW99-

If you're going to move to OSX full time, what audio interface are you going to use? Or are you just using Cubase for midi? The only audio interfaces I've seen with OSX capability are the Midiman & M-Audio ones, which are sort of at the low end of "pro audio" gear.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Well I don't have any hardware, so I would just be looking at doing MIDI stuff.
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
post #4 of 17
I am just so pissed at MOTU I could spit! I'm gonna sell my 2408-II and buy something else!

GaaaHH! too..... much..... caffeine!
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
When is Steinberg gonna give us Cubase X! This is like a main app I wanna use when I get a new PowerMac. Logic 5 is coming to OS X very soon though and it looks quite good. I think that will turn out to be my audio app. Which is better?
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
post #6 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:
<strong>When is Steinberg gonna give us Cubase X! This is like a main app I wanna use when I get a new PowerMac. Logic 5 is coming to OS X very soon though and it looks quite good. I think that will turn out to be my audio app. Which is better?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Its a matter of personal opinion they both can do the same stuff . I used to use cubase, but am in the process of switching to Logic to try it out, its alot more "grown up" in my opinion, and I like the interface better, plus steinberg sucks as a company. You guys should check out Reason at <a href="http://www.propellerheads.se" target="_blank">the Propellerheads site</a> I swear by this program and its also a velocity engine app. I'm not sure if it works in X as i havent tried but if it does'nt it deff will soon, these guys are hardcore mac users.

acually i just read that all of Propellerhead appz are going X, so deff check them out you can download a demo. Once you use reason you wont be able to stop

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Ti Fighter ]</p>
post #7 of 17
[quote]I am just so pissed at MOTU I could spit! I'm gonna sell my 2408-II and buy something else! <hr></blockquote>

Why you mad at them? Just curious I have the 2408 and like it. I also just upgraded to DP3 from Audiodesk.
post #8 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by trick fall:
<strong>

Why you mad at them? Just curious I have the 2408 and like it. I also just upgraded to DP3 from Audiodesk.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was just having a caffeine-induced freakout. I'm actually pissed at MOTU for not releasing any OSX audio drivers yet, but I do applaud them for releasing OSX midi drivers. So my midi driver is fixed, but my 2408 mkII still keeps me booting into OS9.

Even if they just released an OSX driver for the 828, it would be worth it to me to sell my 2408 and buy the 828. That way I'd have an interface for my iBook at performances.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Yeah I've heard about Reason. Can you write music scores and stuff on t? Also I tried downloading the demo and can never get it to download. Weird.
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
post #10 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:
<strong>I was checking Steinberg's website and found that there is a new version of Cubase out. It seems like a pretty significant upgrade and is in a new package and everything. I believe this was released pretty recently since I only saw 5.0 in the last catalog I got from Sam Ash. I checked out the specs and system requirements and alas, it doesn't work in X! This sucks considering I want to use OS X full-time and I was looking into getting this program since it seems to be a top notch pro audio app. If this has been out a while now is there going to be a Cubase 6 coming soon? Hopefully they will get an OS X version out very soon. I think I heard about Logic 5 coming to X, is that good?

Here's the site: <a href="http://www.steinberg.net/products/ps/cubase/mac/vst32/index.phtml?sid=07173831" target="_blank">http://www.steinberg.net/products/ps/cubase/mac/vst32/in dex.phtml?sid=07173831</a>

Looks pretty sweet to me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Cubase 6.0 is nowhere close and it`s not even decided yet, whether it will be carbonized at all.
Steinberg primarily serves PC users now. Nuendo will soon be available on X pretty soon and it is better anyway, just not for MIDI.

Logic 5.0 is READY for X and available by the end of the month or beginning of Feb. and is a great app. to look at.

MOTU I don`t know, must be working on it, just like Digidesign- MWNY at the earliest
post #11 of 17
Man, I'm gonna switch to Logic! Those Emagic guys really support the Mac, too.

I just ordered the new Sound Diver today, BTW. Not OSX ready, but that's OK since I'm running OS9 on my audio/midi Powermac anyway.
post #12 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:
<strong>Man, I'm gonna switch to Logic! Those Emagic guys really support the Mac, too.

I just ordered the new Sound Diver today, BTW. Not OSX ready, but that's OK since I'm running OS9 on my audio/midi Powermac anyway.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Steinberg- PC Support first

Emagic- Mac Support first, it`s as simple as that
post #13 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:
<strong>Yeah I've heard about Reason. Can you write music scores and stuff on t? Also I tried downloading the demo and can never get it to download. Weird.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yea you can do anything you want just in reason.

weird the download works for me
post #14 of 17
[quote]Even if they just released an OSX driver for the 828, it would be worth it to me to sell my 2408 and buy the 828. That way I'd have an interface for my iBook at performances. <hr></blockquote>

Ahhh, an 828 and Ti Book are something I dream about. I'm actually having a problem now because my SCSI card is messing up DP3, the wiper and time counters have a bad stutter.
post #15 of 17
I've not seem score writing in Reason. It's more of a Rebirth on 'roids. I actually don't like it that much, but I know I'm in the minority.

I thought emagic admitted that the OS X version isn't actually going to ship for some time, well after the OS9 release.

At the very least, Steinberg isn't getting our hopes up over Cubase. 5.1 has been out for months now, but there is a new public beta that is out, but not announced, which is suppose to fix some graphical problems and some AMP issues. I'm still stuck at 4.1 myself.

I'm probably going to give Logic another shot soon, but I don't foresee myself giving up on Cubase just because emagic keeps promising, but not delivering, Logic for OS X (orinally slated for September???).
post #16 of 17
Belle claims in another thread that Emagic has already announced Logic for OSX, but I'm not sure we aren't mixing up Logic 5 (for OS9) and Logic for OSX.
post #17 of 17
There's a discussion about the mysteries of Logix 5 for OS X at cubase.net:
<a href="http://linux1723.dn.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/007358.html" target="_blank">http://linux1723.dn.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/007358.html</a>
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Cubase VST/32 5.1 is out